• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

Albo

All right, Irene's Taxi here. That'll be 9,999 Rupees. Nah, just messing with your head. I couldn't take money from you. So buckle up~Irene

Witch done nearly gave me a heart attack.

Almost finished 100% now, just three more heart pieces including
octo baseball which I'm only just getting a hang of

Loving the freedom the game gives you. The bump up in difficulty once you arrive in lorule pleasantly surprised me resulting in a lot of deaths (
dem lynel's
)) but then I discovered there's a
LOT of fairy fountains scattered about, maybe too much plus you upgrade our gear/items/health as you go on

Soon after getting used to lorule the dungeons weren't too challenging, just the right amount as I got more experienced with the game, with some of the bosses providing me most of my deaths. Almost every dungeon impressed me in terms creative level design as well as how they utilize the merging mechanic and items.

Because of the fairies I found myself never once using any potions despite having 99 of each potion ingredient...the yellow potion could've come in handy during
treacherous tower
but a good combination of upgraded items+ fairies were sufficient to do the job. Looking forward to doing a no fairy hero mode run, at least attempting to :p Using fairies feels like cheating death to me anyway, since well, it's exactly that.

Faerith

Neo Member
I bought my 3DS just for albw after GAF seemed to love it and what can I say: it rekindled my love for the series. (so says the one who always draws little Links when bored)
The rentsystem was really a great idea - no need to take notes of where the "come back alter" spots are.
And the endgame storypart was suprisingly good for a non storydriven game.
Hilda working with Yuga suprised me.
To my shame I have to admit I had to look up how to get the Pegasus Boots... thought, just like same others - that I'd get them later somewhere and use them to catch the thief.
Heh. Although it did remind me of the walljump as puzzlesolver.
But I'm suprised people die so much in the game, or do they count fairy-usage too?

On a sidenote: I finaly started a playthrough of OoT after aLbw... the contrast couldn't be greater. So slow, clunky and such a restrictive feeling. And a super boring "overworld".

Anteo

I bought my 3DS just for albw after GAF seemed to love it and what can I say: it rekindled my love for the series. (so says the one who always draws little Links when bored)
The rentsystem was really a great idea - no need to take notes of where the "come back alter" spots are.
And the endgame storypart was suprisingly good for a non storydriven game.
Hilda working with Yuga suprised me.
To my shame I have to admit I had to look up how to get the Pegasus Boots... thought, just like same others - that I'd get them later somewhere and use them to catch the thief.
Heh. Although it did remind me of the walljump as puzzlesolver.
But I'm suprised people die so much in the game, or do they count fairy-usage too?

On a sidenote: I finaly started a playthrough of OoT after aLbw... the contrast couldn't be greater. So slow, clunky and such a restrictive feeling. And a super boring "overworld".

They dont, sadly. Otherwise we would have "0 deaths, 27 fairy uses guys! so easy I never died."

Majukun

wow,this game hits pretty hard with the nostalgia factor...it's just like I'm a 8 years old again with all those similiarities with a link to the past

Grizzo

They dont, sadly. Otherwise we would have "0 deaths, 27 fairy uses guys! so easy I never died."

Well I think the number of healing items you used should have nothing to do with how many times you died in the game. I mean, fairies are only worth 5 hearts anyway. They're not that useful, but since they can revive you, I'd rather use them than using potions, that way you don't have to think about breaking up the fight just to drink one
(I know it sounds lazy, and it is actually, haha)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
wow,this game hits pretty hard with the nosalgia factor...it's just like I'm a 8 years old again with all those similiarities with a link to the past
I felt like I was visiting the neighborhood I grew up in as a kid or something. It was a really wonderful feeling.

Heimbeck

Banned
Hmm so with everyone posting that they have zero deaths through the game I thought this would be easy.
I have not played for an hour yet and I've died twice :(

Despite getting a shiny new Vita today, I barely touched the thing. I had to finish the last 2 (3 counting the final) dungeons in this game. Oh man. They were so good. This game was so good. A Link to the Past has always been one of my favorite games, though I haven't played it since it first came out for the SNES. Playing this gave me so much nostalgia, while still doing new things. I legitimately love the Wall Painting mechanic, and I'm kinda saddened that it won't be a mechanic going forward. I really want another Zelda game like this. I kinda hope they just keep making handheld Zeldas in this vein from now on. Going to any dungeon you want was great. When I was able to rent all the items, it was so exciting just exploring the overworld and solving any puzzles I came across. Man, this game was just great.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
There's no point if you don't care about getting 100%. I mean, aside from fun and/or bitter determination.

well that's obvious but I say, if you've made it that far just go the extra furlong, and seal that abomination forever into Earth's deepest arsehole

Noema

I'm loving this game. It's getting harder and harder for me to get into games as I get older, but this makes me feel like I'm 12 again.

The game is fluid, responsive and filled to the brim with stuff to do. I'm compelled to explore and exploration is also extremely rewarding
I'm pretty proud of myself that I found the Pegasus Boots on my own!
I also really like that items can be rented. It's amazing how such a simple mechanic can change the game so much.

The music is absolutely stunning. The LTTP Zelda theme, realized in all its beauty by a full orchestra for the first time within a game, gave me goosebumps. Took them long enough. And the Zelda II dungeon music is in there, too!
And the new arrangement of the overworld theme you get when you get the Master sword, completely unexpected, but also perfectly fitting.
In a way the game uses It and several other elements to distance itself from LTTP, weaving the familiar into the unknown as a recurrent theme in the game.

I decided to play Hero mode from the get go. I'm lucky to be playing my brothers cart which already had Hero mode unlocked, and it's pretty challenging. If I remove the original LoZ and Zelda II (which is monstrously difficult) from the equation, I've probably died more times so far in this game than in all other Zeldas put together. It's not an exaggeration to say I've died over 35 times so far.
Took me about 5 tries just to beat Yuga 2.0
. The fact that people are reporting that they finished the game in standard difficulty without dying makes me feel very happy about my choice of Hero mode. Dying to standard overworld enemies is a weird feeling, but
reaching Lorule for the first time and getting one shotted by some of the enemies there is just hilarious

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Got the game for christmas and it's glorious. That is all. ^_^

I just beat it. I really feel that I would have appreciated this game more if I didn't beat Link to the Past for the first time ever a few months ago.

Anyway my thoughts:

- The game is way way WAY too fucking easy. I didn't die once during a boss battle. Not once.

- The non-linearity dungeon progression is awesome.

- The game NAILED the concept of letting the player explore to find how to progress on their own without making things confusing enough for the player to get stuck.

- Some of the weakest dungeons in the series. They really didn't feel that "epic" nor did I get those "Aha!" moments after having the dungeon crawling come to a close.

- I love how Nintendo is going back to its minimalistic roots with its games. This, NSMB, SMB3D. Unfortunately I felt that they went a little too far with this. I would like them to add a little bit more flare.

- Having virtually all of the items available from the get go was awesome.

- Come to think of it this was a pretty ballsy game for Nintendo. Going back to their minimalistic roots, non-linear "open world" with little hand holding, and taking out Zelda's item progression. I loved it.

- It might be because I completed A Link to the Past a few months ago but this game didn't really "Wow" me. It just felt like another good game I played. Been getting this a lot lately. Only System Shock II got me into that "Holy shit this is awesome!" mode. Maybe I've reached that point where I've seen nearly all of it from games and its difficult to impress me anymore.

AniHawk

18 hours and everything's done. every bit of gear, every heart piece, 9999 rupees (25 deaths). i can't think of a single stone unturned (aside maybe some unopened chests containing rupees and monster doodads).

this feels like the twilight princess for a link to the past fans. it pretty much perfects that formula more than link's awakening (which was sorta the majora's mask for a link to the past fans), and doesn't stray from its source material much.

it has the best pacing in a zelda game since ocarina of time. it's amazingly quick to get from one place to another as the game progresses, and the ability to enter any dungeon of your choosing is a great way to go with this series. i don't think the rental system made any sense. i had gathered all the items up rather quickly with all the rupees the game throws your way, and i couldn't help but wonder the harm in just having all the items to begin with. ...or the ability to complete any dungeon without its key item, but with a lot of inventiveness (i once hookshotted something i don't think i was supposed to at one point).

i am a huge sucker for the zelda mythology even though it's clear nintendo isn't. i really wanted a little bit more on the connections to previous games, but i know it would come at the expense of the freedom in gameplay. maybe something a little more subdued like link's awakening would have been nice.

the plot twist was fairly simple to figure out
especially thanks to certain promotional materials showing hilda fairly sinister. i didn't expect ravio to be the lorule version of link, and in retrospect, the bunny outfit was a great touch.

the level design was pretty good. i enjoyed the verticality in every level, especially when it got trickier like in the ice ruins. i don't think i was ever blown away by anything, but the challenges were generally new thanks to the switching of dimensions with the painting mechanic and the vertical dungeons. it's a level of complexity that is missing in most of the 3d zelda games and it was good to see that nintendo hasn't lost their touch in the intervening years since link's awakening (or four swords adventure).

i don't know what else to say. it was just a very pleasant experience all around. there were parts where i had to stop and think that it's almost 2014 and i'm playing a top-down zelda from nintendo. in a lot of ways it reminds me of super mario 3d world, where 2013 is some bizarre alternate 1996 where nintendo brought their two biggest franchises into 3d in more traditional ways. they feel like missing pieces of the puzzle in the transition from 2d to 3d, and i'm glad to finally have them.

now what's all this business with majora's mask.

CassSept

Argh, all Nintendo services are still down? Shame.

10 hours in and I'm standing in front of the final dungeon with about half of the collectibles done (
exactly half of all heart pieces and 40-something Maiamais, not sure about the exact count
). It's not perfect, but it's definitely an impressive title, that's to be sure. I'm enjoying it greatly, I guess I'll go for 100% collection after I'm done with final boss
(I think I'll refrain from doing Hero Mode for now, maybe when I replay the game in a couple of years I'll go with hero mode)

Man those stupid lions on floor 48 or 49 in Treacherous Tower annoy the hell out of me on Hero mode. I was hoping the Great Spin would be enough to push them off but they're really something else. Made it to the Snake but got my ass kicked and didn't have any health restores.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Ugh, these Baseball Minigame is awful. Its the last Heartpiece I need to complete 100% the game and I only reach 80 pieces -,-

Damn, its definitely by far the worst part of the game...

Talon

Ugh, these Baseball Minigame is awful. Its the last Heartpiece I need to complete 100% the game and I only reach 80 pieces -,-

Damn, its definitely by far the worst part of the game...
It's really easy. Every 3 pots you hit in a row, a bird flies past. If you hit that bird (don't change your stance, just hit the ball towards the middle), you get 20 rupees.

Currygan

now I want a game with Ravio. He cracked me up at the end, and it's a brilliant take on
Link
from a different perspective. Plus, we finally
hear him talking! not the same Link, but this is the first time, right?

Madouu

now I want a game with Ravio. He cracked me up at the end, and it's a brilliant take on
Link

He is the anti Link after all, talkative, clumsy and in many ways a coward as opposed to his Hyrule's equivalent. This is also what makes his character more charming in some ways, a bit like how we can get easily attached to Luigi.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It's really easy. Every 3 pots you hit in a row, a bird flies past. If you hit that bird (don't change your stance, just hit the ball towards the middle), you get 20 rupees.
Yeah, got it finally and have now all heartpieces.

Now the last Maimais and then I will go and finish the story.

Faerith

Neo Member
the plot twist was fairly simple to figure out
especially thanks to certain promotional materials showing hilda fairly sinister. i didn't expect ravio to be the lorule version of link, and in retrospect, the bunny outfit was a great touch.
Heh, for me it was the other way around
After all, ALTTPs Link was a Bunny (coward) in the Dark World. So you have a guy masked as a Bunny, Mirrorverse Hyrule and a "faery" reminscing of OoT and a missing mirror-hero...
on a sidenote I loved how Yuga (= u gay? o_O) is the anti-Ganondorf. Not an impossing macho "Power guy", but a slim lover of art.

now what's all this business with majora's mask.
Probably MM 3D, if it's not a cruel teasing?
Though a MM game in the Failhero of Time timeline would be cool. =)

Chitown B

Beat it this morning. Missing 8 heart pieces and the upgraded
net

Such a great game. Makes me very happy.

24777 rupees

10 deaths. But I didn't use potions or fairys until about 9/10 of the way through.

Currygan

He is the anti Link after all, talkative, clumsy and in many ways a coward as opposed to his Hyrule's equivalent. This is also what makes his character more charming in some ways, a bit like how we can get easily attached to Luigi.

I like this analogy..yeah that's definitely why I found him so entertaining. I'd really love him making a comeback in the next games

Talon

You make it seem so easy. How about a fried bird sandwich?
I found the easiest thing to do was target 2 while holding the stick down, then holding the stick up for ball 3. Then hit the bird.
Do the same without holding the stick at all, then hold the stick up for ball 3. Hit the bird.
Alternate again.

Just get your timing right. Hit as early as you can on the first. Then hit a split second later, and continue.

Got the piece on my third try.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So far I've beat the following Lorule dungeons:
Thieves Lair
Dark Palace
Sand Dungeon

and I feel like I am missing stuff. Pegasus Boots? Blue Mail? Upgraded Master Sword? Enlighten me guys, please :p! Where are all these secret goodies?

So far I've beat the following Lorule dungeons:
Thieves Lair
Dark Palace
Sand Dungeon

and I feel like I am missing stuff. Pegasus Boots? Blue Mail? Upgraded Master Sword? Enlighten me guys, please :p! Where are all these secret goodies?

For the pegasus boots:

Hint 1 :
You can get them once you've gotten the smooth stone thing back to the zora queen

Hint 2 :
Who's acting differently in Kariko?

Hint 3 Telling you where they are :
shady looking guy who runs fast has them

Hint 4 Telling you how to get them :
jump into the wall while away from him, walk up to him within the wall and pop out to catch him

blue mail is a chest item in one of the lorule dungeons.

For the upgraded sword, you need to
give two ore pieces to someone for one upgrade, and then two to someone else
. Three can be found in lorule dungeons, and one is the prize of a lorule mini-dungeon.

First person to give ore to :
hyrule blacksmith

Second person:
lorule blacksmith

Can anyone beat 147? :p

197 :)

To get that high, you have to be able to hit quite a few gold pots, there's just no other way. The key is do everything you can to get three in a row for the +20 bird. Don't whiff on that third ball. When the number of pots dwindles down, hit a crab to replenish and improve your odds.

It's really a game of risk/reward calculation and timing if you think about it.

CassSept

Beat the game, clocked at 11.5 hours. Amazing experience. It's so distant from what SS offered, yet still it retains the same quality. There are some downsides here and there, but it's one hell of a ride and easily the best 2D/handheld Zelda in over 2 decades.

Ultimately the game shows that I had 4 deaths, but I think 6-7 would be more like it. All of them would had been avoidable if I took a different order, but heh, at least it gave me a little challenge (
I did Turtle Rock first, resulted in 1 death in the dungeon on these goddamned Gibdos, 4-5 deaths on the boss because wow he's fast, I have no Master Sword upgrades, no blue mail, nothing, fresh out of Hyrule, and I screwed up once on Thieves' Hideout boss.
). I also used one blue potion on the final boss, so there's that. This is sadly the second easiest game in the series, but it's still a fantastic game.

I can't say I liked the ending much either.
The twist with Ravio was cool, but otherwise, ehhhhh. I didn't feel it. Especially Hilda's turnaround from "I NEED TRIFORCE" to "Oh OK you're right Ravio we're cool", felt very abrupt.

Now off to 100%ing the game, and Zelda U - BRING IT ON!

Link

I FOUND A MIRROR UNDER THE TABLE

Currygan

My last heart piece was so annoying
why did they have to put one in the sanctuary, I completely ignored that building after leaving it

easily missable. I however forgot to pick up the whole heart container at the end of Turtle Rock and had to recheck every dungeon, heh

Top Bottom