• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana |OT| Two Systems, Two Heroes, One BIG HOLE

So is this a good jumping on point for people who have never played the series and how's the vita version?

You can jump in almost every YS you want, lots of them have different gameplay, and you don't need the story of previous episode to understand what's happen, just adol adventuring! My favourite are oath in felghana and origin, but they don't have the same gameplay as VIII!

Play the ps4 version, it's 60 fps and have more content...

vita is 30 fps with slowdowns almost everywhere

Saphirax

man, i don't mind typos and grammar errors, but changing a character personality is dumb as hell, how do they justify it in the game? Especially since there's still japanese voice available... if you hear japanese a lot, you can tell when they're not matching

I mean, just looking at Ys 8 alone should tell you :p. It's not a terrible translation, but it is bland and characters do not get to shine as much as they would in the hands of someone more competent. At this point, I'm just glad Ys 8's translation isn't worse.

sandpiper

Ah, thanks.
I don't mind getting the games quicker, but it's not good if the quality has to suffer because of that.
Xseed usually does a good job with translations, don't they?
They do. XSEED translations of Falcom games are the gold standard, and the staff is filled with longtime Falcom hardcore fans intimately familiar with lore and terminology. That being said, they're small so they can't throw around as much money as NISA and Aksys, or churn things out as quickly.

Mr.Jeff

Think the game shafted me from a ton of experience :(-chapter 2 spoilers
I thought the t rex monster u are meant to run away from, lured it to the cure point and went to town in it. After ages I got its hp down to zero, it fell over and died. I start expecting to see the level up message for the team,
however no the monster arises and with full hp :(. This happen to anyone else?
That's meant to happen. Keep playing.

Aeana

Yeah, I'll say that at least Ys 8's dialogue is grammatical English. And for the most part, the sentences are natural. It's just like... terms, boss descriptions, Japanese set phrases were all just literally translated for some reason. It's like the translator and editors are all native English speakers, totally competent, but specifically wanted this kind of dry translation.

Bladenic

Sorry, it's Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony and the localization is bad.

Typos, mistranslations, bad grammar, loss of character voice and changing character's personalities are some of NISA's staples and they all show up in NDRV3.

I'll leave it at that since it's a Ys thread :p.

If you're interested in knowing a little more: https://curiouscat.me/BlackDragonHunt (You'll have to scroll down and find the appropriate posts. Shouldn't be further than late June though).

But like DR is their biggest franchise. One of their biggest certainly.

Loudninja

Think the game shafted me from a ton of experience :(-chapter 2 spoilers
I thought the t rex monster u are meant to run away from, lured it to the cure point and went to town in it. After ages I got its hp down to zero, it fell over and died. I start expecting to see the level up message for the team,
however no the monster arises and with full hp :(. This happen to anyone else?
Man that sucks.

I almost fell to a death trap with 8 or so big walruses trying to kill me in a small space during the night exploration. Best moment of the game so far.

sasliquid

You can jump in almost every YS you want, lots of them have different gameplay, and you don't need the story of previous episode to understand what's happen, just adol adventuring! My favourite are oath in felghana and origin, but they don't have the same gameplay as VIII!

Play the ps4 version, it's 60 fps and have more content...

vita is 30 fps with slowdowns almost everywhere

But my vita....

What sort of content is different?

Thud

If I'm dissapointed with something so far, is without doubt the translation made by NISA. I don't want to start a discussion about possible what if scenarios were other company would have made a better job, but as it is, the translation itself is mediocre; it could be much better for NISA standards, like for example those of the Danganronpa series (I hope DV3 next week doesn't have problems like Ys VIII).

I've read that the french translation is in a worse state, so I don't know if there's a posibility that NISA tackles this problem, but I hope they try at least. If not, well, there's always that fanmade patch in process for the pc port.

I'm most disappointed by the use of "«...»" throughout the game. It looks like something fansubbers would do.

Ascheroth

NISA outbid XSEED, Hatsuu posted on Twitter that they didn't just give it up.

https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/832797511479734273

Falcom wants their games out quicker presumably.

As for working together, not close enough that XSEED gets pre-release access. Falcom's never let XSEED start translating a game before it's out in Japan iirc.
And yet they couldn't deliver the PC version on time.
Will probably lessen their chance of getting the next game.

Dude you dont know how many time is used them by accident so annoying!

This also happened to me untill I changed the buttons layout. I think by default it was L1+R1 (ps4) and these also were evade and guard/skill respectively if I'm not mistaken. Got myself in unwanted trouble thanks to that layout.

I changed the layout more or less because I wanted to avoid the guard/skill usage at the same time:

Skill-R2 (+R1 for extra)
Guard-R1 (got accustumed to use it, so I can't change it without risking my neck)

The rest is mostly the default, with things like use fishing rod and zone minimap assigned to the central button and having the items menu and party tactics in the d-pad.

I would recommend assign "use status restorative" to something like L3 or R3 if needed.

Loudninja

I changed the layout more or less because I wanted to avoid the guard/skill usage at the same time:

Skill-R2 (+R1 for extra)
Guard-R1 (got accustumed to use it, so I can't change it without risking my neck)

The rest is mostly the default, with things like use fishing rod and zone minimap assigned to the central button and having the items menu and party tactics in the d-pad.

I would recommend assign "use status restorative" to something like L3 or R3 if needed.
Thanks will play around with some layouts and see how it works out.

sasliquid

2 new extra mission styles for regular exploration, Dana gets more content and there's a post game dungeon added.

...I'm not sure what that means, is that like 1 or 10 hours?

I much rather play on my vita, is it much worse and if so how are the other ys games on vita so I can have a taste first?

apd_ng

I much rather play on my vita, is it much worse and if so how are the other ys games on vita so I can have a taste first?

All the PSP games, and Memories of Celceta

I've only played the two full 3d ones in Seven and Celceta I love em both, not playing VIII due in its entirety due to PC release delay, but from what I played of the JAP version its good fun

Mr.Jeff

It's difficult to say? I'm playing on Inferno so everything's taking goddamn ages.
They've added:
Night-time missions. You re-enter x number of dungeons for reasons and achieve your objectives with new enemy layouts

Enemy-base missions. Kinda reverse tower defense. You assault an enemy location, establish little bases, wipe out enemy ones and kill a boss monster.

Dana has more story in her section, more cutscenes and a bunch of stuff added. She also has her own personal dungeon which you enter X times and do stuff.

Post-story dungeon. It's an extra dungeon.

The vita version is playable however it has a noticeably lower frame rate and more frustrating for me, longer load times. Every screen transition has a 5-10 second load time. After playing the PS4 version, there's no way I'd go back.

Early chapter 3 spoilers
I love the little details with the appreciation system; dead characters have their stars filled and the ones for the slasher have been removed. It makes harder to predict the fate of some of these castways. Finally got to see more from Dana's side which is starting to be interesting. Also, I didn't notice that the overworld ancient species revive until it was too late. Got a few laughts thanks to that.

Been thinking of turning the difficulty up to Nightmare. Question is, I know there is a trophy associated with beating the game on Nightmare, so would I still be able to get it even though I started on Hard?

How is the platinum in this game?
I got platinum in celceta, so I would love to get it in 8 too. Are they relatively similar? (the trophies)

lionpants

What's the best possible rank for interceptions? A? I noticed I got an S on the first one, but it appears as an A in the retry list.

Loudninja

What's the best possible rank for interceptions? A? I noticed I got an S on the first one, but it appears as an A in the retry list.
S is the best possible rank that S you see was most likely for the other team.

There are 2 ranks one for each team at the end you only get stuff for you rank.

e_i

Laxia is starting to annoy me with her calling Adol "Adol Christian" all the time. I half expect her to blurt out "TOSHINO KYOUKO."

lionpants

Thanks for the rank answer.

Another question...

What's up with the small red bar above the active character's health bar? The length seems to vary based on who is active.

Top Bottom