• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana |OT| Two Systems, Two Heroes, One BIG HOLE

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The translation problems have been way overblown and hyperbolized in this thread. It's not nearly as bad as everyone says, but the opposite isn't true, either - it's not XSeed quality.

It doesn't have the 110% tender love and care XSeed puts in, but it's not bad. I'm not excusing the occasional wooden lines you see, but it's way less distracting than people are making it out to be.

People made a big fuss about Persona 5, too. It's about at that level, I would say. So, not amazing, but not terrible, and certainly above serviceable.

Oreiller

No Falcom game does.

Again, I see no appreciable difference between this and the last two I played -- Cold Steel 2 and Tokyo Xanadu. It's all standard JRPG fare.

I wouldn't go that far but the localisation complaints are way overblown. It's a pretty bog-standard localisation, it's not great but it's far from being terrible.

At least, we don't have painful puns about Dragon Quest in this one (I'm looking at you Ys Seven).

Nyoro SF

If you're interested in Ys VIII you're going to have to ignore the script errors and bad translations and enjoy the great gameplay it offers. Cause it's an addicting game with a rocking soundtrack.

I see no appreciable difference between this translation and pretty much every XSeed game out there.

NIS got the game out in a reasonable time, as a great package, and with the best CE ever made. I hope they get the series for the foreseeable future.

Damn dude, that's some serious NISA shilling. "I hope they get the series for the forseeable future". What are you, a private investor in NISA equity?
All the speed and packaging in the world doesn't matter if you deliver poorly on the game's localization.

OK, since I'm seeing a lot of "not bad" and "overblown" comments, I'll just take a shitload of screenshots from here on out. It's one thing if you don't give a shit about the writing and just want to play an awesome game, but I don't think I'll stand for excuses towards bad writing.

Intel_89

So how does the "Explore thoroughly" trophies work? I got the one for Adol, as I explored most of the time with him. Is it a certain map percentage cleared with a character in the lead or just in the party? I've been running around as Sahaad for awhile now with nothing to show for it yet.

Play with a certain character for X amount of time, I just recently got the one for Adol at around 15 hours of play time, this being Ys you're constantly changing characters though.

Ascheroth

It's funny because a lot of reviewers in particular criticized the writing/dialogue/story in that game upon release. For a lot of similar reasons.

Not to take a side in this localization debate. I'm one who sort of pays more attention to the meaning behind dialogue than what's actually being said so a lot of the lines don't really bother me. I think a lot of the characterization still comes through for most of the characters so I'm enjoying it.

(I also really like Laxia's "Adol Christin" and "Criminy" choices for her...)
The PC version has a revised script. Obviously I don't know how much it differs from the PSP version.
I have some issues with dialog and story-focus in Seven, but localization is not one of them.

I don't know the differences either. I'm just saying that the complaints now matter about as much to me as the complaints then. I really enjoyed Ys Seven in all regards back then and I'm doing the same with Ys VIII at the moment

OK, since I'm seeing a lot of "not bad" and "overblown" comments, I'll just take a shitload of screenshots from here on out. It's one thing if you don't give a shit about the writing and just want to play an awesome game, but I don't think I'll stand for excuses towards bad writing.

Oh god please don't.

Can we just go back to talking about the game lol. This thread was real cool for a minute when everyone was enjoying themselves.

Ascheroth

I don't know the differences either. I'm just saying that the complaints now matter about as much to me as the complaints then. I really enjoyed Ys Seven in all regards back then and I'm doing the same with Ys VIII at the moment

Oh god please don't.

Can we just go back to talking about the game lol. This thread was real cool for a minute when everyone was enjoying themselves.
I don't see how greatly enjoying the game and critizing a part of it at the same time are mutually exclusive in any way.

The game is not unplayable by any means and the translation is serviceable enough to enjoy the story and the game. But I stand by my opinion that compared to other NISA translations is below their standard and it shows how they have rushed to get the game out. For me it's disappointing. I didn't have problems until the last part of chapter 2 when the way the dialogue flows started to make me enjoy less what was happening, with certain moments where the characters speak too literal and made me wonder if it could have been put in a different way.

I know "mediocre" sounds like an exaggeration, but I care for the story of the game and I've found moments where I've enjoy it less than what I could have.

This is my point of view though, and again I'm really enjoying my time with this game and I could see it being better than some of the big jrpg released this year.

Granjinha

ehh the translation really isn't that bad. The story is still really cool.

Anyway, quick question: Could you jump in memories of Celceta/YS VII? No, right?

The PC version has a revised script. Obviously I don't know how much it differs from the PSP version.
I have some issues with dialog and story-focus in Seven, but localization is not one of them.
Nah, I clearly remember people complaining Seven's localization on PSP being dry and XSeed apologizing for it. They really started to deliver with OiF.

It's interesting (but not surprising) to hear that they touched the script up in the PC release. I really need to look into that sometime, especially since I've been wanting to revisit Seven for a while now.

Think I'm going to buy it tomorrow, it looks cool and I just finished Mario x Rabbids.

Is Dana a party member you can control btw? Or is that spoiler territory?

Begaria

Think I'm going to buy it tomorrow, it looks cool and I just finished Mario x Rabbids.

She's right on the cover, so I don't that marks her too much as spoilers. You do get to control her.

she is. It's not really spoilers. The dual protagonist nature of the game with her and Adol has been a selling point since the game's announcement

Thud

Dana is separate from Adol. The segments about Dana so far have been story only (~10 hours in), but later on you should control her :p.

hawk2025

Jesus Christ, am I allowed to disagree without being aggressively called a "NIS shill", "stream of constant nonsense", and "You simply don't pay enough attention."?

Cqef

To all the people claiming all the criticism toward the localisation is overblown and hyperbolised: you don't care enough to notice anything? That's perfectly fine, we all have different standards and expectations after all. But please, because you can't figure out the problems doesn't mean they aren't real or less serious than they're made out to be by people who actually care more than you.

hawk2025

To all the people claiming all the criticism toward the localisation is overblown and hyperbolised: you don't care enough to notice anything? That's perfectly fine, we all have different standards and expectations after all. But please, because you can't figure out the problems doesn't mean they aren't real or less serious than they're made out to be by people who actually care more than you.
I *never* said it was overblown or hyperbolised. This is what got me raked over the coals:

I see no appreciable difference between this translation and pretty much every XSeed game out there.

NIS got the game out in a reasonable time, as a great package, and with the best CE ever made. I hope they get the series for the foreseeable future.

"I see no appreciable difference"

**I** see no appreciable difference.

Appreciable, as in "large or important enough to be noticed". By me.

hawk2025

You realise I'm not addressing this to you specifically, right?

No, I don't. It's hard to not be defensive when you get called a shill and unable to pay attention due to a clearly framed personal view on the impact of a translation on an action RPG.

It would probably be good for everyone if I put this discussion to rest. I won't be addressing the translation discussion further.

At first I didn't like to play him very much, but I can see Sahad becoming a serious killing machine by endgame.

Also, (5th party member spoilers)
Ricotta right now feels like downgrade compared to Sahad. Less damage, worse abilities, only more agile.

Begaria

At first I didn't like to play him very much, but I can see Sahad becoming a serious killing machine by endgame.

Also, (5th party member spoilers)
Ricotta right now feels like downgrade compared to Sahad. Less damage, worse abilities, only more agile.

His Grand Anchor skill is beasting through a ton of enemies for me. When hitting weak points, it does like 3x the damage in one hit that takes Adol's best skill that I have 3 hits to do.

People made a big fuss about Persona 5, too. It's about at that level, I would say. So, not amazing, but not terrible, and certainly above serviceable.

This is not a flattering comparison! Persona 5 had a poor localization that actively detracted from the quality of the game.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ys VIII's localization is significantly worse than P5's.

It's even better when it's voice acted typo and all
Wait until burn damage starts happening. Full health to dead in 2 seconds!
LOL That somehow feels more merciful than the party waltzing onto something that paralyzes them then everyone dies in rapid succession as you sit there and watch unable to do actions xD

It's fun trying to imagine how some of the people you can find have managed to survive so far.

Also, I think that trophy for x amount of hours playing as a character counts the time you spend as Adol in the village, because I'm constantly playing as other characters and still haven't got the one for them.

Thud

I like playing with the 4th character.

Just beat that boss in the dark cave,
Falcom continues to make terryfing abyss worms.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I like playing with the 4th character.

Just beat that boss in the dark cave,
Falcom continues to make terryfing abyss worms.

Hahaha when I finally got around to killing the 4 babies I was like yes I did it!
Then the big one came out and I was just like WELL FUCKING OF COURSE THERE IS A BIG ONE

I'm enjoying this a lot, playing on Vita. Had my third interception now, continue to explore the maps and really try to avoid teleporting everywhere inbetween since listening to the OST while running through an area is ... relaxing, I guess. Fight system is the best modern Ys has been yet – and I already liked it very much in Seven and Celceta. Though I really need to get the PS4 version down the line, I've played the demo and the PS Vita version, while impressive and absolutely playable, just doesn't feel as smooth.. and I can see myself replaying this.

About the translation... it's absolutely not XSeed level of care, charme and consistency. It's really dry and especially since Ys VIII now tries to be more like the Trails series in regards to dialogue and characters – It's sad, this is one of the best modern Ys games and yet it misses this special sort of atmosphere which XSeed was able to give those other entries in the series. It's not superbad-bad (I've ... read worse.) but I definitely see this as a blemish on this otherwise smoothly shining armor.

Nevertheless, anyone on the edge of getting this game: If you like Action-JRPGs, Ys VIII has such a refreshingly honest straight-forward gameplay and there really isn't much like this on the market currently. It's really fun, and almost feels like a lost-in-time PS2 classic in many regards...

Mr.Jeff

346 attempts later, I'm finally able to progress to the next stage. When I finally play the English version I don't think I'll be doing no items again.

Top Bottom