• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist |OT|Yes, I did summon a bunch of monsters in one turn

Why is this even a Friday release? Why did they only just know the release date less than a week ago? Why did they say it would release in two weeks three weeks ago?

Is it still not up? Sheesh.

I really hate how Sony handles PS Store updates so goddamn much. It's even worse because they refuse to give any updates until things actually launch. Like, if you can't have a set time for all updates, at least fucking update us the day of when you're going toward the later end of the usual update schedule. It's also super annoying that they base there update times on West coast time. I get that's where they're located, but it's really annoying that they don't base it off East Coast like any reasonable online store would. As is their update times are barely acceptable for west coast, and East coast is 3 hours ahead. It's even really annoying for guys like me who are in Central time

Why is this even a Friday release? Why did they only just know the release date less than a week ago? Why did they say it would release in two weeks three weeks ago?

Apparently it's because it's the platform holders (Sony and MS) who decide exactly when stuff like this launches or something

I really hate how Sony handles PS Store updates so goddamn much. It's even worse because they refuse to give any updates until things actually launch. Like, if you can't have a set time for all updates, at least fucking update us the day of when you're going toward the later end of the usual update schedule. It's also super annoying that they base there update times on West coast time. I get that's where they're located, but it's really annoying that they don't base it off East Coast like any reasonable online store would. As is their update times are barely acceptable for west coast, and East coast is 3 hours ahead. It's even really annoying for guys like me who are in Central time
I completely agree with everything you've said. It really shows a lack of competence on their end, especially since they're now charging for PS+! This is basic stuff that should be relatively easy to fix.

Some Nobody

Sounds great to me. I don't know anything about those decks, but if they are anything like Dark World, Chaos Dragons, and Inzektors were a few years ago, I want nothing to do with them. Lol.

They're even more powerful, as the list barely touched them until recently. And we don't know what list this game is using.

Inzektor, Chaos Dragon and Dark World were all hit by the list fairly and are now much more fun to play against

What? Inzektor's dead as a doornail, and will remain so until they boost either Dragonfly or Hornet. Or give them new cards, which is what they should do.

And, what's with all this ban this, ban that stuff? The best decks aren't invincible--there's ways to play around them, and plenty of hard counters.

Fj0823

What? Inzektor's dead as a doornail, and will remain so until they boost either Dragonfly or Hornet. Or give them new cards, which is what they should do.

And, what's with all this ban this, ban that stuff? The best decks aren't invincible--there's ways to play around them, and plenty of hard counters.

No one's asking to ban everything good, just regulate the stupid stuff, like Djinn for Nekroz.

Also this tournament is for new and returning players too, so us familiar with the game using super complex meta decks is very unfair.

Inzektor could easily have 2 Dragonfly though, 1 was a bit overkill. I can agree to that

People who've been consistently keeping up with Yugioh can definitely counter the super popular meta decks, you are correct. But people who're just getting back into Yugioh are going to have a much harder time trying to understand the intricacies of those powerful decks and the cards which counter them.

Banning those top tier decks from this first GAF tournament is a good idea.

So is this going to be another MGS HD Vita situation where it's not going to come out till like 5AM tomorrow?

Bravo to remembering this, that was brutal

He means there's not much you can do with the franchise, creating 5000 creatures in full HD coming out of the cards might be too much for $20

Wasn't asking for that. I just think the UI and almost every stylistic choice about this game looks off. Looks like a PS2 game. Maybe it's just the screens, but I'm not feeling it

Stuart444

So this game is now reminding me of the old trope, "The Computer is a Cheating Bastard".

Doing the first DLC duel in the Duelist Kingdom. Joey versus Bonz or whoever the guy is with the Zombies.

He always wins the rock/paper/scissors (well almost always, only won once against him). I never seem to have the cards I need (Joeys deck is craaaaaaaaap in this duel and I'm trying to do it the old fashion win it with the story deck way >.>) and he always seems to have the cards he needs usually winning quite quickly since I have no trap/spell cards that are useful and h ave only monsters that need tributes to summon without any lower level monsters.

:/

Oh well, just gotta keep trying.

Takao

Banned
Konami handles the Yu-Gi-Oh! video games in a very weird manner. None of the recent games even get trailers. They just randomly come out one day.

Anyway, here's the NA link: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...01-CUSA02718_00-YGOLEGACYOFDUELB?smcid=sen-tw

He means there's not much you can do with the franchise, creating 5000 creatures in full HD coming out of the cards might be too much for $20

The problem is that they're not creating 5000 creature models. Reportedly there's only ~30 in-game, and they all look like this:

1.jpg
2.jpg
2.jpg

The PSP games had the right idea of doing pre-rendered visuals for the signature cards.

Sandfox

Konami handles the Yu-Gi-Oh! video games in a very weird manner. None of the recent games even get trailers. They just randomly come out one day.

Anyway, here's the NA link: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...01-CUSA02718_00-YGOLEGACYOFDUELB?smcid=sen-tw

The problem is that they're not creating 5000 creature models. Reportedly there's only ~30 in-game, and they all look like this:

The PSP games had the right idea of doing pre-rendered visuals for the signature cards.

The real issue is that Konami doesn't want to spend too much money on Yugioh games for various reasons.

Fj0823

He never said he expected that.

I know, but for the actual card game you can't get much more then that, the field and cards. Sure some scenarios or animations of the characters might be nice, but I think that would mean cutting no the cardpool

Still,A full price YuGiOh game with the cards coming to life would be amazing, but that's very unlikely

Takao, the first two screens you posted are from this game, you can see the Pendulum zones! :p

dmcAxle

Neo Member
Gameplay of the draft mode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUqu6N1Cums

After the guy loses he has "4 duels remaining" as if he can pause and come back later. Do you always build your draft deck against AI choosers offline then play online? And therefore you're fighting opponents who aren't even in your draft "table"? Kinda ruins the whole point of draft. I know the YGO variant wouldn't have as much depth as MTG in the first place due to the base mechanics of the game, but jeez.

Though most players seem uninterested in this mode here, for me it's just I've been playing YGO competitively since 2005 and am basically burned out of it. This sounded interesting to me but it's too bad they skipped out on making it an authentic draft experience.

OmegaDL50

I know, but for the actual card game you can't get much more then that, the field and cards. Sure some scenarios or animations of the characters might be nice, but I think that would mean cutting no the cardpool

Still,A full price YuGiOh game with the cards coming to life would be amazing, but that's very unlikely

If that actually happened. It would probably be a $40 to $60 retail release, just based on the amount of effort put into it.

I mean even if there was 6691 cards, excluding traps and spells we can guestimate a good 4400 of those cards are monsters, the remaining 1291 being non-monsters.

That is a hell of a lot of work in terms of 3D models and animations. Hell I don't think any major AAA RPG or Action game has 4500 different monsters needed to modeled.

Even if we still factor identical models with simple recolors for similar cards is still an absolutely tremendous amount of work.

Also I don't see how you can make a layout of the gameboard differently. The UI is superficial at best. I don't see how you could change the core game appearance of a Yu-Gi-Oh game based on the official rules other then not make it based on the official rules.

Bought it online hopefully should be downloaded when I get back to my room. Got like 2 hours until then though. I also need to do a lot of packing today, since I'm going home from a research program tomorrow so I won't have much time to play D:

People who've been consistently keeping up with Yugioh can definitely counter the super popular meta decks, you are correct. But people who're just getting back into Yugioh are going to have a much harder time trying to understand the intricacies of those powerful decks and the cards which counter them.

Banning those top tier decks from this first GAF tournament is a good idea.

I'm just getting back into Yu-Gi-Oh and have no fucking clue what the mention decks are like but banning Decks left and right just because of "Reasons" seems too Smogon like to me. I rather struggle and learn than be protected or babied.

Just in case anyone is interested in knowing this, you still get duplicates even after you get 3 copies of a card. I just spent a bunch of points in the card shop until I got a card I knew I had 3 of.

Boogiepop

I was referring to sales in Japan since TFSP hasn't been localized, and if it were, it would be digital-only. As far as I know there wasn't a tonne to object to with World Duel Carnival's Japanese release, but according to Famitsu TFSP sold like 2x.

I'll drop it after this since it's not super on topic, but IIRC World Duel Carnival still had the huge, huge issue of no multiplayer whatsoever even in Japan. Obviously they butchered it even further in the US release, but the Japanese one was definitely not exactly even decent, from what I recall hearing. While I don't believe TFSP had those issues, though I'm less familiar with that game.

Anyway, it's bizarre to say this, but... I'm considering grabbing a PS4 now instead of holding off till Black Friday just because I really, really want to play this. It definitely seems competent enough, yeah?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Just in case anyone is interested in knowing this, you still get duplicates even after you get 3 copies of a card. I just spent a bunch of points in the card shop until I got a card I knew I had 3 of.

Can you do anything with the extras?

OmegaDL50

Can you do anything with the extras?

I would like to say any duplicates over three could be traded or sold for small amount of DP but since I haven't yet to play the game, I simply don't know.

It's nice to think something like that would be possible. Sorry if this didn't actually answer your question.

Sandfox

I'm just getting back into Yu-Gi-Oh and have no fucking clue what the mention decks are like but banning Decks left and right just because of "Reasons" seems too Smogon like to me. I rather struggle and learn than be protected or babied.

I'm conflicted on it because these decks will for sure dominate in an annoying way if people play them and its harder to counter top tier stuff in Yugioh than it is a game like Pokemon, which will make it harder for a lot of the players here to plat deck they enjoy. On the other hand Yugioh tournaments are round robin so its not as big of a deal as long as the player is still having fun.

I would like to say any duplicates over three could be traded or sold for small amount of DP but since I haven't yet to play the game, I simply don't know.

It's nice to think something like that would be possible. Sorry if this didn't actually answer your question.

I don't see a feature like this anywhere, it looks like the extra copies just disappear once you get them.

Otaku Coder

Neo Member
There were some people asking, so I tried it out and yep, Remote Play works.

Some of the text looks bloody tiny on Vita, but I imagine many games have that problem...

Sou Da

Jesus the first match I see in a stream and the guy is up against some kid where you can hear his entire home life through his mic.

Ok... Got this downloading now.

I've been away from Yu-Gi-Oh for awhile. I remember Dark Magician, Blue Eyes, Red Eyes, some random Fiend card and that's it.

Some advice please?

I'm looking to make one deck. I'm into Fiends and Machines.

Not into Fusion. Into Syncro, XYZ, and the Pendulum method.

Is there a paticular deck I can aim for? I'm asking to save myself sometime.

OmegaDL50

I wonder weren't Decade Duels and Millennium duels both $15 each at release?

Sure this game looks slightly better and has more cards and has a new card purchase shop. I don't think these additions warrant an extra $5 for New gen tax.

Oh well I'm not complaining because it's Yu-Gi-Oh.

I wonder what engine they are using, I do know that Decade Duels for example was loosely based on Tag Force 4 (borrowing music and assets directly more or less)

So I guess maybe the game is based on the PSP Arc-V? but mainly gutted for a digital release.

So what that said why not simply just release Arc-V digitally in English for Vita owners then? Wouldn't that accomplish the same thing?

Never the mind, I got more Yu-Gi-Oh to play now.

Wonder if Inzektor's are still on the decent.
Remember when they were new they were SUPER broken, but still fun to use after the ruling changes.

Fj0823

Its not "reasons", those decks have near infinite loops and chains of effects with extremely beneficial outcomes, the only way to beat then is with another meta deck that can gain advantage just as fast. For new players, it would just be watching the opponent play by himself.

Not only that, but they can lock the opponent and render then unable to do absolutely anything. Look up "Apoqliphort Towers" or the infamous Djinn lock.

Not saying other decks don't have similar abilities, but the lists and new cards have make them more manageable.

The idea of the tournament is to play with our favorite decks for fun and to help any returning player to catch up. Long endless turns finishing on an OTK, kinda defeats that purpose.

Were just banning the top 5 decks of this format, you can use a top tier deck that have been balanced a still bit more after the years, like Samurais

as for your question, No.

machine decks now rely on new mechanics.

The Cyber Dragons use Fusions and Xyz, while the Geargiar are more Xyz oriented.

Classic machines like Yugi's Gadgets now use Pendulum summon to make up for the banning of several trap cards.

Top Bottom