• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist |OT|Yes, I did summon a bunch of monsters in one turn

Skyo

Been playing the game for a couple hours now.
Campaign is pretty good with what feels like a significant length with reverse duels allowing you to play the opposition.
The deck making part is a bit confusing at first and bit tricky to navigate. Like how you can search for words on the card now.

Can confirm playing it on vita is fine-text may be a bit small but hey :D

Its not "reasons", those decks have near infinite loops and chains of effects with extremely beneficial outcomes, the only way to beat then is with another meta deck that can gain advantage just as fast. For new players, it would just be watching the opponent play by himself.

Not only that, but they can lock the opponent and render then unable to do absolutely anything. Look up "Apoqliphort Towers" or the infamous Djinn lock.

Not saying other decks don't have similar abilities, but the lists and new cards have make them more manageable.

The idea of the tournament is to play with our favorite decks for fun and to help any returning player to catch up. Long endless turns finishing on an OTK, kinda defeats that purpose.

Were just banning the top 5 decks of this format, you can use a top tier deck that have been balanced a still bit more after the years, like Samurais
I fully agree with this. At least for this first tournament, people should feel free to use the kind of decks they want, and have a reasonable chance of doing well. Insteadi of needing to build decks that are either the most powerful or ones specifically designed to counter those powerful decks.

It's not a super serious tournament anyway, just something to look forward to while building decks.

Vorheez

Does this game have a decent tutorial? Never played yugioh, but I'm desperate for a fleshed out tcg on ps4 after the fun I had with gwent.

Does this game have a decent tutorial? Never played yugioh, but I'm desperate for a fleshed out tcg on ps4 after the fun I had with gwent.
From what I've seen, yeah. It doesn't always tell you to do the smartest moves, but it does walk you through the basics and some chaining and such.

Yugioh is pretty simple from a basic design standpoint compared to some other card games, so I wouldn't be too worried if I was you.

It seems like there are a lot of viable fusion, ritual, XYZ, and synchro decks right now. I'm glad that the variety is good!

Fj0823

There is one.

If you have more questions, or the tutorial is not enough the official rulebook .pdf Is in the OT :)

my gf finished the download, and I have some bad news, our plus has expired and we agreed to forego plus to save money for a very special occasion for us some weeks ago ):

Seems I'll have to pass on the tournament, for now ):

Still, I have the game now!

Just do what I did and watch the Arc V anime on youtube. It will give you a general idea how everything works. Before yesterday I had no clue what Pendulum summoning was and now I feel like a pro and I haven't started playing yet. I. Got. This.

Fj0823

Just do what I did and watch the Arc V anime on youtube. It will give you a general idea how everything works. Before yesterday I had no clue what Pendulum summoning was and now I feel like a pro and I haven't started playing yet. I. Got. This.

This is a really good advice!

Takao

Banned
Takao, the first two screens you posted are from this game, you can see the Pendulum zones! :p

All of those screens are from Legacy of the Duelist. I posted them as an example of the game being ugly lol

I'll drop it after this since it's not super on topic, but IIRC World Duel Carnival still had the huge, huge issue of no multiplayer whatsoever even in Japan. Obviously they butchered it even further in the US release, but the Japanese one was definitely not exactly even decent, from what I recall hearing. While I don't believe TFSP had those issues, though I'm less familiar with that game.

I thought they gutted multiplayer from just the localized versions. Wow. TFSP has the same old local multi-player only deal, but they yanked out the fancy monster summoning animations and simplified the story mode.

I wonder what engine they are using, I do know that Decade Duels for example was loosely based on Tag Force 4 (borrowing music and assets directly more or less)

So I guess maybe the game is based on the PSP Arc-V? but mainly gutted for a digital release.

So what that said why not simply just release Arc-V digitally in English for Vita owners then? Wouldn't that accomplish the same thing?

There are likely a bunch of assets shared between the two, but Legacy of the Duelist and Tag Force Special are different games.

Stider

Here's some info of what is in each booster(that I've unlocked anyway):
Grandpa: Mostly garbage so far
Mai:mostly Harpies, Insects and fish/water monsters
Bakura: His fiend/zombie deck and the 'Agent' series of cards, also Infernoids
Joey: ritual monsters, koa'ki meiru cards
Kaiba: Dragons, toons and Fairies(Ishizu's deck?)

Seems to be only 6 boosters for each series(original, GX, 5D's and Zexal, no Arc-V as of yet). You unlock the last booster for first series after beating Pegasus at Duelist Kingdom.

buying cards in the shop sucks. you can only buy one pack at a time, and it doesn't really tell you what packs give you, only a somewhat associated assortment of cards with the character you pick (a joey pack will give you cards joey uses or would use, or a seto gives you blue eyes and dragon related cards). and I don't think there's a progress or completion percentage for each character pack

Going through the original series. Trying to see what I'll have by the end before I jump into getting new cards or changing anything. At Mai right now.

Sandfox

The Grandpa pack contains all of the good "staple" spells and traps as well as searchers.

Seems to be only 6 boosters for each series(original, GX, 5D's and Zexal, no Arc-V as of yet). You unlock the last booster for first series after beating Pegasus at Duelist Kingdom.
You do good work.

I don't think there's a progress or completion percentage for each character pack
That's frustrating. So there's no way to know if you have everything from a pack?

OmegaDL50

buying cards in the shop sucks. you can only buy one pack at a time, and it doesn't really tell you what packs give you, only a somewhat associated assortment of cards with the character you pick (a joey pack will give you cards joey uses or would use, or a seto gives you blue eyes and dragon related cards). and I don't think there's a progress or completion percentage for each character pack

Well at least it's better then how it was handled with Decade Duels / Millenium Duels.

In that game you got a random 5 to 11 cards based on how well you did in the Duel. Also there was no rhyme or actual cohesiveness to the cards given you. It's was 5 to 11 random as fuck cards and this was the only way to earn new cards in the game outside of buying DLC structure packs with PSN / XBLA money.

Legacy of the Duelist at least not only rewards the player cards for winning a match but also allows purchasing of extra cards with the in-game currency. So I'd say it's infinitely superior to the method used in the previous two games.

Stider

Well at least it's better then how it was handled with Decade Duels / Millenium Duels.

In that game you got a random 5 to 11 cards based on how well you did in the Duel. Also there was no rhyme or actual cohesiveness to the cards given you. It's was 5 to 11 random as fuck cards and this was the only way to earn new cards in the game outside of buying DLC structure packs with PSN / XBLA money.

Legacy of the Duelist at least not only rewards the player cards for winning a match but also allows purchasing of extra cards with the in-game currency. So I'd say it's infinitely superior to the method used in the previous two games.

Yeah, the good thing here is that if you are after a certain cards(harpies for example), you can just duel the person who uses them(Mai, in this example) and the cards you get when extra cards you get when you win, so far at least, are the cards they actually use.

OmegaDL50

I'm sure in time someone will create a guide that does a break down every single card each character has for sale.

I know someone did this very thing with both Decade and Millennium Duels with the very non-descriptive DLC decks.

Basically all one needs to do is buy the cards from from whoever and note which one they are and break down what the sort will be.

It will probably be a few weeks, maybe a month until we break down how to acquire all 6691 cards from the Booster purchases.

That's implying of course we can actually acquire all 6691 via gameplay means without additional DLC purchases.

So I started watching the Arc V anime to catch me before playing Yu Gi Oh on the PS4 and now I'm addicted to the anime. I beat Kaiba in the first story arc and reversed beat Yugi with Kaiba then quit to watch and see what happens next in the anime.

In the Arc V anime they keep the crazy hair styles to a minimum which is a plus and I actually like the main character. He's actually growing up and learning to deal with his emotions.

RE_Player

How did people jump right into playing? With 312 cards at start, I went right to deck edit to make my own.
I'm using the character decks they give you for each duel in the campaign for now. It's fun using cards from the show during those duels but eventually I will make my own deck after opening some packs.

Anyone playing on PS4 add me. PSN: RE_Player *just put Yugioh in the message so I know it's from here.

OmegaDL50

Can you zoom in on the cards like you can in Magic?

One of my favorite features with the PSP Tag Force titles was the awesome Card Album.

Unfortunately there is no such option for Legacy of the Duelist. The best you can do is check the card details option and that get a somewhat closer look.

Unfortunately all of the cards artwork is covered up with this horrible watermark.

It's almost as if they expect people to hack into the game and steal the artwork from the cards, which is kind of stupid because one can simply go to the Yu-Gi-Oh wikia and get high res renders of the actual card artworks if they really wanted them. The watermark is entirely pointless and doesn't serve any purpose but to marr the artwork of the cards in the game.

Skyo

Is game worth it for someone who hasn't played in years? I'm really tempted to try.

For sure definitely give it a try if youre still interested in the card game. I can understand if you feel confused with the added mechanics such as pendulum summoning but the game eases you in with the 5 main characters from all the anime series.-and you can choose to use their character made decks in story mode. So you learn the basics and then progress into the more sophisticated duels later down the campaign.

Its fun :D +remote play

mhi

Nice OT bro.

Quick question, is there any way I can disable the newer mechanics(xyz,synchron, and pendulum) and all their associated cards, including spell and trap and play the game in a "classic" mode ?

Took the default Jaden Yuki deck online and won my first match against some dude who kept wanting to stall with a mashmellown, millennium shield, two swords of revealing nights, nightmare steel cages, and more, ugh,

Fj0823

Nice OT bro.

Quick question, is there any way I can disable the newer mechanics(xyz,synchron, and pendulum) and all their associated cards, including spell and trap and play the game in a "classic" mode ?

Nope, YGO doesn't have legacy formats, as there is no set rotation, you can use all the old cards you liked unless they're banned, but don't expect your opponents to do the same!

However, you can still make amazing decks that only use old mechanics

OmegaDL50

Grandpa Yugi's Stall / Exodia deck is pretty crazy, the one Yugi uses against Kaiba. Heart of the Underdog and Sangan with Swords of Revealing Light is a hell of a combination to get Exodia out quick.

Also Kaiba's deck is pretty interesting because in the Anime he draws three BEWDs in a single turn which is normally against the rules, However this is actually possible in this deck with Ancient Rules that lets you instantly special summon a Level 5 or higher card from your hand to the field.

Of course Yugi has Torrential Tribute or Raigeki to shut that shit down.

mhi

Nope, YGO doesn't have legacy formats, as there is no set rotation, you can use all the old cards you liked unless they're banned, but don't expect your opponents to do the same!

I tried this in Dual Arena, mainly playing against the CPU but I reached a point where their decks were just too good.

What about the CPU from the earlier TV show seasons in this game, were they retroactively given cards with the new mechanics ?

OmegaDL50

Is there a way to use a custom card list.

Giant Trunade was one of my favorite cards. I understand why it was put on the forbidden list, but sometimes It's fun to use some of the older cards.

Fj0823

I tried this in Dual Arena, mainly playing against the CPU but I reached a point where their decks were just too good.

What about the CPU from the earlier TV show seasons in this game, were they retroactively given cards with the new mechanics ?

Lots of older themes like blue-eyes(, whose new Synchro you can see in the OP) were updated with new support for the new mechanics

however the story modes remain true to the series, its the characters packs that give you the new cards.

Top Bottom