• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

Neiteio

I won't argue your opinion so I'll just say that's a great post that sums up how you felt about it. I wish I had that kind of response to the game myself, but it's alright because there's so many other Zelda games that do do it for me. I do want to replay Majora's Mask just to sort of pay more attention to the aspects that people love about it.
To be fair, it is objective fact you get more involved, and with more characters, in Majora's Mask. This is due in large part to their changing interactions over three days and three nights -- there are simply more interactions to be had, with branching paths and consequences. It is also objective fact that the doomsday threat is made more apparent in MM than in any of the other Zelda games. Like I said, nearly every character brings up the doomsday threat in one way or another, often multiple times over the course of a three-day cycle. And this threat is plainly visible in the sky, on your HUD, and at the end of every 72 hours. MM is all about urgency, about a crisis to be averted. It's the only Zelda game where something is clearly at stake, where your acts of heroism have a clear-cut point. Other Zelda games may as well be about an "alleged" danger, since the only place that looks dangerous by game's end in other Zelda titles is the lair of the Big Bad himself (Ganon's Castle in OoT, Ganon's Tower in TWW, Ganon's Castle in TP, etc).

Oli

Does the instrumentation of this soundtrack remind anyone else of Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles?

I really hope they remake Majora's Mask for the 3DS because I'd like to give it another try. When it first came out, I really didn't care for it one bit (never finished either) and it ended up being one of my biggest disappointments (because I loved OoT so much and MM felt so different in ways I didn't enjoy like the time limit) and least favorite Zelda games. So if they remake it, I want to try it again and maybe I'll feel differently.

My favorite Zeldas are mostly A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, and Twilight Princess. I really liked Wind Waker and Skyward Sword as well, but I prefer the other three personally. And my least favorite Zeldas are actually Zelda 1, 2, and Majora's Mask (as of right now). I actually haven't played any handheld Zelda, but I will soon with this game (which I'm extremely excited about)! I own Link's Awakening DX (on the 3DS Eshop), but I just haven't gotten around to playing it yet. I've heard good things about that one.

Next Friday cannot come soon enough!

zroid

Banned
Does the instrumentation of this soundtrack remind anyone else of Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles?

Hmmm, not really... haven't played FFCC in ages though. I do love its soundtrack, so similarity wouldn't be a bad thing at all. FFCC uses a lot of very folksy, non-traditional instruments.

Hello.

Banned
Zelda Dungeon's walkthrough of the game is almost completed and it can be found here. Obviously it has TONS of spoilers but you can take a peek if you like.

I also don't know if it's been posted already, but the first 20 mins of the game is also online. Also has spoilers so watch at your own risk.

Zelda Dungeon's walkthrough of the game is almost completed and it can be found here. Obviously it has TONS of spoilers but you can take a peek if you like.

I also don't know if it's been posted already, but the first 20 mins of the game is also online. Also has spoilers so watch at your own risk.

EdyHKsL.gif

Gsnap

Majora's Mask is the only Zelda game where it feels like something is truly at stake. Each and every NPC has a name and a story, a private tragedy that can be averted. They're fleshed-out characters, not the disposable fodder of other Zelda games. And their personal woes aside, they all share concern about the falling moon. You're constantly reminded about the falling moon -- from the sight of it in the sky wherever you go, to the doomsday clock on the bottom of the screen, to the hellish red glow and gravitational rumbling as the moon fills up the sky on final day, to the ominous tune of a deserted Clock Town's final hours. And visually, it's incredible, from the evil eyes of the titular mask, to the twisted grin of the falling moon, to the neon pink hues of clouds lit up by the heat of the moon as it enters the atmosphere. To me, Majora's Mask is not only the most intense Zelda, and the most emotional, but also the most iconic and profound. Such a brilliant game.

Not just among Zelda games, but among games in general. MM probably has the most cohesive world in any video game. Thanks to the 3 day limit it really feels like a real world, and as such, really feels like there's a real threat to the world. People constantly talking about the moon. Certain people leaving town when things get bad. Certain people saying they don't believe in the end of the world. Certain people staying til the bitter end. A town meeting discussing what to do. And Link is stuck in a constant state of limbo in the depressing last three days of this world. There's no doubting that MM has the most sense of threat and urgency, and the most cohesive world than any Zelda game.

LBW seems to be amazing, and will probably have superior pacing and replayability on its side, but it probably won't match the world-building that MM mastered all those years ago.

Finished it earlier tonight. Wrote a few comments on my Twitter, so I'll just paste 'em here:

- Finished #ALBW. My favorite Zelda since Majora's Mask, maaaaybe since ALTTP. So, so good. Post-clear playtime:

BZQ7USqIQAATgXd.jpg

- Lots of powerful nostalgia for peeps who played ALTTP, and of course much of it comes from the music, which was just phenomenal.

- I wouldn't give it a 10, but prolly a 9 or 9.5. Big steps in the right direction with regard to (lack of) hand-holding and linearity.

- Dungeons could've been a little longer, I think. Or just give us more of 'em in exchange for them not being quite as large.

- This guy is listed in the credits as the composer, BTW. Dude deserves a medal: http://www.mariowiki.com/Ryo_Nagamatsu

Thank you for these. A quick question, are there items/equipment not found in the rental shop? You can put the answer in spoiler tags as it seems a bit spoilerish.

Thanks. :D

Conor 419

Banned
Also, this is the only ranking of Zelda games that matters

Every Zelda Game > Zelda II > Every Other Zelda Game > Phantom Hourglass.

Shinta

Banned
That awkward feeling ... when you haven't checked a thread for a couple days and then skip to the last page ....

Hello.

Banned
Thank you for these. A quick question, are there items/equipment not found in the rental shop? You can put the answer in spoiler tags as it seems a bit spoilerish.

Thanks. :D
Not that guy but yes, there are items you get that aren't in Ravio's shop.

Hello.

Banned
The only thing I'm extremely curious about is what Aonuma talked about regarding Majora's Mask in the game. The guy from GameXplain said he completed ALBW 100% and didn't find anything regarding it. Although if I recall correctly, Aonuma says you had to beat Hero Mode too.

I maybe in the minority for this one, but I always liked each Zelda as an individual experiencem and not as a whole.

Link to the Past introduced me to the series, Ocarina of Time took LTTP's formula into 3D, emphasizing on time travel and going to the future, Majora's Mask didn't follow the formula and focused more on sidequests and more involving NPCS, Wind Waker focused on traveling an ocean where things were meant to be discovered, and learning about the past many years before the great flood, Twilight Princess had a dark epic revolving around a kingdom surrounded in darkness, and Skyward Sword is the origin story of how Hyrule came to be.

I just enjoy them all for what they are. Sure some games do copy and paste the formula, but if you go into all of them with individual experiences instead of shared ones (I cannot stress how much I've heard TP is like OoT, although the similarities are there) you can just say "well yeah that Zelda was great because it had this that wasn't found in any other Zelda title" That's how I see it , anyway.

Synless

I'm just glad they made another handheld Zelda that seems to be worth a shit. Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass were pretty terrible.

Rich!

Are Tesco likely to have this in on release day?

I have to go into town on Friday, and I might as well pick it up whilst there rather than waiting for amazon. I mean, I'd be spending £2 more - but who gives a shit?

Either that or does anyone know GAME's in store price?

I hope LBW will encourage new Zelda fans to play LTTP and see where all the music, formula and all that jazz came from originally. It's a little bothersome where people play a new Zelda game and go "Yeah that tune is from Ocarina of Time!"

People. Need. To. Be. Informed.

hlhbk

So I have played through the first dungeon in LTTP and I just am not liking it nearly as much as I do the 3D Zelda's. Again I was a kid when this came out and love SNES games so I don't get why I am not liking it. Now I am not sure if I should even buy A Link Bewteen Two Worlds?

BY2K

Membero Americo
I..I remember 22 years ago, playing ALTTP and listening to Kakariko Village completely awestruck

this is it. This is the handheld game of the forever

christ i could cry right now

Wait until you boot the game for the first and get to the Title Screen.

Rich!

So I have played through the first dungeon in LTTP and I just am not liking it nearly as much as I do the 3D Zelda's. Again I was a kid when this came out and love SNES games so I don't get why I am not liking it. Now I am not sure if I should even buy A Link Bewteen Two Worlds?

Which dungeon? Castle or eastern palace? Regardless, the first two dungeons are slow. Just like with Ocarina of Time, the first three are starter levels

Dark World is where shit gets real.

Had this game pre-ordered online from GameStop. My plans got changed and long story short, I won't be in the location my game is getting delivered to for like a week. Emailed them yesterday to cancel my orderso I could instead pick it up in a store and get it on release day. Got an email today saying it was too late to cancel.
Damn

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Wait until you boot the game for the first and get to the Title Screen.

oh god, why are you teasing me like that when there are still five bleeding days

FIVE DAYS THAT WILL FEEL LIKE A LIFETIME

I don't even care if my copy doesn't get the treasure chest (it was not guaranteed), I just want the damn game

Rich!

Had this game pre-ordered online from GameStop. My plans got changed and long story short, I won't be in the location my game is getting delivered to for like a week. Emailed them yesterday to cancel my orderso I could instead pick it up in a store and get it on release day. Got an email today saying it was too late to cancel.
Damn

Buy from another place, and when you get home return it to gamestop? It'll still be sealed so they'll accept it.

hlhbk

Which dungeon? Castle or eastern palace? Regardless, the first two dungeons are slow. Just like with Ocarina of Time, the first three are starter levels

Dark World is where shit gets real.

I just got my ass kicked by the boss in the Eastern Palace. I dunno I know the Zelda games are not huge on story, but I loved the story in Ocarina of Time, and later 3d games. Does the stoy get better in LTTP after those first dungeons? Should I keep going? Will it eventually click for me?

spliced

I hope people that were complaining about the length aren't watching this kinda stuff.

"This puzzle I looked up the answer to isn't challenging at all".

Rich!

I just got my ass kicked by the boss in the Eastern Palace. I dunno I know the Zelda games are not huge on story, but I loved the story in Ocarina of Time, and later 3d games. Does the stoy get better in LTTP after those first dungeons? Should I keep going? Will it eventually click for me?

Why on earth are you playing a Zelda game for the story?

Either way, ALTTP has the exact same story progression as Ocarina of Time.

hlhbk

Why on earth are you playing a Zelda game for the story?

Might as well quit now, but it's your loss.

Again I loved the story in Ocarina Of TIme, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess.

I have heard that Ocarina Of Time is just a 3d remake of LTTP, so maybe that is why I am just not getting it?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

all i remember about ALTTP is
1) game is one of the best ever
2) story is lol

Top Bottom