• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

Wensih

Probably worth remembering that the game is straight up ALTTP 2 in Japan.

True, true. I'm having a blast playing it, despite the eerie familiar-ness to ALTTP. For me , it just seems almost too familiar.

The non-linear nature is really fun, I greatly enjoyed being able to just wander around finding cracks and figuring out connectivity.

I think the Wall mechanic really does keep it from feeling like a re-tread of LttP for me. Just how the same overworld opens up in so many different ways with that ability, it means that I have to approach almost every screen differently in this game.

It's weird how everyone is praising the open-endedness of the game because I'm pretty sure ALTTP was only slightly more linear than ALBW. If I remember correctly, you could do the Dark World Dungeons in any order save for one. I guess people are comparing it to Skyward Sword and more recent entries like KarmaCow said. I agree though that the Wall mechanic feels like a really fresh idea.

I don't really get the praise... Could someone explain why this game is being considered one of the greatest zeldas? I think it's a great game, but it feels like a re-skinned A Link to the Past -- which is my favorite Zelda.

EDIT: I'm 8 hours in and have completed 4 dark world dungeons so far.

• Fast Paced
  • NO BULLSHIT
  • You reach the first dungeon in minutes.
  • No Fairy/Fi/Midna.
  • 60fps
  • Good Music

mantidor

I think the amount of content outside the dungeons was perfect, but in the vast majority of the dungeons I was left thinking, "is that it?" because of the lack of complexity, length and general straightforwardness of everything. Even making them memorable would have helped.

I think I will go back to the game because I'm relatively close to 100%-ing it, but I don't think I will try the Hero Mode. Everything becoming 1-2 shot kills hampers my enjoyment and just becomes a frustrating experience.

I have to disagree about the dungeons not being memorable, the music alone makes them stand out, but above that they are better than the "theme" dungeons of so many past entries.

Also, you cannot complain about lack of difficulty and then reject hero mode as "frustrating", that doesn't make sense! or are you just talking about the difficulty puzzle - wise? because the game, even though I haven't finished it, it's way ahead in that area compared to pasts Zeldas. Games like Zelda 1 and Adventure of Link weren't difficult because of cleverness, they were difficult because of stuff like what Hero Mode is introducing.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Also how are you supposed to beat
Yuma? I did it by batting his orb attacks back at him with the bug net when I discovered the sword didn't work, but the bug net was an optional item yeah? So there has to be another way to do it

Bond007

Great game. One dungeon left
Not sure what im gonna do after i beat it though. Im not huge on wild goose chasing/hunting hidden Mai-whatever. lol
Prolly a 2nd play

The Technomancer

Yeah last night I got all the way through the final dungeon, died twice fighting the final boss and got frustrated and closed the software only to realize I hadn't saved. I didn't want to do the dungeon that night again so I just spent like two hours hunting down all hundred Maimais and then beat the game proper this morning.

Yuma? I did it by batting his orb attacks back at him with the bug net when I discovered the sword didn't work, but the bug net was an optional item yeah? So there has to be another way to do it
Er, the sword works. Pretty well, actually, I don't know what you did wrong there.

Anteo

I used the sword. Some shoots will go after you if you time it wrong.

The Technomancer

I used the sword. Some shoots will go after you if you time it wrong.

Huh, every time I tried that
the shots just kind of bounced around me, same as if I had used the shield. The Bug Net made that part really easy, except for the third stage where its long use animation meant I just had to mash it and hope for the best

Loco4Coco

Ok, I'm playing the game and loving it so far. I also beaten some of the "main" dungeons, but I have 1 question is there special items in all the dungeons? I've found
the blue tunic the halves damage
and ores and I finished dungeons with unopened chests. So should I go back and open those chest or are they just rupees?

The Technomancer

Ok, I'm playing the game and loving it so far. I also beaten some of the "main" dungeons, but I have 1 question is there special items in all the dungeons? I've found
the blue tunic the halves damage
and ores and I finished dungeons with unopened chests. So should I go back and open those chest or are they just rupees?

There are two large chests in every dungeon, one containing the boss key and one containing an item like the one's you mentioned. You definitely want to try and get all the big chests, a couple of them in particular have items you will find very useful.

Anteo

Huh, every time I tried that
the shots just kind of bounced around me, same as if I had used the shield. The Bug Net made that part really easy, except for the third stage where its long use animation meant I just had to mash it and hope for the best

That happened to me a few times,
at first I thought it was because I missed the first swipe and spammed the sword to get a second hit and the game punished me that way, but sometimes it would happen even if I did not do a early missed swipe. I think the timing is important, as too early it will go after you anyways (bouncing around you and hiting you) but I'm not sure if it works like that or there is some other thing that I need to consider

gogojira

Beat it today, so damn good. It trounces every recent Zelda game and I've got no issue with the length. Give me that shit any day over a last minute fetch quest to extend time for no reason.

And man, that OST.

Anth0ny

I never really got in to ALttP (I think I usually stopped at the dark world) and I thought ALBW was amazing, so...

Same. I played LTTP for the first time a couple of Summers ago on GBA... I liked it but I didn't love it. LBW, on the other hand, feels like it might be my favorite Zelda after OOT and MM. So the "you just like it because nostalgia!" arguments are pure bullshit, at least in my case.

• Fast Paced
  • NO BULLSHIT
  • You reach the first dungeon in minutes.
  • No Fairy/Fi/Midna.
  • 60fps
  • Good Music

Aonuma should take this list and fucking frame it in his office and make sure every Zelda from now on obeys these rules.

Yeah I'm really liking this game. It's a great flashback and new Zelda experience rolled into one. I just acquired the
Titan's Mitt
and am really looking forward to
lifting all those massive rocks I kept seeing all over the map. I'm guessing half of them have Maiamais under them.

Thinking about heading to
Skull Woods Dungeon
next just to max out my character's power fastest, since it houses
my last piece of Master Ore and the first set of mail...the clothing kind

Schploople

Neo Member
Just beat the game for the first time. So amazing. My little brother and I had a contest to see who'd be able to beat it first, and he surprisingly held his ground despite not playing ALTTP. So proud. :)

Madouu

I'd have dungeons that take longer than 5 minutes to beat over all of that stuff.

I think you're obviously exaggerating here, it took me at most 2 minutes to beat most of the dungeons in the game.

Same. I played LTTP for the first time a couple of Summers ago on GBA... I liked it but I didn't love it. LBW, on the other hand, feels like it might be my favorite Zelda after OOT and MM. So the "you just like it because nostalgia!" arguments are pure bullshit, at least in my case.

Add me to the list, I only played LTTP recently and it's certainly far far away from being my favorite Zelda game, yet, I loved A Link Between Worlds. The nostalgia argument shows its limits once again, sure that might help enjoy the games a little bit more for a lot of people but it doesn't suddenly turn a mediocre game into a great one, just because nostalgia.

On the subject of the game being short, I can see where some people are coming from but I think it is has a lot to do with play styles. I finished the game in 35 hours, and I'm far away from being a Zelda noob (Skyward Sword being the only game I haven't played/finished). I'm also far away from being a terrible gamer as some will probably suggest. I like to take my time, explore every nook & cranny of the world, talk to all of the NPCs and perfect my runs in minigames. This obviously only works if the game offers good enough pacing to keep you interested and engaged in the new challenges or objectives it keeps throwing at you. The music, the open world system but also the overworld design through clever use of the wall mechanic kept me always engaged and thinking about how I could use the tools at my disposal to reach a specific platform or secret without it ever feeling tedious, and I think this is the biggest success for the game.

Busaiku

Honestly, due to the short length and the fast paced nature of the game, dungeons and bosses are largely forgettable for me.
The only dungeon I can vividly remember is the Pegasus Boots one, because I didn't think to use the bombs there, and so I wasted like an hour trying to learn the Pegasus Boots.

Bosses, besides the last one, didn't really require me to do much either besides mash.

This is the first birds-eye The Legend of Zelda I completed, and I can definitely see why I like the other contemporaries more.

And Baseball is the worst thing ever.

Honestly, due to the short length and the fast paced nature of the game, dungeons and bosses are largely forgettable for me.
The only dungeon I can vividly remember is the Pegasus Boots one, because I didn't think to use the bombs there, and so I wasted like an hour trying to learn the Pegasus Boots.

Bosses, besides the last one, didn't really require me to do much either besides mash.

This is the first birds-eye The Legend of Zelda I completed, and I can definitely see why I like the other contemporaries more.

And Baseball is the worst thing ever.

Odd... I don't seem to remember a single dungeon that required or I even used the pegasus boots in.

Bumhat

Probably talking about the mini-dungeon that required the pegasus boots.

Prepare to have your mind blown (possibly) because
it's actually possible to do that mini-dungeon without the boots by using bombs and timing it well. The guy at the end even comments on your interesting technique!
I love little details like that.

Fowler

it's actually possible to do that mini-dungeon without the boots by using bombs and timing it well. The guy at the end even comments on your interesting technique!

I can't believe I didn't think of that. So obvious and yet... didn't even remotely come to mind.

Majestad

Banned

What really? I used bombs but there was a part that seemed impossible without the boots.

Bumhat

You activate the first switch with your sword and immediately drop a bomb, so just as you clear the first gate the bomb goes off and activates the second gate. From there on out it's just clever bomb use.

They've got a picture of the different text on Nintendo 3DS Daily:

PegasusBootsDungeonCongrats.jpg

Celine

Well, I'm blown.

CassSept

Oh, that's alternate text? Hah, I used combination of boots and bombs to clear it. I couldn't get past one part with boots alone so I helped myself with bombs, remembering
method to clearing Dark Palace

There is some mini-dungeon that has pillars with boomerang too, but it's easy to do it with bombs too. When everything else fails use bombs basically.

Still not as op as Nice Fire Rod though. This one is straight-up broken.

3Dawg

Banned
I also completed that minigame/dungeon without the running boots. I only figured out how to get the boots when I was nearing the end of the game.

Throwing bombs from max range and then using multiple bombs timed so that the second bomb explodes just as the effect from the first wears off is how it's done. It's how I did it anyway.

n64coder

On the subject of the game being short, I can see where some people are coming from but I think it is has a lot to do with play styles. I finished the game in 35 hours, and I'm far away from being a Zelda noob (Skyward Sword being the only game I haven't played/finished). I'm also far away from being a terrible gamer as some will probably suggest. I like to take my time, explore every nook & cranny of the world, talk to all of the NPCs and perfect my runs in minigames. This obviously only works if the game offers good enough pacing to keep you interested and engaged in the new challenges or objectives it keeps throwing at you. The music, the open world system but also the overworld design through clever use of the wall mechanic kept me always engaged and thinking about how I could use the tools at my disposal to reach a specific platform or secret without it ever feeling tedious, and I think this is the biggest success for the game.

Same here. I've played all of the handheld Zeldas so I'm no noob but I don't have time to spend on the game in one sitting or consecutive days so I do waste some time ramping back up to speed. I spent a bit of time trying to find that lost kid or to get to some of the maimais.

Just finished Turtle Rock. I got killed twice trying to do the boss because I was careless. The Hylian shield chest stumped me. Had to consult a guide to realize that I had to merge on the wall to push a ladder down. The thought just didn't occur to me. Got everything else without a problem.

3Dawg

Banned
you did the Ice Ruins in five minutes? :OOOO

also, the speedrun minidungeon without Pegasus Boots? :OOOO

He was probably exaggerating but I do agree that the dungeons were all too easy and short.

The speedrun dungeon without boots is not as hard as you think, just try it :p I did it before even realising running boots could be acquired.

TheOGB

Banned
Just finished this up minutes ago. My god, what a fantastic adventure. Playing through A Link to the Past just before starting this helped out a lot, in navigating, knowing a bit of what to expect, and having a good measure of quality. This game is an instant classic, a fresh and interesting take on the world of ALttP and 2D Zelda itself. I had a blast with it, and I can't wait to start my Hero Mode run. Probably won't be undefeated this time, though. :p

And my mind is thoroughly blown by the bomb method in that treasure dungeon.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
He was probably exaggerating but I do agree that the dungeons were all too easy and short.

The speedrun dungeon without boots is not as hard as you think, just try it :p I did it before even realising running boots could be acquired.

hmm I'm going to try it, surely it's gonna need insane timing!

also, a question for all. How many of you used a timer for Rupee Rush?
I had this
http://www.online-stopwatch.com/countdown-timer/

and voila, easy peasy

Majukun

yeah,the dungeons were too easy and shorts,but maybe they do this because you are on a portable console and you can't save in the dungeons

anyway,yes,they are kinda weak if compared to other zelda dungeons

3Dawg

Banned
yeah,the dungeons were too easy and shorts,but maybe they do this because you are on a portable console and you can't save in the dungeons

Close the lid. Instant save state.

Majestad

Banned
The dungeons were definitely short. I didn't mind too much since there were a lot of them, and they were all just incredibly fun.

The dungeons were short but I liked them more than most dungeons in the series. I felt like I was always making progress. The Ice Ruins is probably one of my favorite dungeons. It was a lot of fun.

Just beat this last night during the Giants game and I've gotta say, I had more fun with this than anything on X1 or PS4....which brought me to the realization that we need some good RPG's/Action games of any kind on these next gen platforms (I have AC4 and it's enjoyable but I don't like the Naval stuff)

Back on topic: game was fantastic and every chance I had I wanted to play it (including the bathroom, hells yeah!)

I unlocked Hero mode, when you beat that, is there anything else? Looks like a 3rd option for difficulty can fit underneath it.

Madouu

I wouldn't call them weak by any means. Let me preface this by stressing the fact that this is my opinion as I know a few posters can be sensitive about such things, but the last 3D Zelda I've played is Twilight Princess, often praised for its dungeon design which I totally agree with, especially when it comes to the usage of new and creative items but I must say that in terms of just pure enjoyment, I am pretty sure that I've had more fun on average in ALBW's dungeons than Twilight Princess.

I think the feeling that the dungeons are too short comes from a few things. Mainly, the fact that you do not need to find the item that will let you progress through the few sections in rooms you have visited before, removing quite a bit of backtracking as a result. Some people obviously still do not agree with this choice, as they feel it removes a certain sense of progression which I can understand, but in my case, I think it was an unnecessary and tedious progress so I'm glad they went ahead with this idea.

Another point that might seem very minor at first but that helps a lot is the constant presence of the map on the second screen. No need to press a button to display it, then switch back to the game, the information on every level of the dungeon is always available to you and in a game that relies a lot on spacial puzzles (moving platforms, wall merging, etc.) it helps a lot. I like to think of it as passing an exam with your notes always available to you as opposed to having to fetch them from your bag each time you need to consult some piece of information.

Finally, Link is just fast in this game, especially since you are exploring what is basically a 2d world. You could probably visit all the rooms in a dungeon in the time it would take you to just find your way hanging from the walls with the iron boots in the Goron Mines. All of your actions are performed at a blazing speed very rarely seen in a Zelda game before and I think a lot of people are still not used to this.

Of course, I do agree that the dungeons are generally shorter than the 3D games but I do feel as though this point in particular is kind of overblown because of the reasons in my post. I also do not feel that the game in general is weaker as a consequence, on the contrary, I think it has succeeded in removing mostly all of the tedious parts of previous Zelda games and all is left now for Zelda Wii U is to expand on this foundation and aim for a bigger game, with grander ambitions while sticking to this formula.

Salvadora

I have to disagree about the dungeons not being memorable, the music alone makes them stand out, but above that they are better than the "theme" dungeons of so many past entries.

Also, you cannot complain about lack of difficulty and then reject hero mode as "frustrating", that doesn't make sense! or are you just talking about the difficulty puzzle - wise? because the game, even though I haven't finished it, it's way ahead in that area compared to pasts Zeldas. Games like Zelda 1 and Adventure of Link weren't difficult because of cleverness, they were difficult because of stuff like what Hero Mode is introducing.
Respectively disagree.

I'm talking about puzzle difficulty and in that department it certainly isn't "way ahead" of past Zeldas. Maybe you found things more difficult (and haven't finished it), but I found that the vast majority of dungeons required very little thought and I powered through them.

Moff

as a zelda fan its very hard to like the very low difficulty and complexity of ALBW dungeons. I understand that, I felt the very same.

It took some time and a lot of thought where I asked myself why this game is to damn fun until I realized that ALBW replaced difficulty and complexity with fresh, diverse and much more fun gameplay mechanics.

just like in the whole game, ALBWs dungeons were stripped of everything that made them tiring, annoying and stale in the past installments.
I have reached the point where I actually prefer ALBWs dungeons to ALTTPs dungeons,

Top Bottom