• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

Majestad

Banned
I'd love if Nintendo released more of those treasure rooms as DLC. The Link/Wall mechanic is one of the best "gimmicks" in any Zelda game to date.

Teknoman

Just got to
Lorule
. Is that the official name of the
Dark
world, or do they just share the same theme and art style?

Just got to
Lorule
. Is that the official name of the
Dark
world, or do they just share the same theme and art style?
They just share the art and music and... basically everything but citizenry. It's the
Dark World
in everything but name and backstory.

Teknoman

They just share the art and music and... basically everything but citizenry. It's the
Dark World
in everything but name and backstory.

Man, the douche-chills I got when I first heard the overworld music in
Lorule
... best gaming moment this year!

Aw was hoping it was. Oh well, the music is still one of the best, and i'm definitely going to enjoy exploring it. Discovering an entire alternate world was always one of the biggest surprises for me as a kid in any game...glad I still feel the same way :p

y2dvd

A Majora's Mask sequel on the Wii U would make me buy a Wii U.

Fighting Shadow Link is actually more challenging than the entirety of Normal Mode lol.

I borrowed this game from a friend. Because he already finished it on normal, I started right away with hero mode.
I've heard that there are some small differences in
the ending
Will I miss anything if I don't
see the normal ending first or should I youtube it beforehand
?

Btw, loving this game. I'm at the last dungeon
of Lorule, I'm guessing Lorule Castle is the final dungeon
, and aside from the
baseball
minigame I enjoyed every minute of it.

Sorry if my question is already answered somewhere in this thread!

D-e-f-

Banned
I borrowed this game from a friend. Because he already finished it on normal, I started right away with hero mode.
I've heard that there are some small differences in
the ending
Will I miss anything if I don't
see the normal ending first or should I youtube it beforehand
?

Btw, loving this game. I'm at the last dungeon
of Lorule, I'm guessing Lorule Castle is the final dungeon
, and aside from the
baseball
minigame I enjoyed every minute of it.

Sorry if my question is already answered somewhere in this thread!

How about you watch the original ending on youtube AFTER watching the Hero Mode ending? If you care that much about noticing the differences, do you really think it's a smart idea to spoil the ending beforehand?

Sure, that works, too. I was just afraid
it might have been some kind of ending where they both belong together. Like, in "ending one" something happens and you're left with a cliffhanger and then you see the conclusion in "ending 2".

If the difference is just some small little detail, then I'm in no hurry. Maybe I'll leave it for a future playthrough of normal mode (if I ever buy my own copy for example).

afoni

Banned
I skipped the ending cut scene in my hero run because I've been spoiled by classic English literature and don't care for a repeat watch of bad story.

:3

afoni

Banned
Would you rather Link brood grimly over 30 years as he watches Zelda marry a much more suitable man?
No, I'd rather have Link watch as his five daughters are married off to various men, expressing his apathy towards the gossip his wife spouts day in and day out about the goings on of the lives of those in the Hyrulean gentry.

Hmm I need the final two master ores... I wonder if they are hidden in temples or other areas?

One is hidden
in the temples

The other one is in the
area in Lorule
where you
got one of the special optional items in ALTP

If you want to know where exactly:
The invisibility cloak/ the Lorule graveyard

Anteo

Aw was hoping it was. Oh well, the music is still one of the best, and i'm definitely going to enjoy exploring it. Discovering an entire alternate world was always one of the biggest surprises for me as a kid in any game...glad I still feel the same way :p

Remember that in alttp
The Dark World is actually the Sacred Realm, a place similar to Hyrule where hyruleans store the Triforce. It seems that if you corrupt a place that looks like hyrule you end up with something that looks like the alttp darkworld.

Also about the overall story of the game (endgame spoilers)
I like how the twist is not only that Hilda was behind everything, but she actually setup everything to play out like the alttp story, with the hero going from temple to temple to become worthy of the Triforce of Courage. So basically (besides the fact that yuga almost ruined everything by trying to turn you into a paint) your adventure was part of the plan.

Okamid3n

If there's one thing I wish they didn't bring back, it's the floor tiles that fly at you. They were already just a boring exercise in mashing B before, but in this game, they're even more boring. Hold your shield up and stand still, literally nothing else to it. I don't understand what the point is. I guess it's there for people that forgot they have a shield?

Very minor nitpick, but still a flaw.

If there's one thing I wish they didn't bring back, it's the floor tiles that fly at you. They were already just a boring exercise in mashing B before, but in this game, they're even more boring. Hold your shield up and stand still, literally nothing else to it. I don't understand what the point is. I guess it's there for people that forgot they have a shield?

Not excusing it, but they were around in Link's Awakening, too. There, you could also just up the shield and sit tight (of course, that game also threw any pots at you that were left over).

Makai

oh my. i haven't been this enthralled with a Zelda game since windwaker.
Yeah, that's how I feel. I don't think it surpasses Wind Waker's charm or sense of discovery/exploration, but it certainly feels fresh and the painting puzzles are so cute.

ALBW is gamespot's game of the year, nice to see it get some awards, totally deserved!

I finally got my copy yesterday but haven't started the game yet (will do it today, and play it with all the confort this game deserves). I cant wait to do it!!

It's a shame there are so many people crying and whining because ALBTW won the GOTY.
haha

Forkball

A Link Between Worlds may be one of the best subtitles ever since it works on so many levels (end game spoilers):
the obvious link/connection between Hyrule and Lorule, the link between the 2D and 3D space, the character of Link being between the two worlds of Hyrule and Lorule and 2D and 3D, the Lorule Link being between the two worlds as well etc.
Extremely clever, especially when compared to Japan's lame LttP 2 title.

H3xum

Question regarding the collection quest:

What is going on at 100? I received the upgraded lantern/net from the game up north in Lorule. Is there an upgraded tunic or something at 100? It's not another iteration of the Master Sword, is it? I've poured over this game for awhile and am like 4 squid guys short but don't know if I want to take the time or not since I only play in short bursts, so I often time start looking for them, find nothing, and then quit discouraged

Madouu

Question regarding the collection quest:

What is going on at 100? I received the upgraded lantern/net from the game up north in Lorule. Is there an upgraded tunic or something at 100? It's not another iteration of the Master Sword, is it? I've poured over this game for awhile and am like 4 squid guys short but don't know if I want to take the time or not since I only play in short bursts, so I often time start looking for them, find nothing, and then quit discouraged

You get the upgraded spin attack at 100
. Collecting the baby maiamais shouldn't be too hard as long as you are able to spot where they are. I think if it starts feeling like a chore, you shouldn't bother with it. Make sure to use the map telling you in which zone they are hiding and look for the audio clues.

I finally got my copy yesterday but haven't started the game yet (will do it today, and play it with all the confort this game deserves). I cant wait to do it!!

It's a shame there are so many people crying and whining because ALBTW won the GOTY.
haha

Enjoy the ride!

If this is an indicator of what the wii-u edition will be like, then we're in for a treat.

I don't know if I want the Wii U version to be like this game, but I would be in for a line of games in this style. If they turn "Zelda: A Link to Blah Blah" into Zelda's version of New Super Mario, I'd be pretty happy with that.

I don't know if I want the Wii U version to be like this game, but I would be in for a line of games in this style. If they turn "Zelda: A Link to Blah Blah" into Zelda's version of New Super Mario, I'd be pretty happy with that.

get back to us when the fourth one rolls around.

Anyway, I played this at the Nintendo World Store the other day. The 60fps was very obvious. It was nuts.

FrankCaron

Gold Member
So I posted a thread about making a decision between Luigi's Mansion 2 and Mario Dream Team. There was an undercurrent in the thread that I was a douchenozzle because I didn't have any interest in ALBW.

Truth be told, I'm not much of a Zelda guy. I never had an SNES or a N64, and thus I never got into LTTP or Ocarina. I ended up playing the GBA remake of LTTP and enjoyed it but didn't beat it and wasn't blown away. I never played Ocarina outside of a few dabblings. In fact, the only Zelda I ever really liked was Wind Waker, which I played on the Gamecube but only beat recently on the Wii U. I loved its exploration and the open ocean but it is in no way on my list of "best games of all time".

Ergo, I had no intention to buy ALBW.

However, for whatever reason, with GAF's sentiment echoing in my mind, I ended up taking a chance and buying ALBW instead of the aformentioned games. And boy, am I glad that I did. I beat the game last night, and it has quickly shot up the ranks of not just my favourite Zelda game but one of my favourite games of all time.

Yes, it's easy, and yes, it's a bit on the short side from what I understand compared to other entries in the series, but goddamn if it wasn't fun to play from moment zero to credits roll. Even the Streetpass feature is neat. The freedom to take your own path is amazing, the rougelike-esque nature of the rental system is great (I actually think it'd be even better if you couldn't buy items and own them outright at all), and I simply couldn't help but finish it. Dat pacing made it so enjoyable to do so, as did the lack of tutorials and overbearing "cinematic experiences".

Totally deserves to be GOTY.

Questions to those who beat it/are further in:

I literally just got started in the quest of finding the seven or so sages, and have the temples marked out in my map. Two questions to whoever can answer them:

1. Is there a recommended order of temples? I know the media has emphasized that you can do them in whichever order you want, but if there's a recommended one I'd follow it.

2. Where do I get gloves to move the bigger rocks? Are they given further into the story or can I do something to get them now?

FrankCaron

Gold Member
Questions to those who beat it/are further in:
1. Is there a recommended order of temples? I know the media has emphasized that you can do them in whichever order you want, but if there's a recommended one I'd follow it.

2. Where do I get gloves to move the bigger rocks? Are they given further into the story or can I do something to get them now?
Do the Sand/Desert dungeon first (edit: as early as possible). Answers both questions.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Super weak spoilers concerning dungeon order and items:
You need an item you get after Thieves' Hideout (the one in Lorule Kakariko, and also the suggested "first" dungeon) to go to the Desert Dungeon.
Also, try to make Swamp Palace one of the last.
The item you get there takes away a lot of the little challenge there is.

Top Bottom