• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

CassSept

You can't upgrade your items if you are renting them.

Oh, I had not run into item upgrades yet, or read much about the game for that matter, tried to stay spoiler-free. Is there any point though? SS upgrade system was nifty and all, but on my first playthrough I did not even bother, there was no point, I only upgraded them during second quest for completion's sake.

redcrayon

Due to Nintendo's release schedule (ALBW just a week before SM3DW, really) I've decided to put this game off until Holiday break. Well, it's nearly here, so I finally got the game this weekend and opened it today! So far my reaction is very positive, the game surprised me even with all the praise it had gotten. It's truly a real deal!

First quick and dirty impressions after 2.5 hours.

- the visuals are surprisingly great. In the reveal the game looked pretty ugly. The 3DS trailer gave me some hope but I did not expect that. Crisp framerate, vibrant colors, the game does look GREAT. It looks even better in 3D, though sadly I'm unable to play with 3D on for extended periods of time. Some of the effects really surprised me. Lost Woods were beautiful.

- soundtrack is great-to-amazing.
Lorule theme, damn. Also, Yuga has a theme song. SONG. I was blown away when chants of his name came on during the fight in Hyrule Castle

- I'm not too sold on the rental system. It's an interesting idea, but there's absolutely no risk-reward involved in it. The game is ridiculously easy and thus renders ability to buy items moot. Rupees are raining everywhere, more so than in any Zelda before. I had enough rupees to rent the entire game 3 times over after the third dungeon, so even if I score an accidental death this will be a minor inconvenience. And I don't expect it to improve on that front - the open-ended nature makes me think that for the most part game won't be ramping difficulty up, quite the opposite (as the dungeons can be tackled in any order, so I'm guessing they are of similar difficulty, so more heart containers = easier game).

- Pacing is insane. The game truly is quick, all bullshit aside, to-the-point. Perhaps even too quick, I'm kind of troubled at the speed at which I'm getting through the game.
2.5 hours and I'm already in Lorule? Jesus.

Overall, I'm cautiously optimistic as of now. The game is great, but it's by far the easiest Zelda that is not Wind Waker. I guess I did die going through Wind Waker for the first time though, so that's to be considered. Maybe when I explore the world a little in search of heart containers it will be more of a challenge, but I'm not holding my breath on Althat front.
Just regarding length, there's a bit more to do to get into the Lorule dungeons than the initial ones. Also, once you have the items, you tend to spend more time exploring as you can get into caves/optional treasure dungeons/find the little miamal things etc. You spend a lot of time jumping between both worlds to access stuff which takes more time too.

I imagine if you don't go looking for extras like heart pieces etc, you are probably on track for a 15 hour finish. If you want to collect everything and explore every nook and cranny, it's more like 20 hours.

I have to admit, I love the return to the early games of 'here's a sword, off you go!'. Combat and travel is quick and arcadey, and there's something to do or see on every screen. Grand stuff.

Agree with you on rentals- it needed to be more expensive to rent/buy, or more difficult. On the subject of difficulty, the
tunics are a bit too good as well, I don't think anything needs to have damage reduced to a quarter of a heart,
it feels a bit pointless when hearts and fairies are very common. What I would have done is made the
Blue Tunic halve the damage you take to a minimum of one heart, effectively protecting you more from stronger attacks but not making weak attacks quite so insignificant.

Edit: added spoiler just in case

Oh, I had not run into item upgrades yet, or read much about the game for that matter, tried to stay spoiler-free. Is there any point though? SS upgrade system was nifty and all, but on my first playthrough I did not even bother, there was no point, I only upgraded them during second quest for completion's sake.

I am not if there is a point and I hope I didn't spoil you on the upgrades =/

Majestad

Banned
Just beat this game. Absolutely incredible. Games like this should win all the awards available and deserve all the praise they get. Why? Pure gameplay. Zero filler, zero bullshit. Just fantastic gameplay combined with fantastic level design from beginning to end. The rest is just gravy.

This is as must have as it gets on a platform.

Upgrading items makes them a lot better. It's not required though. If the game were harder it would be. I'm playing on hero mode with no bottles or upgrades that make things easier so the upgrades help a lot

Chitown B

I feel like I'm missing a lot of stuff, and I only have two sages left. Missing, that I can surmise:

Invis cape? Butterfly net? Great Spin? (above). Also two more master sword forging metals in Lorule, I think.

Anteo

I feel like I'm missing a lot of stuff, and I only have two sages left. Missing, that I can surmise:

Invis cape? Butterfly net? Great Spin? (above). Also two more master sword forging metals in Lorule, I think.

1. What?
2. Yes
____Yes____
_________Yes_________

Smellycat

I finally beat the game today! I have never played ALTTP (I know I know..) so I can't really compare it to that game, but I can say that this game is AMAZING!! The dungeon designs, the bosses, the items, the music, they are all great! I didn't want the game to end, and I am starting
hero mode
ASAP

The fact that Ravio is Lorule's Link is genius, and I actually gasped when they revealed it haha. It makes perfect sense and I can't believe I didn't realize that
. I loved the implementation of wall merging and it allowed for some very cool gameplay moments. I wish that
there was more wall fighting like in the last boss

My stats:

Rupees: 26464
Times defeated: 1
Time: 24 hours (I have never played ALTTP, so I took my time, and I also pretty much finished everything)

I do have a question though about the item menu. I still have 3 spots open, but I have no idea what I am missing. Are they going to remain empty?

Anteo

I finally beat the game today! I have never played ALTTP (I know I know..) so I can't really compare it to that game, but I can say that this game is AMAZING!! The dungeon designs, the bosses, the items, the music, they are all great! I didn't want the game to end, and I am starting
hero mode
ASAP

The fact that Ravio is Lorule's Link is genius, and I actually gasped when they revealed it haha. It makes perfect sense and I can't believe I didn't realize that
. I loved the implementation of wall merging and it allowed for some very cool gameplay moments. I wish that
there was more wall fighting like in the last boss

My stats:

Rupees: 26464
Times defeated: 1
Time: 24 hours (I have never played ALTTP, so I took my time, and I also pretty much finished everything)

I do have a question though about the item menu. I still have 3 spots open, but I have no idea what I am missing. Are they going to remain empty?

You may be missing:

- The two fruits you can buy at the stores. Those use a itemslot each.
- Zelda Paint Light Arrow. That slot will be empty until you start the last part of the boss fight.

Also, after this game, it will be hard to go back to alttp since links handles much better in this game. You should really play it anyways, (safe spoiler, but just in case)
the mechanic to go to that other world is completly different in that game.

Edit:

My girlfriend is getting me this game for Christmas! really excited! Hopefully it is as good as the pre DS Zelda games!

It is worthy of the name Triforce of the Gods 2.

Smellycat

You may be missing:

- The two fruits you can buy at the stores. Those use a itemslot each.
- Zelda Paint Light Arrow. That slot will be empty until you start the last part of the boss fight.

Also, after this game, it will be hard to go back to alttp since links handles much better in this game. You should really play it anyways, (safe spoiler, but just in case)
the mechanic to go to that other world is completly different in that game.

Edit:

It is worthy of the name Triforce of the Gods 2.

Thank you! That is exactly what I was missing. I completely forgot about the fruits lol. And I will definitely play ALTTP on the WiiU

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The movement speed in this game makes it so hard to go back to older 2D Zeldas.

Smellycat

I didn't even realize this until now, but
Sheerow is Ravio's Navi or "helper"
lol

i have no idea where to go or what to do and it's great.

I know that feeling! It is pretty great.
3AQmK.gif

Zing

Banned
This game triggered a 3DS purchase from me after spending five minutes at a demo system. I've ignore the 3DS until now.

I'm only at the early tower dungeon, but I can already tell this game is great. I love being able to drop a pin on the map to note a heart piece or place to hammer, then coming back for it later.

The renting system does feel rather odd. It makes the items feel non-special. I wonder if they considered a hybrid system, where you first discover the item in a dungeon, but then it goes to the rental shop. I think having a limit on the number of items you could rent at one time might help also. If you could only take two items with you, you'd have to think about what you really need. Now, I just rent four or five at a time.

Anteo

This game triggered a 3DS purchase from me after spending five minutes at a demo system. I've ignore the 3DS until now.

I'm only at the early tower dungeon, but I can already tell this game is great. I love being able to drop a pin on the map to note a heart piece or place to hammer, then coming back for it later.

The renting system does feel rather odd. It makes the items feel non-special. I wonder if they considered a hybrid system, where you first discover the item in a dungeon, but then it goes to the rental shop. I think having a limit on the number of items you could rent at one time might help also. If you could only take two items with you, you'd have to think about what you really need. Now, I just rent four or five at a time.

1. You can change the color of the pin!
2. True, but that's the point, to allow the player to have all the items so there are fewer restricted areas.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
blimey, this game is really chock-full of hidden places. I was just mowing some bushes outside my house and bam, a mysterious hole

and Ice Cave is probably my favourite dungeon so far. So damn intricately designed, love it

Finally beat the game tonight. Really excellent game. I did predict Ravio's identity early on it seems, which wasn't too surprising as it seemed pretty obvious to me, but very cool nonetheless. Pretty great character. I didn't bother 100%ing it after all (got close but lost motivation) and didn't die even once, but I'd still say ALBW is one of my favorite 2D Zeldas. Just a really smooth, tightly designed game with refreshing nonlinearity and an awesome soundtrack.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I really can't believe people have positive feelings about Ravio. He's not awful or anything, but I don't see anything likable about him. Stop liking what I don't like!

Edit : And on a totally different note, you know what would have been awesome? If this game had the LTTP dialogue font. Like this:

D20UQ3M.png

I don't know if it's my favorite Zelda game (that might still be Ocarina of Time), but it's definitely my favorite portable one. I loved their use of the portrait mechanic and how it opened up so many ways to traverse the dungeon. I really feel like these were some of the best dungeons in the series, largely thanks to how everything seemed connected.

Majestad

Banned
Just like ALTTP set the standards for the many Zeldas after it, I think ALBW will do the same. That world structure, open world design needs to stay. Just imagine a giant 3D world to explore for Zelda U. It's gonna be incredible.

Just like ALTTP set the standards for the many Zeldas after it, I think ALBW will do the same. That world structure, open world design needs to stay. Just imagine a giant 3D world to explore for Zelda U. It's gonna be incredible.

Yeah I really hope they keep the open design of this game. It just worked incredibly well for me. Maybe not the rental system, but if they could tweak it for the better then who knows? I actually think this game surpassed ALTTP and I'm very decided to see where they go with Zelda U.

Just made it tithe Dark World in my game and beat the Thieve's Hideout dungeon. It's incredible for me to say this, but I think this game is every bit as good as its predecessor. I love how Nintendo rearranged all of the old tracks and added new dungeon themes that are on par with the classic soundtrack. This and Super Mario Galaxy have to be the two games in the past decade that really demonstrate the artistic mastery Nintendo is capable of producing.

redcrayon

I don't know if it's my favorite Zelda game (that might still be Ocarina of Time), but it's definitely my favorite portable one. I loved their use of the portrait mechanic and how it opened up so many ways to traverse the dungeon. I really feel like these were some of the best dungeons in the series, largely thanks to how everything seemed connected.
Yeah, the use of the painting mechanic is one of the most cohesive uses of a defining ability I've seen in a game. It's not a gimmick, it's used throughout the game, in so may different ways.

For travelling between worlds
Moving across gaps
Pushing objects off walls
Slipping through bars
Collecting items off walls
Attaching to moving blocks
Moving past boulders

Boss spoilers:
Attaching to a
shield in a boss fight
Hiding on the wall to KO a charging boss- brilliantly shown to you how to use it when Yuga does it to you in the first boss fight hours earlier. That's how you do a tutorial.
In the final battle

It's just awesome, used throughout the game in conjunction with other items, battles and puzzles, I can't even remember another item or ability in the series used in so many different ways, it challenges you to look for ways to use it. It makes things like the train in Spirit Tracks or the hat in Minish Cap look like really basic mechanics (no pun intended)

One of my favourites was in the last dungeon:
rupees and hearts on the wall are often a hint to try the wall merge
Spotting a chest on a low platform surrounded by a wall, I noticed that, if I could only merge over from higher up, I could drop onto it, but all the candles got it the way. You have to drop down from the floor above onto an even higher platform, then merge halfway around the floor.

CassSept

Hm.

I'm starting to think choosing first Lorule dungeon completely at random wasn't the greatest idea. Going from Hyrule straight into Turtle Rock turned out to be... quite a difficulty spike.

Bumhat

I've just finished the game and I have to say this is easily my GOTY, the whole experience was just fantastic. This is the first Zelda in ages where it feels like exploration isn't just encouraged but is actually an integral part of the game, and I can barely remember a single tutorial or obvious 'hand-holding' moment.

I also completely agree with Swaf and redcrayon about how strong the merging mechanic is, it's used consistently throughout the game and even towards the end they've found unique ways to implement it. I particularly like how
even as far into the game as the final battle you're given the Bow of Light, which adds an extra mechanic to merging. Plus the final puzzle - having to fire the arrow backwards to defeat Ganon - is a lovely moment.

Plus: the soundtrack! Wow. The Hyrule and Lorule themes are present and correct, but I love how they
essentially 'upgrade' the themes with new orchestration once you get the Master Sword and Triforce of Courage.
A lot of the sound effects were just pure nostalgia also, including sounds I wouldn't have even thought about like the classic 'going up and down the stairs' noise.

Look out, spoiler-heavy ending discussion coming up!:

The only one teeny-tiny issue I had with the game - and it's not even a big deal! - is that during the ending
I had created this ridiculous idea that Ravio was actually the Happy Mask Salesman, and that by buying all of his items (afterwhich he's seen lounging around in your house relaxing) there would be some tiny extra scene in the credits where he decides to sell masks instead, and notices Majora's Mask hanging on the wall. This is obviously completely ridiculous but after seeing the weird group of masked people in the town of thieves (what was that about?) and the mask itself hanging in Link's house, I was hoping there would be some concrete plot-link to MM. Oh well!

For what it was though, the ending was great and I love how Hilda ended up being (sort of) behind everything. I had some inclination this was going to happen because the short cutscenes of her speaking to Zelda's painting throughout the game were intentionally a little ominous, but I didn't have any idea about the destroyed Lorule Triforce or who Ravio actually was. Incidentally, redcrayon's observation that the black Triforce used in the loading screens/game cover represents a missing Triforce is frankly brilliant, I hadn't even thought of that! It's a very nice touch that Hilda comes across as misguided and Ravio specifically mentions lacking courage, which obviously makes sense because they don't have the Triforce of Wisdom or Courage respectively.

One last thing - does anyone else think it's brilliant that
Ravio is Link's counterpart and so has access to all of his items and is of course wearing a giant pink bunny suit ala Link from LttP when he first enters the Dark World? SO GOOD!

Edit: Just to add that the dungeons are fantastic (they all felt like the right length and none of them got boring) and I found myself using nearly all of the items throughout my playthrough, which is pretty rare given a lot of the more recent Zeldas have a few useless 'one mechanic that is used in one dungeon' items.
Ok yes, the Sand Rod is an exception but it was good for getting that one Maiamai! Speaking of which, the Sand Rod upgrade is frankly rubbish but oh well.

Owensboro

One last thing - does anyone else think it's brilliant that
Ravio is Link's counterpart and so has access to all of his items and is of course wearing a giant pink bunny suit ala Link from LttP when he first enters the Dark World? SO GOOD!

Hahahaha. Holy crap, I hadn't thought of that (
the pink bunny suit
). That's spectacular!

I just finished this game, 100%, about two days ago. I'm on my phone so typing anything long would be silly (and full of typos) but it seems everyone in the thread has already covered a lot of what I enjoyed about it.

The only thing I'll add is this: if someone told me that this game is their favorite Zelda of the entire series, I'd have no problem accepting it. I'm not even just talking good for a handheld (I'd have a tough choice between this and Link's Awakening), I'm talking overall. It's that much fun from start to finish.

P.S.
I can't decide if my favorite music in the game is the final dungeon and how it adds instruments as you clear further in, or Yuka's theme with the chanting of his name. Both put big dumb grins on my face when I heard their respective changes

Bumhat

There was one bit of music I was waiting for throughout my entire playthrough -
fortunately when I finished the game, the end credits music delivered!

Jackano

There was one bit of music I was waiting for throughout my entire playthrough -
fortunately when I finished the game, the end credits music delivered!

I was disapointed with it, maybe the only true disapointment of the game to me.
The music shift with different sages themes instead of a fully instrumented track, like the original one. Plus, the original one is almost 3 tracks in one (when counting the added GBA/Four Swords segment) and iircr ALBW have only the first one.
It's the same theme but it should have been way better realized.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Is there a possiblitiy to get as much rupees as possible in the treasure chest lottery in Lorule?

I want to unlock some of the last items and need a lot of money but I really dont want to farm a lot, is there a special pattern, where to most valuable rupees are hiding behind? Or is it just luck?

Bumhat

Jackano: I can see where you're coming from actually, although I did still enjoy the new version. With that said, there is one song I was disappointed with, and it was so early on I don't think it needs a spoiler tag - the Sanctuary theme. Both the old and new versions are similar and it's nice that they've extended the new one and added bits to it, but the old one was far creepier and a lot slower and I think that really added to it. It made the Sanctuary feel completely remote from everything else and just uggghh it was so good.

GAMEPROFF: I think it's completely random, unless I've missed something. I thought
putting on the Hint Glasses would reveal the contents of the chests in a clever nod to using the Lens of Truth in that OoT minigame, but sadly not

EDIT: If you're looking for the last items then I'm assuming you've come across the
Treacherous Tower
in Lorule. If you complete this on the hardest setting you get a looooot of rupees, and if you do it again and beat your old time you get a frankly ridiculous amount of rupees (we're talking literally thousands).

Makai

Is there a possiblitiy to get as much rupees as possible in the treasure chest lottery in Lorule?

I want to unlock some of the last items and need a lot of money but I really dont want to farm a lot, is there a special pattern, where to most valuable rupees are hiding behind? Or is it just luck?
Instead of farming, just find chests in Hyrule/Lorule. They're everywhere and usually have 50-200 rupees.

Jackano

Jackano: I can see where you're coming from actually, although I did still enjoy the new version. With that said, there is one song I was disappointed with, and it was so early on I don't think it needs a spoiler tag - the Sanctuary theme. Both the old and new versions are similar and it's nice that they've extended the new one and added bits to it, but the old one was far creepier and a lot slower and I think that really added to it. It made the Sanctuary feel completely remote from everything else and just uggghh it was so good.

Yeah the sanctuary/church theme is just forgettable this time. I liked the new Lost Woods.
And of course, being probably one the first uploader on youtube :) , I can tell everyone loved the new Lorule/Dark World theme rendition.
ALBW probably will make it to the NeoGAF OST of the year, maybe in the top 5 (but I havn't checked the new votes since a week or so).

Bumhat

It's definitely one of my favourite soundtracks this year, mainly because it's a perfect mix of old (and brilliant) nostalgic tunes with new ones that either fit perfectly with the original LttP soundtrack or are very clever remixes. There are also a lot of tunes scattered about from other Zelda games - not that I've done this, but apparently if you
keep paying the musician in the Milk Bar
you will hear all sorts of Zelda songs, including
Ballad of the Goddess from Skyward Sword!
. Pretty awesome!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm loving ALBW. I don't really want it to end.

I just looked up how to get the Pegasus boots, it was so painstakingly obvious I feel a bit silly now.
That was the very last item I got, with only one or two dungeons left to go.
I thought I needed the boots to catch the guy, haha, so I never thought of getting them from him. That's a lesson from LTTP leading me astray. Pretty smart way to switch it up on Nintendo's part

rekameohs

Banned
Huh. I'm surprised that so many missed the Pegasus Boots for a long time. I got them right when they first become available since it's right after you learn the Merge technique anyway and I figured you just use that. Pretty cool that it's not required; I love how you can play this game in so many different ways.

I'm about 14 hours in, I've been getting heart pieces and messing around with the game.

This is easily the best Zelda since the Wind Waker, I have been terribly disappointed by every Zelda game since Twilight Princess. This is what Zelda's supposed to be, no bullshit just pure gameplay, I'm going to play my 4th Lorule dungoen now.

Also fuck that baseball minigame, took me 1 hour to complete.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I think I may have asked this before, but how is the save system in this game? Is it conducive to quick play sessions? And how difficult is the game?

I think I may have asked this before, but how is the save system in this game? Is it conducive to quick play sessions? And how difficult is the game?

There's save points scattered through Hyrule/Lorule, you can always go to one immediately if you're outside of a dungeon/cave.

The game's easy, but not as easy as recent Zelda games.

Top Bottom