• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

D-e-f-

Banned
Has it been confirmed that all European versions of this game are the same (as in, all language options)? Or at least that the German release has an English text option?

I want to buy this game as a gift to a friend living in Germany, but I think she'd prefer the game in English. It'll be slightly cheaper for me to buy from amazon.de than amazon.co.uk, and she'd get it on release day too.

Nintendo has been doing EU versions with all 5 languages for their first party games since forever.

I don't mind the visuals in LBW (and I do believe you have to see it first-hand), but seeing them compared like this really nails home that LttP has a way more attractive look. It's a more inviting look that has more warmth if that makes sense.

But the visuals have been talked about too much imo, I'm sure the game is gonna be a classic and I couldn't be more excited for it.

I understand what youre saying. Also, alttp seems to have a more mature look to it. A good part of that is because it has darker colors than albw. Overall, though, i think they did a nice job of translating this game to 3d.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Don't do it! Go to the spoiler thread!

I never really liked the game, and difficulty of the game itself as well as the controls make it so I get frustrated quickly. And don't tell me 'use the stand'; it doesn't help.

Ok! Sell it then! :)

john tv

I'm kind of wary of all these perfect scores. A lot of them seem to be coming from people have heavy nostalgia for LttP. I love that game but I've never thought the series needed to revisit anything from it. My expectations shall remain grounded.
I think this is a smart way to approach this game. I think anyone who loved ALTTP is going to automatically enjoy this game like 20% more no matter what, thanks to the familiarity of the world and especially (especially!) the music.

Zelda is a long-running series (I think this is the 17th game?), so everyone's ideas of what make a Zelda game good are naturally going to be different. They really, really nailed the pacing of this one (everything moves at a really fast clip, and thanks to this, even if you have to go all the way across the overworld to look for something, it's never a drag - which is important, IMO), and the game rarely ever attempts to hold your hand. Sometimes there are little pedestals with icons on them that hint at what items to use -- I'd rather those weren't there, but I think they saw it as a trade-off for being so non-linear (if you don't have all the items with you, you might get stuck wondering what to do forever), but apart from that, the game doesn't really try to help you at all, which is a big, BIG step up from Skyward Sword.

It's a little weird to compare this to Majora's Mask, so I'm kinda nervous that some people are freaking out (in a good way) about my saying this is my fav Zelda since MM. :) Every Zelda since MM has been really good but was lacking in one way or another; Wind Waker was amazing in a lot of ways, but it felt unfinished to me (really needed those two extra dungeons and a way less shitty sailing system). Twilight Princess, I just couldn't really get into...felt like it was lacking a soul somehow. To this day it's the only mainline Zelda I haven't finished - I don't dislike it, I just didn't feel that childlike enthusiasm I feel from Zelda games when I was playing it. Kind of a weird anomaly, I guess. Skyward Sword felt like a return to form for me, but the constant hand-holding really hurt my experience, and I felt like the overworld lacked variety. They were at least clever in how they brought you back to areas you'd already been to, but I'd have much preferred entirely new areas with different visual themes. (If Dark Souls can have over a dozen really distinct areas, why can't Zelda? Hopefully Aonuma is asking the same question right now with Zelda U...)

On the handheld side, I've pretty much loved almost every one apart from Spirit Tracks (didn't even bother playing this as it looked pretty lame; will give it a go someday, tho). LInk's Awakening, the two Oracle games, and especially Minish Cap were all really great IMO.

Anyway, went off on a tangent there, but bringing it back to Majora's Mask - that game felt really complete to me, and had no major flaws. Great world, great dungeons (not enough of them, but it felt OK given the unique gameplay systems), great story, great music, etc. A Link Between Worlds also feels complete to me. Would've been nice had the overall game flow not mirrored ALTTP quite so much, and yes, maybe the dungeons could've been a little longer (or just higher in number), but on the whole, it felt very complete and very satisfying. Definitely a big step in the right direction for the series.

I'll shut up now. Hope you guys enjoy the game as much as I did! Five more days! :)

Jackano

Small spoiler about music.
Oh yes now Overworld (Hyrule) Version 2 has been uploaded!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7eknx7xqmo
Those damn GAF > Internet > GAF :) Glad you enjoy it!
I wanted to upload Lost Woods tonight but I was unable to edit Link's footstep. I said frak, the theme is half-minute long but after that my sound editor messed up and glitched the music when adding the fading, so back at the bottom of the list. I will probably be able to add Kakariko Village and the Fairy theme tomorrow.

Back to the game:
The streetpass thing seems a bit forced (I have been able to fight against a Nintendo spotpass opponent named "bundle") . Straight battle against the Shadow Link but you can equip your own Link with whatever you want (weapons or even bottle with a fairy inside) and you actually play (it's not an automated battle). Depending what you set, and what your opponent had in equipment, the amount of rupees you win (or loose I guess) vary.
Cool but there was those long exchange chain in older Zelda game like the one in OoT leading to Biggoron's Sword. I always wanted to see this with Streetpass, people seeking for other item throught streetpass and actually doing the exchange to climb a giant "technology" tree leading to some extra weapons.
Anyway, the battle I just fought was short as you can expect, and pretty intense, so I didn't computed the thing right away, but iirc, beautiful music when fighting in streetpass once again:
Adventure of Link

Nintendo has been doing EU versions with all 5 languages for their first party games since forever.
It's multi-5 but like some other 3DS games, it seems you don't have the option to change the in-game language. I guess you have to set it in the 3DS settings.

ivysaur12

Banned
I think this is a smart way to approach this game. I think anyone who loved ALTTP is going to automatically enjoy this game like 20% more no matter what, thanks to the familiarity of the world and especially (especially!) the music.

Zelda is a long-running series (I think this is the 17th game?), so everyone's ideas of what make a Zelda game good are naturally going to be different. They really, really nailed the pacing of this one (everything moves at a really fast clip, and thanks to this, even if you have to go all the way across the overworld to look for something, it's never a drag - which is important, IMO), and the game rarely ever attempts to hold your hand. Sometimes there are little pedestals with icons on them that hint at what items to use -- I'd rather those weren't there, but I think they saw it as a trade-off for being so non-linear (if you don't have all the items with you, you might get stuck wondering what to do forever), but apart from that, the game doesn't really try to help you at all, which is a big, BIG step up from Skyward Sword.

It's a little weird to compare this to Majora's Mask, so I'm kinda nervous that some people are freaking out (in a good way) about my saying this is my fav Zelda since MM. :) Every Zelda since MM has been really good but was lacking in one way or another; Wind Waker was amazing in a lot of ways, but it felt unfinished to me (really needed those two extra dungeons and a way less shitty sailing system). Twilight Princess, I just couldn't really get into...felt like it was lacking a soul somehow. To this day it's the only mainline Zelda I haven't finished - I don't dislike it, I just didn't feel that childlike enthusiasm I feel from Zelda games when I was playing it. Kind of a weird anomaly, I guess. Skyward Sword felt like a return to form for me, but the constant hand-holding really hurt my experience, and I felt like the overworld lacked variety. They were at least clever in how they brought you back to areas you'd already been to, but I'd have much preferred entirely new areas with different visual themes. (If Dark Souls can have over a dozen really distinct areas, why can't Zelda? Hopefully Aonuma is asking the same question right now with Zelda U...)

On the handheld side, I've pretty much loved almost every one apart from Spirit Tracks (didn't even bother playing this as it looked pretty lame; will give it a go someday, tho). LInk's Awakening, the two Oracle games, and especially Minish Cap were all really great IMO.

Anyway, went off on a tangent there, but bringing it back to Majora's Mask - that game felt really complete to me, and had no major flaws. Great world, great dungeons (not enough of them, but it felt OK given the unique gameplay systems), great story, great music, etc. A Link Between Worlds also feels complete to me. Would've been nice had the overall game flow not mirrored ALTTP quite so much, and yes, maybe the dungeons could've been a little longer (or just higher in number), but on the whole, it felt very complete and very satisfying. Definitely a big step in the right direction for the series.

I'll shut up now. Hope you guys enjoy the game as much as I did! Five more days! :)

I love this. Thank you so much for the impressions -- I agree with you fully about MM, WW, TP, and SS. I'm so hyped now.

Lunar15

Your opinions on the series are ridiculously close to my own. Gives me hope that I'll really enjoy the game. I think the main difference is that I think MM is only a perfect game in its second half (the first half is poorly paced), but I'll agree that every game after it has had some kind of weird flaw that has really kept it from shining bright.

Neiteio

Wow, are you me?? Well, I completed Twilight Princess, but like you nothing has really been a "complete" Zelda experience since Majora's Mask -- which seems funny to say, since in many ways MM is the quirkiest and "least Zelda" Zelda title to date. Yet it hit all the right notes, from satisfying traversal and puzzle-based progression, to an absorbing world and cast of characters wed to intertwining side-quests, to a laser-like focus in its pacing due to the doomsday countdown keeping you (and the game) to task.

Nothing has lived up the high bar set by MM, but everything about ALBW looks like a return to form. I'm most excited about the strong pacing and the sense of mystery and adventure that comes with the ability to tackle dungeons in any order. Even the basic moment-to-moment gameplay looks like a massive improvement, with punchier combat and quicker movement and minimal tedium thanks to streamlining like stamina-regulated arrows and bombs. The dungeons demoed to the press (and shown to us readers) had a near-constant loop of combat, traversal and puzzle-solving, adding layers of complexity with each new room and approaching the dungeon from all angles (literally so with the wall-merging mechanic). I'm pumped!

I've read the most negative reviews and I think I can understand where they're coming from. It feels to me like this is a case where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, again thanks to that ethereal quality of pacing and progression that ties everything together so well. I don't have any nostalgia for ALttP beyond the stormy night intro, but I appreciate this game revisiting such a cherished framework and inverting its structure in such bold new ways.

Can't wait! Between this and Mario, Nov. 22 will be amazing!

BY2K

Membero Americo
Anyway, the battle I just fought was short as you can expect, and pretty intense, so I didn't computed the thing right away, but iirc, beautiful music when fighting in streetpass once again:
Adventure of Link

Could you get that on youtube, btw?

Anth0ny

Thanks for the impressions, John. I feel the same way about 3D Zeldas as you, so here's hoping I enjoy LBW as much as you did. I really hope this improved pacing transfers over to the Wii U Zelda as well.

Rich!

Animals is the best Floyd album by miles.

I would have come up with a quote from that, but nothing beat my wall one.

Nibel

iPOpCbgncRPNV.gif

BY2K

Membero Americo

RGlVpw6.gif

Anyone in UKGAF picking the Gold and Black XL? Cheapest I can find is £200 from amazon, which is what it is in dollars in the states... :/

hey my favorite 8-4er is my zelda opinion doppleganger cool

The Boat

I can echo these impressions. It cannot be stressed enough how fucking good the music is.

Yea but who listens to Neiteio :p

Good point! I'm kidding Neiteio. Sort of.

I guess I'm one of the lucky few who finds most of the main Zelda games to be phenomenal and TP and SS are no fucking exception. SS is by far the strongest entry to me when it comes to narrative and emotion, and it had killer dungeons and bosses as well. I love how much stuff it explained too.

Majora's Mask is actually the one that I can't get into. I love the atmosphere and the dungeons were okay, but after finally finishing it a couple of years ago, I still found myself not liking the time mechanic; I don't like to be in a hurry in these games. That wasn't the sole reason I didn't love the game or anything, but while people love the story in that game I feel like it's just sort of utterly pointless. I didn't get into the skull kid or Majora plot and I had no connection to Termina so I didn't really care what happened to it. :p

Top Bottom