• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

maxcriden

We don't need no Princess Hilda...
We don't need no Fire Rod...
No dark world known as Lorule
Tingle leave them elves alone
Hey! Tingle! Leave them elves alone!
All in all you're just another Link in the wall.
All in all you're just another Link in the wall.

"Wrong, Do it again!"
"If you don't eat yer Hylian Loach, you can't have any Lon Lon Milk. How can you
have any Lon Lon Milk if you don't eat yer Hylian Loach?"

Majukun

do we know where in the timeline this game is supposed to fit?

being LTTP 2 in japan before playing i thought it was a direct sequel,but seems more of a remake (story-wise)

watershed

Banned
do we know where in the timeline this game is supposed to fit?

being LTTP 2 in japan before playing i thought it was a direct sequel,but seems more of a remake (story-wise)

How is the story remake like? The story is probably the thing that is most different from ALTTP. Timeline wise this comes long after ALTTP. Its not the same Link.

Imagine if they make Zelda U as fast pacing wise as this game. It would be incredible. Actually OoT is pretty close to the same pacing. I was playing WWHD and was thinking the wall merging mechanic would be really cool in a 3d zelda. Would anybody else like to see it return? Maybe have less emphasis on it and treat it like any other item. And then introduce more items that could really alter the way you traverse areas. Although I can't think of anything off the top of my head that is as cool as wall merging. That really was an ingenious idea

lt519

Just finished 100% yesterday (mostly collecting all Heart Pieces and Maiaimai's). 3 deaths in the whole game, one early on when I only had 3 hearts and two from those damn fire breathing guys on Death Mountain (I explored a bit to early and got wrecked before I could evade). I got a bunch of game time in on a flight home (funny the kid next to me wanted to watch so I turned off 3D while he supervised my exploration of dungeons).

Dungeons were fantastic, over-world was very fun to explore, and the game-play oh so smooth.

It's also not often that I go beyond beating a game to collect everything I possibly can, but I just wanted to keep playing. Really tempting me to switch my GOTY pick to this from Ni No Kuni.

Going to start Hero Mode tonight.

Without looking at a clock or anything else to assist, I finished the "Collect rupees in 30 seconds" mini-game with exactly 0.00 seconds left. It was a miracle. The game gave me x3 on my rupee count. Should've been x1million.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I found the dungeons easy and short, but I never found them unsatisfying.

Just finished the first dungeon. It took me like 10 minutes and felt more like a mini dungeon than an actual one. Are the rest this insanely short? Ugh.

Majestad

Banned
Just finished the first dungeon. It took me like 10 minutes and felt more like a mini dungeon than an actual one. Are the rest this insanely short? Ugh.

The first three dungeons are not the "main" dungeons. The rest are longer, specially if you want to get every single treasure.

I just reached Lorule. The immediate difficulty spike is much appreciated, although I'm a bit concerned it won't last too long. Even if it doesn't, I'm absolutely loving this game so far and I don't think that will change. Zelda Team did fantastic.

Anth0ny

I finished the game in 17 hours.

I will take 17 hours of near perfection over 30 hours of padding and filler (Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess) any fucking day of the week.

Hero mode is a lot funner than I was expecting it to be. I'm not usually one for the only difference being enemies hitting harder, but it really does change your play style. I've already focused a lot more on heart containers (far far far more important when the difference in regular is going from 10 hits to 11 hits, and in hero it's going from 2 hits to 3 to die).

I've gotten far more selective in terms of rentals, and saving money to buy items outright. I wish more companies would remake/sequel classic games in this kind of way.

Finally beat it. Probably the best Zelda since...jeez, I don't know when. Minish Cap, maybe?

I had some doubts over the series' future since Skyward Sword, but if they continue in this direction I'll be looking very much forward to whatever they're planning.

ALREADY I can't wait to replay through the whole thing, but I have a bit much on my plate now. Hopefully sometime next spring!

Finished my last 3 dungeons today
and rescued all the sages
. Not sure if I should complete what left I have of the side quests or just go for the finish, hm...

Artorias

Banned
I finished it last night. It's a really solid, well crafted game. Great music, some fun dungeons, and really clever use of the merge ability..

But I'm a little bummed at how easy it was. I am pretty thorough in my first playthrough of a Zelda game and I usually refill fairies before entering a new dungeon (I never bothered to make potions), but I couldn't escape the feeling that I was never in any serious danger. Two of the bosses forced me to use a fairy but I never actually died. I only had 3 bottles by the end boss but I didn't even have to use one.

There were some secrets that were tough, and chests that were hard to get to but I really couldn't convince myself that I was being challenged. I have no problem saying its a top tier Zelda game, and the ridiculous amount of secrets and side quest stuff really makes it memorable, but I still wish the base game was tougher, and some of the dungeons were longer. Even some Dark World dungeons felt tiny, more like a treasure hunter cave.

I am excited for Hero mode but I won't be playing that for a few years most likely. I like to let Zelda games sit until I have forgotten most of the secrets and puzzle solutions. I have a pretty terrible memory for things like that, so it doesn't take too long haha.

Anyway, this is a longer post than I meant it to be. I really did enjoy the game, I just felt like I was preparing for a battle that never came.

Sanic

I've finished 5 dungeons.

I love the shorter length, personally. I feel like a lot of the dungeons in, say, TP overstay their welcome and were a bit hamstrung by the "find the key item halfway through" design. Obviously the shorter dungeons are conducive to a hand held, but it's something i'd like to see them return to in the future. There's a lot they could do with a more open world and an Elder Scrolls-like dungeon quantity.

Griss

I just reached
Lorule
last night. Reckon that's about 5 hours in. Enjoying it so far, even though I can already tell that it won't be one of my favourite Zeldas. The pacing is lightning quick, and there's no handholding. That's great. However the lack of a 'new' world to explore really dulls my enthusiasm - when I'm told to go to Kakariko I already know exactly where that is and where each house is. That's not what I want from Zelda. I also still dislike the floaty LttP combat.

On the other hand the game looks far better than the sprite work of LttP, the music is excellent, the dungeons were breezy fun and there are simply a ton of minigames and other things to do. The openness of the entire overworld is also wonderful. The rental system is absolute bullshit, however. It hasn't affected my enjoyment whatsoever though, because I'm simply restricting myself to getting one new item after every dungeon beaten. Problem solved.

My biggest problem, though, is that I was on a Seaplane today between Vancouver and Victoria in Canada and during the flight my 3DS must have fallen out of my jacket. Bye-bye 3DS! I feel kind of sick right now. The airport here doesn't have it, and they didn't find it on the plane. My last chance is Vancouver airport, so wish me luck in a couple of days.

I finished it last night. It's a really solid, well crafted game. Great music, some fun dungeons, and really clever use of the merge ability..

But I'm a little bummed at how easy it was. I am pretty thorough in my first playthrough of a Zelda game and I usually refill fairies before entering a new dungeon (I never bothered to make potions), but I couldn't escape the feeling that I was never in any serious danger. Two of the bosses forced me to use a fairy but I never actually died. I only had 3 bottles by the end boss but I didn't even have to use one.

There were some secrets that were tough, and chests that were hard to get to but I really couldn't convince myself that I was being challenged. I have no problem saying its a top tier Zelda game, and the ridiculous amount of secrets and side quest stuff really makes it memorable, but I still wish the base game was tougher, and some of the dungeons were longer. Even some Dark World dungeons felt tiny, more like a treasure hunter cave.

I am excited for Hero mode but I won't be playing that for a few years most likely. I like to let Zelda games sit until I have forgotten most of the secrets and puzzle solutions. I have a pretty terrible memory for things like that, so it doesn't take too long haha.

Anyway, this is a longer post than I meant it to be. I really did enjoy the game, I just felt like I was preparing for a battle that never came.

when you play it again play on hero mode and don't use bottles. that should give you a decent challenge.

Sober

Finished the game today, just a little over 20 hours, hunted down all the Maiamais, but did not grab all the bottles and had 18 hearts (but
nabbed all the dungeon loot, red mail and gold sword and all
).

Definitely was fun as hell. Now I feel bad because I had to learn my lesson and just explore and not rush unlike what I did with ALTTP. Also helped I just finished ALTTP so most of the world/secret areas and just generally where to go was pretty easy right off the bat rather than having to acclimate to a new world.

I think the best part about this game was just enjoying myself the entire time. I remember just stopping for a moment to say, "This is Zelda."

I hope the next handheld Zelda is also top down.

Hoping the next zelda game takes some queues from this, but takes it even further.

Keep the free flow of dungeons, but instead of being handed the items (even just to rent), make gathering the items part of world exploration. Drop hints by dungeons where to look for the items necessary to advance.

I can't tell you how much fun I had exploring the world, but there would be a greater sense of accomplishment I feel, if all of the parts came from exploration versus simply farming a bit of money and having everything you need in all situations always.

I just realized that I completed the game without getting the Pegasus Boots lol.

You activate the first switch with your sword and immediately drop a bomb, so just as you clear the first gate the bomb goes off and activates the second gate. From there on out it's just clever bomb use.

They've got a picture of the different text on Nintendo 3DS Daily:

PegasusBootsDungeonCongrats.jpg

I did it this way. Didn't realize that they would pick up on it.

In regards to the story
I saw Hilda turning on you from a mile away but didn't expect that Ravio was Lorule's Link.

I just realized that I completed the game without getting the Pegasus Boots lol.

Don't worry, I just discovered
upgrading an owned item for every 10 maimais collected
before I entered my seventh dungeon, the
Ice Ruins

I love that there is a lot to miss. No hand holding here!

Don't feel too bad, I was half way through the dark world before I got them myself. I kept running into places and going "Why the heck haven't I found them yet?" Felt pretty obvious the bandit had them but I couldn't figure out how to catch him. Once I realized it was the wall thing I felt pretty dumb about it.

To be fair, I missed this super easy solve on 2-3 different occasions in the game because I got into a very LttP mindset. Fell into old habits and old problem solving skills. Took me till the latter half of Lorule to really get into it. Gotten much better about it in general on Hero playthrough... damn Lorule is bruuuutal in hero mode.

In regards to the story
I saw Hilda turning on you from a mile away but didn't expect that Ravio was Lorule's Link.

Likewise
it was pretty obvious with Hilda with the way she was acting with Zelda's paintings, that and when you first meet Yuga he comments on how pleased "her Highness" will be. I didn't see the Ravio thing until just before it happened. As soon as he showed up in the ending I fully expected what happened to happen and it all kind of clicked in place."

Don't feel too bad, I was half way through the dark world before I got them myself. I kept running into places and going "Why the heck haven't I found them yet?" Felt pretty obvious the bandit had them but I couldn't figure out how to catch him. Once I realized it was the wall thing I felt pretty dumb about it.

So that's what he was for. I thought that you had to catch him using the boots and then he would give you rupees or something as a bribe.

Vibed

To chime in, despite the dungeons being short and not very difficult, I found many puzzles rather clever (especially the secret prizes to be discovered in the Dark Palace). I liked getting creative with many of the dungeons' puzzles, solving them through several different methods like using bombs or fire rod and wall merge or hookshot. It really highlights the advantages of bringing more than one item into a dungeon!

I asked this earlier in the thread but wasn't given the right answer. How do I destroy the flat cracked stone slabs that are found in some caves? I can't figure it out, and I've tried every weapon I can buy from Ravio.

Holmes

I asked this earlier in the thread but wasn't given the right answer. How do I destroy the flat cracked stone slabs that are found in some caves? I can't figure it out, and I've tried every weapon I can buy from Ravio.
The big boulders? Use the bomb flower from a salesman near Kakariko village.

edit: wait, in the caves? I dunno what you're talking about. Sorry. :/

The big boulders? Use the bomb flower from a salesman near Kakariko village.

edit: wait, in the caves? I dunno what you're talking about. Sorry. :/

Yeah, in caves. I would try to find a picture but I'm on my iPad right now. I see them in the single room caves with just treasure chests. It looks like a square stone that's cracked.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Dug it and beat it. Didn't expect to get so much mileage out of the "become a drawing" mechanic, but I loved it.

Not bothering with Hero mode.

Played for around 5 hours today. I got the game at release but for some reason stopped playing for a while. Picked it up last night at around 3 or 4 AM and play until 8am. Slept til 3pm, then played on and off until 10pm. In roughly 7-9 hours, I only took on one temple. The entire rest of the time I was just exploring and having the time of my life. This game is a true work of art, man oh man. The music, the gameplay, everything is just beautiful; it is everything I ever could have wished for in a portable Zelda and more.

Now I have all 100 baby squid things and honestly I think I have every single power up except for whatever the Lorule dude gives you from 2 pieces of ore. I just beat the 50 (death mountain spoiler)
floor challenge, what a freaking blast. Still need to beat it one more time to get the net so I take back my previous statement of unlocking everything
. Welp, one more dungeon to go :)

Velcro Fly

16 hours in

Still have two dungeons plus whatever endgame there is to complete.

I believe I only need a couple heart pieces as well and I can already see one that I get by
exiting out of Turtle Rock

I have all my items upgraded other than the
lantern and net
and all bottles. Not sure if I'm going to mess with hero mode.

Only systems I have are 3DS and Vita so this might be my game of the year. Extremely strong year for the 3DS and this might be the best game.

I think I'll play it again like I do with Ocarina of Time from time to time. It's so good. Everything about it is just so good. And it doesn't overstay it's welcome and doesn't feel padded at all.

Can someone remind me where the Hyrule blacksmith is? I can't find him, been searching around the Kakariko Village area.

Nevermind, just happened to find it.

The only thing I disliked about the game was what they did to the lost woods and how they added a new song to the bulk of it that was garbage compared to the original and remake in the earlier part of the woods.

Albo

Yeah, in caves. I would try to find a picture but I'm on my iPad right now. I see them in the single room caves with just treasure chests. It looks like a square stone that's cracked.

These ones?

ABLW-HP-07b.png

You can't as far as I know. No idea why they put them there. Maybe for the sake of variety which barely adds any but they ended up confusing people moreso.

Just completed by second dungeon in Lorules - Swamp Palace. Found it very challenging dungeon and had stop and come back to it after a sleep to work out how to finish it. Is that a rather confusing/difficult one? Or am I going to find the rest of the dungeons this difficult?

Majukun

just finished the game..still had two slots free in the inventory..one was probably one of the fruit i didn't bought,one..i suppose another bottle?

now i don't know if trying to get 100% without looking at any guide at all or use one and don't waste time..are there in this game any secrets that are "too well hidden" to be found by just exploring?

anyway,good final boss battle too,all in all,it's really good zelda game

guek

Banned
So I asked earlier but got no answer. Are there any consequences to using a continue after dying or are there any easter eggs at the end that require specific circumstances?

Top Bottom