• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys SEVEN PC |OT| Trails in the Flash Guard

Psxphile

dQ7HQFH.png

Title: Ys Seven
Developer: Nihon Falcom
Publisher: XSEED Games/Marvelous USA, Inc.
Platform: Windows PC (Steam / GOG / Humble Bundle)
Genre: Action RPG
Release: August 30, 2017 Worldwide
Price: $24.99 / €24.99 / £19.99 w/ a 10% launch week discount

PC Announcement Trailer
PC Launch Trailer
Ys SEVEN PC - Localization Blog #1

q5p5v9G.jpg

Xseed PR said:
Story

The kingdom of Altago is rebuilding around a newfound peace after years of war against the merciless armies of Romn. The classic adventuresome duo, Adol and Dogi, arrive in the harbor of Altago City and quickly find themselves in a scuffle with the Dragon Knights, the kingdom's military police body, when attempting to save a local girl from harassment by one of their commanding officers. Upset by the interruption and subsequent humiliation, the commander arrests Adol and Dogi, charging them with espionage.

The king of Altago, however, having known of the duo's pending arrival from an old trusted friend, quickly releases the pair from prison and summons them to his chambers. He tells the men about an ancient shrine that was uncovered after a recent earthquake, and asks for their help in investigating this mysterious new find. Adol and Dogi oblige, unaware that they are about to take the first steps on a long journey to save all of Altago from long-forgotten ancient forces, and to reunite the estranged five tribes who serve and protect the Five Great Dragons – deified beings who may well be the world's last hope.

About

Ys Seven was the first fully 3D entry in this storied franchise, the first Ys title to allow players to control multiple characters at once, and also the first title in the series to reach a wide mainstream audience in the West. Though built for the PSP system, it's finally coming home to PC where it has been upscaled and presented in HD, complete with all the features of a modern PC release. The combat system consists of a three-member battle party with enemies engaged on the field map in real-time for fast-paced combat. Old fans of the series and new players alike will be immersed in its rich, vibrant world containing over 30 hours of gameplay.

Key Features

• Gorgeous PSP Action RPG Gets a Modern PC Facelift – The leap to PC is accompanied by many improvements such as full HD, multiple user-configurable settings, a smooth 60fps framerate, achievements (when applicable; not offered on DRM-free version), and more.
  • Epic Story Spanning Over 30 Hours of Gameplay – This tale of Five Great Dragons, a wartorn kingdom, ancient rites, and more spans over 30 hours of gameplay as the player ventures on an epic quest to save the world.
  • Real-Time Combat With Epic Boss Fights – As per Ys tradition, all enemies big and small are seen and engaged on the field map in real time, with up to three party members available to swap among at will in order to fluidly strategize and take them down.
  • New Skills Learned Through Weapons, Rewarding Exploration – Unique in the Ys series, new skills for each character are learned by wielding different weapons, rewarding players for exploring dungeons thoroughly to find every treasure.

Mocking up a quick OT for the release since Dragoon En Regalia won't be available.
Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to see here in the OP, I think I have all the basics but it could maybe stand to be fleshed out a little more.

jb1234

XSeed is being just a *tad* generous with the game's length.

I'll be picking it up for sure, although I played through the game a few years ago and won't likely replay it any time soon. But always gotta support Falcom.

Slygmous

XSeed is being just a *tad* generous with the game's length.

My first playthrough (PSP version on Vita) lasted 24 hours, so it seems about right.

Game almost feels too long, despite being a lot shorter than most RPGs. I'm still double-dipping.

jb1234

My first playthrough (PSP version on Vita) lasted 24 hours, so it seems about right.

Game almost feels too long, despite being a lot shorter than most RPGs. I'm still double-dipping.

Took me a little over 20, if I remember correctly. I'm just not sure how you could get over 30 hours on this sucker. Maybe I missed content or something...

I beat it on hard last week at 24 hours I believe. It's probably my favourite of the series so far followed closely by VI, my personal favourite from the non-party based, and Felghana.
For me it was much better than the other party based game; Celteta, which I beat before VII.

And yes, that title is magnificent OP.

Slygmous

Took me a little over 20, if I remember correctly. I'm just not sure how you could get over 30 hours on this sucker. Maybe I missed content or something...

Wait, 30 hours?? Where did Xseed get that?

It says "over 20" on Steam:

Steam said:
One of the most complex and involving storylines of the entire series, spanning well over 20 hours’ worth of gameplay

Good job OP on doing the OT on such short notice.
I can't wait for the weekend so I can get this. It's the last one I have to play before VIII.

Great work Psxphile! I'll definitely have more to add later this week.

Feels like I've been playing Falcom games all year.
We've still got Ys VIII in under two weeks, Zwei: Ilvard Insurrection at some point (a great late-PC-era Falcom game which shouldn't go unnoticed, blending parts of Gurumin and Xanadu Next (and its prequel, Zwei!!)), a bunch of fan translations for games harder to obtain, and Tokyo Xanadu eX+ possibly at year's end. Plus, we've got the next big Falcom game releasing in East Asia soon, even if we're not seeing Cold Steel III in English for some time.

MechaX

Between this and Trails PC, I sure have been buying a lot of Falcom games despite not having the time to go through them yet. But I will buy this (and Ys 8) to show my support.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Currently playing Ys Origin, halfway through with the girl and am planning to eventually work through the chronology to Ys 8.

I probably will get caught up in 2020.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Should I play this before Ys VIII? I'm not sure when I'll buy/get gifted either, but I'm guessing Ys VIII features many QoL that'll make it a bit hard to go back to Ys Seven. Though I did play Celceta first anyway, but maybe that was long enough ago that I won't miss whatever improvements Celceta added to Seven...

Skulldead

Currently playing Ys Origin, halfway through with the girl and am planning to eventually work through the chronology to Ys 8.

I probably will get caught up in 2020.

HAHA all the main game in the series are really short. If you never stop you can caught up to 7 in no time.

Usobuko

Banned
Should I play this before Ys VIII? I'm not sure when I'll buy/get gifted either, but I'm guessing Ys VIII features many QoL that'll make it a bit hard to go back to Ys Seven. Though I did play Celceta first anyway, but maybe that was long enough ago that I won't miss whatever improvements Celceta added to Seven...

Celceta isn't that much of an upgrade compare to Seven in QoL. VIII seems to have a much bigger jump.

Quality wise, I'll say it depends on your opinion on Celceta. Seven is harder, with much more backtracking but has better osts and story. Boss wise, they are all kinda unmemorable compare to Oath and Origin.

Lumping Seven's bosses in with Celceta? I'd say Seven has some bosses more notable than what you fight in Oath and Origin, just not all of them (not like that's a bad thing). You still get a healthy dose of phase-based boss fights in this game, with almost all patterns adding something meaningful, while Celceta's bosses go through the motions a lot more. Seven probably had more care put into boss design because this was the first party-system Ys game and Falcom had to teach players some new concepts and battle flow, plus all of the fresh ideas they had.

Though I did play Celceta first anyway, but maybe that was long enough ago that I won't miss whatever improvements Celceta added to Seven...
The only thing I hope gets fixed for Seven is having to manually charge attacks for extra SP, which Celceta does automatically. All this does is force you to be more deliberate when starting a fight so you can keep your skill flow going longer, but it's extra annoying on PSP because of ergonomics. Custom gamepad support makes this less of a problem.

preta

Celceta isn't that much of an upgrade compare to Seven in QoL. VIII seems to have a much bigger jump.

Quality wise, I'll say it depends on your opinion on Celceta. Seven is harder, with much more backtracking but has better osts and story. Boss wise, they are all kinda unmemorable compare to Oath and Origin.

Yeah, VIII really is a huge jump over Seven and Celceta and I'd suggest playing it after Seven if you're going to play both.

VIII also has much better bosses than Seven or Celceta.

kurahador

I remember playing this on Hard and only know about Flash Guard until the 2-3 bosses away from the last boss.

Apparently the game never tell you about Flash Guard, you'll only find it out from the PSP manual lol.

Ascheroth

I'm surprised you have more time in Felghana
I have 75 hours into Origin and didn't even play Nightmare or beat the optional fights
well I'm still missing 2 Nightmare runs and Boss Rushes in Origin.
I've spent a lot of time in Inferno and Bosh Russes in Felghana :)

Damaniel

Banned
On the Humble Store, it's only $16.86 with the 10% Humble Monthly discount.

Now I've got something to play until VIII comes out. I played Seven back when it first came out, but there's no such thing as too much Ys.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Up on GOG, so I bought it. $22.49 after discount is a pretty steep asking price -- frankly, I can't see this game doing well in light of that. But whatever. I really liked the game on PSP, and I have to support these games coming to PC. Doubly so when they're coming out DRM-free in this dark, Denuvo-plagued era.

I haven't quite finished Ark yet, but I went ahead and picked this up. I should be finishing Ark within the next day or so, and then I can dig into this.

Zafir

Not sure if intended, but it's 16,86€ for me on Humble. (22,49€ on Steam)

Seems like that's been fixed.

Up on GOG, so I bought it. $22.49 after discount is a pretty steep asking price -- frankly, I can't see this game doing well in light of that. But whatever. I really liked the game on PSP, and I have to support these games coming to PC. Doubly so when they're coming out DRM-free in this dark, Denuvo-plagued era.

Admittedly, with 8 coming out so soon, and considering the other games which came out this week, the price has kind of put me off.

It's high enough that it's out of my impulse purchase territory.

I'll probably wait for a sale, as much as I want to support Ys.

Here's my current X360 pad set-up:

JRKFJuA.png

I really wish they fixed having to charge manually, but this lets me mitigate the awkward claw-grip I developed playing this a while back. And I find guarding with both triggers mighty cumbersome (triggers are too deep to depress quick enough), so I chose a hybrid bind where I set the skill/right-guard trigger to RB. Some of the other binds are weird because I've mostly mashed the A button in too hard to feel good for regular attacking...that's what Ys addiction does to gamepads.

Will properly beat the first boss on this Hard run after I get home.

Have we found out who ported this game yet?
Hyde, a JP team which also helped release Gurumin 3DS in Japan. Tom @ XSEED's said they're big fans of Falcom games, which is one reason they chose this project.

Top Bottom