• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys I & II Chronicles |OT|

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Mine just arrived from Amazon!

They look so cute together, awwwww:

3Eygh.jpg

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The 3rd boss in Ys 1:

FFFFFFUUUUUU.jpg

Teknoman

Crazy how I just became an Ys fan last year...and now:

ou5zc0.jpg

Also YsI&II... dat soundtrack.

Still havent played VI, but i'll get to it after I&II. Its funny how the games are kinda on the short side, but they are so fulfilling on all fronts that they make you feel like you've played some 60+ hour adventure.

Guess i'll just beat the PSP version instead of finishing the VC TurboCD version. Got lost in Dark Fact's tower anyway :p

EDIT: Still wish they redid the boat sailing and intro scenes from the TurboCD version. Best version of Adol's theme ever.

Wow they went all out, and actually added a guide in the back of the book with upside-down text to prevent accidental spoiling. Nice XSeed!

Btw, could someone post the difference between the Complete and Chronicles character art?

Salsa

Gonna play these games in what seems to be the general thoughts on quality (from good to great).

So, Ys I&II, then Seven, then Oath.

And then maybe Napishtim.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Ys 1 done, next Ys 2.

Ys 1 is will be sort of difficult if you don't have a guide.

Xiul

I like old school games and have never trayed a Ys, soo I think its a good idea to start whit this one, wish me luck.

Teknoman

I wish Oath in Felgana's sprites were as big as Chronicles. Also Xiul, you'll be alright. Just dont give up too easily on boss battles. Also keep your mind clear in Darm's Tower...

You'll see.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Can someone please remind me who (and where) characters 57 and 58 are? Too lazy to install the PC version and load up my old cleared files. I'd imagine that the last two are Dogi and Fact. These are the only 4 I'm missing.

Thanks in advance!

Ys I, btw.

yspsp.png

To anyone in Canada waiting for the retail version to show up in stores, it should be out there now. Can't wait to dive into these, going to play them in order.

Got my hair metal edition and am listening to the soundtrack while I rig and weight a head. I did manage to play the game for a bit, at least to the point where Adol has exited the first village into the field and killed some monsters.

XSEED has done a bang up job bringing us these three games. I really appreciate the quality of the packaging, having art in the interior may be something some gamers take for granted, but in Canada because of the dual language packaging the interior is almost always bare. Combine that with the lush, full color manuals, the goodies they've packed in, they're up there with Atlus for my money.

Now if only they'd bring us Brandish: The Dark Revenant.

Yuterald

ULTROS! said:
The 3rd boss in Ys 1:

FFFFFFUUUUUU.jpg

I just fought that dude on Nightmare and it was a mess! I had 26 HP left when I finished him off. I was even LV10 (which is the max in this version?) and had all silver equipment. I used the defense ring so my damage output was horrible, it became an endurance battle.

I played the turbo graphix versions years ago so I can't remember, but are you not allowed to use the healing item during boss fights in this version? Has it always been like this? I seem to recall using items during boss fights in the other Ys 1 versions, but I could be wrong. It would have REALLY helped if I could use that stupid red potion!

ULTROS!

I have to say, Ys II is much better than 1. Not to mention lots of hilarious and awesome dialog.

Anyone know where I can find the characters that are numbered 45-48? I swear I've talked to everyone , but I'm missing those four.

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't realize there was another room at the clinic.

OK. That's it. I'm getting into this series. 1,2, 6 and 7 are out?

Anything I should know before diving in? Do they look ok on the psp-3000 screen?

Are they all available on the PSN store?

dvolovets

Not to hijack a PSP game thread, but are the DS remakes any good? I don't have a PSP and am not interested enough in the series to justify a new portable/console purchase.

Volcynika

dvolovets said:
Not to hijack a PSP game thread, but are the DS remakes any good? I don't have a PSP and am not interested enough in the series to justify a new portable/console purchase.

I heard they aren't that great, but I haven't tried them.

Yuterald

rainking187 said:
Anyone know where I can find the characters that are numbered 45-48? I swear I've talked to everyone , but I'm missing those four.

There are 4 hospitalized people in Minea. It might be the house that sells medicine. They are off to the right in a side room if I remember correctly.

Yuterald

dvolovets said:

I played the Legacy of Ys on DS that Atlus published and was not impressed at all. I believe these were also developed by someone other than Falcom, right? Ys I & II on DS is not the worst thing ever or anything, but pretty much every other version available for these classics is better. I'd say they are decent supplemental versions if you are Ys crazy and need more.

The PSP versions I feel are the definitive versions. I'd advise investing in a PSP soon (as they have just dropped price) or plan on playing them in the future on an NGP if you are interested in one of those. If you have just a passing interest in these games I'd highly suggest finding some way to play them in the end, the games are fantastic! =)

Volcynika

Yuterald said:
I played the Legacy of Ys on DS that Atlus published and was not impressed at all. I believe these were also developed by someone other than Falcom, right? Ys I & II on DS is not the worst thing ever or anything, but pretty much every other version available for these classics is better. I'd say they are decent supplemental versions if you are Ys crazy and need more.

The PSP versions I feel are the definitive versions. I'd advise investing in a PSP soon (as they have just dropped price) or plan on playing them in the future on an NGP if you are interested in one of those. If you have just a passing interest in these games I'd highly suggest finding some way to play them in the end, the games are fantastic! =)

Yeah, the Books I & II for DS were developed/ported or whatever by another company (not sure of the name). Falcom didn't do that.

Teknoman

outunderthestars said:
OK. That's it. I'm getting into this series. 1,2, 6 and 7 are out?

Anything I should know before diving in? Do they look ok on the psp-3000 screen?

Are they all available on the PSN store?

1,2,3,6, and 7. Dunno if 6 is.

dvolovets said:

The DS versions are abominations. This is coming from someone who has played just about every incarnation of Ys 1&2 there is. Aside from an alright translation from Atlus, they are absolute shit and to be avoided. Play the Turbografix 16 CD version on Wii if you can do that. Still one of the best versions there is imo.

Teknoman

Man...is it just me, or is the third boss harder in this version? Had a little trouble with the first, but that was due to being under leveled. Breezed right by the second boss...but hit a wall at the third boss. Still up trying to kill the thing, and it seems to be taking alot of hits, compared to the last two.

Oh and on the soundtrack, Chronicles seems much closer to the TurboCD version, especially the mines theme. So fitting for that environment.

ULTROS!

Teknoman said:
Man...is it just me, or is the third boss harder in this version? Had a little trouble with the first, but that was due to being under leveled. Breezed right by the second boss...but hit a wall at the third boss. Still up trying to kill the thing, and it seems to be taking alot of hits, compared to the last two.

Oh and on the soundtrack, Chronicles seems much closer to the TurboCD version, especially the mines theme. So fitting for that environment.

I'm assuming that's Ys 1 right?

Did you get the Silver Sword? You can only damage it with the Silver Sword.

LOVE & TRUTH said:
Too bad the manual is not availale if you buy the game off of PSN. At least I couldn't find it anywhere.

Its there, just checked. Press triangle over the animated icon for the game and select the game manual. Can't access from in the actual game though, like PS1 games.

Mejilan

Mejilan said:
Can someone please remind me who (and where) characters 57 and 58 are? Too lazy to install the PC version and load up my old cleared files. I'd imagine that the last two are Dogi and Fact. These are the only 4 I'm missing.

Thanks in advance!

Ys I, btw.

No one? :(

ULTROS!

Mejilan said:

Betel and Lydia, they're somewhere in Minea.

GrumpyAlien said:
Its there, just checked. Press triangle over the animated icon for the game and select the game manual. Can't access from in the actual game though, like PS1 games.
Nope - it says "No software manual found for this game". I have a European version though, maybe it's not included there.

LOVE & TRUTH said:
Nope - it says "No software manual found for this game". I have a European version though, maybe it's not included there.

Thats gotta be why. US version here. Sorry to hear that though as its a pretty good manual.

vall03

damn! Dark Fact is much more harder here than the TG-16 version. Not only are there more attacks, hes even faster! gotta keep on trying I guess...

Teknoman

ULTROS! said:
I'm assuming that's Ys 1 right?

Did you get the Silver Sword? You can only damage it with the Silver Sword.

Oh right! Knew I forgot something. Guess its always best to return anything you find and then come back to fight. Funny how the second time through I ended up sorta rushing things.

Teknoman

Alright, time to climb the tower. Got lost in the TurboCD version on the VC, so hopefully i'll fare better here...especially since there is a floor indicator :p

More RPGs need ancient tower dungeons today...miss stuff like this, Tower of Babel, and the Giant's Dungeon.

7threst

Diseased Yak said:
Mine just arrived from Amazon!

They look so cute together, awwwww:

3Eygh.jpg

seems the boxes get thinner with every re-release :)
Anyway, my copy is shipped, and expect to get it this week!
Only played the TG-version on the Virtual Console and totally loved it!

Yuterald said:
I just fought that dude on Nightmare and it was a mess! I had 26 HP left when I finished him off. I was even LV10 (which is the max in this version?) and had all silver equipment. I used the defense ring so my damage output was horrible, it became an endurance battle.

I played the turbo graphix versions years ago so I can't remember, but are you not allowed to use the healing item during boss fights in this version? Has it always been like this? I seem to recall using items during boss fights in the other Ys 1 versions, but I could be wrong. It would have REALLY helped if I could use that stupid red potion!

Do the rings even do anything during the boss fights? I brought the health restoring ring and it didn't seem to do anything.

Also Hard is bad enough, I couldn't imagine trying to fight him on Nightmare.

Teknoman

Crap, thats what I forgot to find, the defense ring. Eh I havent had any trouble with enemies while having the power ring equipped. Sucks to have a random empty spot though.

Does anything carry over to II?

Yuterald

Ys I complete! Finished it last night on Nightmare mode with everything collected, max level, and complete Monster (with stats included) & People book. Holy shit was it tough though! Darm Tower monsters and bosses were ridiculous! It became so frustrating at one point that I wasn't enjoying myself. I don't mind the lawnmower mechanics in these two old games either. For the most part the fast nature of the combat makes the game incredibly fast paced and addicting. I always found the first two Ys games were tough to put down because of their momentum. At one point though I just didn't feel like the mechanics lent themselves to the difficulty. Nightmare mode was pretty WTF at times. Is anyone else playing both games on Nightmare? It's a lot harder than I thought it would be.

Without spoiling them too much, all the bosses in Darm Tower left me in a state of "whoa..." when I first steamrolled into their chambers. Even with the defense ring equipped your damage output becomes gimped and every battle becomes an endurance fight. I guess I ultimately came up with a working strategy which basically applied to every boss fight in the tower. This 'strategy' consisted of weaving in and out of bullshit projectiles striking only if the cost was clear. Tackling into these bosses pretty much resulted in instant death. It did feel satisfying when I took these beasts down though.

What would have helped was if you could use your HEALING POTION during boss battles! Seriously, what is the point of having a quick select item slot if you can't even use it when you need it most! At least in Ys 7 on Nightmare the game reduced item max for a lot of the healing items to 3 instead of, what, 10 was it? This would have alleviated a lot of my frustration with this difficulty. The thing I'd like to know is if this is a Nightmare only limitation. Anyone playing on a difficulty below Nightmare notice this?

Now
Dark Fact
gets his own paragraph. This battle was the king of all ridiculousness. His move sets was so annoying that it almost made me rage quit. His meteor strikes that followed you would have been fine if it wasn't for his panel deleting bullshit! I can't believe Adol can get stuck between two empty panels either. At this point you had no choice but accept death. There were so many times where he would have been dead in two hits, but a panel ended up deleting me. When I finally did finish him I was like, "holy shit fuck this game!" lol!

None of this made me dislike the game or anything, but it was certainly a lesson in frustration, at least on Nightmare mode. I've moved onto Ys II and I am already enjoying it again more than the first one. Ys II on nightmare seems to be a bit more balanced so far when compared to the original. I hope it stays this way though because I don't want to experience something like Darm Tower again! =)

Yuterald

Teknoman said:
Crap, thats what I forgot to find, the defense ring. Eh I havent had any trouble with enemies while having the power ring equipped. Sucks to have a random empty spot though.

Does anything carry over to II?

No equipment carries over. Only the Ys Books because they are story/progression related in Ys II and a few People entries in your NOTE Book carry over.

Mejilan

I'm playing on Nightmare mode as well, but I've been through the Ys games so many dozens of times, that I have the boss patterns all but burnt into my soul. :D

RoboGeorgeForeman said:
Do the rings even do anything during the boss fights? I brought the health restoring ring and it didn't seem to do anything.

Rings have never had any effect in boss battles in Falcom versions of Ys I.

Yuterald

RoboGeorgeForeman said:

I believe the regen ring only works in "safe spots". It will never work in a boss fight and I am pretty sure it will not work in rooms with enemies. The ring does work well in places like the outside balconies in Darm Tower. This is actually a great spot to get HP back between floors if enemies become a problem.

You also can't switch rings during boss battles. Whatever you have on your quick select as you initiate the boss if what you are stuck with. I really hate the way this works too. Same with the healing item on quick select, you can't use it in boss battles! It's probably my biggest and only problem with Ys I.

Tucah

you speak so well
I bought this last week, but I've played through I&II so many times I probably won't touch it for a while :lol

Mejilan

Yuterald said:
I believe the regen ring only works in "safe spots". It will never work in a boss fight and I am pretty sure it will not work in rooms with enemies. The ring does work well in places like the outside balconies in Darm Tower. This is actually a great spot to get HP back between floors if enemies become a problem.

You also can't switch rings during boss battles. Whatever you have on your quick select as you initiate the boss if what you are stuck with. I really hate the way this works too. Same with the healing item on quick select, you can't use it in boss battles! It's probably my biggest and only problem with Ys I.

The heal ring works anywhere save for during boss fights.
In 'safe spots' (mostly outdoors), you can heal even without the ring.
The ring was specifically included for healing even in monster-infested dungeons. It just won't trigger until you're stand unmoving for 2 or 3 seconds.

Yuterald

Mejilan said:
The ring was specifically included for healing even in monster-infested dungeons. It just won't trigger until you're stand unmoving for 2 or 3 seconds.

Right, gotcha. Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you heal slowly even in monster-infested dungeons without the ring? I did notice on the outside portions of Darm Tower that your heal ring increase the rate of healing more so than if you were inside. I guess these safe spots would also include towns and the main field.

Mejilan said:

So do the other rings work for boss fights (strangely I've never worn any other ring before a boss fight)?

Top Bottom