• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys 7 - US Release August 17th - $29.99 retail and PSN |OT|

suikodan

I finished the game earlier this week and I really loved it. I arrived at the last boss and got owned. My first party was not strong enough, especially since its members weren't the ones used the most.

I did grind inside the two last areas of the Well of souls and it went very well to gain XP and Soul stones. I didn't synthesize everything but there wasn't much that was missing. The first part of the last boss is the hardest and everything went fine after that. I'm surprised about people having trouble with the Adol part because I thought it was the easiest.

I am very satisfied with this game. The story isn't Oscar material but it's standard Ys lore.

I wish they'd go back to Ys sometime.

yes, the last
adol solo section was pretty easy if you compare it to other bosses on nightmare, i agree, one of few i beat on my first try actually. also it was a nice tribute to classic Ys gameplay. it felt so satisfying.

Very late to the party, but the OT of this game deserves the bump - if I can convince one extra GAF member to purchase this gem the bump was worth it.

I bought the game on a whim to play on a long flight back in November, never having played an Ys game before. I initially played the first 20 hours or so and then I forgot about it for a while, even though I really enjoyed it. I picked it up again last weekend and played through the remaining few hours. I beat the game last night and I was sad that it had ended. I enjoyed the fast pacing and awesome music. Graphics are fine too: a solid frame-rate and such a smooth overall feeling - helped by the fact that loading is so fast.

I have to admit I forgot the details & twists of the storyline due to the extended break, but that didn't take away anything from the awesome gameplay. Collecting loot is so much fun that I kept grinding for the heck of it, collecting every single item that spawned from enemies.

What I love about the game is the fact that the first time you encounter a boss, you think: I will never make it! But after observing his patterns and possibly an accessory or so it suddenly becomes possible, even without grinding. Such a great feeling of accomplishment. Only the last boss was truly nasty, I had to level to 61-62 or so (on Normal) before I beat him. My cheeks were flushed, my hands cramped and I screamed out loud when he went down (only to be awarded with a raised eyebrow from my wife). Shame that there are no optional bosses or quest after you finish it.

I just checked and Oath is (finally!) available on PSN, so I guess I'll jump into that next.

vocab

Anyone notice some frame rate problems with the UMD version of the game? The game will craw at certain sections of the world (random corner near old town or some section of that sand town), and I did Aishas super, and killed like 4 enemies at a time, and the screen just froze for 3 seconds.

Is my PSP fucked up or what? I didn't notice any of these issues until 8 hours in to the game. MY PSP randomly shut off (not sure if I bumped into the power switch), and I start notcing all these problems.

swordfishtrombones said:
I just checked and Oath is (finally!) available on PSN, so I guess I'll jump into that next.

You know, i thought i was going to love the crap out of Oath, but I just dont think it stands up to 7. The addition of the dodges and command guarding makes the game way more hectic. That isnt to say that Oath isnt a good game, because it is, but it is comparatively older fashioned. There are some optional side bosses at the end of the Oath that I wont spoil, but I havent bothered to do them and i never will. If someone told me there was going to be side bosses in ys 7 i would scream just like you did.

Also, YS 7 has a better soundtrack than Oath. Yeah, I said it.

vocab said:
Anyone notice some frame rate problems with the UMD version of the game? The game will craw at certain sections of the world (random corner near old town or some section of that sand town), and I did Aishas super, and killed like 4 enemies at a time, and the screen just froze for 3 seconds.

Is my PSP fucked up or what? I didn't notice any of these issues until 8 hours in to the game. MY PSP randomly shut off (not sure if I bumped into the power switch), and I start notcing all these problems.

sounds like there is something wrong with your PSP. i didn't have those problems in my playthrough.

Just downloaded this off of the PSN. So far i am loving this game! The gameplay is fluid, and the music is really good. I would love a game like this in HD on the 360, with graphics like Tales Of Vesperia.

grendelrt

Gillian Seed said:
Just downloaded this off of the PSN. So far i am loving this game! The gameplay is fluid, and the music is really good. I would love a game like this in HD on the 360, with graphics like Tales Of Vesperia.

I am hoping Falcom makes the next game for Vita and we get hi res goodness.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Been playing this a lot lately, finished it today. I'm not very experienced when it comes to the Ys series, as I've only played Ys 6 for PS2 before. I liked that game, also liked this!

Great music and fun, quick battles. Graphics were good, maybe a bit lacking but I guess I shouldn't be expecting AAA quality from a game like this (also limited by PSP hardware, I'm sure). It moves at a fast pace, so that's good enough for me. I also liked how they handled the team mechanism; I was worried my team-mates would act stupid and get killed but it seems like the game compensate a lot for the fact that you can't control them.

The pacing of the game was kind of slow at first, more story/character exposition than I had expected (compared to Ys 6). Story itself, along with the characters, felt pretty standard, but it did have a few unexpected twists that I appreciated. Towards the end, I thankfully discovered, by mistake, the magic that is the fast forward button! Awesome! Wish more games had features like that. :)

So yeah, definitely a fun game that kept me hooked... thinking of moving on to another Ys game on PSP now. What should I go for, Oath in Felghana?

krYlon

Kiriku said:
Been playing this a lot lately, finished it today. I'm not very experienced when it comes to the Ys series, as I've only played Ys 6 for PS2 before. I liked that game, also liked this!

Great music and fun, quick battles. Graphics were good, maybe a bit lacking but I guess I shouldn't be expecting AAA quality from a game like this (also limited by PSP hardware, I'm sure). It moves at a fast pace, so that's good enough for me. I also liked how they handled the team mechanism; I was worried my team-mates would act stupid and get killed but it seems like the game compensate a lot for the fact that you can't control them.

The pacing of the game was kind of slow at first, more story/character exposition than I had expected (compared to Ys 6). Story itself, along with the characters, felt pretty standard, but it did have a few unexpected twists that I appreciated. Towards the end, I thankfully discovered, by mistake, the magic that is the fast forward button! Awesome! Wish more games had features like that. :)

So yeah, definitely a fun game that kept me hooked... thinking of moving on to another Ys game on PSP now. What should I go for, Oath in Felghana?

yes, oath in felghana for sure. I still think its the best ys game out there

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
This game is $14.99 on PSN and it is AMAZING. I couldn't pass at that price, and the battle system is just so fluid and satisfying. I can't speak of the story, but the locales are gorgeous. I loved the character aesthetic of Suikoden III and they seemed to have been inspired a bit from it, love it.

This game is $14.99 on PSN and it is AMAZING. I couldn't pass at that price, and the battle system is just so fluid and satisfying. I can't speak of the story, but the locales are gorgeous. I loved the character aesthetic of Suikoden III and they seemed to have been inspired a bit from it, love it.

Already bought :), It's waiting for my Vita to come. Only 2 month and 12 days left

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Already bought :), It's waiting for my Vita to come. Only 2 month and 12 days left

I'm still wondering how the upscaling works, is it up-rezing or just blowing up the psp image?

I'm still wondering how the upscaling works, is it up-rezing or just blowing up the psp image?

Details are still sketchy as we haven't really seen it in motion(except for that 2 min MHP3 demo at the Vita reveal) but I would say it does uprez since Vita is 2 times PSP rez but I'm not sure if the emulator renders the game at Vita native rez. The emulation is supposed to be really good,only 12 more days and we'll get impressions from Japan-GAF.

I can't wait to play the game nonetheless, I might just borrow a friend's PSP to do it.

mattiewheels

You should borrow, it's my favorite arpg in a really long time. Re-play it on Vita!

mattiewheels

Bukana

Sorry to bump this thread, I didn't want to make a new thread while this awesome OT is around.

So, I am kind of stuck and I don't know where to go ...
I got the "Royal Signet" and I am supposed to take a boat to get to the island, but I don't know who to talk to, to get there, I talked to everyone in the city but nothing happened

EDIT: Nevermind.

I'm playing this on vita for the first time and i'm really loving it so far. It feels a bit low budget, but the gameplay is really addictive. I'm completely hooked, much better than many jrpgs released in the last few years.

What's the lenght of the game? I'm playing it so much i actually fear i'm going to finish it too soon.

Top Bottom