• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Community Thread | "Do you know the name Adol Christin?"

I got back to Ys Origins after a rediculous amount of time away. Im not trying to beat Dalles with Yunica on Hard at Level 50. He's actually not bad...until that 3rd form when he just goes berserk. Not to mention getting caught in his portal attack takes away almost a third of her health. I'm wondering if it's worth grinding out the 300000+ SP I'd need to get the increase movement speed boost.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I got back to Ys Origins after a rediculous amount of time away. Im not trying to beat Dalles with Yunica on Hard at Level 50. He's actually not bad...until that 3rd form when he just goes berserk. Not to mention getting caught in his portal attack takes away almost a third of her health. I'm wondering if it's worth grinding out the 300000+ SP I'd need to get the increase movement speed boost.

Not needed, just dont ever jump

Psxphile

so i just started The Ark of Napishtim and oh my god this opening cutscene, gross

Not sure what Konami was thinking there. I guess it was a trend during the fifth and sixth console generation to introduce a CGI intro in every game but it sure did backfire on them here. The atrocious english dubbing only made a bad thing even worse.

It's a shame too because the PS2 intro helps to establish how Adol ended up with a bunch of pirates and how he came to be washed up on Canaan Island, something that was only inferred to in manuals.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So I just finished celceta. First ys game and I had a lot of fun with it.

From what I gathered from the ending though it's meant to be a prequel of sorts? Is there a timeline for the series?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

From what I gathered from the ending though it's meant to be a prequel of sorts? Is there a timeline for the series?

It's not really a prequel. The ending is just kind rushed, or at least it seemed that way to me. For the most part there is an overarching mythos that ties the games together, but their individual stories are standalone with the exception I and II (which should be played in order) and Origin (which has ties into the plot of both games and is ideally played after them, but it's not necessary).

Timeline goes

Origin -> Many years pass -> Ys I -> Ys II -> Ys Celceta (IV) ? Oath in Felghana (III) -> Ys V -> Ys Ark of Napishtim (VI) -> Ys Seven

Before Celceta, IV came before III in the timeline but I don't know for sure if that is still true. I assume it is.

Chronological order:
Ys Origin > 1 > 2 > 4 > 3 > 5 > 6 > 7

Celceta is a remake of Ys 4, so you could call it a prequel but the stories don't really connect very much in the Ys series aside of several details and Ys Origin with Ys I&II. Adol just goes from one adventure to the next one.

Check out the Ys games that are released on Steam or on Vita, they are all fantastic.

Antiwhippy

Ah, alright, thought the whole exploring the eastern and western parts of the world was an indication of previous games.

I have the other ys games on steam but I enjoyed playing it on my vita so much I'm thinking of getting the PSP versions. Should I? Is the steam versions improved over the PSP ones?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, alright, thought the whole exploring the eastern and western parts of the world was an indication of previous games.

I have the other ys games on steam but I enjoyed playing it on my vita so much I'm thinking of getting the PSP versions. Should I? Is the steam versions improved over the PSP ones?

Origin is exclusively on PC/Steam, and Seven is exclusively on PSP (yeah, Chinese port, not getting into that).

For the ones you have options for, I & II Chronicles+ on PC is better. It basically offers everything the PSP game does, plus lets you use the wider FOV/traditional border from the previous Complete version. PSP version also mildly annoying loading times compared to the PC version. Not super awful, but they are there and last a few seconds.

Oath in Felghana could go either way. The PSP version has voice acting and some non-essential extras. Gameplay changes make it a bit easier, since when you die you restart in the same room instead of going back to the last save point. It also adds a double boost mechanic instead of just having the normal boost. PC version looks and runs better, and it's a bit more challenging due to the aforementioned gameplay changes.

Really, apart from Ark of Napishtim all the Ys games are fine on PSP, though I prefer playing them on PC. If you play Napishtim definitely get it on PS2, or hold out for XSEED's inevitable release of the PC version.

Antiwhippy

Thanks for the info!

Hmm, I think I'll stick with the PC versions then.

Think I'll go with origin first but there are other games I want to work through my backlog first. My playthrough of celceta definitely cemented Ys as a series that I should follow though.

jb1234

Thanks for the info!

Think I'll go with origin first but there are other games I want to work through my backlog first. My playthrough of celceta definitely cemented Ys as a series that I should follow though.

I will cry if you don't play Oath in Felghana soon.

Thanks for the info!

I'd play Ys I&II before Origin(for story reasons, if you don't care then play them in any order).

demidar

Thanks for the info!

Hope you got a controller if you're playing it on PC.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I feel like I just entered a portal to the 90s, but that page clearly says October 14, 2014.

Some parts sound familiar, but I don't recognize it as a whole. It looks like there is a youtube video of this saying it's a midi remix of a Zelda's Adventure song. It sounds nothing like the supposed source material though, so I'm guessing that video is just wrong. Wouldn't be the first time that happened, there is a version of Bloody Tears that is constantly attributed to Iron Maiden/Cradle of Filth/whoever but it's actually from the in-house band Konami had in the 90s.

jb1234

This is going to be bothering me forever and ever. Thanks for that. :p

Def sounds like something Falcom would put out. It's certainly not from any (older) Ys I've played. Do we know if there's sound rip for Ys II Special?

I don't think it's musically interesting enough to be something from Falcom. The composer's idea of harmony is to repeat the same progression over and over again, with the occasional modulation to make it seem fresh (which it's not).

jdkluv

Definitely not from an Ys game, that's for sure. It could literally be anything - from an obscure Japanese computer game to a song someone composed just for fun, like for example this.

Do we know if there's sound rip for Ys II Special?

There's a few music rips out there, yes. Definitely one of the best versions of the Ys II soundtrack, and the new SoundTeMP tracks are simply stunning.

Check the description of these videos. ;p

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Been playing through Ys 6 for the first time on nightmare and streaming it. I just want to say the normal monsters in this have been harder than the bosses so far lol

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ok I take back what I said earlier.... Got to the cave boss the face on the wall... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

I must be doing something wrong because I got the best armor and weapon right now and Im leveling not that fast in the area... dude is freaking 2 or 3 shotting me and yeah... this fight fuck :l

Psxphile

Ok I take back what I said earlier.... Got to the cave boss the face on the wall...

*snip*

I know that feel.

You found the Galba Armor and Shield, right? If not, both can be found in the cave. You'll need the Silver Armlet to counter the effect of Galba Armor's "poison" status. Also did you get the Bell of Silence? With it equipped you can kill the annoying flying beetle enemies, they're worth more experience than the other cave monsters and might net you another potential level-up or two, enough to help weather the boss's damage output.

EDIT:
Seems relevant here, the Nayuta no Kiseki fan translation got picked back up.
Relevant to my interests. Especially since it's not likely to ever be picked up for localization ever.

jb1234

Ok I take back what I said earlier.... Got to the cave boss the face on the wall... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

I must be doing something wrong because I got the best armor and weapon right now and Im leveling not that fast in the area... dude is freaking 2 or 3 shotting me and yeah... this fight fuck :l

Yeah, he's an asshole, the boss who probably killed me the most in that game (and I didn't play it on Nightmare).

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I missed out on the bell, figured it might have been in the cave.... was very wrong xD. Stopped for now I'll go look for it tomorrow. I had both the armors and silver amulet was still getting hit for 150 lol

Sounds like I need to level off the bat things which I couldnt. Sitting on 4k crystals so I can upgrade the wind sword next to grind faster at least xD

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Hmm after I beat Ys 6 I think I'm going to go for all the Achievements in 1/2/Origins/Oath

I still need to play Inferno in Oath actually

Bladenic

Is there anywhere detailing the differences between all 3 version of Ys 4 aka Dawn, MotS, and Celceta?

I wonder when we'll hear more about the next Ys game that was announced. A 2015 is likely right? 2015 is shaping up to be an amazing year for RPGs.

I also wonder if an Ys 5 remake will be coming in the future.

Psxphile

Is there anywhere detailing the differences between all 3 version of Ys 4 aka Dawn, MotS, and Celceta?

Don't forget the PS2 version of Mask. As for something that directly compares every version: nothing like a chart or anything that I'm aware of but the pages for Ys IV and Celceta over at Hardcore Gaming 101 does an adequate job of showing the differences (although it's not perfect: Dogi does in fact appear in MoC very briefly, despite the site insisting he doesn't).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if Ys VS Sora will ever get translated. I wouldn't mind checking it out.

Some of it is already translated on a wiki, I remember all the accessories are. The story isn't but its just some fan service crossover nonsense anyway.

I was able to get a copy cheap after someone ordered it and accidently received two copies. It's definitely not hard to play without any knowledge of Japanese so I wouldn't be surprised if it never got a patch or anything.

That game looks so bad :x
Its okay, not great. A fun little game to pick up and play a couple quick matches of. Combat is basically Ys Seven with jumping, PSP doesn't have enough buttons or the button layout to make it comfortable. Game feels made for a GC controller.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
God damn, Ernst is a pain in the ass holy shit.

Edit: And game beaten... That last boss was the most disappointing final boss I've fought yet out of this series. What a fucking let down, specially after the fight before it being pretty damn good.

Xenoflare

I remember the surprise I had when I found out that Ys actually had English releases a few years back.

I still hold out for an unrealistic dream that Origins will be ported to Vita or something, it used to be PSP.

Mr.Jeff

God damn, Ernst is a pain in the ass holy shit.
I spent a good few hours on Nightmare trying to beat Ernst without using healing items and just could not manage it. Not without spending a long time grinding up another couple of levels.
Still irritates me that he was the only one I had to use healing items for.

I'm playing memories and just got to 1million gold. There's a really expensive item to buy in the game, where do I go to buy it? I thught it was casnan but i cant find it in the shops
nevermind, just found it.

Top Bottom