• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys 7 - US Release August 17th - $29.99 retail and PSN |OT|

7Th

Man, this game sure got fucking awesome after
Adol got framed for the assasination of Aisha's father

leehom

Only 3 hours in the game, been grinding a little (not sure why). Just got to the second town and I'm loving the game so far. I absolutely hated the abomination that is Y's Ark of Nepashjfnd and lost faith that I could enjoy the Y's series ever again, but Seven is restoring my faith.

7Th said:
FU FU FU...wish I didn't read your spoiler, lol.

zurra

7Th said:
i can't wait to see how that happens. i figured it was about to go down after
the mystery visitor knocked at his door and he happily let them in after reminiscing about what the party's up to
, but considering
Sigroon saw them floating away to Ruins Island in the boat, she must have zero clout or something
. should find out today!

7Th

Finished the game, the final boss battle was absolutely incredible. I was kinda worried it was going to be a cakewalk after
Scias and Tialuna
went down so easily, so the sudden difficulty spike was a pleasant surprise. The story wasn't anything too special, but it was rather sweet and heartwarming and the ending was adorable.

Ricker

Can`t beat that annoying Bird Boss in the Wind Temple yet(his patterns are all over the place)...came close a few times,i`ll switch Aisha with the other bow girl and see if it helps or go up 1 level and I should be fine hehe(level 28 now).

I find some Bosses hard,even on normal for me,but I love it.

zurra

you should be fine using aisha - actually maybe even better because she builds the extra gauge so fast. dodge like crazy, only use charge shots, and spam killer hornet. flash guard the tornados and you'll get the extra gauge up quick. if you're lucky, you'll have it full just as the bird goes into warning mode. also, pretty much ignore the monster eggs he poops out and just keep dodging and shooting.

good luck, that battle was nuts.

Paznos

7Th said:
Finished the game, the final boss battle was absolutely incredible. I was kinda worried it was going to be a cakewalk after
Scias and Tialuna
went down so easily, so the sudden difficulty spike was a pleasant surprise. The story wasn't anything too special, but it was rather sweet and heartwarming and the ending was adorable.
I also just finished the game, and the final boss did kick my ass a few times but then I took it down. Awesome game really enjoyed the combat and the story was decent and I agree the ending was pretty heartwarming. This was my first Ys game and can't wait to play the next one.

zurra said:
you should be fine using aisha - actually maybe even better because she builds the extra gauge so fast. dodge like crazy, only use charge shots, and spam killer hornet. flash guard the tornados and you'll get the extra gauge up quick. if you're lucky, you'll have it full just as the bird goes into warning mode. also, pretty much ignore the monster eggs he poops out and just keep dodging and shooting.

i loved that battle. the boss was the first ridiculous one i've faced and i beat him with only a sliver of health left. party was adol, dogi and aisha. i think that was my favorite party for most of the game.

Grimmy

Banned
Well I finally finished the game. Quite satisfying. Took me 42 hours to reach it though! (I played on hard).

Now I'm torn on what should be my next game - Gladiator Begins or Cladun. Recommendations?

Ezalc

What's the point of leveling up a skill? Does it require less sp get more powerful or what? Also am I the only skill whore in this game, in that I absolutely have to get all of everybody's skills even if it means going into a boss fight with a weapon that is absolute shit. (I've done that many many times actually.)

zurra

Augemitbutter said:
i loved that battle. the boss was the first ridiculous one i've faced and i beat him with only a sliver of health left. party was adol, dogi and aisha. i think that was my favorite party for most of the game.
yeah, that fight was a major turning point for me. it feels like they started kicking the boss fights up a notch at that point and everything since has been much more challenging. it's also the first time i started heavily using flash guard.

on my way to fight
the dragons
, SO AWESOME.

Ezalc said:
What's the point of leveling up a skill? Does it require less sp get more powerful or what? Also am I the only skill whore in this game, in that I absolutely have to get all of everybody's skills even if it means going into a boss fight with a weapon that is absolute shit. (I've done that many many times actually.)

i tried to get every skill available too. there are so many of them, it's hard to make out which are the most useful for specific bossfights.

i think i've only skipped a few near the end of the game.

Vorador

Banned
Damn i'm wasting too many items on the fight against the
Moon Dragon

I'm using the
"Chaos" branded equipment, Dogi and Aisha
for my party. Any tips?

Vorador

Banned
Yep, but the third part of the fight (when
the weak point goes to the forehead
) is where i'm getting pounded too much. I cannot time the guarding well when i'm so close.

Maybe it's simply not my day :lol will retry later.

Lain

Ezalc said:
Also am I the only skill whore in this game, in that I absolutely have to get all of everybody's skills even if it means going into a boss fight with a weapon that is absolute shit. (I've done that many many times actually.)

You're not alone, I learned all the skills for every characters, even the ones I never used, although I never went intentionally into a boss fight with a bad weapon just to finish learning a skill.
I just did some grinding until I got the skill and then went to the boss, which was pretty fun since I absolutely love the combat system in this game. I wanted to master every skill too, but that takes too much time, as I only managed to master most of Adol's, except (I think) 2 or 3.

Vorador said:
Damn i'm wasting too many items on the fight against the
Moon Dragon

I'm using the
"Chaos" branded equipment, Dogi and Aisha
for my party. Any tips?

I had to heal up a bit on this fight, but it wasn't too difficult (I played on normal) and I just rolled around to avoid damage.
I also didn't go in with the right formation because
I didn't get that it would be a boss fight, I thought it'd be just another dungeon run
, but still had
SP reducing accessory on Adol and the ones that charges SP as you walk on another character (2x makes the charging rate even better, or that is what it looks like to me), so spamming Pentagrams was easy. Also everyone was wearing the best equipment sold at Iska Village, which is better than that chaos equipment Adol gets just 1 dungeon before

Solune

Ezalc said:

Increasing a skills level doesn't reduce the sp required. Leveling them does increase damage and some skills change animation or have increased AoE and such. I'm not sure of all skills but typically they change animation at level 5.

Just some examples:
Adol's Pentagram roughly doubles in size at level 5.
Dogi's Grandslam increases number of hits? Animation of last hit changes from blue to gold and increases AoE I believe.
Aisha's Cataract Blue increases AoE and also at level 5 does a full rotation instead of half a circle.

I haven't gotten any skills past level 8 so I'm not sure of max skill level or if they change again.

Ezalc

I'm on the last boss. And it's complete bullshit how the game limits your items so severely. C'mon man, only 5 of each potion and 3 of everything else? Is this done in other Ys games because this is my first and that particular thing is, imo, a gigantic flaw in this otherwise amazing game. Anybody have any tips for it because I end using all of my potions by the time I get to like the second stage since the boss keeps freezing my ass left and right.

Also thanks for clearing the thing about skill levels.

Bebpo

Banned
Ezalc said:
I'm on the last boss. And it's complete bullshit how the game limits your items so severely. C'mon man, only 5 of each potion and 3 of everything else? Is this done in other Ys games because this is my first and that particular thing is, imo, a gigantic flaw in this otherwise amazing game. Anybody have any tips for it because I end using all of my potions by the time I get to like the second stage since the boss keeps freezing my ass left and right.

The items are just a crutch. The game wants you to learn the boss patterns and use action game skills to beat it.

Try not to use many items on the second form, most of your items on the 3rd form (although mainly just keep moving and don't get hit), and leave some for the 4th form.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Ezalc said:

I don't find it to be a flaw. It forces you to not to suck and to actually learn how the boss operates. If you're using all your items, you're either too low level, or walking right into really powerful attacks.

(In old versions of Ys 1, you're limited to a single potion :lol)

Solune

Ezalc said:

Gonna have to agree with thetrin. You may have to level up a bit, also if you're not using the most powerful equipment in the game already I would suggest upgrading to them. Might also be a good time to learn Flash Guard if you haven't been using it already.

Interesting note, I maxed out Strength Blast just now at level 10. So it seems abilities peak at level 10 and have major aesthetic transformations at levels 5 and 10.

yea, it's not a flaw at all. on nightmare mode you're restricted to 3 health potions each and only two types are useful at the end.

revive items are restricted to one of each :)

Lain

Ezalc said:

The limit on potions really doesn't look like a flaw to me. On normal I have found myself not really needing them except in a few fights and that was mostly because I was sucking at avoiding damage (or because the party formation and accessory selection wasn't right, like on the second part of the last boss fight, in my case).

Just guard is all nice and dandy, but rolling around is just as good, rolling and rolling until things have calmed down really helps.
In my case, I only needed to use the big potions on the second part of the fight, while the first only required some 200hp ones, and the third part 1 1k potion and any of the left overs from the other fights.

Ricker

zurra said:

Thanks for the tips...I just realised also there`s a select best equipment button and 2 of my guys didn`t have 4 slots of skills up,icluding Aisha`s Killer Hornet,so now I`m levelling that one up...I never blocked as well so far...how do you do that again?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm sure it's in the manual, but the game never actually tells you how to flash guard, which is a misstep, considering how many people playing this are new to Ys.

thetrin

Augemitbutter said:
yea, they give you tutorials for everything but this, kinda weird.

Well, a lot of what they give you tutorials for are things that are new to Ys, not just to the player. I'm sure this made a lot of sense to Falcom when they released the game in Japan, but the game needs a flash guard tutorial in every other region.

any news on a EU release?

could someone bring it as a DD only title like atlus did here with the persona games since they have no retail distribution here?

Aeana

°°ToMmY°° said:

could someone bring it as a DD only title like atlus did here with the persona games since they have no retail distribution here?
It was scheduled for a European PSN release. Did it never make it?

Ezalc

Thanks for the help. I guess this really is a feature of the game, which reminds me of the perma death in FE, so I won't complain about it further. I try to learn the boss patterns and I usually don't guard I just roll around everywhere but I still seem to be getting hit a lot with the first stage of it. My characters are all upwards of level 50, around 58 give or take a level, is that too low? I have everybody's best weapon or at least I think it's their best I'm not exactly sure, the only two I don't think have at best are Elk's and Cruxie's. I'll keep trying to beat this thing and start using guard more now that I actually know how to do it.

°°ToMmY°° said:

i don't think there are any news on it. i haven't seen it on PSN, but i wasn't searching for it either.

thetrin

Ezalc said:
Thanks for the help. I guess this really is a feature of the game, which reminds me of the perma death in FE, so I won't complain about it further. I try to learn the boss patterns and I usually don't guard I just roll around everywhere but I still seem to be getting hit a lot with the first stage of it. My characters are all upwards of level 50, around 58 give or take a level, is that too low? I have everybody's best weapon or at least I think it's their best I'm not exactly sure, the only two I don't think have at best are Elk's and Cruxie's. I'll keep trying to beat this thing and start using guard more now that I actually know how to do it.

For the last boss? I would recommend 62-63.

lowest was lvl60, highest 63 for me.

but i think armor is more important in this case anyway. and since you auto-gain levels looking for resources...

Ezalc

Hm alright. I guess I'll grind a bit and train skills while I'm at it, as well as gather resources for armor and the last two weapons. Thanks for the help once again.

I'm regretting playing in Hard, for normal areas its okay and not really challenging but boss battles are driving me nuts. Still have nightmares with (early game spoiler)
fucking spider in the tree, fuck you really
. Guess it'd help it I could master flash guard but I just seem to do it 2 out of 3 times so in the end I'm usually rolling instead and not taking damage.

Ferga

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I'm regretting playing in Hard, for normal areas its okay and not really challenging but boss battles are driving me nuts. Still have nightmares with (early game spoiler)
. Guess it'd help it I could master flash guard but I just seem to do it 2 out of 3 times so in the end I'm usually rolling instead and not taking damage.

Gets a lot easier. The beginning fucked on a lot of people on hard and nightmare :lol

After the first few bosses, the game becomes very easy :p

And i suggest grinding if you get stuck :)

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

try to get the best weapons/armor from shops before going for bosses. when you reach the last savepoint before a boss, head back and kill a few more for one additional level up. that should be enough, it worked for me on nightmare.

it'll be a bit easier when you get more comfortable with the game.

This is a pretty long game isn't it. I'm at nearly 10 hours and I felt like I played a long time. And I think I read this is over 25 hours, which is great!

By the way, does anyone know if Oath of Felghana is a port or a enhanced remake built from the ground up for the PSP?

Aeana

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
This is a pretty long game isn't it. I'm at nearly 10 hours and I felt like I played a long time. And I think I read this is over 25 hours, which is great!

By the way, does anyone know if Oath of Felghana is a port or a enhanced remake built from the ground up for the PSP?
Ys 7 took me 24 hours.

Oath PSP is a port of Oath PC with full voice acting and new music options.

thetrin

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:

Pretty sure Oath is a port of the PC version.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:

depends on what you're doing in the game. my first playthrough took me about 40 hours.

Top Bottom