• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana |OT| Two Systems, Two Heroes, One BIG HOLE

lionpants

346 attempts later, I'm finally able to progress to the next stage. When I finally play the English version I don't think I'll be doing no items again.
Ya, can't imagine that.
Spider
boss on Nightmare took me almost an hour of attempts last night.

Mr.Jeff

Ya, can't imagine that.
Spider
boss on Nightmare took me almost an hour of attempts last night.
That was my third most died to boss hah! Only 281 attempts. It's a long fight which doesn't help. I posted some tips I used some pages back. I also recorded it cause why not

Edit: The video's in a playlist with all the other bosses so beware of spoilers.

lionpants

I've been trying that one. Even 30 antidotes don't help me lol.
When I finally killed it, my whole party was dead except Adol. Adol had 1 HP left.

It's pretty brutal. Snake Amulets helped a bit. Mostly just Antidote spam during Phase 2 though and clenching my ass hoping for the best.

I found
Hummel
most effective in this boss, specifically
his
fury shot ability (the one that shoots like 5-6 consecutive shots). Flash guard with
Hummel
, then use that ability 3 times or so for guaranteed crits. Use his burst shot when the baby
spiders
come out to one shot them both. Use your super in phase 2 obviously.

lionpants

That was my third most died to boss hah! Only 281 attempts. It's a long fight which doesn't help. I posted some tips I used some pages back. I also recorded it cause why not

Edit: The video's in a playlist with all the other bosses so beware of spoilers.
How did you not get poisoned? I thought it was just an aura in phase 2 and unavoidable.

Also.. is playing with one character nets you more EXP? Had no clue.

EDIT: Wow, I was like lvl 21 when I did that boss, no wonder I had such a hard time lol

Mr.Jeff

It's kinda hilarious how much the red cape/1 level/party dmg shortens the fight *like 3mins*

Damage output is insane
Well in my defense, I could only understand some of the accessory descriptions. My go to accessories are always Flash Move time increase and reduced SP cost. Your version is ridiculously quick.

How did you not get poisoned? I thought it was just an aura in phase 2 and unavoidable.

Also.. is playing with one character nets you more EXP? Had no clue.
Staying too close to the rear of it gets you poisoned always. Hovering nearly, but not directly, at the front isn't so bad. Get's you flash dodge opportunities.

The part I always died to was
It's charge. I could never get the timing right for a dodge so came up with the idea of rolling under its legs when I recognised it's little stomp

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Well in my defense, I could only understand some of the accessory descriptions. My go to accessories are always Flash Move time increase and reduced SP cost. Your version is ridiculously quick.

:(

Yeah I realized most hits leave you at critical so I started using it it's feels like a 75% dmg boost, basically makes no healing easier as you basically fight in a last stand mode kinda

Thud

When I finally killed it, my whole party was dead except Adol. Adol had 1 HP left.

It's pretty brutal. Snake Amulets helped a bit. Mostly just Antidote spam during Phase 2 though and clenching my ass hoping for the best.

I found
Hummel
most effective in this boss, specifically
his
fury shot ability (the one that shoots like 5-6 consecutive shots). Flash guard with
Hummel
, then use that ability 3 times or so for guaranteed crits. Use his burst shot when the baby
spiders
come out to one shot them both. Use your super in phase 2 obviously.

I did that and a bit of a grind. Got it in one attempt after that.

Bloodstarved Beast was easier!

Alucrid

Banned
Is there a trophy for getting S ranking in every interception? Or only for getting S once?

only one but you need to get S or A on other ones for items for trophies

also anyone know how to unlock the second journal entry for
Shoebill
? i'm done with most everything in the game and it's still not there. hope it's not a glitch and i just missed something somewhere.

Eusis

I wouldn't go that far but the localisation complaints are way overblown. It's a pretty bog-standard localisation, it's not great but it's far from being terrible.

At least, we don't have painful puns about Dragon Quest in this one (I'm looking at you Ys Seven).
How could one resist when "Dragon Warrior" was the original American name for DQ? It's one of those things that would be too tempting to some of us to not at least try to slip a subtle one in there somewhere.

Or avoid it and give a different title to Adol in that one, but that's the lame solution.

Zephyx

I need another Slash-type character in the game. I'm currently in Ch. 3 and just got the 5th character which uses Strike type. When do I get the next one?

Zephyx

*facepalm* Didn't even realize that she'll be part of the party as I thought she'll only be playable in her segments.

I'm only 16 hours in playing on Hard. I'm not really playing efficiently as I always use up my potions during boss fights. I'll try the hardest difficulty on my next playthrough.

Bladenic

Okay where the hell are the DLC costumes? Don't see them. Finally got Adol's outfit change but don't see the DLC outfits under DLC even though I have both installed.

Basically, Ys 8 is the best game in the series. Given a proper re-localization, it would be a masterpiece or damn near.

The localization is why it isn't a 9/10 in my book.

Finished the game, what a great ride.

I'll wait for the PC version and the edited script so i can enjoy it again. Easily became my favorite Ys game.

Zephyx

Basically, Ys 8 is the best game in the series. Given a proper re-localization, it would be a masterpiece or damn near.

The localization is why it isn't a 9/10 in my book.

I still don't understand why they opted for this dry localization. The game is full of life but most of the time, the localization is a bit stiff and very literal making a scene worse than it really is. It just doesn't match the ambience. I wonder if it's the style Falcom opted to use for the original script since there's no reason to do it this way if the original doesn't do it as well.

Regardless, it's been serviceable to me and I still enjoy the game a lot. I just wish they'd explain how it ended up this way.

preta

I still don't understand why they opted for this dry localization. The game is full of life but most of the time, the localization is a bit stiff and very literal making a scene worse than it really is. It just doesn't match the ambience. I wonder if it's the style Falcom opted to use for the original script since there's no reason to do it this way if the original doesn't do it as well.

Regardless, it's been serviceable to me and I still enjoy the game a lot. I just wish they'd explain how it ended up this way.

It's different because it was handled by NISA, as opposed to XSEED who did the previous seven games. I assure you that the JP script is most certainly not like this.

Zephyx

It's different because it was handled by NISA, as opposed to XSEED who did the previous seven games. I assure you that the JP script is most certainly not like this.

That's just sad. It's like the localization team translated most of the script with a translation software instead of knowing the original language first hand. I guess I'm just used to (most of the time) quality localization by XSEED since they seem to care more about the product and the fanbase they're targeting. Anyhow, I'm used to it already and I think I'm about halfway through the story (Chapter 3 atm) so I just hope it's not as bad as it started.

MechaX

I have to give this game one big credit; I just got Breath of the Wild, and tried playing 30 minutes of that, and was like "... I am not in the right mindset for this; where's my dueling Falcolm guitars while exploring?! How come Link is a scrub at first and not Adol fucking Christin?! I'm going to play and finish Ys 8 first and then come back to this."

As a slight spoilery aside:
while I am happy that Dogi is heavily involved in a lot of this shit, let him bust some heads with Adol, man!

MechaX

That's because the only link that isn't a scrub compared to Adol Fucking Christin is Hyrule warriors link :D

Someone needs to make a "What I expected/What I motherfucking Got" img for this one, because I am having just as much of an unexpected blast with this game as I did with Oath and Origins (I own Celceta and Seven, never got into them that much).

kubricks

Nothing much to add, just want to say I am so happy that people here seems to be liking the game. Back when the game launchs in Japan I absolutely loved it but no one care lol.

Now that I am playing Ys Origin after Ys 8 which is the revsere order to how most people experience these games, I found myself prefering Ys 8 so much more due to the sense of exploration. Yes Ys origin control is tight but I hate the feel of confinement; I am literally just stuck in the Tower with lots of puzzles. And if that's the appeal I am not sure I will ever like this game like others did.

I have to give this game one big credit; I just got Breath of the Wild, and tried playing 30 minutes of that, and was like "... I am not in the right mindset for this; where's my dueling Falcolm guitars while exploring?! How come Link is a scrub at first and not Adol fucking Christin?! I'm going to play and finish Ys 8 first and then come back to this."

As a slight spoilery aside:
while I am happy that Dogi is heavily involved in a lot of this shit, let him bust some heads with Adol, man!

Oh man, the exploring tracks really are hype.

Really, everything about this game but script/translation is. Just got character 5 and haven't enjoyed a classic action jRPG this much in a long time. And is there even a better action game mechanic than witch time? Was fighting some giant monkey dudes and got 4 or 5 flash dodges in a row and just shredded them. Felt real good.

Zephyx

Oh man, the exploring tracks really are hype.

Really, everything about this game but script/translation is. Just got character 5 and haven't enjoyed a classic action jRPG this much in a long time. And is there even a better action game mechanic than witch time? Was fighting some giant monkey dudes and got 4 or 5 flash dodges in a row and just shredded them. Felt real good.

FML, I can't flash move those monkeys. I just used Flash Guard instead since their swipes are easier to time. I can't really get the window for the Flash Move sometimes. I think I have to press dodge around a 7-10 frame window during the attack but I keep getting hit instead.

FML, I can't flash move those monkeys. I just used Flash Guard instead since their swipes are easier to time. I can't really get the window for the Flash Move sometimes. I think I have to press dodge around a 7-10 frame window during the attack but I keep getting hit instead.

I can't do it reliably, but I was really in the zone. Timing is important, but I've found position/proximity to attack to be the trickier piece, especially with bigger enemies.

The ones I have the most trouble with are those big scorpions.

kubricks

I can't do it reliably, but I was really in the zone. Timing is important, but I've found position/proximity to attack to be the trickier piece, especially with bigger enemies.

The ones I have the most trouble with are those big scorpions.

Try guard then dodge immeidately, this will raise you chance of evading any damage even if you miss timed it. Not that it's a problem at end game where you are use to the control and timing anyway. (Just map the "extra" with another button combination.)

Top Bottom