• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys 7 - US Release August 17th - $29.99 retail and PSN |OT|

I'm at the holy precincts of wind and having trouble there,
How do you beat the dragon boss in that dungeon? I can't seem to dodge his attacks since they pull you in flash guarding is nearly impossible because his attacks last so long that my hand cramps before I can flash guard all of them. :/ My guys are at lvl 30 also, are they too underpowered or is that a normal level? I'm playing on the hardest difficulty.

you mean the wind dragon pulling you into his carcass? move far away when you notice he is charging for his beam and dodge it. he will come for you after that and since you have some distance there's plenty of time to dodge that attack as well. also use dogi if possible, i noticed the boss got stunned alot in that fight.

Augemitbutter said:
you mean the wind dragon pulling you into his carcass? move far away when you notice he is charging for his beam and dodge it. he will come for you after that and since you have some distance there's plenty of time to dodge that attack as well. also use dogi if possible, i noticed the boss got stunned alot in that fight.

Ah ok, I was mostly getting hurt also because as soon as I would run back after staying away he'd be starting his next move. I was using the girl with the orange hair(forget her name off the top of my head) since I didn't have to get as close to attack. I guess I'll give it another shot, thanks.

JEKKI

beat it!

very fun and addicting. That's the good part.

the bad part is the storytelling. omg it's so bad!!!

in Ys games, you play as a one man army guy named Adol who is silent and lets his sword speak for him. The story is told by having people talk to or around Adol and in rather sparse occurrences.

in this game they give you a team full of sonic the hedgehog's friends like Adol isnt about to cut a bitch, and it dont matter that Adol cant talk coz now he has a team to talk for him, and as if that wasnt bad enough they hafta include these text boxes with green text that say shyt like "Adol explained the situation to snooki"

JEKKI

the story isnt bad. The storytelling is.

maybe if you're playing this game fresh then it's ok, but in comparison to how other Ys games (at least the ones I played) handle it, it's bad.

Jigsaw

Banned
just beat it,took me 20 hours....the final boss is among the most annoying i've ever faced in an rpg,killing tentacles for 5 minutes only to get an opening for 5 seconds to damage the real boss?it also caught me off guard that they forced me to use all the party members,most of them still had their starting equipment since i never used them (adol,aisha,cruxie all the way) so i had to restart :\

great game otherwise,too bad there isn't anything left to do after beating it....looking forward to oath,ark and chronicles

are there any chances that they are gonna remake 4 and 5 for psp too?would be neat to have the entire series on one platform

I also just finished this last night, 23:54 on the clock with a complete bestiary, all skills learned, all quests completed and all ultimate equipment synthesized. It really didn't take long to farm Soul Stones, as having Luck Medals guaranteed a 100% farm in the Well of Souls.

Ys Seven was the reason I bought a PSP, and it certainly didn't disappoint. It isn't often that a single game is enough to hold my attention for an entire playthrough, but this has been true of the entire Ys series for me. Falcom really outdid themselves with tweaking the battle system to allow for multiple characters and abilities, even though I never once used Elk or Geis besides developing their skills. I have nothing but praise for the game, even with the plodding dialogue. The only other thing I could ask for is a *real* optional boss and a hidden dungeon or two.

Bravo, Falcom.

Is there some way to get more powerful special attacks? I'm getting my ass kicked by the fire dragon and by watching the youtube videos and their specials do many times more damage than mine do which may be why I'm getting my ass kicked.

zoku88

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is there some way to get more powerful special attacks? I'm getting my ass kicked by the fire dragon and by watching the youtube videos and their specials do many times more damage than mine do which may be why I'm getting my ass kicked.
When you said special attack, do you mean the ones that do a little cutscene? Or the ones that you can pretty much spam?

If it's the latter, I think special skills level up the more you use them.

zoku88 said:
When you said special attack, do you mean the ones that do a little cutscene? Or the ones that you can pretty much spam?

If it's the latter, I think special skills level up the more you use them.

The ones you use the blue energy to use. The ones in the videos though are ones I don't even have. Mine do a couple hundred where theirs are doing a couple thousand.

zoku88

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
The ones you use the blue energy to use. The ones in the videos though are ones I don't even have. Mine do a couple hundred where theirs are doing a couple thousand.
Haven't played for a while, since my UMD drive broke which means I can only play when I can borrow PSPs...

But I think we're talking about the same thing. You get new special skills with new weapons, IIRC, I'm guessing that they just have better weapons than you have right now. Or I had. I don't remember my skills taking that much damage either.... They mustive gotten pretty good weapons and then leveled up their skills, methinks.

Yeah, you do get them from weapons. Every time you can buy a new weapon, check to see if it has a new skill (square to display skills) and just equip the skill and use it until it's level two. You'll then be able to use it with any weapon. And as zoku said, level them up. Just run around spamming the skill, then using only charge attacks to refill the gauge (regular attacks take too long).

eLZhi said:
Yeah, you do get them from weapons. Every time you can buy a new weapon, check to see if it has a new skill (square to display skills) and just equip the skill and use it until it's level two. You'll then be able to use it with any weapon. And as zoku said, level them up. Just run around spamming the skill, then using only charge attacks to refill the gauge (regular attacks take too long).

Ah, I've been leveling them up constantly but I forgot you can do charged attacks so that's why they are at a lower character level and doing more damage with them. I was only using normal attacks to refill the gauge.

Jucksalbe

Banned
eLZhi said:
Yeah, you do get them from weapons. Every time you can buy a new weapon, check to see if it has a new skill (square to display skills) and just equip the skill and use it until it's level two.

Haha, I finished the game on Nightmare, but I didn't know this. Thought the skills just come up from time to time if you level up other skills. Well, at least that explains why I had so many skills I couldn't equip. :D
After reading parts of this thread I wonder if I made the game much harder by not using flash guarding. Rolling around was so much more fun, though.

Jucksalbe said:
Haha, I finished the game on Nightmare, but I didn't know this. Thought the skills just come up from time to time if you level up other skills. Well, at least that explains why I had so many skills I couldn't equip. :D
After reading parts of this thread I wonder if I made the game much harder by not using flash guarding. Rolling around was so much more fun, though.

It depends, I suck at flash guarding and between the damage I'd lose and wasting your EX attack or whatever it was made it more beneficial to use rolling more times than not but that's just me.

if you lack SP for your skills you want to train your abilities in flash guarding for the SP boost.

it'll be easier to level your skills that way if you like.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Finally started playing the game, only up to the ancient tree... but I'm loving it. Even the loot collection doesn't seem as obnoxious and random as I thought it might be (I'm not a big fan of loot-based games or alchemy systems that every RPG feels fit to shoehorn in nowadays). The action is very zippy, I love just being able to fly through an environment by dashing... and the removal of the jump doesn't bother me all that much. The boss fights are suitably epic and long (though Oath in Felghana still takes the cake for series boss battles so far). My only complaint is that the intro was pretty slow and the game is slightly more 'talky' than the rest of the series, but I don't mind too much. It's a relief being able to skip through text with the O button, especially after playing DQ9 which was slow as balls :p

Looking forward to playing more! This definitely looks like it'll be up there with my favorites of the Ys series if all things continue. And I'm hoping we'll get Origin on PSP soon... looks like there's some progress going with the Origin PC translation at least.

sammy

Well I think GAF has convinced me to pick this one up, and good thing it's not expensive. I've been wanting to get into a Ys for some time now, and I like how they look on the PSP. I've only played some on VC.

But what I see from the combat in this game, it looks very fun and more of an adventure with some cool platforming and great bosses.

I hope to see it on PSN soon so I can get it running on my PSPgo

i started playing this yesterday and so far i LOVE it

nightmare feels perfect. the character movement and boss designs are really great

the music is absolutely ridiculously good

I'm going to try Ys soon. Need some answers. :D

Should I start with 7?.
Are the games connected story-wise?.
About Ark of Napishtim, PSP or PS2?.

Any Ys fansite out there?.

thanks guys.

1. you can't do wrong starting with seven. oath is a good starting point too, it doesn't matter if you ask me. up to you if you want to start with the older or newer game, they're different enough.

2. there is only one Ys world but you won't miss major story points, just some minor hints at past adventures.

3. check this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ys:_The_Ark_of_Napishtim you can find videos of loading comparisons on youtube.

Ettie

as someone who doesn't have the game, but is checking this thread for holiday deals, I really appreciate the considerate spoiler tags. :D

Chesskid1

Banned
hey guys,

first time YS player here. the gameplay is sooo addicting, i played 4 hours yesterday and that is alot for a handheld imo. i'm playing on normal and it took me like 4 tries to beat the first boss, usually i don't like games that take alot of effort to get good at, but the gameplay is fast/furious/good enough to hold my attention.

i have a few questions. i noticed shields change design as you upgrade them, is there alot of customization with your armor/shield ala Dragon Quest IX? that would be great, but not a big deal. also, should i sell off my old equipment? thanks guys :D i see myself beating the game then considering trying out the older ones, but whenever i play the latest game in a series, playing the older ones feel like a step back so i probably won't :( also, is there alot of rare drops, maybe even ultra-rare stuff? loot hunting is really fun!

Chesskid1 said:
hey guys,

first time YS player here. the gameplay is sooo addicting, i played 4 hours yesterday and that is alot for a handheld imo. i'm playing on normal and it took me like 4 tries to beat the first boss, usually i don't like games that take alot of effort to get good at, but the gameplay is fast/furious/good enough to hold my attention.

i have a few questions. i noticed shields change design as you upgrade them, is there alot of customization with your armor/shield ala Dragon Quest IX? that would be great, but not a big deal. also, should i sell off my old equipment? thanks guys :D i see myself beating the game then considering trying out the older ones, but whenever i play the latest game in a series, playing the older ones feel like a step back so i probably won't :( also, is there alot of rare drops, maybe even ultra-rare stuff? loot hunting is really fun!

No real customization, there is just the old armor and then the new strongest armor for each segment. You can sell old armor if you need money but be careful with weapons since learning knew stills are linked to the weapon until the skill hits level 1 and then it can be used no matter the weapon. And I guess you can call them rares, you find better stuff in the dungeons if you search and only get the good Accessory items through chests. No real drops, except to synth and stuff later, all the good "rares" are found in harder to find chests throughout the games.

Oyashiro

Hello guys. Now that I'm on break, I finally have enough time to play this again. Played it this afternoon for a few hours and got pretty far. I beat
the fire and earth dragons
, and right now I'm trying to figure out what the hell to do next. I imagine I have to go to the city that starts with a K (I think it's where
the wind dragon
is?) but I cannot for the life of me figure out how the hell to get there. I've tried every path and they either don't lead there or they're blockaded by the Dragon Knights. Also, I looked around for possible secret passages (like the one you have to take to get to the desert) but I can't seem to find any. Please help! :(

Jucksalbe

Banned
There's definitely a cave that leads there. But I'm not too sure where the entrance is. I think it was, when you head west from the starting city (damn, what was that name again? :lol ), then you have to take a path south somewhere (I think more to the end of that road, but I'm not sure) and it should be immediately (or almost immediately) to the west.

Oyashiro

Jucksalbe said:
There's definitely a cave that leads there. But I'm not too sure where the entrance is. I think it was, when you head west from the starting city (damn, what was that name again? :lol ), then you have to take a path south somewhere (I think more to the end of that road, but I'm not sure) and it should be immediately (or almost immediately) to the west.
That sounds like the path to the cave that leads to the desert. Is there another path in the same cave that leads to the wind city?

Jucksalbe

Banned
There was a a hidden path in the north part of a cave. Maybe it was that cave?
I guess I better start the game again, I will edit this post when I find it.

Edit: It's inside that dark cave you needed to pass through in the beginning of the game (where you fought that goblin boss). It's marked as "Cave Byway" on the map (the next path to the south after
Iska Village
). In the northwestern part should be a hidden door.

djtiesto

Still toiling away at the game, I think I've almost hit 30 hours :O Longer than the first 3 Ys games combined!

Now I'm trekking through the water sanctum, pretty annoying dungeon with the ice and falling down to the bottom... reminds me of the frustration I felt in some other action RPG platformers like Alundra and Landstalker. Up to the
Water Dragon
now, how much longer would you say I have with the game?

Jucksalbe

Banned
Took me over 30 hours, too, though that was on Nightmare, so there was some grinding involved. But 18-20 hours? You'd have to ignore most of the sidequests and generally rush through the game for that.

djtiesto

Princess Skittles said:
You're already way past what it should have taken (~18-20 hours). :p

Hey, I'm slow! I also like going back to the towns after the story events and talking to everyone, for some reason. I'm OCD like that, at times.

Just started playing this game today (got it via UK PSN) and its great so far, but I got to the first boss and I simply cannot beat him. He has an insane 4000hp or something and my two dudes just get fucked, sometimes within 3 or 4 seconds or starting. The suck and spin attack just wipe all my health right away!

Any... help would be much appreciated, I am stumped by the difficulty of this, and its only Normal!

Adol died but I managed it just! I guess I should of stocked up more at the shops with health, but I had little money.

Oyashiro

Jucksalbe said:
There was a a hidden path in the north part of a cave. Maybe it was that cave?
I guess I better start the game again, I will edit this post when I find it.

Edit: It's inside that dark cave you needed to pass through in the beginning of the game (where you fought that goblin boss). It's marked as "Cave Byway" on the map (the next path to the south after
Iska Village
). In the northwestern part should be a hidden door.
Thanks so much for checking, man. I finally figured it out thanks to you :D Man, that dragon was a goddamn cunt. Most annoying boss I've encountered so far. Beat him on my first try, though!

EDIT: After constant playing, I finally made it to the final boss. This is insane. I'm at
the very last part where you have to fight it 1 on 1 using Adol
This shit is insane. I've tried like 20 times now and still can't beat it. I usually manage to defeat all the mirror things (which takes me a looooong ass time...) but once those are down he usually gets me. Any tips for this?

Dam Best Buy. Have $15 from RZ and was going to pick them up and I find out BB doesn't carry it. What gives not a single store in the area does. :(

djtiesto

At the final save point in the game, looks like I'm gonna be doing some serious grinding to get the best weapons for everybody. I'm at level 59 and playing on Hard. What's an ideal level to beat the end boss, since I hear it's quite the challenge?

Augemitbutter said:
did you get the best weapons and armor?

I didn't for everyone since I didn't think I'd need them. And some only have the first skill they get that takes like 7 energy to use. :lol I guess I might have to grind some with the people I never used since they have no special skills to use.

The last boss was a challenge but after some grinding and getting those final weapons it's just pattern recognition. I loved this game.

Now I'm playing through Oath and I think I may be liking this over 7 a little bit. Something about going solo. And the boss battles are way more challenging.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I didn't for everyone since I didn't think I'd need them. And some only have the first skill they get that takes like 7 energy to use. :lol I guess I might have to grind some with the people I never used since they have no special skills to use.

going for the strongest skills/weapon/armor should be enough, you don't need to waste your time on lesser skills.

Dogfacedgod said:
The last boss was a challenge but after some grinding and getting those final weapons it's just pattern recognition. I loved this game.

Now I'm playing through Oath and I think I may be liking this over 7 a little bit. Something about going solo. And the boss battles are way more challenging.

i ended up liking seven more, but i also prefer going around in a small party over solo adventures. oath made my head hurt on nightmare, it's a beast, but very satisfying.

Finally picked it up. The game is so good. Wish there were more RPGs with such a frenetic pace.

Now hurry up and get your catalog up on Steam, Falcom!

Any word on when Oath will hit the EU PSN?

Top Bottom