• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana |OT| Two Systems, Two Heroes, One BIG HOLE

ghibli99

The entire series is worth the ride :) My favorite game franchise :D
Thanks! I'm hoping I come away from these games the same way I did with Dragon Quest... I was a FF diehard most my life, but DQ became my all-time favorite JRPG series once I played through several of them. :)

Variant Beast should be something like "Bizarre" or "Strange" or "Exotic" Beast. Ancient Species is accurate, but extremely literal - in fact, it's the Google Translate result for the Japanese term (古代種).

Thank you.

Dunno why VB rankles with me but it really does. Probably spotted another poor translation a short while ago:
Odd Rock
. Ah well, at least NISA couldn't mess the gameplay up.

I'm enjoying this way more than Celceta. Thought Celceta was thoroughly mediocre.
Eh, Celceta is only mediocre if you are comparing it to other Ys games, it's far above average compared to most action RPGs. VIII IS definitely a huge improvement though, performance, visuals, design, basically all areas.

If this or Celceta are the only Ys game you've experienced then do yourself a favour and buy Ys Origins. (Available on PC, PS4 and Vita.) The melee gameplay especially is *so* *satisfying*. (Not saying those are poor in this and Celceta, just that Origins is a very good game.)

Ascheroth

Ys Origin has a demo on Steam. But really, you should just buy it.

And they're also on sale on Humble at the moment for 3-5$ or something.

Thud

Variant Beast should be something like "Bizarre" or "Strange" or "Exotic" Beast. Ancient Species is accurate, but extremely literal - in fact, it's the Google Translate result for the Japanese term (古代種).

I would have gone with
Primordial Beasts

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Why do you guys do this to yourselves

If you ever played an mmo it's a very similar feeling to getting a raid boss down :)

If not then the only thing I could really compare it to is soloing the harder Souls game bosses but a tiny bit harder overall.

Besides Oath and Origin didn't have healing items so I just adapted a survival style and expect some back tracking to heal at a crystal then move forward a bit. Gives me the feeling of learning the lay of the land and understanding each zone lay out by heart
I would have gone with
Primordial Beasts
Same, weird choice
and variant doesnt really even make sense if they are supposed to be ancient beast. They are not a variant they are the origins

eXistor

I've only played celceta, but am thinking of picking this up. I liked celceta but it was a bit bland and forgettable. Any cinsensus on how this stacks up?
Celceta is my personal low-point of the games I've played. I absolutely hated the characters and story (skipped all of it after a few hours of suffering through it). That said, the actual gameplay was great as it normally is, it was just bogged down by too many things to really make a mark.

Ys VIII blows it out of the water. It's still got some things I'd rather not have (increased focus on story, which still sucks as of now, part-based gameplay) but the overall flow and world-design seem much better, though admittedly I don't remember much of Celceta.

I just can't stop playing Ys VIII, it's just very addictive, whereas I couldn't wait for Celceta to be over, it felt like a slog.

Thud, you're awesome. I'm unlocking skills one after another.

There's also a camp you can unlock nearby, so it's really easy to retreat.

Edit: If anyone needs more details, you need
people to unlock said camp.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I don't know, once you try your first Ys game on Nightmare/Inferno and finally manage to defeat a boss like Chester in Oath in Felghana, you get addicted to that delicious rush. Even if you do spend hours and hours on it.

I mean, doing Nightmare or Inferno is cool and all, but no damage runs? Ain't nobody got time for that hahaha

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I mean, doing Nightmare or Inferno is cool and all, but no damage runs? Ain't nobody got time for that hahaha

I'm already doing a no recovery items run for my first run blind, that's just a step up

Once you have an idea of how to power level to tie or jump past a boss a level or two, and can parry the crap out of everything bosses MELT

jchung55

Has anyone heard anything about the PC port yet? I'm just sitting here twiddling my thumbs waiting for any news

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I envy your dedication!

It's not too bad, if you saw the video of the middle of chapter 2 boss *the hard one* he goes down in under 2 minutes :)

It's really thrilling, and I recommend everyone give it a shot at some point after they play through the way they enjoy things first :) *no recovery items not no damage LOL*

Kalor

Has anyone heard anything about the PC port yet? I'm just sitting here twiddling my thumbs waiting for any news

Nothing yet. NISA have just said that they're working on it and to wait for news. They haven't even updated the beta branch recently so they're probably just focused on it.

Loudninja

It's not too bad, if you saw the video of the middle of chapter 2 boss *the hard one* he goes down in under 2 minutes :)

It's really thrilling, and I recommend everyone give it a shot at some point after they play through the way they enjoy things first :) *no recovery items not no damage LOL*
Dude you are awesome I am goign though healing items like crazy even on normal!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Dude you are awesome I am goign though healing items like crazy even on normal!

I mean to be fair it's not like I'm magically super good and clear most stuff right away I die A LOT tho a lot of it is stuff like me getting clipped early and just wanting to restart the fight xD

The problem I'm having right now is that Adol's damage output is so over the top compared to other characters outside of specific things that when it comes down to using them it feels a bit rougher THOUGH that is because he has my best accesories and got them tasty stat drinks

I'd imagine laxia's damage output would be insane as well if I gave her the same treatment as she already does a ton with a really low damage stat

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Adol's force edge has to be one of the best skills in the game, if not the best (at least so far for me)
It's way too strong for how early you get it imo makes him an unstoppable killing machine, the range is absurd, between that and the projectile Adol basically becomes a ranged character.

Mr.Jeff

No damage I just could not do. My skills and ridiculous perseverance means I can just barely cope with harder difficulties but no damage would take me years.

On the subject of skills and damage output, one of my gripes from the party system is that you get a large amount of skills but realistically, so few of them have usability. The wind up time means they're too slow for regular combat and then even with regular flash move time, some of them can still keep going.

It's way too strong for how early you get it imo makes him an unstoppable killing machine, the range is absurd, between that and the projectile Adol basically becomes a ranged character.

Indeed it is, if you add that to and equipped athlete ring for a cheap 14sp to use the skill+ tiger claw for more guard time you can easily punish enemies in no time and deal insane amounts of damage.

Speaking of skills, I think I had enough for now, I've learnt 13 new skills between all characters. What makes that spot so fun and interesting is that it actually gives you little exp, specially for so high-leveled monsters. It makes for an easy place to farm new skills without risking breaking the game. I've only got 1 level more between all characters, and there's still a huge difference between my party level and that of those monsters.

Interesting facts for my playthrough: I checked and I have 605 flash guards activated for a little more than 200 flash moves. If I were to say why, I found flash guard more easy to get.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yeah flash guarding is easier has a bigger window and doesn't throw off the rythm of boss attacks. The thing is that flash dodge has the bonus of almost always letting you flash guard the same attack.

Are those types of stats in the journal?

^Yes, you can chek those stats in the "help" tab of the journal (inside of records>battle). And I agree, flash move can get you in a position when you can also get flash guards and then it becomes a damage output fest. However, I tend to rely on flash guard because of the reasons you cite.

Nyoro SF

Yep, that's the skill I was talking about in chat a few days ago. It is god tier. You can snipe the larger enemies right in the head with it for monstrous damage.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Interesting facts for my playthrough: I checked and I have 605 flash guards activated for a little more than 200 flash moves. If I were to say why, I found flash guard more easy to get.

I'm the exact opposite. I was dodging my way through the entire game, and only managed to get the 100 flash guards trophy literally in the last dungeon.

Thud

2392 enemies defeated, 325 skill finishes, 889 breaks, 160 flash moves, 43 flash guards and 26 extra skills :p.

Apparently you can't kill
Ancient species
yet. They just get up again.

Wagram

I'm surprised how many people are doing Inferno, no healing item runs. You can tell who played the older Ys games.

preta

I would have gone with
Primordial Beasts

The fan edit project is likely going to go with
Exotic Beast
. Yours isn't unfitting for the beast in question, but it just doesn't have the same meaning as the JP title at all.

I'm surprised how many people are doing Inferno, no healing item runs. You can tell who played the older Ys games.

I don't have the will to do it. I didn't even 100% the game and I am satisfied. I don't generally replay Ys games for a few months at least, but it'll be on Inferno.

I actually missed some events with one of the castaways, so I'll have to remember that.

I can see myself trying inferno without items in the future with how much I'm enjoying this game at the moment. I don't think I have the skills for no damage though, but I would surely want to see that, has to be a great watch.

Thud

About 20 hours in, exploring
Gendarme
. I think I'm close to a boss, saving it for tomorrow. Those scorpions upped my flash guards.

The fan edit project is likely going to go with
Exotic Beast
. Yours isn't unfitting for the beast in question, but it just doesn't have the same meaning as the JP title at all.

I mean I could also call it a pain in the butt and it would still fit :p.

Quonny

I think...I think this is my GOTY.

I can't remember the last time I just had so much fun with a game. It's just pure joy. The music, the combat, the interwoven systems...I can't stop playing.

Did not expect this after Celceta.

Mr.Jeff

Lol, the same thing happened with me. Not quite that fast.
It's not a glitch. If you hold down R1 during a cutscene or such like, it fast forwards what's happening. Chances are you'll encounter it during a particular boss fight.

Zephyx

Arc Slash is also pretty good for its cheap SP cost.

I abuse it a lot on small group of mobs especially those weak to Slash. The AoE is too good this early. I was thinking about not relying on it that much so frequently since its broken but killing most of the smaller enemies in one or two hits is so satisfying.

george_us

As much as I'm enjoying the game, and I'm enjoying it a ton, I think I'd like the game more if it was just Adol and Dana with you switching between time periods. None of the party members feel like they're absolutely essential to the story and none of them are as fun to play as Adol and Dana. If Adol got a
weapon switching
mechanic like Dana instead of character switching, the game would be goddamn great. Instead it's just regular great.

sandpiper

As much as I'm enjoying the game, and I'm enjoying it a ton, I think I'd like the game more if it was just Adol and Dana with you switching between time periods. None of the party members feel like they're absolutely essential to the story and none of them are as fun to play as Adol and Dana. If Adol got a
weapon switching
mechanic like Dana instead of character switching, the game would be goddamn great. Instead it's just regular great.

Lucky you! This game has an NG+ mechanic where you can just play as solo Adol switching weapon types!

Top Bottom