• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

First game (not just Zelda) in a long time that I more or less dedicated a whole day to, the game was that great I couldn't stop.... til I beat it. A little disappointing how short the game feels. Probably a lot has to do with the fact that while the game is definitely new, it still follows a lot of LttP's conventions (and knowing where a lot of secrets and dungeons will be definitely sped things along).

Playing Hero Mode now with the goal to 100% everything without a guide... wow Hero mode really does make you approach situations very very differently... Already got the mastersword (the dungeons aren't as much of a drag on the second play through as I would have assumed they'd be, either that or I'm blinded by nostalgic love which I'm personally okay with).

(edit) To be clear, I beat on my first run in about 10 hours. I got 2 extra hearts from container peices, a fully powered up Master Sword and about 40 maimais. Oh and got my tunic fully upgraded, Hylian Shield, etc (every big chest in lorule's dungeons). All without any guides.

So far on Hero mode I've spend about 3 hours, have the master sword, almost 30 maimais, 2 full heart containers, etc. Again, with no guides. I'm probably looking at 15-20 hours for a full completion for hero mode... The time lost by trying to collect everything seems to be buoyed by the fact that I can literally zoom through dungeons now.

What do the pink little thingies do that I find (especially in dungeons)?

And can I only carry one bee in a bottle? If so how can I get more bottles -_-

15 hours to get to lorule is madness

This... Even if it was your very first Zelda game I'd be really really surprised. There is quite a bit to do in the game, but not THAT much.

Honestly, if it wasn't for the fact that the game was $40, I may not have invested time into Hero mode. 10 hours wasn't very long, but I'm enjoying Hero mode a lot more than I thought I would so I'm now glad I did.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Man the ice dungeon was absolutely stellar. That music, the difficulty, the way it's all presented and the way everything connects.

Honestly incredible, so well designed.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
If there's one thing I'd change about this game, it's how dashing with the pegasus boots would feel. It takes way too long to stop. I don't even bother using them.

Whoever it took 15 hours to get to lorule, I have no idea what you're spending your time doing, unless it's solely just respawning bushes to farm rupees.

I just beat the game, took 18.5 hours. Stands alongside Ocarina and LTTP to make a Triforce of perfect Zelda games. This was just a brilliantly designed game, and a perfect example of Nintendo sticking to their roots while evolving the series.

Albo

I like how the no option for failing endless cucco is "no more". Even the devs acknowledge it as torture:p

Also, I tried using the
super net against yuga (to see if it follows tradition of using absurd items against final bosses) and you can use it to reflect his energy balls like with agahnim in ALTTP, plus it can damage him in the first part of the battle before he consumes hilda. I wasn't able to deflect them once he throws two balls together since the net doesn't swing fast enough.

It's not out the question to take 15h to get to lorule. The whole world opens up very early with a lot to explore. I remember when used to have lot of spare time, I would lose myself in zelda games like no other. I took me something like 10 hours to get to the first dungeon in SS because I spent so much time exploring every nook and cranny, eager not to miss anything and only a fraction of the world was accessible at that point compared to ALBW. Wish I still had that time these days.

LakeEarth

I can see why people complain about the difficulty level. The 3rd dungeon was a joke. I would barely characterize it as a dungeon, it was such a straight line.

I'm still happy I'm playing this game though.

inky

Confession time: I'm not really sure I like Zelda games. I've bought plenty of the console ones and I've never ever finished them. I have OoT, TP and WW sitting unfinished and it's too late to go back tot hem I think. They always seem to overstay their welcome for me, but I still find some aspects enjoyable so it is not all wasted time. I also don't like handhelds, but the new consoles are not appealing right now, and the 3DS seems to have hit that sweet spot, so I just had to buy one. (The gold one is pretty as hell, btw. Best handheld I've owned by far).

Well, I played this for a few hours today (beat the first 2 dungeons) and I'm loving it. It looks and sounds fantastic, and I'm having a ton of fun so hopefully I'll stick to this one and see it through. There's something to the ALttP formula that just seems superior to the 3D ones for me.

Minor complaint: I don't think I like the "renting items" aspect, but maybe it will play a bigger part later on (i'm guessing it has to do with giving you the freedom of tackling obstacles in the order you desire). Right now it just looks like a minor inconvenience if I were to die (hasn't happened yet) and takes away the feeling of getting something neat from a dungeon, breaking that kinda linear progression.

Still, I'm itching to go play some more right now. I will come back to this thread once the game has developed a bit more.

Majukun

finished all the dungeons and just chilling around searching for collectables before the final confrontation.

just a question

are all the minerals to strengthen the master sword in the dungeons?there's one i still have not found,but i don't know if i have to search inside the dungeons again kor check somewhere else.

Bladenic

finished all the dungeons and just chilling around searching for collectables before the final confrontation.

just a question

are all the minerals to strengthen the master sword in the dungeons?there's one i still have not found,but i don't know if i have to search inside the dungeons again kor check somewhere else.

Did you get the one in the final dungeon?

Laieon

Just beat the game! I really enjoyed it, I don't know if it will go down as one of the more memorable Zeldas for me, but the gameplay was fantastic none-the-less.

just a question

Nope, there's one that isn't in a dungeon.

Lorule's Overworld 2 and Hyrule Castle OST are amazing.

I can't believe I went through the entire game without knowing
that you needed a net to catch fairies, and that the Hyrule shield was in the game.

Salvadora

Just beat it.

In my mind, it's the best Zelda since Wind Waker (haven't played Skyward Sword) and has rekindled my love for the series which has waned with recent entries.

There were some negatives however:

• Too short.
  • Far too easy. I died twice, both from stupidity rather than actually difficulty.
  • Dungeons were far too straightforward and forgettable.
  • The item system. It had its positives, but you giving you all the items immediately with relative ease (even to buy) and then only using 1 or 2 in the dungeons was a huge letdown. Just generally it felt like they had designed a system and the lack of difficulty had nullified it

Jucksalbe

Banned
There were some negatives however:

• Too short.

Actually, I'm pretty okay with the length. I hardly ever replay any of the 3D Zeldas because they're so long. But in ALBW I immediately played through Hero Mode after finishing the game, just because it's short. Would probably have pushed that back indefinitely if it were another 30 or 40 hours game.
For all the other points of your list: If you still want to play more of the game, try the Hero Mode, maybe you'll like its balancing more.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Beat it today. Loved it, really truly loved it. A brand new 2D Zelda experience is a wonderful thing. I'm trying to put together some detailed thoughts but the whole Wall Merging power is really the key to the whole thing, its in large part what allows the resiting of the LTTP world to feel completely fresh at the same time while also playing with 3D spatial conventions in a primarily 2D game.

My two criticisms are that the item rental system needs some revision if they ever revisit it (IMO it should have been more limited, only being able to take three items into the field or something until I buy them, letting the player rent as many as they wanted just meant I got everything early and loaded my file whenever I died) and coming off of a replay of Oracle of Ages and Seasons a lot of the dungeons felt kind of simple and straightforward.

Salvadora

Actually, I'm pretty okay with the length. I hardly ever replay any of the 3D Zeldas because they're so long. But in ALBW I immediately played through Hero Mode after finishing the game, just because it's short. Would probably have pushed that back indefinitely if it were another 30 or 40 hours game.
For all the other points of your list: If you still want to play more of the game, try the Hero Mode, maybe you'll like its balancing more.
I think the amount of content outside the dungeons was perfect, but in the vast majority of the dungeons I was left thinking, "is that it?" because of the lack of complexity, length and general straightforwardness of everything. Even making them memorable would have helped.

I think I will go back to the game because I'm relatively close to 100%-ing it, but I don't think I will try the Hero Mode. Everything becoming 1-2 shot kills hampers my enjoyment and just becomes a frustrating experience.

Beat it today. Loved it, really truly loved it. A brand new 2D Zelda experience is a wonderful thing. I'm trying to put together some detailed thoughts but the whole Wall Merging power is really the key to the whole thing, its in large part what allows the resiting of the LTTP world to feel completely fresh at the same time while also playing with 3D spatial conventions in a primarily 2D game.

My two criticisms are that the item rental system needs some revision if they ever revisit it (IMO it should have been more limited, only being able to take three items into the field or something until I buy them, letting the player rent as many as they wanted just meant I got everything early and loaded my file whenever I died) and coming off of a replay of Oracle of Ages and Seasons a lot of the dungeons felt kind of simple and straightforward.

I agree the rental system could use a revision, but limiting the number of items a player can carry at once is a dangerous way to go about it. One of the pleasures of ALBW is the ease of exploration. If you've just got five minutes to play, you can spend it scouring one or two screens, confident you'll be rewarded for your effort. It takes almost no time to traverse the world, so when you have an idea, you can go test it out immediately. There is basically nothing between the player and the part of exploration that is actually enjoyable. Forcing the player to repeatedly check back in with Ravio and check out just a few items at the time would pad the length of the game and throw up major obstacles to the fun of exploring.

A better idea would be to do away with renting items and just give the player all the items. That way you can assume the player has everything when you're designing the dungeons. One of ALBW's biggest weaknesses is that each dungeon still turns on just one item, which tends to constrain puzzle design and make everything too simple. Plus it forecloses a lot of player creativity.

Kyzer

Banned
Id be down for a new first dungeon the length of TPs tutorial thats actually fun and gives you access to every single item, and teaches you to use them along the way quickly and in an engaging way. Provide a few hidden items for secret dungeons you can find from exploring. Bam.

daakusedo

Are the dungeons really a one item thing?
I did the first three which have pillars showing items you have to use but I nearly finished palace of darkness which has none (I thought it was for every dungeons) and I couldn't say what's the item for this one is.
I used bombs, lantern, fire rod and hookshot to get a key faster...

Are the dungeons really a one item thing?
I did the first three which have pillars showing items you have to use but I nearly finished palace of darkness which has none (I thought it was for every dungeons) and I couldn't say what's the item for this one is.
I used bombs, lantern, fire rod and hookshot to get a key faster...

Palace of Darkness
requires bombs. Remember the entrance was blocked off? Bombs are also key to tripping the switches after moving to the appropriate position. You can destroy the boards over windows with the fire rod as well, but bombs are easiest.

Id be down for a new first dungeon the length of TPs tutorial thats actually fun and gives you access to every single item, and teaches you to use them along the way quickly and in an engaging way. Provide a few hidden items for secret dungeons you can find from exploring. Bam.

Hidden items are always a good idea. I love how ALBW handled
the pegasus boots--not that they're especially hidden.
LttP is a pretty great model too, with things like the cape and the cane of byrna hiding out for adventurous players.

I agree the rental system could use a revision, but limiting the number of items a player can carry at once is a dangerous way to go about it. One of the pleasures of ALBW is the ease of exploration. If you've just got five minutes to play, you can spend it scouring one or two screens, confident you'll be rewarded for your effort. It takes almost no time to traverse the world, so when you have an idea, you can go test it out immediately. There is basically nothing between the player and the part of exploration that is actually enjoyable. Forcing the player to repeatedly check back in with Ravio and check out just a few items at the time would pad the length of the game and throw up major obstacles to the fun of exploring.

A better idea would be to do away with renting items and just give the player all the items. That way you can assume the player has everything when you're designing the dungeons. One of ALBW's biggest weaknesses is that each dungeon still turns on just one item, which tends to constrain puzzle design and make everything too simple. Plus it forecloses a lot of player creativity.

thats a great idea. I'm kind of hoping zelda u does this. all items from the start, open world, and dungeon you want from the start. but i'd hope they made some harder than others and some harder to get to. i hope they cut the fat on zelda u like they have on albw

Majukun

ok,found the final mineral and found all the maiamai sons

unfortunately,i didn't came back to the mother until i got all 100 of them,so now i have all the items upgraded but the game is almost finished

maybe i'l try th battl tower one more time and then i'll continue the story

Wensih

I don't really get the praise... Could someone explain why this game is being considered one of the greatest zeldas? I think it's a great game, but it feels like a re-skinned A Link to the Past -- which is my favorite Zelda.

EDIT: I'm 8 hours in and have completed 4 dark world dungeons so far.

Mik2121

Damn, I've played for about 5 hours already and haven't even gone to any of the two first dungeons (besides the very first place you go where you gain the wall painting skill thing, dunno the name in English).

I've been just walking around the map using a few of the items I got and entering random areas, lol. I guess I'll get going to one of the first two dungeons soon.

KarmaCow

I don't really get the praise... Could someone explain why this game is being considered one of the greatest zeldas? I think it's a great game, but it feels like a re-skinned A Link to the Past -- which is my favorite Zelda.

In contrast to the latest Zelda games, a LTTP-like game without all the fluff really stands out.

Majestad

Banned

It's better than A Link to the Past. That alone explains why there's so much praise about it, not to mention it has excellent level design, zero filler, fast/fluid gameplay, godly soundtrack, and more than anything, is just a blast to play.

Christopher

Its like visiting an old friend who's change it at their core remained the same

I love the life the NPCs introduced so much life in the SNES almost barren world

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

agreed. If we don't consider the completely different dungeons, plot, sidequests, npcs, minigames, music, heartpiece locations, items and mechanics it really feels like a reskinned ALTTP. It's practically a rip off

jokes aside, there's enough new stuff to differentiate it from its predecessor. Plus, it's fast, snappy, no filler, chock-full of secrets and dungeons, the best parts in any Zelda

Wensih

In contrast to the latest Zelda games, a LTTP-like game without all the fluff really stands out.

That's a very good point.

It's better than A Link to the Past. That alone explains why there's so much praise about it, not to mention it has excellent level design, zero filler, fast/fluid gameplay, godly soundtrack, and more than anything, is just a blast to play.

Understandable.

I feel the dungeons are a little too simple though; I've been in 2 or more that are only 2 floors and haven't really required in complex problem solving skills. I think there might be cool additions that weren't in ALTTP that gives the game some freshness, like the wall-painting ability, and the maimai crab search, but I'm not sure if I could call it better than ALTTP, if only because it relies so heavily on ALTTP.

Skab

That's a very good point.

Understandable.

I feel the dungeons are a little too simple though; I've been in 2 or more that are only 2 floors and haven't really required in complex problem solving skills. I think there might be cool additions that weren't in ALTTP that gives the game some freshness, like the wall-painting ability, and the maimai crab search, but I'm not sure if I could call it better than ALTTP, if only because it relies so heavily on ALTTP.

Probably worth remembering that the game is straight up ALTTP 2 in Japan.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

The non-linear nature is really fun, I greatly enjoyed being able to just wander around finding cracks and figuring out connectivity.

I think the Wall mechanic really does keep it from feeling like a re-tread of LttP for me. Just how the same overworld opens up in so many different ways with that ability, it means that I have to approach almost every screen differently in this game.

Top Bottom