• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

Yeah, a polygonal reconstruction of a 20 year old game without a ton of bells and whistles, and not exactly a visually intensive game any way you slice it. There are 3DS games that are farrrrrrrr more complex.

Could be worse, it could be Pokemon X/Y : P

At least you can get 60 fps in 3D mode most of the time here. I do agree there are frame rate issues, but it doesn't happen often (when I was playing).

To be sure, they only occur in certain circumstances, and don't seriously affect the playability of the game. Like I said though, it's a bit surprising given the overall amount of polish the rest of the game has, and seems very un-Nintendo. I experienced minor stutters in various areas, but around Kakariko Village seemed to be the most consistently inconsistent, probably because of the number of structures. Just felt it was worth a mention. Same thing with the brief pause when transitioning between worlds. Kinda surprised they didn't do a better job masking the load more seamlessly. These things only stick out like sore thumbs because they're present in an otherwise very tightly crafted experience.

Talon

I was a bit caught off guard by some of the framerate hiccups. It seemed like merging into the wall in certain areas taxed the engine, and there were a handful of areas where screen transitions seriously made the game stutter. For such a polished overall experience it was odd to see that sort of inconsistency. Seemed like a very un-Nintendo touch, and surprising because it's basically a gussied up version of a 20 year old game. Weird.
Hmm...I didn't really notice any of these.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the sequences with a lot of "depth," though.

Albo

So what's the deal with the Hinox
in the cave? Is he just there to get easy money from, (plus the LOZ reference)? I tried each item on him when he's enraged but nothing really happens. Nice bombs can actually block his path and if you run into him with Pegasus boots you'll budge him out of the way.

Getting enough rupees in this game already very easy, as it the case with most recent zelda's. The problem with the hinox is that you can repeat the situation over and over by going back to hyrule then back to the hinox in lorule again. I've gotten at least 400r each visit. Actually, even though it's based on luck, you can probably make quicker, bigger bucks from the chest minigame in lorule, at least it seems like it to me, plus there's the several hundred you get from advanced treacherous tower but I had enough rupees outside of doing these methods anyway. They need to make rupees more scarce in future games or more as rewards from places like treacherous tower.

I only just realised you can
use the three rods
in octo baseball which is pretty cool. It took me a while to get a hang of this game, but I'm loving it now trying to beat my high scores. I can understand why people get frustrated with it at first, the mechanics and timing aren't the easiest to get a grasp of but once you understand how things work, it's enjoyable.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I guess it's all relative, I've been playing Zelda games for nearly 10 years and it took me 11.5 hours to finish, 15.5 hours to 100% :p
Maybe it's a difference in play style or something. I like taking my sweet time, especially since there's so few games that interest me over the next 6+ months. I also spent at least three hours specifically looking for the pegasus boots, haha.

Maybe it's a difference in play style or something. I like taking my sweet time, especially since there's so few games that interest me over the next 6+ months. I also spent at least three hours specifically looking for the pegasus boots, haha.

My 100% Clear Time was almost 22 hours and I've been playing Zelda games since the first one launched in the US. My buddy who started with Link to the Past and never played the NES ones beat it in like 14 hours.

Finished it a while back took me about 25 hours, but I took me sweet time. Must of spend a hour or so just listening to the band in the milk bar, would stop in and listen to a song everything I was in town. Got everything but 3 or so heart peices.

Just a fantastic game, my GOTY and the best Zelda game since Wind Waker IMHO. The maminals sidequest was great and I usually don't bother to go out of my way to try and find all of them with quest like these in games, but the map showing how many were in each area, plus having all the items early on so never getting frustrated that I knew one was around but would have to come back later made getting all 100 so much fun. It's one of the points that made the item rental system really shine.

I really want MM 3D now but would also take a another game like this in a heartbeat.

Have a question about those lion things, on the normal difficulty those guys could just fuck me up in a few seconds and I never found a easy or effective way to fight them beyond just hitting them with my sword a lot. Is there a trick or a item that does a lot of damage? Going to start a hero mode play through soon and don't want to be even more terrified of them. Thanks for any help.

Blues1990

Have a question about those lion things, on the normal difficulty those guys could just fuck me up in a few seconds and I never found a easy or effective way to fight them beyond just hitting them with my sword a lot. Is there a trick or a item that does a lot of damage? Going to start a hero mode play through soon and don't want to be even more terrified of them. Thanks for any help.

Until you become better equipped to take them on head-first, it would be wise to avoid them at all costs. If you want to be daring, the best way to take care of the Lynels is to either freeze them with the Ice Rod, using the Fire Rod to damage them from a distance, or to use the Hyilian Shield to bump them off the ledge.

Cool thanks. Yeah the only time I died was the first time I saw one of them and just rushed in thinking "I got this" that mother fucker shut me down hard, happened so fast I wasn't even sure what happened. Lol. It was tramatic, was scared of them the rest of the game. Can't even imagine what they are like in Hero Mode.

I'm sure I spent around 40 minutes trying to figure out how to access 2 rooms in the Dark Palace.
One to get the ore for the master sword and I think the other was just a fairy room..
. Felt good after I finally figured it out

Videoneon

How do I get to this Ore mine?! Ugh

Are you doing the milk sidequest?

First, take the hookshot.

Warp to the Tower of Hera, move to the right once you teleport and use the hookshot to take you over the gap in the bridge by aiming at the wooden post (the ones that look like you can use the hammer on them.)

From then on, it's fairly straightforward. Avoid the fire-breathing enemies (moblins?) as they'll fuck you up fierce and do a ton of damage. The little dodongo things can be killed with the hammer. Progress as far as you can until you get inside the volcano. After a while you'll be taken to an octagonal platform with three walls. Wrap around the southern wall and wait for a platform to move underneath you. You'll get to the stranded guy shortly after.

i cant find OoT 3d in stores anyhwere! Bastards beat me to the punch! I was fiending for more Zelda after i beat this and it seems a lot of people had the same idea because the game is sold out everywhere i go!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
So, without going into spoiler territory, do they ever explain if there is a connection between the original Dark World and Lorule?

Weilthain

Banned
Been playing for a few hours now, just finished the second dungeon.

This game is amazing, especially the tight snappy controls.

Also I love how fast paced the game is, especially compared to windwaker HD which I'm currently playing as well.

Playing on a 2ds.

2ds kicks ass and is cute.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Okay I have a quick question I would appreciate an answer on.

Do I get the ability to lift those larger boulders in a dungeon or is it something I find in the world?

I've done 4 of the Lorule dungeons already and still am not able to lift the big boulders (I'm not talking about the ones you blow up with the giant bomb.)

All I need to know is do I get it in a dungeon, or do I find it in the world?

If I find it in the world, can someone tell me a general area?

Thanks, it's been bugging me all game. Gotta get all those mai-mais!

Anteo

Okay I have a quick question I would appreciate an answer on.

Do I get the ability to lift those larger boulders in a dungeon or is it something I find in the world?

I've done 4 of the Lorule dungeons already and still am not able to lift the big boulders (I'm not talking about the ones you blow up with the giant bomb.)

All I need to know is do I get it in a dungeon, or do I find it in the world?

If I find it in the world, can someone tell me a general area?

Thanks, it's been bugging me all game. Gotta get all those mai-mais!

Dungeon

Kirlia

Banned
So what's the deal with the Hinox
in the cave? Is he just there to get easy money from, (plus the LOZ reference)? I tried each item on him when he's enraged but nothing really happens. Nice bombs can actually block his path and if you run into him with Pegasus boots you'll budge him out of the way.

He's
impossible to kill, I believe.

Christopher

Hey guys I have a quick question which wasn't answered last night:

Where do I find Rosario's Orre mine...I swear I looked everywhere and the signs lead me to a place where I can not access. Thanks I'd appreciate it.

I'm telling you this has been the best Zelda game in AGES. Love every minute of it.

Anteo

Was about to ask that too. What about the
Pegasus boots? Are they also in a dungeon or is it in that big chest when you warp into Lorule through the Sanctuary? Can't seem to find a way to get to it right now.

Just a hint, but spoiler tagged aniways; Talk to
the kid near the bandit who stole the orb from the Zoras,
he will give you a hint

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys I have a quick question which wasn't answered last night:

Where do I find Rosario's Orre mine...I swear I looked everywhere and the signs lead me to a place where I can not access. Thanks I'd appreciate it.

I'm telling you this has been the best Zelda game in AGES. Love every minute of it.
There's no area that really looks like an ore mine. There's just the giant volcano. Unless I somehow missed it, too? I found that part pretty confusing. I kept on looking for mine carts or tracks or something.

Mik2121

Maybe this was posted before but... what's the deal with the JP advertising for the game? It's straight from the 80's and 90's with the cheap rap, lol! ( I kinda like it though, maybe it's a nod to how they used to advertise the Zelda games back then?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PweHhaUC8GY

Anyway, bought the game today. Will probably play it mostly during my 15 hour flight in a couple days...

Instro

I'm mostly through the game and I have to say that I'm pretty disappointed with how easy it is. The puzzles are challenging but everything else requires such minimal effort. They were moving in the right direction with SS, as well as with WWHD by offering hero mode from the get go, but this is such a step back. Easiest Zelda game I've ever played. Everything else is great, although if they move forward with the idea of acquiring items outside of dungeons hopefully they do something more interesting than a shop. Also, why are there 5 bottles? Kind of lazy there.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I'm mostly through the game and I have to say that I'm pretty disappointed with how easy it is. The puzzles are challenging but everything else requires such minimal effort. They were moving in the right direction with SS, as well as with WWHD by offering hero mode from the get go, but this is such a step back. Easiest Zelda game I've ever played. Everything else is great, although if they move forward with the idea of acquiring items outside of dungeons hopefully they do something more interesting than a shop. Also, why are there 5 bottles? Kind of lazy there.
I hope you've never been hit in your play through so far, or else don't complain about Hero mode not being selectable from the get-go.

Anteo

Of course I've been hit, I don't really see what that has to do with anything.

Hero mode is: 2 hit KO in the early game. 1 hit KO in the mid game unless you have max heart pieces. Then its 2-3 hit KO again until the last few dugeons
It's pretty much imposible to beat without an strategy on what to get first/later and knowing the enemy attacks beforehand.

Madouu

Ferrio

Banned
Maybe this was posted before but... what's the deal with the JP advertising for the game? It's straight from the 80's and 90's with the cheap rap, lol! ( I kinda like it though, maybe it's a nod to how they used to advertise the Zelda games back then?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PweHhaUC8GY

It's a rap that was in the original Link to the Past commercial..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjpHzLYHkwA

Started this a week ago, nearing the end and it's making me sad.

Bought all the items, got my master sword upgraded all the way, found all the squid babies. Still missing heart containers but don't really care that much about them.

Firebrand

Yeah, I'm gonna have to do some serious crow eating on this one. I thought the game looked like garbage when I first saw it.

I think I'm at the final dungeon now and I'd probably rank it as my #2 or #3 favorite Zelda, with ALTTP still claiming the first spot. Been having a really good time with it.

Instro

Hero mode is: 2 hit KO in the early game. 1 hit KO in the mid game unless you have max heart pieces. Then its 2-3 hit KO again until the last few dugeons
It's pretty much imposible to beat without an strategy on what to get first/later and knowing the enemy attacks beforehand.
I'm sure its difficult, but my point was that the normal game is absurdly easy.

Top Bottom