• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

rupeerushperfecttiming_zps29307b46.png

too bad i only got like green rupees so my score was small

Not

Banned
I'm really glad I got this game. Worth the whole 3DS purchase in my opinion. Plus it washed a lot of Skyward Sword out of my mouth

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
The cucco mini games. I was screaming and yelling the whole time playing the mini games. An experience more intense than any boss battles I've faced in this game and I'm about half way through the game already lol. Fat cuccos omg ! At least I got the important prize from it already. Too chicken (ha !) to play the Endless mode...

Anth0ny

I finished the game today.

I'm in the process of writing up a full review, but for now I'll say this:

It is the best game on the 3DS, and one of the best games I've played over the last 10 years. I wouldn't have put it down if it didn't come out literally when I started my exam period. I was finally able to blast through the final two dungeons yesterday and today.

This is the best Zelda since Wind Waker. Possibly the best since Majora's Mask. It is an instant classic; a game I know I will still be playing 10 years down the road, which is something I can't say about Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword or the DS Zeldas. It's that good.

God I have so much more to say. This game is fucking INCREDIBLE, and while I still have some thinking to do (3D World, TLOU and GTA V), I think it's safe to say it's my GOTY. Didn't think I'd be able to say that about an Aonuma produced Zelda in 2013, but there you have it. If they transfer some of these ideas to the Wii U Zelda and go into it with the same mindset they did with LBW, that has the potential to be a very special game.

WatTsu

Finished it last night. So great.

Also, fun fact - this is the first Zelda I have ever finished. Came closest with Link to the Past back in the 90s and Link's Awakening but for whatever reason I got sidetracked and couldn't see them through to the end.

This one, though, this one is special.

Koozek

Question regarding the collection quest:

What is going on at 100? I received the upgraded lantern/net from the game up north in Lorule. Is there an upgraded tunic or something at 100? It's not another iteration of the Master Sword, is it? I've poured over this game for awhile and am like 4 squid guys short but don't know if I want to take the time or not since I only play in short bursts, so I often time start looking for them, find nothing, and then quit discouraged

I just placed a map marker (those colored pins) everywhere I heard a Maimai that I couldn't reach yet, so I could easily come back later. Made it really easy for me.

Chitown B

I'm really glad I got this game. Worth the whole 3DS purchase in my opinion. Plus it washed a lot of Skyward Sword out of my mouth

Skyward Sword got 9's everywhere, yet people seem to hate it. I haven't played it but that seems odd to me.

Omega

Banned
my friend just told me about the secret boss. I don't use street pass..I don't even take my 3DS with me when I go out. :(

As for dungeons, I'd recommend you should start off with Thieves, Desert and Swamp. After that it really doesn't matter.

Skyward Sword got 9's everywhere, yet people seem to hate it. I haven't played it but that seems odd to me.

Skyward Sword is probably my favorite 3D Zelda. Just blew me away from start to finish. The common complaints I hear range from "it's too different" all the way to "more of the same," so I'm not sure which criticisms are valid anymore with this series. I think you're going to hear this with every Zelda game from now on. Just ignore it, play the game, and decide for yourself if you like it or not.

Chitown B

I don't understand the point of leveling up some of the items/weapons. Like for instance the sand rod. It's not like it makes more sand.

heyf00L

I don't understand the point of leveling up some of the items/weapons. Like for instance the sand rod. It's not like it makes more sand.

The sand pillars are apparently permanent until you use it again. Yeah, not very useful.

But the upgrade on the boomerang made it actually useful. So there's that.

I have 99 Maiamais. Although I also don't have whatever the 10th item is that can be upgraded.

lol, the amount of hate GameSpot and the video on Youtube is getting greatly amuses me. A Link Between Worlds is an amazing game, and well deserving of Game of the Year. It might not be my exact choice (it's VERY close, though), but I'm really happy to see it win an award this year (handheld games get overlooked so often).

Anteo

The sand pillars are apparently permanent until you use it again. Yeah, not very useful.

I have 99 Maiamais. Although I also don't have whatever the 10th item is that can be upgraded.

Actually you do =P

Moff

Oh. Well I guess I should look for that last one. It's in the Lorule swamp somewhere. I looked around, but I haven't even heard the squeak yet, and it's not that big of a place.

have you got all the heart containers? there is a maimai in a cave there en route to a heart container. thats why you dont hear it in the overworld.

It's the Zelda cycle. When the new Zelda is unveiled the hate will probably move there and SS will suddenly be universally loved.

Except it won't because SS was shit and the Cycle doesn't exist.

3D Zelda games have just gotten worse with every installment. So the last one always seems better by comparison.

Omega

Banned
what is the point of upgrading weapons?

i couldn't even tell a difference between most, then again I barely even used any of them outside of dungeons.

what is the point of upgrading weapons?

i couldn't even tell a difference between most, then again I barely even used any of them outside of dungeons.

The upgraded ones are much more powerful.
3 arrows instead of one, much bigger blast radius on wands, etc

Except it won't because SS was shit and the Cycle doesn't exist.

3D Zelda games have just gotten worse with every installment. So the last one always seems better by comparison.

I dunno, I liked SS a lot more than TP. Also, MM is not worse than OOT.

I dunno, I liked SS a lot more than TP. Also, MM is not worse than OOT.

MM is slightly worse than OOT due to a severe lack of dungeons. But it's near legendary otherwise.

WW was mostly great with a slight lack of content and nerfed challenge.

TP was big, varied, pretty, but dreadfully boring. The pacing and gameplay "hooks" were just miles away from the tightness of previous entries.

And SS somehow ended up a worse game than TP with its entirely trivial overworld, endless and uninspired re-use of environments and N64 era design. (Banjo Kazooie wants its music note collecting back.)

ALBW won a GOTY award?!? I am very pleased with that!
May the game sells tons of copies, it will remind Nintendo how Zelda gams can be good without stupid tutorials and handholding.

Not

Banned

I really liked it on the first play through, especially the story and controls. Well, except for the Stressful Stress Realms, linearity, Fi, and excessive padding. And when you compare the pacing and rapid, exploratory gameplay in this game to the gameplay in that one, it looks even worse in retrospect. So, yeah.

khaaan

So I'm halfway through the final dungeon I chose to tackle and I have to say that this game is phenomenal. They start the game with a reasonably short intro scene and then basically put you right to it. The pace that Link moves at is fantastic, he's speedy enough that traveling doesn't feel like a chore but when you have to make a longer trip the warp points are almost perfectly spread apart. The ability to tackle dungeons in any order is probably one of my favorite changes. I tackled them in the non-traditional order and it was fun to go through a complicated one and follow up with a comparative cakewalk.

Now, the cons. The problem of many weapons not seeing much use outside of their dungeon is still present. Personally I never saw it as that big of a problem because I didn't mind but this time around I really did end up using my items a lot more outside of their dungeons. This issue still remains though. The big one for me was the lack of meaningful sidequests, Skyward Sword had the same problem. In the context of this game, something "simple" like (mild NPC spoilers)
helping the merchant man in the cave reunite with his wife or having the rumors told by the guy in the woods culminate in something more than just rumors
. The other complaint I had with the game is that the world was essentially ripped from A Link To The Past. Having already played A Link To The Past, I feel like I lost the sense of exploring a brand new world. Although it's true for new players as well because the entire map is laid out but I still had that deeper knowledge about the layout and went in with preconceived expectations.

Not

Banned
So I'm halfway through the final dungeon I chose to tackle and I have to say that this game is phenomenal. They start the game with a reasonably short intro scene and then basically put you right to it. The pace that Link moves at is fantastic, he's speedy enough that traveling doesn't feel like a chore but when you have to make a longer trip the warp points are almost perfectly spread apart. The ability to tackle dungeons in any order is probably one of my favorite changes. I tackled them in the non-traditional order and it was fun to go through a complicated one and follow up with a comparative cakewalk.

Now, the cons. The problem of many weapons not seeing much use outside of their dungeon is still present. Personally I never saw it as that big of a problem because I didn't mind but this time around I really did end up using my items a lot more outside of their dungeons. This issue still remains though. The big one for me was the lack of meaningful sidequests, Skyward Sword had the same problem. In the context of this game, something "simple" like (mild NPC spoilers)
helping the merchant man in the cave reunite with his wife or having the rumors told by the guy in the woods culminate in something more than just rumors
. The other complaint I had with the game is that the world was essentially ripped from A Link To The Past. Having already played A Link To The Past, I feel like I lost the sense of exploring a brand new world. Although it's true for new players as well because the entire map is laid out but I still had that deeper knowledge about the layout and went in with preconceived expectations.

The side quest thing for sure. I miss Oot, MM, and WW's tons of awesome side quests. Collecting "gratitude crystals" just doesn't cut it

Anth0ny

It's the Zelda cycle. When the new Zelda is unveiled the hate will probably move there and SS will suddenly be universally loved.

Ok... So LBW is out. Where's all the SS praise?

Bottom line is SS is a very flawed game. TP didn't get a ton of love when SS came out either because that game was flawed too and the Zelda cycle doesn't exist.

Link Between Worlds should destroy the Zelda cycle myth once and for all, because it is far superior to every Zelda since Wind Waker, and that seems to be the consensus, too. People were shitting on SS right of the bat. That doesn't seem to be the case with LBW.

Alright, finished the game for a second time on Hero Mode. I feel comfortable with a new ranking (just doing a top five though):

1. Twilight Princess
2. Skyward Sword
3. Ocarina of Time
4. A Link Between Worlds
5. A Link to the Past

Chitown B

ahh. I never used the sand rod regularly but I just assumed it didn't change. Interesting.

Man, I'm LOVING this game! I just completed the
Swamp Palace(I know, still early)
, and I am absolutely loving the
non-linearity
of the game so far. From
letting you choose which dungeons
to the actual layout of the dungeons
(Swamp Palace at least)
, this is the first non-linear Zelda I've played since the original NES title.

I seriously hope that this is the direction they're taking the series and Zelda Wii U. :)

This has become my top 3 favorite 2D Zeldas:

1) Zelda II - Adventure of Link NES
2) Zelda I NES
3) Zelda - Link Between Worlds

DaBoss

Ok... So LBW is out. Where's all the SS praise?

Bottom line is SS is a very flawed game. TP didn't get a ton of love when SS came out either because that game was flawed too and the Zelda cycle doesn't exist.

Link Between Worlds should destroy the Zelda cycle myth once and for all, because it is far superior to every Zelda since Wind Waker, and that seems to be the consensus, too. People were shitting on SS right of the bat. That doesn't seem to be the case with LBW.
I think you should re-evaluate why you put Wind Waker on this pedestal of yours. It really is a game with a lot more issues than any Zelda game ever released. terrible pacing, insane amounts of sailing, terrible fetch quest, most of its dungeons are mediocre at best, and lacks in content. What it has going for it is graphics, music (what Zelda game doesn't have this going for it?), great final boss, interesting set of characters, and interesting story.

I think TP is much much better than Wind Waker since it is in a very simplistic way, an OoT redux with its only major flaws being the boring opening and tear collecting.

SS for me is a blur, so I need to replay it to give any opinions on it.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Whoa! Look at all those dislike, man some people just get butt hurt over anything.

Whoa let's not get too crazy now, Link Between Worlds is a fun game but it also has it shares of problems too, like it leaning far to heavily on Link to the Past, rental items, dungeon puzzles, freaking Ravio, etc.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Hey guys, I just finished Turtle Rock in Lorule. However, there is a missing chess in the main level, 1F that doesn't appear to be where my compass indicates. I know in B1 there is also a similar chess which contains
Hylian Shield
but I cannot figure out what needs to be done for the 1F one. Any help would be appreciated :)

Item Box

Hey guys, I just finished Turtle Rock in Lorule. However, there is a missing chess in the main level, 1F that doesn't appear to be where my compass indicates. I know in B1 there is also a similar chess which contains
Hylian Shield
but I cannot figure out what needs to be done for the 1F one. Any help would be appreciated :)

iirc you gotta
kill all the enemies in the room for it to appear

Anth0ny

I think you should re-evaluate why you put Wind Waker on this pedestal of yours. It really is a game with a lot more issues than any Zelda game ever released. terrible pacing, insane amounts of sailing, terrible fetch quest, most of its dungeons are mediocre at best, and lacks in content. What it has going for it is graphics, music (what Zelda game doesn't have this going for it?), great final boss, interesting set of characters, and interesting story.

I think TP is much much better than Wind Waker since it is in a very simplistic way, an OoT redux with its only major flaws being the boring opening and tear collecting.

SS for me is a blur, so I need to replay it to give any opinions on it.

-the pacing isn't that bad in Wind Waker. The game never felt slow to me, with the obvious exception being the triforce quest. This isn't the case with Skyward Sword or Twilight Princess. Those games had overly long cutscenes, overly long tutorial dialogue, opening sequences that lasted far too long, bad partner characters (Fi especially)... the list goes on. Those games were slooooooooooooooooooow. The sailing was never a problem for me, especially after getting the warp song. The changes made in Wind Waker HD also speed things up significantly.

-Wind Waker's fetch quest ain't got SHIT on TP and SS's fetch questS.

-I never understood the hate for the Wind Waker dungeons. While I wouldn't call any of them the best in the Zelda series, the Tower of Gods, Wind Temple and Earth Temple were very strong. It definitely doesn't lack in content, either... you ever try to get pictographs of every character? lol

To me, Wind Waker had two major flaws:

1. Triforce quest/end game. It just really wasn't fun going around buying charts and looking for chests at the bottom of the ocean. The boss battle rematches weren't so hot either. Even though they touched it up in the HD version, it's still something that can be improved upon imo... or they should have just taken it out of the game altogether.

2. The game was very obviously rushed. An extension of #1, really. Wind Waker very clearly had a dungeon ripped out of it, and that sucks.

Besides that, I really think the game is sublime. The art style is far and away the best of the Zelda series, and in my opinion it is the best looking game EVER made. The music is also amongst the best in the Zelda series, far better than anything TP and SS offered.

Whoa let's not get too crazy now, Link Between Worlds is a fun game but it also has it shares of problems too, like it leaning far to heavily on Link to the Past, rental items, dungeon puzzles, freaking Ravio, etc.

I don't see any of those things as flaws/problems.

Bishop89

If I loved 3d dot game heroes and the only zelda games ive played is one of the ds zelda games and didn't like it (because of forced touchscreen controls) and only about a hour of OOT because it kinda bored me, would I like this game?

Majestad

Banned
If I loved 3d dot game heroes and the only zelda games ive played is one of the ds zelda games and didn't like it (because of forced touchscreen controls) and only about a hour of OOT because it kinda bored me, would I like this game?

You will think is one of the greatest games of all time. Is that good.

Just finished Tower of Hera

Wow, the game is amazing. Exactly as people has been saying.

And it's a lot better in movement on the 3DS screen than the screenshots.
I tried to post a screenshot on Miiverse and the screenshot looks so ugly, makes the game look like crap. A shame, because the game is actually kinda of good looking.

I'm loving listening the soundtrack of this game. I'm playing with a good pair of headphones. Man, this soundtrack is the best. They took every music from ALTTP and made them better!

The moment I started the game and I heard the good quality nostalgic music, I restarted the game only to appreciate it with my headphones. There's lots of sound effects that are hard to hear without headphones too. I think if you play this game without them, you will lose lot's of sound details.

The game is really fun. I spent hours wandering the map searching treasures, secrets, caves, until I finally got to Tower of Hera.

I just wish the game was a little harder. I would enjoy it even more.

Oh, I can't turn of the 3D in this game. It makes the game so beautiful and alive, so good looking, that I prefer to see the battery being eaten faster just to see this beautiful 60 FPS 3D in movement.

jepense

Finally had the time to sit down and finish the game. I am very pleased with it. It's as good as LTTP, I'd say. Majora is and probably will always be my favorite Zelda, but this is top tier, here.
The DS Zeldas are very different from all the others, and the 3D Zeldas are different from the 2D ones. This one does not have touch controls and it's very fast paced. OoT doesn't have as slow a start as the other 3D Zeldas, but LBW lets you loose even much faster. (Although LTTP has probably the best intro of them all.)

DaBoss

-the pacing isn't that bad in Wind Waker. The game never felt slow to me, with the obvious exception being the triforce quest. This isn't the case with Skyward Sword or Twilight Princess. Those games had overly long cutscenes, overly long tutorial dialogue, opening sequences that lasted far too long, bad partner characters (Fi especially)... the list goes on. Those games were slooooooooooooooooooow. The sailing was never a problem for me, especially after getting the warp song. The changes made in Wind Waker HD also speed things up significantly.

-Wind Waker's fetch quest ain't got SHIT on TP and SS's fetch questS.

-I never understood the hate for the Wind Waker dungeons. While I wouldn't call any of them the best in the Zelda series, the Tower of Gods, Wind Temple and Earth Temple were very strong. It definitely doesn't lack in content, either... you ever try to get pictographs of every character? lol

To me, Wind Waker had two major flaws:

1. Triforce quest/end game. It just really wasn't fun going around buying charts and looking for chests at the bottom of the ocean. The boss battle rematches weren't so hot either. Even though they touched it up in the HD version, it's still something that can be improved upon imo... or they should have just taken it out of the game altogether.

2. The game was very obviously rushed. An extension of #1, really. Wind Waker very clearly had a dungeon ripped out of it, and that sucks.

Besides that, I really think the game is sublime. The art style is far and away the best of the Zelda series, and in my opinion it is the best looking game EVER made. The music is also amongst the best in the Zelda series, far better than anything TP and SS offered.
- Twilight Princess did not have long tutorials dialogue. I don't even remember any tutorials except maybe the Slingshot part which was fairly funny. Opening sequence was really long as I've said before. It easily had the best partner character (Midna). Has 8+1 (good to great, City in the Sky is easily one of the best in the series) dungeons. Did not feel padded. Twilight Princess ties to keep balance in the time between dungeons. It does have some long cutscenes, but for the most part it isn't a problem, and AFAIK, you can skip them.

Wind Waker's pace drops when you are going to get the 3rd pearl, it felt unnecessarily padded due to the fact they did not have a water dungeon. Sailing back and forth to be able to even get into the 5th dungeon and 6th dungeon was not appreciated. Then the Triforce quest brings everything to a halt and requires you to grind for rupees.

- Twilight Princess's tear-collecting crap was annoying, but may only consist of maybe an hour? 45 min? Maybe even less of the total game playtime. Wind Waker's was a good portion of the game and when one is just about feeling they want to finish the game, but the Triforce fetch quest brings it to a big halt. Skyward Sword's tear-collecting thing was quite interesting, one of the highlights for the game for me. The music note thing was not good. The backtracking for some items was also not good. The Wind Waker's may not be as bad as Skyward Sword (I need to replay it since I don't remember much), but is easily worse than TP's.

- Tower of the Gods is my favorite dungeon in Wind Waker, but it had the worst opening ever. It was really slow, but the rest of the dungeon is great. The Earth Tempe and Wind Temple used the same "gimmick" of controlling the other person who were annoying to control and required the Wind Waker to be constantly be used for 2 different songs (one for controlling the other person, and the other for getting rid of those stones). And I haven't mentioned the fact that the Wind Waker was really shitty to use. You have to use it to warp, and then use it to change the wind (WWHD fixes this I hear, I never played it since I don't have a Wii U). The Wind Waker made the game go very slow at times due to constant use.

Yea, I got almost all character models in the museum thing, which was a fun sidequest (except the fact that you can only have 3 pics at a time; WWHD fixes this too though) and reading the information about the character was interesting. However, that doesn't fill the void of content compared to that of TP had (not sure about SS) especially for the main part of the game.

I agree, I think WWHD looks really good, best iteration of Link and best looking Zelda game ever made so far, has really good songs, but better than TP isn't something I could say. They both just have really good songs. I think you should listen to TP songs again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox2D-EJoB0w

Both of their soundtracks offer a different feeling. WW's is joyful, while TP's is more darker/depressing.

Sorry for the wall of text lol.

Seik

Banned
Finished the game yesterday.

Well done, Ninty, I never expected a single second that Ravio was Lorule's Link, I said damn. :D

balohna

Finished the game yesterday.

Well done, Ninty, I never expected a single second that Ravio was Lorule's Link, I said damn. :D

Same.
I didn't expect Hilda to have nefarious intentions either, then after that was revealed I didn't expect her to reveal it was out of desperation and she didn't want to hurt anyone... surprisingly thought out story from a game I did not play at all for the story.
I wasn't exactly analyzing the plot as I was playing though.

daftstar

This is my first Zelda game and I like what I'm playing so far. I've been stuck a few times (ex: didn't know how to swim) and some of the tough enemies (that fire breathing centaur thing) kept wrecking me. I'm adjusting to using the items more frequently instead of mashing the sword attacks now.

The dungeons are really well-designed too (on Turtle Rock so far). Btw I have a question about the Maiamai babies, how do you get the ones on top of trees?

isny

napkin dispenser
So seeing all of you complaining about how the triforce quest in WW was, now I don't feel as bad that I gave up with the game at that point...

Top Bottom