• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

This is the first Zelda in a long time where immediately after finishing it, I want to dive into Hero mode.

---

Off topic somewhat, but...Amazon has a promotion right now where you can get 30% off books with a promo code (BOOKDEAL), and.. is Hyrule Historia worth $15? That's how much it would be for me if I used that promo. (free shipping with Prime, too)

Question: Am I supposed to be able to get the power glove upgrade (that let's me heave the big boulders) and whatever it is that let's me climb those things on the cliffs that are obviously rock-climbing before I get to Lorule?

So who else got excited for Zelda Wii U now that we have this little masterpiece?

Between this one and all the "lets make the game faster/less tedious" Wind Waker HD changes, you gotta feel pretty good about a faster paced 3D Zelda U.

EAD Group 3 pls

Grampasso

I don't think it's really all that easier than some other lorule dungeons. And you start right by the bomb flower too, which will lead you to the Swamp Palace. I don't think there any clear indication of where they want you to go first.
This is my order:
1)Swamp palace is the "better" first dungeon option IMHO, it has the Blue Tunic which is a life saver in Hero Mode.
2) Thieves Hideout (Master Ore + Sand Rod)
3) This leads to Desert Palace (Titan's Mitts) At this point you can have the second Master Ore from the Sanctuary in Lorule and power up the master sword the first time. Plus you actually have access to all the dungeons because if I remember well you NEED the Titan's Mitts to free one of the turtles to access Turtle Rock
4 and 5) Dark Palace and Skull Woods in any order, both have Master Ore so you can fully power up the sword
6) Turtle Rock for the Reflecting Shield
7) Ice Palace
So there's actually freedom in choices but at least you have to do the Thieves Hideout > Desert Palace > Turtle Rock

DaBoss

So who else got excited for Zelda Wii U now that we have this little masterpiece?
I'm always excited for new Zelda games, but because of this game and the things Aonuma stated about rethinking the conventions of Zelda, I am hyped that it will be a really good game.

So has anyone tried to do my no-mail no hearpiece Hero mode run yet? I should be getting my game back today so I want to know if I'm gonna be the first of us to do it.

Bottles allowed? I feel like bottles are more useful than mail anyway.

Hrm. Good question. I'd say two bottles are allowed, otherwise it'd just be frustrating to get one shot by everything, and having to restart.

I SHOULD MENTION it's no-buy as well. Get that wallet ready!

DaBoss

Hrm. Good question. I'd say two bottles are allowed, otherwise it'd just be frustrating to get one shot by everything, and having to restart.

I SHOULD MENTION it's no-buy as well. Get that wallet ready!
May as well make it use your net only.

I think it'll be possible, but it will just be death after death after death.

Nah, have to add some pain into dying. And it also discourages just having everything all the time, which makes things easier. None of that Nice Firerod crap. Play it like a man, default weapons only!

EDIT: To be clear, I actually started this, made it 6 dungeons in and grabbed the Blue Mail, realized I cheated myself, and then deleted the file. It's definitely possible. Playing like this makes it apparent that beating the game without taking hits is definitely possible, if difficult.

I think it'll be possible, but it will just be death after death after death.

I think you'll just have to go back to restock on fairies often. With two bottles, you'll be able to absorb two hits per run. The bosses will be doable once you know their patterns.

Nah, have to add some pain into dying. And it also discourages just having everything all the time, which makes things easier. None of that Nice Firerod crap. Play it like a man, default weapons only!

EDIT: To be clear, I actually started this, made it 6 dungeons in and grabbed the Blue Mail, realized I cheated myself, and then deleted the file. It's definitely possible. Playing like this makes it apparent that beating the game without taking hits is definitely possible, if difficult.
If you're not buying anything, renting is a non-issue. You'd have to die a 1000 times to have trouble affording everything.

Question: Am I supposed to be able to get the power glove upgrade (that let's me heave the big boulders) and whatever it is that let's me climb those things on the cliffs that are obviously rock-climbing before I get to Lorule?

There is no rock climbing. The rocky walls are actually barriers to prevent drawn Link from moving past them on the walls.

KHlover

Banned
even skyward sword?
Best combat, dungeons and Boss Fights since OOT? Check

Stealth sequences with actual tension? Check

Best artstyle? Check

Interesting upgrade system? Check

I admit, Fi and the constant popups were a bit annoying, but not as bad as some people made it out to be.

Nintendo also went a bit over the top with how restricted the world was after people complained about WW and TP being to empty, but gameplay-wise SS still beats WW and TP.

I think you'll just have to go back to restock on fairies often. With two bottles, you'll be able to absorb two hits per run. The bosses will be doable once you know their patterns.

If you're not buying anything, renting is a non-issue. You'd have to die a 1000 times to have trouble affording everything.

I didn't mean no heart containers, just no heart pieces. You only get the hearts given to you.

It's no buy mainly to prevent item upgrading, honestly. Shooting 3 arrows at a time and using the upgraded Fire/Wind rod would be too easy. Pain! Challenge! Victory!

Busaiku

Finished the Turtle Rock boss, being my 4th so far, not really liking them.
I like that the game is fast, but it also works to its detriment, as bosses just go by really quickly.

The only enemy I've liked so far is
the ogre thing that extort, then goes berserk

Anteo

I was just sharing my personal experience with it lol. :p

And then sharing a secret area that is in the same dungeon that is likely not be not known.

Also about that, on the other side there is a similar room, when you enter from the south you can see the game loads the moving wall close to the door (you can see the turning wall box from above for a little time, then the game puts the regular walls on top), similar to the room you described, however I could not find the way to make it turn around

hm, why?
isnt the whole point of getting no hearts and no mail that you ARE getting one-shot? that you have to dodge or block everything?
I think bottles should not be allowed.

It's not no hearts, it's no heart pieces. You can still pick up the containers. The point of this is to still be fun, not be "ULTRA MASO DEATH MODE" haha. Someone can do a more masochistic run than me, I was just wondering if other people were doing similar runs to mine.

LowParry

THIS fucking GAME. Love it to pieces. Though question about these Shadow Link challenges. What's a easy way to acquire them?

sphinx

the piano man
just arrived in Lorule and the game is very entretaining, it's great!

my only question: why did they have to use the ALTTP template for it? it really wasn't necessary,

it looks like they wanted to save extra dev time using an old overworld template...

Ansatz

even skyward sword?

Skyward Sword and MM are the only 3D Zeldas with overworlds that are fun to explore. I can't stand the empty fields of OoT/TP, and many of WW's sea sections are just pointless, void of gameplay substance. The last piece of the puzzle is to implement interconnectedness a la metroidvanias and we're set.

I have similar thoughts regarding the combat system. It's something that has always just sort of been there, SS takes it to another level making it an integral part of the experience. I will be sad if they regress to standard controls.

Best boss fights by far, some of the best dungeons (though overall lacking in complexity), etc. I can keep going. My favorite Zelda.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
At the end of the game now and the design has grown on me a great deal. I'm already thinking about different strategies for another playthrough.

The item upgrades may not all be very essential but a few make a big difference in their relevant dungeons, like the fire and ice rods.

Chipotle

Been ill and playing this in bed today. I've only just done the Eastern Palace but I'm really enjoying it. I'm always worried about spending my money in games though, what's a good amount to set aside or are there enough rupees around that I should just spend away?

RkOwnage

Is there a form of fast travel in this game? I'm almost done and I feel like it would make things more convenient, I also feel like if it were in the game I'd of uncovered it by now, but I figured I'd ask anyways.

Is there a form of fast travel in this game? I'm almost done and I feel like it would make things more convenient, I also feel like if it were in the game I'd of uncovered it by now, but I figured I'd ask anyways.

Um, fast travel is introduced to you extremely early in the game (iirc, before you do any of the main dungeons). The witch who flies around can teleport you places on her broom. You just ring the little bell on the bottom left on the touchscreen. The fast travel points are the save points on the map.

iirc, you get fast travel access after you go into the area with the fortune teller in Hyrule very early on.

how do you miss the fast travel system
KuGsj.gif

RkOwnage

Um, fast travel is introduced to you extremely early in the game. The witch who flies around can teleport you places on her broom. You just ring the little bell on the bottom left on the touchscreen. The fast travel points are the save points on the map.

....I don't even

Orcastar

Finished the game today. It was pretty good, definitely one of the better handheld Zeldas, but it didn't really live up to LttP. The world just seemed smaller somehow. The whole rental system seemed kinda pointless too, what with the game showering you with enough rupees to rent everything the moment you gain access to the shop and never taking the items away from you.

Also, I really I wish Hero Mode had been available from the start. Didn't die once during the entire game.

bounchfx

just arrived in Lorule and the game is very entretaining, it's great!

my only question: why did they have to use the ALTTP template for it? it really wasn't necessary,

it looks like they wanted to save extra dev time using an old overworld template...

Uh, nostalgia most likely. Increased sales. Also because it's a freakin sweet idea? :)

I only have two sages left to find, but this game has been stellar all the way through so far. It FEELS great. There's been no filler. My only complaint is how bland the art style is that they went for. It's not bad, but it reminds me of going from something creative like SS to here, similar to how they went from something like yoshis island to NSMB. It's almost offensive.

Pappasman

I finished the game for the first time last night and while I thought it was phenomenal there are some aspects that really bugged me. The lack of any hand holding was fantastic and the new non-linear design worked well for the most part, but my problem is that the game is so darn easy.

I didn't get the red tunic and avoided all heart containers/pieces after about the halfway point in the game. I died 1 time because I wasn't paying attention. Its not just the combat either, There was only one puzzle in the whole game that I had to stop and think about.
The master ore puzzle in the dark palace
. The dungeons were incredibly short and while they weren't bad they failed to put up much of a fight and ended up being pretty forgettable. I think a linear dungeon order would allow the devs to be able to scale difficulty more effectively.

I'm going to go back and get 100% in hero mode which I'll probably enjoy much more. After that I'll try a low% run.

The best dungeons were the Dark Palace and the final dungeon.

Sagitario

I finished it last night. What an incredibly designed & crafted game... and I am so in love with its soundtrack.

What's new/different/changed in Hero Mode besides increased damage?

I finished it last night. What an incredibly designed & crafted game... and I am so in love with its soundtrack.

What's new/different/changed in Hero Mode besides increased damage?

4x damage and a few more winks, is about it. Though IMO it really makes the gameplay shine a bit more than it already does.

Sendou

So what are everybodys' favorite songs from the game? I must say mine is either Beginning Field or Zora's Domain.

I still need to beat the final dungeon and boss so we'll see if some songs there will change my mind. Such a spectacular soundtrack from Nintendo once again. I'm really impressed.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I saw someone playing the game, pretty far into Lorule and he never got the second item pouch.

Me: Dude! How did you miss the...
Him: I know, but I don't want to know, I want to find it by myself.
Me: HOW DID YOU NEVER WENT THERE!?

Top Bottom