• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys I & II Chronicles |OT|

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
2qc185j.jpg

2sbmvc4.jpg

Platform: PlayStation® Portable
Developer: Nihon Falcom
Publisher: Xseed Games
Official Site: http://www.worldofys.com/ysc/
Genre: Action RPG
Release Dates:
  • JP - July 16, 2009
  • NA - February 22, 2011
  • EU - February 24, 2011 (PSN Update)
Prices:
  • US Retail: $29.99
  • US PSN: $24.99

14o157a.jpg

Ys I & II consists of the first two games released in the Ys series, Ys I: Ancient Ys Vanished and Ys II: Ancient Ys Vanished – The Final
Chapter, with enhanced graphics, a Red Book CD audio soundtrack and animated cut scenes. In both games the player controls a
red-haired swordsman named Adol Christin. In the first game he must seek out the six Books of Ys. These books contain the history
of the ancient, vanished land of Ys, and will give him the knowledge he needs to defeat the evil forces currently sweeping the land of
Esteria. In Ys II Adol is transported to Ys, and begins a quest to unravel the secrets of the land, and finally rid it and Esteria of evil.
All English translations of Ys II were part of a compilation; no standalone version has been localized.

n6ssyd.jpg

2a5dr9f.jpg
dcx9uv.jpg

2aevy0z.jpg

5373577045_e9cf6eabc0.jpg

5373576927_5b47b3cbac_o.jpg

5374176686_7e4211a1ec_o.jpg

5373576901_0940376fbb.jpg

5373576971_3f02dcf2ca.jpg

5373576991_10ef44271c_o.jpg

2hpljdj.jpg

2ugcs34.jpg

Japanese 2009 Trailer
Hair Metal Trailer
Gameplay + Soundtrack Change Trailer
Gameplay 2 trailer

28i155u.jpg

RPG Fan - 83/100
RPGamer - 3.5/5
IGN - 6.5/100

Credits:
Wikipedia
Youtube
Google

Excellent OP. This is my game of the month for February. I bought Felghana and SEVEN and even Napishtim but haven't started them yet because I want to go through in chronological order. I know I don't have to, but I'm anal.

BARF! Nice! Really liking the work of the translator guy XSeed hired.

Peff

Pre-ordered both Radiant Historia and this a while ago. I suppose I won't see them until March, but then again it's Ys I/II again so it's not that bad. Still, HYPE!!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Thanks guys!

Me during hype (and probably on release and post release):

5373577045_e9cf6eabc0.jpg

Mechar

Neo Member
Great OP! I've pree-ordered this from Videogamesplus, and hopefully the game will ship on releaseday in the states. Until then, Dragon Quest IX will occupy my gametime.

depward

Having recently completed Oath and now undertaking 7, this will have to wait. But I'm looking forward to impressions nonetheless!

I really need to play these games but with all the other good games coming out lately I think this will have to wait a bit for me.

Salaadin

Nice job on the OP.
Im hyped for this. It hasnt been that long since I beat them for the first time but but Im ready to do it all again. XSEED has been making sure my PSP gets a good workout for the past year.

This is a game where I *really* wish XSeed would have gone to the effort of licensing the Turbografx soundtrack from Hudson and offered that as an option. It's also the first of these remakes where I don't like the new soundtrack of any song I've heard, dunno why they decided to go with their "Hair Metal" theme for *every* song, just because Falcom decided to do that with one single song in their version. I'll probably use the Ys Complete soundtrack for most of it.

Grimmy

Banned
Dreamwriter said:
This is a game where I *really* wish XSeed would have gone to the effort of licensing the Turbografx soundtrack from Hudson and offered that as an option. It's also the first of these remakes where I don't like the new soundtrack of any song I've heard, dunno why they decided to go with their "Hair Metal" theme for *every* song, just because Falcom decided to do that with one single song in their version. I'll probably use the Ys Complete soundtrack for most of it.

U mad.
The new Ys I & II Chronicles soundtrack is by far THE best remix I've ever heard from the Ys series. And I'm a fan of the original since the TG-16 and DOS versions. I love it so much this is by far of my most anticipated PSP Ys game of the 3

xero273

Scythesurge said:
I really need to play these games but with all the other good games coming out lately I think this will have to wait a bit for me.

you need more streaming material. just buy it.

Kobiekun

Great OT. Looking forward to receiving my copy next week. I need to complete my PCE version playthrough before I start this one.

Foffy

Banned
Fuck yeah, day one. It shocks me that the Ys series is so underrated when the games have some of the best soundtracks around.

Oyashiro

Good job on the OT! I will definitely be getting this. Ys 7 was awesome, and though I only played like an hour of OiF, it was really good as well. Can't wait! :)

Salaadin

Foffy said:
Fuck yeah, day one. It shocks me that the Ys series is so underrated when the games have some of the best soundtracks around.

I agree..but not only because of the soundtracks but because of everything. Its a really great series that deserves more of a presence. Im glad XSEED is bring these over and I hope the trend continues for any future Ys iteration/remake/re-release/whatever.

Babalu.

any word on if this is getting a PSN release? I have a psp go.

And i'm currently playing through oath of felghana and I still have to play through seven after that, and tactics ogre, and war of the lions, and jean d'arc, and persona...

damn...i just got the psp go and there is SOOOO much to play. its awesome.

Babalu. said:
any word on if this is getting a PSN release? I have a psp go.

And i'm currently playing through oath of felghana and I still have to play through seven after that, and tactics ogre, and war of the lions, and jean d'arc, and persona...

damn...i just got the psp go and there is SOOOO much to play. its awesome.
Ys: Oath in Falghana & Ys Seven both had day and date PSN releases along side the UMDs in the US. Both games also hit the UK PSN... eventually.

So I've no doubt that Xseed won't release Chronicles on PSN. You should be good to go.
No pun intended

I didn't know that FFT: War of the Lions had been released on PSN. Did you get it from the US PSN store?

ULTROS!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Chronicles would have a US PSN release. They're releasing it on EU PSN.

Even though I haven't played through much of Oath in Felghana I'll be buying Chronicles day one. Ever since I purchased Ys Books 1 & 2 on Virtual Console I've been waiting to play Chronicles. Ys 7 and Felghana are great and all but I just love the gameplay in the first two Ys games.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I can't wait to see what Falcom is up to next with the Ys series. After I get through with this one, I'm gonna eagerly await an Origins port or something. Ys 8 for NGP would be SICK!

Also, here's hoping the fan translations for Ys 5 and Origin finish sometime. Those are the only 2 Ys games I've never beaten, even though I hear 5 isn't anything to write home about and Origin doesn't star the man Adol.

Finally a good version of Ys 1 and 2, it only took us 20 years. Also, the OST Is amazing in this one, probably the best overall version of this music since the TG-CD versions, and it surpasses that one in many ways. When I purchesed the import PC verions of complete years ago I never dreamed we'd get an actual good release of them here. He're hopiong it does well, and gets a bit of coverage on release. OiF seemed to get mentioned absolutely nowhere.

Eww, I disagree. I didn't think that most of the songs of the game needed to be done as hair-metal with electric guitars and driving drum beats - in fact one of the things that originally made me love Ys 1&2 back in the day was the use of violins and other strings. I like the Ys Complete PC music better than what I've heard so far of the new game's original soundtrack.

cj_iwakura

Just want to chime in and mention that the Turbo Duo version on the Virtual Console has held up amazingly well, and I still want this version too.

Grimmy

Banned
Dreamwriter said:
Eww, I disagree. I didn't think that most of the songs of the game needed to be done as hair-metal with electric guitars and driving drum beats - in fact one of the things that originally made me love Ys 1&2 back in the day was the use of violins and other strings. I like the Ys Complete PC music better than what I've heard so far of the new game's original soundtrack.

I think you might be in the minority on this one....

Amazon just credited my $20 coupon, for Bulletstorm, to my account. So I'll now go ahead and order Ys Chronicles for a total of $8.99 out of my pocket!

ULTROS!

Hopefully I am able to get the game tomorrow. At the latest the day after.

Volcynika

Write-up at Siliconera:

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/02/22/ys-i-ii-chronicles-playtest-a-whirlwind-that-comes-and-goes/

Also apparently a part or two in Ys I are just not clear and might confuse players, sine the game doesn't do a good job at telling you how to do something (read the article to get what I mean).

But XSEED ran into this themselves, and commented about that issue.

Laura: Glad to see you enjoyed your experience, even if it did whiz past you in a haze of blood and gibs. I found your description of the Silver Sword search quite amusing, as our PR guy had the same problem, and was very WTF when I explained the solution to him. ;) As a result of that exchange, though, a full walkthrough to Ys I has been included in the Ys I & II Chronicles manual (both physical and digital versions), just to ensure nobody gets so frustrated trying to solve an obtuse puzzle that they give up altogether. It's titled "Reah's Trusty Field Manual," purely for the acronym. ;)

Johnas

Got my copy earlier. As predicted, yesterday when "Ashley" (ugh) from Gamestop called, she pronounced it "wise". I haven't played it yet, gotta wrap up Dragon Quest VI first.

I have to applaud XSeed for the packaging of this and Oath's LEs. Very attractive.

Hobbun

Volcynika said:
Write-up at Siliconera:

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/02/22/ys-i-ii-chronicles-playtest-a-whirlwind-that-comes-and-goes/

Also apparently a part or two in Ys I are just not clear and might confuse players, sine the game doesn't do a good job at telling you how to do something (read the article to get what I mean).

But XSEED ran into this themselves, and commented about that issue.

A full walkthrough for all of Ys I is in the manual? Just how big is the manual or how short is the game?

Hobbun said:
A full walkthrough for all of Ys I is in the manual? Just how big is the manual or how short is the game?
Wow, that's great! Thanks, Xseed! This why it's hard for me to go digital with my PSP games, great care taken in the physical packaging.

When PSP games start to look like the gutted pieces of shut that console games look like now, especially EA's games, I'll switch to PSN.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hobbun said:

Ys I is only 3-5 hours.

I still remember when this first came out in Japan. I was so tempted to import because I didn't think anyone would pick it up. Thank you XSEED! I hope the PSN update isn't late today... XD

Top Bottom