• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana |OT| Two Systems, Two Heroes, One BIG HOLE

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Have fun with that lol. I'm playing on Inferno (and still using potions/food), and my god, I was chugging like a MFer.

I finished the first one but I need to go back and snag a few chest I missed I actually avoided fighting in the place as much as possible

lionpants

How do I open the last pod on the
tree
boss?

Also, I'm like 6 levels behind this boss. What's a good way to level up?

TheFatMan

This is my first Ys game and god damn this is harder than I'm used to in a JRPG haha.

Might have to turn it down to Normal just so I don't spend countless hours grinding.

Zephyx

This is my first Ys game and god damn this is harder than I'm used to in a JRPG haha.

Might have to turn it down to Normal just so I don't spend countless hours grinding.

I actually think Hard would be the best setting for newcomers in the game. You don't need to grind on that difficulty since the money and experience are sufficient to be evenly matched with the enemies as long you are fighting every now and then. It's also the best difficulty imo to learn the mechanics since enemies will have enough HP and damage that button mashing won't solve. I think Normal would be too easy for this game if you have experience playing action games.

Granjinha

Now that i had the time to let the hype ~die a little bit after finishing it, i don't think i changed my mind at all

one of the best games this year, simply amazing.

eXistor

Are there any in-game outfits besides the palette swap ones?

Not sure if it's the same for everyone, but there's a few free costumes in the PSN store, including a more traditional looking one for Adol. The ones I've found in-game were just pallette-swaps yeah.

There's some additional outfits available to buy for the ps vita version, but they apparently never ported them to ps4 version in japan. That leaves the ps4 version only with the color palettes and the free dlc + laxia outfit.

Mr.Jeff

Now that I am playing Ys Origin after Ys 8 which is the revsere order to how most people experience these games, I found myself prefering Ys 8 so much more due to the sense of exploration. Yes Ys origin control is tight but I hate the feel of confinement; I am literally just stuck in the Tower with lots of puzzles. And if that's the appeal I am not sure I will ever like this game like others did.
Combat aside, the exploration isn't vastly different. Ys8 gives the illusion of freedom but ultimately they're still strictly prescribed paths and walkways.
It helps that you're shown exploring the whole island but it's not, say, breath of the wild "go anywhere" freedom.

Ys origin just combines the overworked and dungeon elements.

If anything, 8 is more an expansion on OiF and 6's overworks/dungeon format.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
It's kinda funny how much easier the two bosses after the
spider
boss were lol

Though I barely beat the one right after cause I made some mistakes waiting to be able to hit it's final thingy

That
spider
boss is probably pretty high up there on some of the best Ys boss fights tbh

I'm actually really looking forward to my second play through and doing a no damage clear on it

Combat aside, the exploration isn't vastly different. Ys8 gives the illusion of freedom but ultimately they're still strictly prescribed paths and walkways.
It helps that you're shown exploring the whole island but it's not, say, breath of the wild "go anywhere" freedom.

Ys origin just combines the overworked and dungeon elements.

If anything, 8 is more an expansion on OiF and 6's overworks/dungeon format.

Good post. I think this is more obvious when you're in the North of the Island when things start to feel more like individual areas that you linearly progress through, rather than a series of interconnected areas.

The comparisons to open world games are silly. This is its own thing separate from open world 3D games.

I find the strong point to the level design is how distinctive each area can be compared with the last (I've never had to rely on the minimap when in other games with area-based progression I do since the design can be so identikit and poor), and the clever use of major and minor landmarks and area layouts.

This makes everything feel like it's happening within the same, interconnected game world, which is something the two 3D N64 Zelda games did very well, but later 3D games (before the series went open world with BotW and its unique take on traversal) did not do very well.

Intel_89

How do I open the last pod on the
tree
boss?

Also, I'm like 6 levels behind this boss. What's a good way to level up?

As far as I'm aware they open and close at random, I beat that boss last night on Normal and I couldn't really see a clear pattern to it.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
spider
boss were lol

Though I barely beat the one right after cause I made some mistakes waiting to be able to hit it's final thingy

That
spider

I'm actually really looking forward to my second play through and doing a no damage clear on it
Why do you guys do this to yourselves

Bladenic

Gonna ask again, when/how did you all access the Adol DLC costumes? Because I have them installed and neither are showing up in-game and I'm past the costume change point.

Zephyx

Gonna ask again, when/how did you all access the Adol DLC costumes? Because I have them installed and neither are showing up in-game and I'm past the costume change point.

What I did was:
1) Download them via PSN.
2) Use the pack as an item in the item screen under DLC tab.
3) Equip the costume when you can do so.

Everyone should play the game the way it's more fun to them. I'm playing on nightmare but i'm the type to use item in a pinch if needed.

RiouV

I finished this game yesterday and am surprised by how much I liked it. I've been kinda down on the series since they changed Ys to a party based action RPG but this game has revitalized my enthusiasm for the series. The Dana sections are definitely the highlight of the game for me. Such a great character.

Mr.Jeff

Why do you guys do this to yourselves
I don't know, once you try your first Ys game on Nightmare/Inferno and finally manage to defeat a boss like Chester in Oath in Felghana, you get addicted to that delicious rush. Even if you do spend hours and hours on it.

Beat chapter 3. I have to say, I disliked this chapter boss.
These staged boss fights when you have to wait between patterns to actually being able to land a hit are some of the more borings fights for me in arpg.

On the other hand (early chapter 4 sidequest spoilers)
I really liked the 1 vs 1 between ricotto and her master. I stand corrected, I've been playing as her the past three hours or so and I find her to be a really fun character to play as.

Jolkien

Chapter 2
Just stumbled upon the Waterfall Cave I guess I'll come back a bit later, enemies in there are lvl 24 and I'm 15. Got a new castaway at least ;)

Thud

Chapter 2
Just stumbled upon the Waterfall Cave I guess I'll come back a bit later, enemies in there are lvl 24 and I'm 15. Got a new castaway at least ;)

You should go to that area nearvwhere you found the castaway.
Lvl 56 raptors

I beat one after it wiped out 3/4 of my party (lvl 23). Good way to get new skills at least :p.

I gotta say I love the monster designs in this game. There was some kind of animal crossing going on here lol.

^That's some hard effort. I ran for my life the moment I got there.

I never looked up for it, but what exactly triggers the chance to learn new abilities in party Ys games? It is leveling up and progressing through the story simply, or is something else?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Hard is the sweet spot for me. Not brain dead easy like Celceta was, but not crushing like Felghana or VI. I sure do end up chugging potions and fruit like a madman, though.

Edit: I don't get the title change. I'm sure it's funny, but someone please explain it for my oblivious self

Alucrid

Banned
i will say that i appreciate the inclusion of a soundtrack, art pamphlet and reversible cover without the day one branding

Hard is the sweet spot for me. Not brain dead easy like Celceta was, but not crushing like Felghana or VI. I sure do end up chugging potions and fruit like a madman, though.

Edit: I don't get the title change. I'm sure it's funny, but someone please explain it for my oblivious self

there's a location in the game whose name includes the words "big hole", which is funny in itself for the euphemisms it provides, but also because before localization it had a name that made sense as well and didn't include "big hole"

Ascheroth

The first one.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The first one.
lmao, wtf

I was saying the localization wasn't that bad a few pages back, but I admit this particular example is... well, bad
hilarious

Mr.Jeff

^That's some hard effort. I ran for my life the moment I got there.

I never looked up for it, but what exactly triggers the chance to learn new abilities in party Ys games? It is leveling up and progressing through the story simply, or is something else?
They seem to trigger from fighting higher level monsters. I think it's designed so that as you naturally encounter tougher enemies, they suddenly popup as you use other skills.

However, as the person said previously, if you take on some of the dangerous monsters early, you can pick up some skills earlier. If you can survive the encounter....

Jolkien

You should go to that area nearvwhere you found the castaway.
Lvl 56 raptors

I beat one after it wiped out 3/4 of my party (lvl 23). Good way to get new skills at least :p.

I gotta say I love the monster designs in this game. There was some kind of animal crossing going on here lol.

Yeah I saw it, I nope'd so fast out of there. So did I miss a dungeon or I have to grind until I'm at the level for that dungeon ? Can't wait to get back to exploring more of the Island tomorrow.

Thud

Yeah I saw it, I nope'd so fast out of there. So did I miss a dungeon or I have to grind until I'm at the level for that dungeon ? Can't wait to get back to exploring more of the Island tomorrow.

I don't think you're supposed to be there yet. There were quite a few mobs. Still picking one is good practise for flash moves. The animations are quite obvious, so it's not that hard to not get hit. Still when you do get hit it's an one hit KO. Less scary than a night exploration. That's where I kinda noped :p.

Also found an underwater cave. That theme is probably my favorite in Ys VIII thus far.

Slathe

I've only played celceta, but am thinking of picking this up. I liked celceta but it was a bit bland and forgettable. Any cinsensus on how this stacks up?

Quonny

I've only played celceta, but am thinking of picking this up. I liked celceta but it was a bit bland and forgettable. Any cinsensus on how this stacks up?

I'm enjoying this way more than Celceta. Thought Celceta was thoroughly mediocre.

Thud

spider
boss were lol

That
spider

You're right. I got both in two tries. Love the design of the
hippo one

Re the English translation: I've been happy with most of it, but there's a few names that stick out. Namely
variant beast
and
<Ancient Species>
. Anyone know if those are properly translated or not? If not, what should they be translated as?

Intel_89

The gameplay of Ys 8 is a bit slower and the plot so far seems better despite the lackluster translation, I think I like the characters in Celceta better but it's still too early for me to affirm this.

preta

Re the English translation: I've been happy with most of it, but there's a few names that stick out. Namely
variant beast
and
<Ancient Species>
. Anyone know if those are properly translated or not? If not, what should they be translated as?

Variant Beast should be something like "Bizarre" or "Strange" or "Exotic" Beast. Ancient Species is accurate, but extremely literal - in fact, it's the Google Translate result for the Japanese term (&#21476;&#20195;&#31278;).

Top Bottom