• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist |OT|Yes, I did summon a bunch of monsters in one turn

Grandpa Yugi's Stall / Exodia deck is pretty crazy, the one Yugi uses against Kaiba. Heart of the Underdog and Sangan with Swords of Revealing Light is a hell of a combination to get Exodia out quick.

Also Kaiba's deck is pretty interesting because in the Anime he draws three BEWDs in a single turn which is normally against the rules, However this is actually possible in this deck with Ancient Rules that lets you instantly special summon a Level 5 or higher card from your hand to the field.

Of course Yugi has Torrential Tribute or Raigeki to shut that shit down.

Oddly that just happened to me Kaiba with Ancient Rules + Blue Eyes White Dragon, my next turn I get Raigeki.

If I used Jaden's Deck I would lose.

-

Wait, I didnt know Heart of the Underdog can be chained together.

can i use Black Luster Soldier Envy the Beginning? that was my ace card back in the day, all my friends would get jelly and knew what time it was when i played that card back in middle school. ahh the memories.

Stider

I tried this in Dual Arena, mainly playing against the CPU but I reached a point where their decks were just too good.

What about the CPU from the earlier TV show seasons in this game, were they retroactively given cards with the new mechanics ?

Haven't seen any with the new mechanics so far, but Mai's deck has definitely been improved with newer harpies.

"Holy shit, a Yu-Gi-Oh game in 2015? That still exists? I might as well give the demo a shot to see if this thing I loved at age twelve was half as fun as I thought it was."

*Downloads demo*

*Wins two battles and is given many rewards for victory*

*Sees there is a lot of content*

"..."

*Unlock Full Game*

Fj0823

can i use Black Luster Soldier Envy the Beginning? that was my ace card back in the day, all my friends would get jelly and knew what time it was when i played that card back in middle school. ahh the memories.

Black Luster got a lot of new powerful cards
even a Black Luster Super Soldier

but he's not in this game as he is new!

But can they attack twice or remove a card from play like envoy the beginning could? Envoy the Beginning is god like yo

No, but the 'baby' BLS can! XD
Knight of the Beginning said:
English
You can only use each effect of "Knight of the Beginning" once per turn. If this card in the Graveyard is banished: You can add 1 Ritual Spell Card from your Deck to your hand. A "Black Luster Soldier" monster Ritual Summoned using this card gains these effects.
● Once per turn: You can target 1 monster your opponent controls; banish it.
● When this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard: You can activate this effect; this card can make a second attack in a row.

It only has 500 atk.

Any guides available? deck building guides and such

The starting card pool seems quite strong. Not sure if it's random or not.

Basically, I looked for

-Multiple pieces of monster removal. 3x Fissure, Dark Hole, and Mirror Force fit the bill nicely.

-Multiple pieces of spell/trap removal. You should have some Breaker the Magical Warriors and Dust Tornados to use.

-Rush Recklessly is an incredible combat trick that can function as a piece of removal on either player's turn.

-If you see any spell/trap cards that look amazing, like Monster Reborn or Pot of Greed, you should probably use them (though keep in mind that not all cards are legal for multiplayer against humans).

-Cards that lose you advantage are probably bad news (example: a card that requires you to discard a card to destroy a monster. You're trading two cards for one of their, which isn't ideal. Something like Fissure is a 1-for-1 instead, and much better for you in most cases).

-Be wary of using more than three or four 5-6 star monsters - they suck ass when drawn at a bad time. Avoid 7+ star monsters at all costs unless you have a way to consistently cheat them into play with tributing.

-You probably don't want more than 20 monsters total. 18 has always been a solid number for me.

-Don't think too hard about your starting monster pool. Just have a good number of 1800+ ATK cards....

-...though you should be on the lookout for useful effect monsters such as Man-Eater Bug.

-Don't go over 40 cards in your deck.

Things get more complicated when employing more advanced strategies, but that should get you started with the beginning card pool.

One of my favorite features with the PSP Tag Force titles was the awesome Card Album.

Unfortunately there is no such option for Legacy of the Duelist. The best you can do is check the card details option and that get a somewhat closer look.

Unfortunately all of the cards artwork is covered up with this horrible watermark.

It's almost as if they expect people to hack into the game and steal the artwork from the cards, which is kind of stupid because one can simply go to the Yu-Gi-Oh wikia and get high res renders of the actual card artworks if they really wanted them. The watermark is entirely pointless and doesn't serve any purpose but to marr the artwork of the cards in the game.

Is there a demo or video that shows this? Im super casual about card games and basically play to look at artwork. I enjoy looking at certain fantasy themes more than the actual gameplay mechanics although I enjoy that on a certain level otherwise I wouldnt play. I bought one Yu Gi Oh game years ago and never went back just because I couldn't read the text on the card itself.

Luke_Wal

What's the latest set this game goes up to? And have they said if future packs will be added upon release, free or paid?

lcap

Is this one something like the old GBA games? It's one of the few games in my life I've surely put more than 100 hours onto.

Niosai

I don't know if this has been asked, but are all of the cards available in the game possible to get with the in-game currency?

Blurry15

Downloading the Demo now just to try it out. I noticed there was DLC already. Does anyone know how much content the DLC has? In other words is it a decent amount? I ask because it kinda seems like Konami decided to make parts of the Game DLC in order to sell the game at a cheaper price. So I guess my main question is, is this game worth $40 (i.e game and all current DLC)?

No, but the 'baby' BLS can! XD

It only has 500 atk.

nah that card is garbage then. the most godly card in yu gi oh, all hail envoy the beginning, i have no knowledge of the newer gimmicks after 5Ds but i bet you my boy will eat that shit and beat all of em still

1377694385-83214700.jpg

Sandfox

BLS is still a nice card.

I don't know if this has been asked, but are all of the cards available in the game possible to get with the in-game currency?

There is no other way to buy cards other than the ingame currency and they give you a lot per duel.

Downloading the Demo now just to try it out. I noticed there was DLC already. Does anyone know how much content the DLC has? In other words is it a decent amount? I ask because it kinda seems like Konami decided to make parts of the Game DLC in order to sell the game at a cheaper price. So I guess my main question is, is this game worth $40 (i.e game and all current DLC)?

I don't think the current DLC is all that important unless you really want those scenarios. The day one DLC doesn't contain cards.

Fj0823

nah that card is garbage then. the most godly card in yu gi oh, all hail envoy the beginning, i have no knowledge of the newer gimmicks after 5Ds but i bet you my boy will eat that shit and beat all of em still

1377694385-83214700.jpg

Well remember that the little knight gives its effects to the ritual monsters, and if you read the card it doesn't give of the limitations envoy has. He can banish a monster, then attack, destroy a monster and attack again

a regular envoy can only do one of those per turn

also the knight is light, and has a dark pair with the same effect, if you banish then both to summon your normal envoy, their second effects will activate and you get a free ritual monster and spell card too.

That's hardly what Id call garbage, remember, The game has evolved beyond just big monsters, little monsters can combine with otherwise useless cards like ritual Black Luster, creating amazing combos

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Well remember that the little knight gives its effects to the ritual monsters, and if you read the card it doesn't give of the limitations envoy has. He can banish a monster, then attack, destroy a monster and attack again

a regular envoy can only do one of those per turn

also the knight is light, and has a dark pair with the same effect, if you banish then both to summon your normal envoy, their second effects will activate and you get a free ritual monster and spell card too.

That's hardly what Id call garbage, remember, The game has evolved beyond just big monsters, little monsters can combine with otherwise useless cards like ritual Black Luster, creating amazing combos

This is a big part of why the game seems so foreign to me these days. I played it before GX was a thing, archtypes were a thing but they weren't a huge focus. Beatsticks with powerful effects were king. Seems like the game is all about archtypes and specific card combos now.

Korezo

Does the base game come with all the campaigns or are the DLC sold to unlock the other campaigns after the original? I don't get what the ot explanation means.

OmegaDL50

Does the base game come with all the campaigns or are the DLC sold to unlock the other campaigns after the original? I don't get what the ot explanation means.

There is four additional story add-ons for the game. Over and above what is already included in the base game.

The DLC out right now isn't card packs but more story stuff and campaign duels.

Hopefully they will eventually expand the card roster to the current July 16th banlist, but who knows.

Blurry15

The story decks have a severe lack of removal. I wouldn't recommend using them unless you really want a handicap.

I'm not that great at the Yugioh metagame so I find being able to use the decks of the characters from the anime (or at least some kind of rendition of it) to be pretty fun. I gotta say this game is looking like a real step up from Millennium Duels.

Korezo

Does this game have 3d animations of the cards like that pic of the Dark Magician attacking? The demo didn't have any.

Kyuur

Downloading now. I haven't touched Yugioh in years but I remember enjoying the GBA game and drafting is always fun. Drafting/sealed isn't behind any kind of paywall, right? In game currency only, even for online play?

Sandfox

Downloading now. I haven't touched Yugioh in years but I remember enjoying the GBA game and drafting is always fun. Drafting/sealed isn't behind any kind of paywall, right? In game currency only, even for online play?

There's no paywall.

Oh BLS memories, IOC. I remember back then I had a deck with 3 thunder dragon, it's fusion, great maju Garzet, ring of destruction and chaos sorcerer. So much fun.

Westlo

Hope I can make an Agents deck in this, since I haven't really cared about Yugioh since that period.

Hyperion, Kristya we back baby
banderas.png

Is there a way to skip the tutorial battles? They make me want to slit my wrists with how bad they teach you to play.

Edit: OH MY FUCKING GOD THIS CONSTANT ASKING OF YOU ACTIVATING AN EFFECT IS INFURIATING. I don't remember it being this annoying on GBA.

Sandfox

From now on I'm going to be making a list of the archetypes and notable pulls I notice from each pack as I buy and build.

Man, I love how fast you get cards in this game! Even when you lose a duel, you still get enough points to buy several packs of cards.

Now if only you could buy packs in bulk...

Stider

Just an FYI, the battle packs (sealed and draft) cost 2000 to enter and are a 5 match affair, losing 3 can finish it early. You keep the cards once done.

Fj0823

Just an FYI, the battle packs (sealed and draft) cost 2000 to enter and are a 5 match affair, losing 3 can finish it early. You keep the cards once done.

Are Xyz common in the draft/sealed games?

I haven't played them. But my crappy deck would really benefit from Utopia and Leviathan Dragon as I use several level 4's and level 3's

Phoenixus

Caved in and bought it. Works so well with offtv vita play! Is there a checklist of sorts for the booster packs? Kinda annoying not knowing what's left to get. :/

Fj0823

Caved in and bought it. Works so well with offtv vita play! Is there a checklist of sorts for the booster packs? Kinda annoying not knowing what's left to get. :/

We're kinda working on it :p
Check the previous pages, some gaffers posted their findings

Top Bottom