• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

Poyunch

This is the first floor.
The platform is blocking the southwest light from shining to the basement. Bombs don't seem to do anything.

R.I.P

Just beat the Desert Palace. Was a lot of fun, possibly my favorite dungeon so far. The boss is going to kick my ass on hero mode, went in with 17 hearts and left with around six left :p
Only the ice dungeon left to go now, though I'll explore more of the overworld first now that I finally have
the titan's mitt

Please tell me I wasn't the only one who started slashing a Cucoo to no end once they arrived in the village? I wanted to see if the same thing happened from the SNES game...

Leezard

This is the first floor.
The platform is blocking the southwest light from shining to the basement. Bombs don't seem to do anything.

Have you tried
removing the lantern before you bomb it? I'm quite certain that I only bombed it, but you never know if the lantern can do something. Test the hammer as well if you haven't.

trinest

Wait people like the music? It just feels like sound bites and yes I agree the linked Milk Bar music was cool but so far in my gameplay I'm yet to encounter anything good which isn't an old or remixed track.

trinest

Wow, the reception for the game in here is pretty mixed...

I'm in the "meh" bag, for me its like "yay Zelda, hmmm oh, oh that's cool...wait you did that with that...oh no...wait no bad....oh that's mmmm...okay bad...."

The game just floats by in its existence for me. It hits a few markers but way to many are not hit and it feels like to many of its design choices are getting paces because its 2D/Handheld Zelda which comonlly gets passess for doing nothing.

ryushe

That moment when
you beat the 3 out of 4 mini boses in Lorule's castle and the castle theme changes
had me like...
d1.gif

protonion

Ready for the Hero mode!

Aside from hearts, upgrades and treasure caves are there any other secrets to be found?

I'll also go for the 999 sec in the cucco mini game. There is a cool reward apparently:

A fat cucco appears and heals you when you talk to it.

Salih

Whomever designed the baseball game needs to be taken out of game development. Shit is taking me longer than main game itself. There are only three points you can hit your ball and yet the how far left or right it goes is completely random.
haha, had the same problem. however i figured it out and then it got so easy - i always get 120+ points.

Probably to try curtailing the mentality of stocking up on fairies and disregarding potions. I never did bother with potions in other Zeldas because instant reviving's just that much more practical to have, but this treats it more as an emergency reset button.

... Still didn't need to get potions though. Perhaps on Hero mode, but then that's to be expected, even some of those more generous Zeldas would have need of them on that I think as I actually want to have them in Wind Waker.
Potions are less valuable on hero. Enemies often do more damage than you have hearts, making fairy revives more useful than a full heal.

KHlover

Banned
Don't tell me that's what they call it in the Euro version...? It's not the
Treacherous Tower
?

I have the German version and didn't know the English name. It's a freestyle translation with the goal to make it as easy as possible to identify the location, even though its name is wrong :D

Edit: The German name is "Ausdauerkampf", which would translate to "Stamina Battle". Would anyone here have known what I was talking about if I used "stamina battle" instead of "tower of challenges" ?

Socreges

Banned
I'm in the "meh" bag, for me its like "yay Zelda, hmmm oh, oh that's cool...wait you did that with that...oh no...wait no bad....oh that's mmmm...okay bad...."

The game just floats by in its existence for me. It hits a few markers but way to many are not hit and it feels like to many of its design choices are getting paces because its 2D/Handheld Zelda which comonlly gets passess for doing nothing.
My God this is a difficult post to read. Don't get me wrong, you're entitled to your opinion. I just think you couldn't have expressed or written it more poorly.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Welp 100%ed Hero as much as I could; don't think I'm ever going to attempt 999 seconds, but I'll wait for streetpass shenanigans.

nasos_333

Wow, the reception for the game in here is pretty mixed...

I dont see that at all, it is closer to the review scores, 90% is positive, and like a 5%-10% negative

Every game will have a 5-10% negative, that is a statistical fact :)

Wrong thread? Have hardly seen any negatives, for a zelda game this thread is like a church

Well, i think he means that even one negative post among the 1000 positives ones is still qualifying for mixed, because it is mixed as a fact

It is the analogy though that matters :)

I'm slowly making my way through it, being four dungeons deep into Lorule thus far, but I'm absolutely loving it.

I didn't have huge expectations for this game. ALttP is one of my least favourite Zelda games, but this game addresses a lot of the stuff that didn't work for me in its predecessor. The world has a lot more character. The bosses are still often boring sword fights, but most bosses now have two phases, which mixes things up enough. The dungeons this time around feel more distinct and contain more puzzle elements. Speaking of the dungeons, they are really nailing the dungeon designs for a while now. I just finished the temple in the swamp and it impressed me several times across the board. The layout, the music, the puzzles, the visual effects. Everything worked so well. I miss the element of teasing that you normally had in the previous games. Since you have all the items you need from the start, there aren't really many points any longer where puzzles are presented that you can't solve yet.

The only downside I've had thus far is the biggest change. The renting system is an interesting enough experiment, but I think it holds the game back a bit. I'm basically renting all items at all times, which couldn't have been the intention. I've only died once (hogging fairies like a mofo though) and I could easily rent out the entire store again, so there was no reason penalty there.

Definitely one of the better games I've played in a year or two.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I think they could easily have dropped crossing out the dungeons on the map. At least after you get to lorule. It just feels like unnecessary guiding to me

Where'd it go? I loved this game but I wouldn't put it above Skyward or Twilight Princess.

Really? Why you dont put the game above the handholdy, linear, unepic, poor excuse for a Zelda called Skyward Sword? I cant get it through my head, ALBW has all the stuff a good Zelda must have while SS has barely any of them

john tv

I have the German version and didn't know the English name. It's a freestyle translation with the goal to make it as easy as possible to identify the location, even though its name is wrong :D

Edit: The German name is "Ausdauerkampf", which would translate to "Stamina Battle". Would anyone here have known what I was talking about if I used "stamina battle" instead of "tower of challenges" ?
Ahh, gotcha. Nah, just noticed a trend in recent years of the Euro versions having very dry, literal translations compared to the US ones, so thought it might be that again.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Just got to the dark world and in the dungeon where you
are greeted by that FUCKING HAND.

Seeing it there always floating over my head with the 3d on... NO NO NO NO NO NO

Tom_Cody

I'm in the Dark Palace and holy fuck at the final chest. I feel like I'm so close to solving it and yet so far away.

It doesn't help that I've already unlocked the boss fight.

I'm in the Dark Palace and holy fuck at the final chest. I feel like I'm so close to solving it and yet so far away.
I just did that last night, I think I spent twenty or thirty minutes in that room but it was SO boss to figure it out on my own.

Also, your avatar is choice.

Top Bottom