• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

Conor 419

Banned
It's disingenuous to say Zelda is back, as the series hasn't been this way since Zelda II, but let us pray the Wii U version follows the philosophies of this game wholeheartedly.

Tom_Cody

I just did that last night, I think I spent twenty or thirty minutes in that room but it was SO boss to figure it out on my own.

Also, your avatar is choice.
Just got it. It was simpler than I thought.

What's the deal with
the room all the way on the right side and the various other dodongo-mask wall markings on that floor?

Are those just red herrings? If those hadn't been there I would have figured out the solution much faster.

Thanks regarding the avatar comment. The origin of the image is kind of interesting:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=91365598&postcount=3867

Dr.Hadji

Where'd it go? I loved this game but I wouldn't put it above Skyward or Twilight Princess.

I would put it above TP, but I agree SS still wins. It was my GOTG, such a superb game

My brothers. I know people have one or two big problems with some design choices in SS but almost completely dismissing all the other aspects of the game is throwing out the baby with the bath water. SS does almost nothing good? We could build a list of "important things in a Zelda game" and SS would compare favorably next to any Zelda game. Now, how you weigh each element in terms of importance would of course greatly skew your opinion of which ever game.

Forkball

I really like exploring in this game. I haven't even done a Lorule dungeon yet because I'm too busy checking around the overworld and collecting heart pieces. Though whoever thought the bomb flower in one spot was a good idea needs to get turned into a portrait.

Really? Why you dont put the game above the handholdy, linear, unepic, poor excuse for a Zelda called Skyward Sword? I cant get it through my head, ALBW has all the stuff a good Zelda must have while SS has barely any of them

Again I thought ALBW was fantastic, phenomenal even, but I disagree that Skyward was linear, unepic, or a poor excuse for a Zelda game. Skyward had amazing dungeons and bosses and I thought the storyline was by far the best. Also the "handholding" comment has seemingly become that go-to phrase for insta-negativity. Yes, Fi blabbered a lot, and there were a few instances where she gave some ridiculous hints, but the game was so big and there were so many puzzles that I don't feel like that's a fair statement. People act like Fi played the game for you or something. Stopping to talk is one thing, but holding your hand? It's like all the comments about how Final Fantasy XII played itself, which is total bullshit.

My brothers. I know people have one or two big problems with some design choices in SS but almost completely dismissing all the other aspects of the game is throwing out the baby with the bath water. SS does almost nothing good? We could build a list of "important things in a Zelda game" and SS would compare favorably next to any Zelda game. Now, how you weigh each element in terms of importance would of course greatly skew your opinion of which ever game.

Yep. I played through it again to help pass the time to ALBW and loved it all over again. There are a few things that I would absolutely change, but overall I think it's incredible. I love ALBW, I think the dungeons were fun and nicely paced, the bosses were mostly okay, but for some reason I'm finding it to be somewhat forgettable; possibly due to the story that just felt very tacked on. Could just be that it needs to sink in though. Then again I'm the guy that loves the majority of Zelda games and actually dislikes some of the ones people seem to put on a pedestal like Majora's Mask and Wind Waker. :p

edit: dislike is a strong word, I like MM and WW, but they'd rank really low on my list.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
So I played for like 10 minutes last night and just had the goofiest grin on my face the whole time. It's glorious.

Quick Q though, and it's right at the start.

After visiting
Kakiriko village for the the first time and the old man(Shambalalala or whoever) sends you find his sage son in the desert to the east of the map, and there's a puzzle that requires the bow, is there any hint to tell you that you're supposed to go back to your home to meet Nabbit (purple rabbit dude) to get your first piece of equipment rental? I sort of just wondered around the whole map checking every location till I got lucky.

I guess my question is: is there a lot of this sort of directionless, explore and stumble onto progress type design? I'd like to know in advance to adjust my playstyle and expectations.

Yep. I played through it again to help pass the time to ALBW and loved it all over again. There are a few things that I would absolutely change, but overall I think it's incredible. I love ALBW, I think the dungeons were fun and nicely paced, the bosses were mostly okay, but for some reason I'm finding it to be somewhat forgettable; possibly due to the story that just felt very tacked on. Could just be that it needs to sink in though. Then again I'm the guy that loves the majority of Zelda games and actually dislikes some of the ones people seem to put on a pedestal like Majora's Mask and Wind Waker. :p

I'm the same way. Well, at least in regards to Majora's Mask (I still love Wind Waker, although I wouldn't say it's one of my top favorites). People act like Majora's Mask is the pinnacle of the series, and while there are some things it did well, I just didn't care for it. Never even finished it because I was so disappointed with it coming off OoT when I was younger. If they DO release a 3DS remake, I'll buy and give it another shot, though.

I also really loved Skyward Sword. Sure, there are some things I would have changed, but as a whole, it was really fun. A Link Between Worlds is fantastic and easily one of the best Zeldas (imo), but I'm not sure where I would place it on my list. xD

So I played for like 10 minutes last night and just had the goofiest grin on my face the whole time. It's glorious.

After visiting
Kakiriko village for the the first time and the old man(Shambalalala or whoever) sends you find his sage son in the desert to the east of the map, and there's a puzzle that requires the bow, is there any hint to tell you that you're supposed to go back to your home to meet Nabbit (purple rabbit dude) to get your first piece of equipment rental? I sort of just wondered around the whole map checking every location till I got lucky.

I guess my question is: is there a lot of this sort of directionless, explore and stumble onto progress type design? I'd like to know in advance to adjust my playstyle and expectations.

Did you not notice the
purple signs clearly indicating Ravio right beside that puzzle?
It does have a bit of that "directionless, explore and stumble" onto a way to get into later dungeons, though. The game definitely doesn't hold your hand in the 2nd half of the game.

I got up to Fire Sanctuary recently and had just lost all interest. I think I bombed a wall, and in SS it takes like half a hour for them to pan over to the wall and sloooooowly dissipate the smoke until its completely clear, then the jingle plays, then it pans back to you, and I think that summed up the whole game for me.

KarmaCow

After visiting

Isn't there a
sign that says Ravio is selling items south of the castle?

It's no so much directionless as it is free form. The game tells you where you can go to continue with the plot I guess but not necessarily how to get there. With the item rental system, there are few things gated by an item you can't get yet, but for the most part you can go anywhere if you want and there are multiple options pointed out to you by the game.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
It was late and I forgot his name was Ravio. I kept thinking of him as Nabbit. My bad!!

In conclusion it's completely my fault for not playing closer attention.

KarmaCow

You know just thinking about it now, how LBW handles how the player figures out
how to get into the Theives Hideout
highlights how the game stands apart from recent Zelda games. SS would have had Fi popping up telling you what to do or some cutscene would lay it out upon entering the town.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Lost Woods crystal dungeon was a lot of fun. The boss? Worst of the game so far. Just flat out not fun.

XaosWolf

Just got to the dark world and in the dungeon where you
are greeted by that FUCKING HAND.

Seeing it there always floating over my head with the 3d on... NO NO NO NO NO NO

Exactly my reaction:
OHGODNOTYOUAAAAAAAAAAA

Also, am I the only one who really likes the Minigame theme? :<
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqvDaqQii_M

Dat celtic style.

It's got dat Zelda whimsy. =D

I got up to Fire Sanctuary recently and had just lost all interest. I think I bombed a wall, and in SS it takes like half a hour for them to pan over to the wall and sloooooowly dissipate the smoke until its completely clear, then the jingle plays, then it pans back to you, and I think that summed up the whole game for me.

This, but Fi would also have popped up to inform you that there is a 99.78% chance that the the bomb opened up a passage in the wall now, Master.

I finished it, but as much as I loved a lot of the aesthetic things they did with the game, its continuously breaking up the gameplay. Bringing the game to a screeching halt every time you do anything.

I don't remember most of Twilight Princess, and I tried going back to it but the huge opening part is bone-achingly dull.

Even if people don't like the crossing off thing on the map in ALBW, at least it just did that and then left you to it.

KHlover

Banned
Just revisited Turtle Rock and Lorule Castle to get my missing items. Took me 5min to do so. Just how did I miss them before?

On another note: Even while I have the special item for the final boss two slots of my inventory are still free. Which items go there?

Leezard

Just revisited Turtle Rock and Lorule Castle to get my missing items. Took me 5min to do so. Just how did I miss them before?

On another note: Even while I have the special item for the final boss two slots of my inventory are still free. Which items go there?

It's probably either a bottle or the two fruits that you can buy in shops.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

Probably the two fruits. You can buy them in Kakariko in the shop (building with the shield on it) if you want a quick way to get them.

Enjoying the game so far. Past the first dungeon. Not much being revealed as far as story(tho I'm literally just starting the game).

Its taking some getting used to with the top dwn, I haven't played ALTTP in years. Did anyone else struggle with the controls initally? I mean I'm getting hit when I expect to be away from the enemy.

So I bought A Link Between Worlds and a 3DS XL on black in Black Friday for $190 plus tax. I'm hoping I won't regret it as I'm a big Zelda fan but I'm not a big fan of portables. So far Zelda looks and feels great, and I'm looking forward to picking up the better version of Ocarina of Time.

However I also noticed that the top shoulder buttons feel different from one another. It's not a big difference and neither button feels bad but one button feels tighter mounted with no play and the other has a miniscule amount of play. They both click exactly the same however, with the tighter one sounding springy if you put your ear right up to it. The other just clicks no spring sound. My first impression is to leave it alone and not return it as it doesn't seem to matter, and everything else on the 3DS is perfect. And if I returned it I might end up with a worse unit. I know from experience that some 3DS units vary from one another on button feel, it's just strange that I have this variable on the same unit. In fact the only reason I'm worried is because I hear that the shoulder buttons sometimes crap out. What you guys think? Should I return it or am I being incredibly anal?

zashga

Finished the game yesterday, then went back to get a few things I missed. Great game all around; I really enjoyed the free-form design. The soundtrack is excellent, and the so-so graphics didn't detract for me.

Really looking forward to Wii U Zelda after this. I get the impression this game is a trial run for some ideas we'll see there.

andymcc

Banned
I thought you could do the dungeons in any order? YOU LIED TO ME NINTENDO.
i'd say that, because the thieves' hideout is closest to your player when first getting to lorule, they expect most players to do that dungeon first. it's the easiest one in lorule by a landslide imho

So I bought A Link Between Worlds and a 3DS XL on black in Black Friday for $190 plus tax. I'm hoping I won't regret it as I'm a big Zelda fan but I'm not a big fan of portables. So far Zelda looks and feels great, and I'm looking forward to picking up the better version of Ocarina of Time.

However I also noticed that the top shoulder buttons feel different from one another. It's not a big difference and neither button feels bad but one button feels tighter mounted with no play and the other has a miniscule amount of play. They both click exactly the same however, with the tighter one sounding springy if you put your ear right up to it. The other just clicks no spring sound. My first impression is to leave it alone and not return it as it doesn't seem to matter, and everything else on the 3DS is perfect. And if I returned it I might end up with a worse unit. I know from experience that some 3DS units vary from one another on button feel, it's just strange that I have this variable on the same unit. In fact the only reason I'm worried is because I hear that the shoulder buttons sometimes crap out. What you guys think? Should I return it or am I being incredibly anal?
It may just be the XL. My circle pad feels springy and I have to press down harder on the Y and A buttons than my normal Zelda 3DS

Fireblend

Banned
Alright guys, I need some help. How in the world do I get to the room that's greyed out here: http://imgur.com/2T3pad5 ? (Dark Palace map, F1, bottom left corner).

There's nothing on that wall, and I see nowhere I could drop from into that room. Help! I'm going insane.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Alright guys, I need some help. How in the world do I get to the room that's greyed out here: http://imgur.com/2T3pad5 ? (Dark Palace map, F1, bottom left corner).

There's nothing on that wall, and I see nowhere I could drop from into that room. Help! I'm going insane.

Geez some people have trouble with that one...

Place a bomb on the elevating platform so it explodes while it's at its lowest position.

i'd say that, because the thieves' hideout is closest to your player when first getting to lorule, they expect most players to do that dungeon first. it's the easiest one in lorule by a landslide imho
I don't think it's really all that easier than some other lorule dungeons. And you start right by the bomb flower too, which will lead you to the Swamp Palace. I don't think there any clear indication of where they want you to go first.

Fireblend

Banned
Geez some people have trouble with that one...

Place a bomb on the elevating platform so it explodes while it's at its lowest position.
What the fuck. This game is merciless. Thanks!

(This game is kicking my ass so bad. I'm getting old)

DaBoss

It is hard to find the entrance to that room, but it is kind of funny, when I actually got to that room and I immediately tried to use
bombs on that platform because it seemed like I would be able to bomb the entrance there.

Another secret room in the Dark Palace (2nd floor) people probably won't know about is if you
place a bomb at the bottom switch and then go to the left area of the room and then merge with the wall, there is a wall spinning thing there. Of course there is nothing actually there other than rupees. I found it interesting since I only found it on my Hero Mode run.

Conor 419

Banned
I can't help but notice, that Nintendo games which look the most stupid in their conception, tend to go on to be their greatest ever games.

In general, I'm really happy this game happened.

Onikaan

That's what happened to me too.
First Zelda game to ever do it to me.

I managed it, but it took an entire year before I felt the need to progress past the 2nd dungeon.
I see Turtle Rock has moved since ALTTP. Will be interesting to see what's up on Death Mountain now.

Top Bottom