• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys I & II Chronicles |OT|

Peff

Hobbun said:
Oh wow. Ok, that’s pretty short.

Mostly if you know what to do. It's only three dungeons but the last one can be quite the headache. Ys II is longer though.

vocab

img0421zk.jpg

Shipped 3 hours ago, got it 20 mins ago. I thought it was my MVC3 guide.

muahaha

Yuterald

I got it and played Ys I for 2 hours on Nightmare and I love it! I played the turbo graphix virtual console versions before and the crappy DS port, but this version seems REALLY good. The remixed soundtrack is AMAZING! Lower level Shrine music is what the fuck awesome! I love how short the first game is too, there is just something about blasting through the game that's so much fun. No matter how many times I play the original I never tire of it.

For those looking to try Nightmare mode out, tough it out until you gain one level and get the first set of gear. Those blue headed monsters will practically destroy you, but after one level gain and at least a new sword you can handle them fairly well. From there it seems pretty balanced so far.

rainking187 said:
Wow. My Amazon order hasn't even gotten to Shipping Soon status yet. :/
It's probably been shipped already and Amaxon is slow to update there shipping records sometimes. I ordered a copy this morning and it shipped two hours ago.

Slime

Banned
Does anyone from Canada know if you can get it from any stores offline? I've checked all the major retailers and can't find it anywhere. Boo.

TylDurden

Banned
Very disappointed to hear that its bump attack style from the original Ys 1 and 2 instead of slash attack from the recent remakes. Oh well. I guess I'll get to see what the originals were like. Ark of Napishtim is still my favorite.

vocab

I really don't like the combat that much. Also, I still think my PSP is fucked up. I'm getting framerate problems just like Ys:Seven.

Slime said:
Does anyone from Canada know if you can get it from any stores offline? I've checked all the major retailers and can't find it anywhere. Boo.
From my experience, Seven and Oath in Felghana didn't show up in Canada right away. Had to wait about a week for both. Can't know for sure if that'll be the case again, but it might be.

Jigsaw

Banned
my copy has been shipped,but knowing axelmusic it will take 1-2 weeks until i get my hands on it x(

can someone take a photo with all 3 games next to each other to show the ys symbol on the spine?

Just bought on PSN. Digging the $24.99 price tag, but missing the box and any extras. Ys 1&2 are probably my most re-played games ever, and am happy they still retain their "bumping into enemies" playstyle. Nothing beats rushing a large group of goons and watching them explode into body parts and blood.

Yuterald

I really like all the small details in this version. Laundry sways in the breeze, seagulls by the port, little starfish and crabs on the beach, etc. Also, does anyone else flip out when they see the shadows of the clouds move on the field? I may sound crazy, but it's shit like this that puts a smile on my face. =)

linkboy

Fuck, I hate that boss in the first dungeon. Such a bastard.

Totally love this game though (other then that damn boss).

linkboy

Adam Prime said:
... so what's this game like, Zelda?

Kinda. This video (while crappy) should give you a general idea of the gameplay (its of Ys II)

Ys II

The later games switched to a style more akin to Secret of Mana. I highly recommend getting Oath in Felghana, Ys 7 and (even though its a bad port) The Ark of Napishtim.

This series is one of my favorites and I just got into it when the PS2 port of Napishtim came out.

This has the first two games (which were originally released back in the 80s). Its actually not a bad story (they even did an anime series for it, which I have as well).

Gunsmithx

So nice to finally have this on the go. I played this on PC and while it's not always deep it's a very enjoyable game and the music is fantastic.

I do wonder though how well this game will do since it's fairly different from both 7 and oath and the gameplay isn't for everyone.

TylDurden

Banned
linkboy said:
Kinda. This video (while crappy) should give you a general idea of the gameplay (its of Ys II)

Ys II

The later games switched to a style more akin to Secret of Mana. I highly recommend getting Oath in Felghana, Ys 7 and (even though its a bad port) The Ark of Napishtim.

This series is one of my favorites and I just got into it when the PS2 port of Napishtim came out.

This has the first two games (which were originally released back in the 80s). Its actually not a bad story (they even did an anime series for it, which I have as well).
LOL, so the combats kinda like Half Minute Hero. Now I'm interested in the bump combat.

Napishtim's not too bad as long as you play it off the memory stick, if you try to play the UMD it's terrible.

I'm just about an hour into it and loving it. This is how remakes should be.

A couple things though...

1. No voice overs? That was one of the things in the TG16 version that was groundbreaking at the time. Why take them out?

2. When you start a game you can choose either Origins (2001) or Chronicles (2009). Is that just for the music? What's the difference between them?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
linkboy said:
Fuck, I hate that boss in the first dungeon. Such a bastard.

Totally love this game though (other then that damn boss).

Man, get ready to hate even more bosses.

Dogfacedgod said:
I'm just about an hour into it and loving it. This is how remakes should be.

A couple things though...

1. No voice overs? That was one of the things in the TG16 version that was groundbreaking at the time. Why take them out?

2. When you start a game you can choose either Origins (2001) or Chronicles (2009). Is that just for the music? What's the difference between them?

The difference between Origins and Chronicles has to do with the style of character portraits in shops and when talking to certain characters.

linkboy

thetrin said:
Man, get ready to hate even more bosses.

Yea, but that's what makes Ys, Ys.

Great music, great gameplay and bosses that make you want to chuck your console into a river and curse at it in Latin.

Only to pick it right back up and try again.

Salaadin said:
The soundtrack guys! The soundtrack! Is this what love is?!

I used to think the TG16 CD versions of the songs were my favorite, but the Chronicles arrangements are simply divine. Switching between the different versions makes it so you will never get tired of a particular theme. Hell, even the PC88 versions have a lot of charm. Although I do kinda miss some of the electric guitar in the TG16 CDs boss theme.

Another big surprise for me was that Darm Tower actually has several different themes. A shame they weren't in the TG16 CD version, because that one big-bandy tune got so annoying about halfway through.

GrumpyAlien said:
Another big surprise for me was that Darm Tower actually has several different themes. A shame they weren't in the TG16 CD version, because that one big-bandy tune got so annoying about halfway through.

This is thanks to the MSX version. The MSX version had a different Darm Tower song and in later versions of the game they put both versions in the game.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
My copy came in today. Ripping it to ISO as we speak!
So fucking awesome. Never thought this day would come.
All of the PSP Ys games lined up in a row on my shelf.
In legitimate English!

It's amusing that from Ys VII -> Oath -> I&II the Premium Edition boxes got smaller and smaller. But the font and overall design are consistent, so they look great side-by-side, despite the differing dimensions!

They picked a great song for the in-XMB preview, too!
Shame that Falcom never brought back the NES mountain road song.
It was trippy, almost Castlevania-ish!

Syraxith

Is there any significant difference between Chronicles and ys Book I&II (NDS)? Other than the former being developed by Falcom.

Syraxith said:
Is there any significant difference between Chronicles and ys Book I&II (NDS)? Other than the former being developed by Falcom.
They are quite a bit different. Chronicles is baasically an enhanced port of the PC "Ys 1&2 Complete" that Falcom made in Japan, the DS game is a complete new remake of the game with some gameplay changes.

Teknoman

Yuterald said:
I really like all the small details in this version. Laundry sways in the breeze, seagulls by the port, little starfish and crabs on the beach, etc. Also, does anyone else flip out when they see the shadows of the clouds move on the field? I may sound crazy, but it's shit like this that puts a smile on my face. =)

Im with you. Little details that show people really focused on the environment are always great.

Just got my copy today! For the most part I'm loving the game, but I kind of wish that it had an optional tutorial so I could understand the controls and save system without looking at the manual (who does that these days). It took me three restarts (and a quick check of the manual) to figure out that you could save anywhere and that I didn't have to hit X to talk to people.

Yuterald said:

yes, finer details like these will pull you right into the game. i always loved to explore a living world that doesn't feel like a cut and paste job of the same static environments.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I couldn't wait so I bought the psn version. At least I saved $5-6 and I get to play it on my psp2 also!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Basileus777 said:
Is this the best PSP YS game for someone new to the series to start? Is there any reason to play them in order?

No need to play them in order though there are small links to the previous game/s.

If you want the current best (and evolved) Ys game, I'd recommend Ys Seven (party system, more towns, longer). If you want a much more traditional Ys game, I'd recommend Ys: The Oath in Felghana (8 hour game featuring Adol only). If you want an even more traditional Ys game, then maybe you can get this game (bump-and-ram attack system).

Though if you start with Ys Seven, you might have mixed feelings when you go backwards.

So if you want to experience the entire series and feel the evolution at the same time, you can go I&II->III(OiF)->VI->7

ULTROS!

3 reviews up.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Dogfacedgod said:
The TG-16 version was by Hudson, the Eternal/Complete/Chronicles versions of Ys I and II adhere pretty strictly (for the most part) to the very original versions Falcom created on the PC-88, et al., so they're not really "taking them out." In fact, I think the first Falcom game to ever have voice overs in its original version was Gurumin.

Macstorm

ULTROS! said:
No need to play them in order though there are small links to the previous game/s.

If you want the current best (and evolved) Ys game, I'd recommend Ys Seven (party system, more towns, longer). If you want a much more traditional Ys game, I'd recommend Ys: The Oath in Felghana (8 hour game featuring Adol only). If you want an even more traditional Ys game, then maybe you can get this game (bump-and-ram attack system).

Though if you start with Ys Seven, you might have mixed feelings when you go backwards.

So if you want to experience the entire series and feel the evolution at the same time, you can go I&II->III(OiF)->VI->7
I started with Ys Seven working backwards and I think I enjoyed Ys I & II more because of it. Then again, I'm seemingly in the minority of liking Seven and Chronicles more than Oath, so take my opinion for what it is. That said, I did enjoy Chronicles quite.

Xena

Nice-looking op!

Another good rpg to add to my PSP library, that's for sure. But it will be a while before I actually play it since I'm so hooked on Tactics Ogre and plan to play Radiata next...

ULTROS!

For those who've played book 1 or at least more than half of it, where can I find
the chest key from the temple
?

fushi

vocab said:
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/8748/img0421zk.jpg

Shipped 3 hours ago, got it 20 mins ago. I thought it was my MVC3 guide.

muahaha
Hopefully you hummed the Ys "item get" melody when it arrived.

Top Bottom