• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Community Thread | "Do you know the name Adol Christin?"

I'm getting a Vita next week so I'm gonna try to finish Ys: The Oath in Felghana that's been sitting in my Steam library for the past year unplayed.

Wanna beat it because I intend to get ys memories of celceta when my vita gets here.

Oh god damnit! I love Celceta, but fuck you Falcom. You should bw able to rEdo missions for the trophies on Celceta on NG+. I fucked up both times on the Cecily Wreath mission and didn't get all the wreaths. I saved also, so I can't just reload. it's fucking stupid. Anyway this was supppsed to be my final playthrough for the platinum. I only have that hidden trophy left for all the things. Would there be a way to find a save file for this, load it up on my vita, and then get this trophy or Am I fucked and have to waste ten hours getting back to this fucking spot again?

because I'm fucking pissed.

Shitty game desIGN at its finest.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I feel your pain:

Oh great, I missed out on three of the wreaths from that sidequest in Celceta. I guess I'll have to do another playthrough for the platinum. Or more likely, I just won't do it.

I ended up doing another playthrough, but I was just as pissed.

i haven't played Celceta in so long, i don't even remember the wreath quest

it's easy as heck, you just have to give flowers to some little girl. like most side quests of that fashion i just assumed that u only need to give the highest quality material, but nope...she needs all of them(looked up a faq after i had done this mission twice and was wondering why i couldn't find three items on my list anywhere at the shops). it was already too late because i save often and had saved over it already...

Psxphile

Got that done on my first playthrough. :x

Basically the little girl requires certain flowers, some rarer than others. You can give her just one type of flower, rewarding you with a particular wreath accessory that you can't get anywhere else and can only do once per playthrough, or give her every type of flower at once, netting you every wreath simultaneously.

From earlier in this thread:
Psxphile said:
Hm. I would be the last one to ask about this, as I just hoarded everything I found and never really did anything with it, lol. Occasionally I would see I had a few hundred of a particular mineral or flower, and then just start refining and trading up for better materials. Tried to spread it around, if you get what I mean. But I never really took advantage of the synthesis systems. This is pretty much the main reason why I had just enough of the flowers needed to make the 3 Wreathe items simultaneously (you only get one chance to do this per playthrough).

I wish I could play Celceta but I'm not buying the Vita just for it. Maybe they'll port it to the PC some day?
Technically, it's already been (being?) ported to PC. But only in China at the moment.

EDIT: Here's the thread.

Lutherian

If Falcom is hiring, I really hope they will greatly improve the Next Ys for PS4. I'm a big, big fan of Ys and I don't really mind the graphics but Ys: Memories of Celcetea wasn't a beauty for the Vita and it had lots of slowdowns.

I know that the new Ys is still early in development but I really hope Falcom will produce a good looking Ys for the PS4 (I'm not asking for FF XV quality for an Ys).

I'm sorry for my poor english, I'm a bit tired (and I'm french).

Levyne

Banned
If Falcom is hiring, I really hope they will greatly improve the Next Ys for PS4. I'm a big, big fan of Ys and I don't really mind the graphics but Ys: Memories of Celcetea wasn't a beauty for the Vita and it had lots of slowdowns.

I know that the new Ys is still early in development but I really hope Falcom will produce a good looking Ys for the PS4 (I'm not asking for FF XV quality for an Ys).

I hope it performs better too, but the next Ys game is PS4 and Vita so just keep that in mind with your expectations. So it will be limited by the Vita and we have precedent from Seven / Celceta in regards to how it will perform.

It's going to look like an uprezzed Vita game, so might want to put your wishes in check.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeeesh, I guess I can see why people told me to not use KBAM for Ys on PC.

Not really all that bad once I got used to it though.

I would hope Ys8 looked at least as good as the Sen games.

I care more about the game being native res and locked 30fps on Vita, I love MoC but god damn it's a blurry ass game with some nasty frame drops at times.

I would buy a PS4 today if we knew that the PS4 version was 60fps/1080p, which I fully expect considering it's a Vita port.

Who am I kidding I'm buying both versions day 1 no matter what, but I think I'm not asking much. Also, from the trailer, the game looked pretty fine.

Vylash

random question, but would a general falcom thread be something people are interested in? or is it not needed?

I'd say its pretty well covered as it is right now.

We've got the Ys thread here and the other Falcom community thread for the Kiseki games. Though I guess the arguement could be made for the other Falcom games not a part of those two series.

random question, but would a general falcom thread be something people are interested in? or is it not needed?
I've been using the recent DraSle 30th anniversary thread to discuss Falcom games unrelated to Ys or LoH. A general thread would be less topical, encompassing the whole of Falcom's library and history regarding discussion. Definitely interested.

The question is, how much interest is there in non-LoH Dragon Slayer games, Brandish, Azteka, Star Trader, Dinosaur, and Popful Mail?

Banjoman

so I think I'm going to buy the 3(/4) Ys games released on steam, waiting for a daily deal. I remember playing a little bit of Oath some years ago and liking it a lot.
this time I was thinking to star with Ys I and play them in the original chronological order of release date. what do you guys think?

Jucksalbe

Banned
Play them in any order you like (other than 2 before 1, of course). Just keep in mind that 1&2 play quite differently from the others, so if you don't like them you should still give Oath and Origin a try.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If you enjoy retro games and the simplicity they often offer, you will probably be fine with 1 & 2. They're really fun, especially Ys II. I'd say it's my third favorite game in the series after Origin and Felghana (beating out favorites like Seven and Celceta).

Arksy

Playing Ys: Oath in Felghana

Looking for the gems, specifically apparently there's an emerald in the abandoned mine, but I can't seem to find it!

Edit: Found it! Game is good...!

Started playing Ys 1 on steam last night as my first Ys game as something to kill time on my plane flight home, stayed up late playing it and thanks to a 4 hour lay over I finished it and started the sequel before I got on the plane. Short but great classic jrpg with some god tier music that I might have to buy the ost for. The only complaint I have for ys besides for its short length are the fact your fov in dark dungeons is way too small and that some of the bosses are brutal. **** Dark Fact that fight was pure torture and the stupid vampire made me rage hard as well. Also having to back track half way down the darm tower to get the blue amulet -.-

So after I finish ys 2 where should I go? I have origins and order on steam already

Psxphile

So is there any reason to play the non remake or older versions of any Ys game or should I just play the remake/newest versions?

Well... Wanderers from Ys is a pretty unique experience, being the only side-scrolling game. And if you liked the gameplay in Ys I&II Chronicles you might want to give Ys IV The Dawn of Ys a try, there's a great fan translation and half-way decent fan dub for it and it's probably the most refined version of the Ys bump system before the remakes came about. And it's totally different from Memories of Celceta so for some people that's a plus.

Ys 2 down, Darm was a lot easier then Dark Fact and I really enjoyed the game but I'm not sure which of the two games I enjoyed more. Each had their strengths and weaknesses though Ys 2 is the more refined game fwiw.

Psxphile

Yeah, you need the Scales artifact. That allows you to dive. You'll find it in a dungeon after you meet Ozma, if I remember correctly.

So did I miss a game or something? I thought Oath in Felghana was the 3rd game in the series but Dogi is acting like my BFF and talks about how Adol and him have traveled together... when did this happen? Dogi wasn't in Ys2 at all outside of a brief mention by Goban at the very end and heck Dogi was barely in Ys1 he only shows up to bail you out of jail.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So did I miss a game or something? I thought Oath in Felghana was the 3rd game in the series but Dogi is acting like my BFF and talks about how Adol and him have traveled together... when did this happen? Dogi wasn't in Ys2 at all outside of a brief mention by Goban at the very end and heck Dogi was barely in Ys1 he only shows up to bail you out of jail.

In the timeline there are 2 years between Ys 2 and Ys 3 (including the events in Ys 4, though Dogi is not really in Celceta), so presumably they adventured together in that time. And at the very least they made quite a trek from Esteria to Felghana, somehow ending up getting there by boat despite land being an option.

In the timeline there are 2 years between Ys 2 and Ys 3 (including the events in Ys 4, though Dogi is not really in Celceta), so presumably they adventured together in that time. And at the very least they made quite a trek from Esteria to Felghana, somehow ending up getting there by boat despite land being an option.

I guess that explains why I feel like time has passed (it has) but my next question is why did Dogi become Adol's traveling companion? I get that he ties into the story of Felghana but he left no impact compared to the other characters in Ys 1 or Ys 2. I'm sure he'll grow on me but it just seems really random.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I guess that explains why I feel like time has passed (it has) but my next question is why did Dogi become Adol's traveling companion? I get that he ties into the story of Felghana but he left no impact compared to the other characters in Ys 1 or Ys 2. I'm sure he'll grow on me but it just seems really random.

Love works in mysterious ways?

I dunno. It just seems to have happened, maybe they gelled well. He becomes a fairly regular/reoccuring character within the series though.

Psxphile

Of all the people available in Ys 1 and 2, Dogi seemed like the best choice to accompany Adol I guess. Everyone else of note was either a descendant of the priests of Ys, or... a woman.

Huh.

I guess Raba would have been a decent alternative as he's something of a wandering scholar, but he's old so the dynamic wouldn't be the same. Lilina would have been interesting, but she probably would have become the Amy Rose to Adol's Sonic.

adol travel with dogi cause he's pretty usefull for breaking huge walls!

this is probably what happened in the two year gap :

tumblr_lol8mc33XD1qhziq1o1_500.jpg

Of all the people available in Ys 1 and 2, Dogi seemed like the best choice to accompany Adol I guess. Everyone else of note was either a descendant of the priests of Ys, or... a woman.

Huh.

I guess Raba would have been a decent alternative as he's something of a wandering scholar, but he's old so the dynamic wouldn't be the same. Lilina would have been interesting, but she probably would have become the Amy Rose to Adol's Sonic.

Adol clearly likes to make all the ladies fall for him and the last thing he wants/needs is a steady gf.

Picked up Ys Seven on PSN because I had gotten it when ti first came out years ago on PSP but for the life of me I couldn't remember why I never finished it.

Gotta say I'm absolutely in love with this game again thus far.

Holy hell I'm playing Oath in Felghana on Hard and I've been stuck on Guilan all day, I have the broadsword, but it's just very difficult to deal a good bit of damage and I just can't seem to get the dodging down.

Holy hell I'm playing Oath in Felghana on Hard and I've been stuck on Guilan all day, I have the broadsword, but it's just very difficult to deal a good bit of damage and I just can't seem to get the dodging down.

Thats the fire dragon correct?

Run to the opposite corner of which hole he spawns in, when he gets close jump and mash the whirlwind button until his fire drops, attack like crazy. He actually won't attack much outside of a fire ball and a bite iirc so stay away from his head. Most of the damage you're taking is from his body being on fire which whirlwind helps to blow away but attacking him with it will just cause you more damage. Whirlwind above him and you'll take minimal/no damage

So in 2 weeks I have beaten Ys 1, Ys 2, Ys Oath in Felghana, and Ys Origin (Yunica route) all on hard :X before this day 2 weeks ago I'd never played a Ys game. Will save my thoughts for ys on steam until I finish the other two Origin routes but I will say Ys Origin felt a lot easier then the other games and the story was the worst in the series.

Psxphile

So in 2 weeks I have beaten Ys 1, Ys 2, Ys Oath in Felghana, and Ys Origin (Yunica route) all on hard :X before this day 2 weeks ago I'd never played a Ys game. Will save my thoughts for ys on steam until I finish the other two Origin routes but I will say Ys Origin felt a lot easier then the other games and the story was the worst in the series.

Hm. Though, Yunica's route is only 1/3 of the story so it's a little soon for that kind of declaration, wouldn't you say? I mean, the basic premise remains the same between all routes: ascend the tower and find the goddesses, so if you found that to be not up-to-par with the rest of the series I could understand that. Also I think the general impression from those who've played the game is that Yunica's route is the worst of the lot story-wise, so your opinion of the game might improve after you've played the others.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Yunica's story is super bland. The other two aren't exactly amazing, but I'd say both are better than hers by a decent margin.

Ys Origin spoilers

That's because Yunica's story is basically I had tea and cookies with the goddesses and I want to do that again but bad people won't let me!

Hm. Though, Yunica's route is only 1/3 of the story so it's a little soon for that kind of declaration, wouldn't you say? I mean, the basic premise remains the same between all routes: ascend the tower and find the goddesses, so if you found that to be not up-to-par with the rest of the series I could understand that. Also I think the general impression from those who've played the game is that Yunica's route is the worst of the lot story-wise, so your opinion of the game might improve after you've played the others.

Fair enough, my big problem with Ys Origin's story not just Yunica's route but Hugo's of what I've played of it (just got the water dragon scales) is that our main character talks. I know that sounds like a bizarre complaint but in Ys I'm really not here for the story per say as the stories are generally more an excuse for why I have to go save the land from evil. Hugo is far less annoying then Yunica which helps a little bit, but it still bogs down the experience when every boss fight and key item is met with any amount of dialogue. It really didn't help that Yunica was weak character who I never liked for the entire game because she talked and her dialogue made me want to strangle her. This was further accented by the support cast being all kinds of bland and unmemorable despite the fact on a whole they have more dialogue then most other support characters in Ys games.

Also Hugo feels like a cheat mode, I can't even imagine how much easier it'll be once I get the angelic robe so I can heal the very rare times I get hit thanks to charged wind magic. It really feels like the game was designed with Yunica and then Hugo was added in later and not really balanced around the enemies or level design. I was expecting them to at least change up either how the bosses acted or perhaps give Hugo some unique floors/enemies/bosses to fight that were more projectile focused.

jb1234

Fair enough, my big problem with Ys Origin's story not just Yunica's route but Hugo's of what I've played of it (just got the water dragon scales) is that our main character talks. I know that sounds like a bizarre complaint but in Ys I'm really not here for the story per say as the stories are generally more an excuse for why I have to go save the land from evil. Hugo is far less annoying then Yunica which helps a little bit, but it still bogs down the experience when every boss fight and key item is met with any amount of dialogue. It really didn't help that Yunica was weak character who I never liked for the entire game because she talked and her dialogue made me want to strangle her. This was further accented by the support cast being all kinds of bland and unmemorable despite the fact on a whole they have more dialogue then most other support characters in Ys games.

Man, you're going to hate VII and Celceta. The lead remains silent but the supporting cast refuses to shut up and the stories and characters aren't interesting enough to justify the bloat.

Top Bottom