• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

Malus

I'm kind of surprised at the difficulty complaints. I died twice in this one (and used fairies 3-4 times) while I never died during any of the last 3 console Zelda titles. Maybe I just suck at 2D Zelda :p.

boss battles in this game are terrible. Nowhere near memorable as link to the past.

they're all pretty meh.

the tower was pretty fun. i needed 2 blue potions, a red, and yellow to complete it. Shit was brutal.

I like how they dont let you grab as many blue potions as you want (i always did this in lttp). makes the game more difficult.

I have 12 hearts right now and trying to get 15 before i continue with the dungeons.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I played the baseball game once, didn't like it much, and never went back to it. It had an awesome presentation / style, though.

Baseball is the reason I will never start a new file again, ever.
I hope you're not serious.

Jackano

baseball was the best mini game..what are you guys complaining about??

It seems some people loves it, other hates it (was my case). I believe JP/NA gamers that are used to baseball games gameplay and styles got it quickly so didn't feel so much frustration, however a large and significative amount of people worldwide got frustrated by the odd system with the timing (which is hard to see, even with 3D) doing the horizontal aiming.
Plus, you need to get that a series of 3 bring the bird which is the only way to beat 100 points.

Koozek

That was the very last item I got, with only one or two dungeons left to go.
I thought I needed the boots to catch the guy, haha, so I never thought of getting them from him. That's a lesson from LTTP leading me astray. Pretty smart way to switch it up on Nintendo's part

Hahaha, same here :D Got them before the last dungeon or so.

Celine

100%ed the game.
Best Zelda in years IMO.

Dungeons were a bit linear but I don t care.
Most of the bosses were uninteresting though.

My GOTY.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
It seems some people loves it, other hates it (was my case). I believe JP/NA gamers that are used to baseball games gameplay and styles got it quickly so didn't feel so much frustration, however a large and significative amount of people worldwide got frustrated by the odd system with the timing (which is hard to see, even with 3D) doing the horizontal aiming.
Plus, you need to get that a series of 3 bring the bird which is the only way to beat 100 points.
Doesn't the game explicitly mention that?

Laieon

If this game has taught me anything, it's that I'm really, really, really bad at 2D Zeldas. I have 2/7 dungeons in Lorule complete, just finished the ice one. I don't know if I went there too early or what, but I died wayyyy too much, especially to that stupid mini boss. I don't remember the Oracle games being this difficult when I ran through them years ago.

Sanjuro

All the mini games are pretty easy. 1-3 times, you're done.

Baseball was the best though. Hopefully they make it into a spin off series.

casmith07

Sat down to play Warframe and decided to check this out while I was munching on some leftover enchiladas for lunch.

That was at 11AM. It's almost 6:30PM and I only have stopped now to eat dinner and plug my XL in the wall.

This game is absolutely game of the year material. I love it. 9.9/10 - I dock them 0.1 for asking me to take a break. WTF NO NINTENDO I WANT TO PLAY UNTIL I CANT SEE STRAIGHT LIKE WITH MY SNES BACK IN THE DAY. #NOSTALGIA

Just opened this game today. Already on my 3rd dungeon and loving it. It's just familiar enough and different enough to be both familiar and surprising. Love the overworld music in the town on the left of the map.

Kirlia

Banned
If this game has taught me anything, it's that I'm really, really, really bad at 2D Zeldas. I have 2/7 dungeons in Lorule complete, just finished the ice one. I don't know if I went there too early or what, but I died wayyyy too much, especially to that stupid mini boss. I don't remember the Oracle games being this difficult when I ran through them years ago.

Wow, you did go there early. It was the sixth dungeon I did in Lorule and it was still probably the most frustrating of all the dungeons.

The order I did the Lorule dungeons in:
Dark Palace, Thieves' Hideout, Desert Palace, Skull Woods, Swamp Palace, Ice Ruins, Turtle Rock.

For those playing on Hero Mode:
you will likely want to do Swamp Palace first, since it has the Blue Mail, which halves damage.
Whichever mode you're doing, you'll probably want to do
Ice Ruins and Desert Palace
near the end; even though
the Desert Palace gives the Titan's Mitt, the boss of Desert Palace is the hardest boss of the seven Lorule dungeons. In Hero Mode, you will also probably want to have your Sand Rod upgraded by that point as well.

Anyway, beat the game a few days ago. I didn't see the time I had, but it was probably just under 20 hours. Had over 20,000 Rupees collected throughout the game and zero recorded deaths (I was in a near-guaranteed death situation about five times, but reset the game because I didn't want to re-rent items). Awesome game. Had amazing music, creative dungeons, the bosses weren't terrible (
Helmasaur King
was the best boss of the Lorule dungeons), Yuga was an impressive villain, and even though I predicted
Hilda being the "bad guy,"
the ending was still satisfying.

Didn't see Ravio being Lorule's Link coming, though...one of those things that people seem to feel that they should have noticed, but didn't and were impressed.
Anyway, great game, would/probably will play again, and definitely understand (and agree with) how it has received so many 9s and 10s.

Uzumaki Goku

I don't really fell like reading through previous pages worth of discussion to see if this was talked about but does anyone else feel a little bit disappointed
Ganon was just a cameo. I mean, I know it's a nice twist on the usual Hijacked by Ganon trope but seeing as how he hasn't been the main villain of a Zelda game since Twilight Princess, not counting Ocarina of Time 3D and Wind Waker HD which were remakes, I was looking forward to finally seeing THE villain of the Zelda series back in action. Maybe next game.

I don't really fell like reading through previous pages worth of discussion to see if this was talked about but does anyone else feel a little bit disappointed
Ganon was just a cameo. I mean, I know it's a nice twist on the usual Hijacked by Ganon trope but seeing as how he hasn't been the main villain of a Zelda game since Twilight Princess, not counting Ocarina of Time 3D and Wind Waker HD which were remakes, I was looking forward to finally seeing THE villain of the Zelda series back in action. Maybe next game.

Interesting. I'd actually like to see more Zelda games in which the main villain is not
Ganon

casmith07

Just opened this game today. Already on my 3rd dungeon and loving it. It's just familiar enough and different enough to be both familiar and surprising. Love the overworld music in the town on the left of the map.

The soundtrack is probably the second best in the series after Skyward Sword. I have a bias toward Skyward Sword since it was orchestral and not synth.

789shadow

Banned
Just started this game today: saw a witch ride off. I think that's the fast travel I've seen in Giantbomb's Quick Look. Should I go after her as soon as possible? I haven't beaten the first dungeon yet.

Just started this game today: saw a witch ride off. I think that's the fast travel I've seen in Giantbomb's Quick Look. Should I go after her as soon as possible? I haven't beaten the first dungeon yet.

In my playthrough I avoided fast travel till way late in the game. I wanted to explore and collect as much money as I could for later uses =P it was worth it in my experience.

daftstar

I was struggling with the final boss and thought it was unfair as hell that one hit took like 5 hearts. Then I realized I missed the other Tunics *facepalm*. Got those, fully upgraded the master sword and just wrecked everything. Great game but definitely not GOTY imo.

For those playing on Hero Mode:
you will likely want to do Swamp Palace first, since it has the Blue Mail, which halves damage.
Whichever mode you're doing, you'll probably want to do
Ice Ruins and Desert Palace
near the end; even though
the Desert Palace gives the Titan's Mitt, the boss of Desert Palace is the hardest boss of the seven Lorule dungeons. In Hero Mode, you will also probably want to have your Sand Rod upgraded by that point as well.

Something else you can do is freely go into the dungeons and get some of those necessities without actually completing them.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Something else you can do is freely go into the dungeons and get some of those necessities without actually completing them.
Yeah, that's what I did. I couldn't remember where the
blue armor
is and it took me half-completing like three dungeons before I found it.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
My cousin who's in 3rd grade got this game today and he was over the moon. Made me appreciate Nintendo like I haven't in a long time.
That's awesome. I was around that age when Link's Awakening came out and I was totally enamored with it.

IISANDERII

Saw that Giantbomb named this the best music of the year so I checked it out. Holy shit this is fuckn brilliant. I played Link to the Past to death over the years and thought I wouldn't be impressed but I am very wrong.

Nearly 3hrs of brilliance

Considering buying a Nintendo product for the first time in 13 years.

Jubern

Since it's past midnight, it's release day in Japan!

I just spent 40 minutes in the cold going to and coming back from my local Geo (a big retail chain in Japan) and the motherfuckers insisted they couldn't sell it "until 10 AM", while my friend at another Geo got his no problems. Brb killing myself.

TOMORROW.

Bumhat

Chitown: I think he's talking about having to collect tails/monster guts etc to make potions. Not sure about anyone else but I think the drop rate for tails (required to make blue potions) is lower than the other potion collectables because I was getting them waaaay less than anything else.

Chitown B

Chitown: I think he's talking about having to collect tails/monster guts etc to make potions. Not sure about anyone else but I think the drop rate for tails (required to make blue potions) is way lower than the other potion collectables because I was getting them waaaay less than anything else.

ah. I never used a single potion until now when I'm on the last boss. So, I had 99 tails, and now I have 5 blue potions.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
The baseball game is about to have me throw my 3DS XL into a wall. Is there any strategies? Closest I came is around 79 points :(

what I used is this: four birds minimum per game, they're easy to hit so that's not a problem. Then try to hit at least one crab, because it will make hitting random pots without much effort and get to 100 pts. I lucked out and got 127 :p

so i finished this. Absolutely my GOTY. What a finale. And Ravio's true identity kinda surprised me

Bumhat

Chitown: If you beat your time you get a frankly ridiculous amount of rupees and
a fairly pointless upgrade for the net.

Chitown B

Chitown: If you beat your time you get a frankly ridiculous amount of rupees and
a fairly pointless upgrade for the net.

yeah I heard about the second part. I don't need rupees and probably don't need that either. I think that second part is the only thing I'm missing in the game other than 8 heart pieces.

CassSept

The further I'm into the game the more I'm impressed by it. I'm generally more of a fan of modern Zeldas than of classic, more open-ended ones. However, this game is legitimately impressive and amazing. Exploration and overworld, which I always thought were overrated in older games, are weaved into the game perfectly. It's really a joy to explore the world, and it's amazing modernization of the old standards of the series.

What I'm impressed by to, is that this game is in stark contrast to SS. What SS neglected, ALBW develops, what was capitalized by SS, is in turn toned down in ALBW. However, I find both to be at the very top of the series. It's a testament to how much Zelda had come to mean over the years, that these games are on opposite sides of the spectrum, yet they are both such fantastic experiences.

Zelda team is at the top of it's game. ALBW gets rid of most of the superfluous handholding that really bogged SS down and, while I'm still playing through this one, I can't feel anything else but excitement at what the future holds. If they can learn take the best from SS and apply ALBW's lean and mean approach, Zelda U will be one for the ages.

Top Bottom