• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

Just started Lorule and I'm really enjoying the game so far. It's exciting exploring the overworld and encountering random strangers and completing quests for them or taking part in mini games. I missed Skyward Sword not having that feature with the exception of Skyloft. However, and this is my opinion. The dungeons in this game so far having done 3, feel largely forgettable. Easy and very short. No real stand out moments, however that could change once the other dungeons open up.

Anyway, I'm having trouble finding the guy you need
to deliver the premium milk to. I traveled to Hera's Tower and went east to the mining ore. Jumped through all the platforms, exited out of the magma cavern and no one to to talk to.

monlo

Anyway, I'm having trouble finding the guy you need
to deliver the premium milk to. I traveled to Hera's Tower and went east to the mining ore. Jumped through all the platforms, exited out of the magma cavern and no one to to talk to.

you need to exit the magma area from the south, then wall over to the right

Jetman

The only thing that annoys me about this game so far is that Link is a lowly Blacksmith apprentice/delivery boy. After saving the world and recovering the Tri-Force they couldn't at least give him a room in the castle and make him commander of the royal army or something?

The game looks way better in motion than what the static pics represent, enjoying it so far...

Rich!

The only thing that annoys me about this game so far is that Link is a lowly Blacksmith apprentice/delivery boy. After saving the world and recovering the Tri-Force they couldn't at least give him a room in the castle and make him commander of the royal army or something?

The game looks way better in motion than what the static pics represent, enjoying it so far...

Uh. It takes place hundreds of years after LTTP. It's not the same Link, dude. Just like in most Zelda games.

Jito

Banned
So I've only got two dungeons left to do in Lorule and have only just found out where and how to upgrade my stuff, I'd been collecting the little guys anyway but forgot to got back to the cave for upgrades. What is the point in the upgrades? It's just making the game even easier when I'm expecting it to get a bit harder with the end coming up, wish I hadn't upgraded them now.

Also I'm really unsure about the item system still seeing as I had most of the items purchased by the time I was finishing the 1st dungeon in Lorule. I didn't grind at all to get the 4k rupees, I just had loads because there is no other real rupee dumps in the game. I think the system would have worked better if other things cost more in the game or fast travelling and maybe dying cost you rupees. It's kinda took out the magic of the items for me to be honest.

Other than that game is fantastic and the best Zelda I've played since MM and easily now my favourite handheld Zelda. May be my GOTY if Hero mode kicks my ass.

jaz013

Banned
OK, this is game is kicking my @ss, died three time already, had to rush out of
the Dark Palace
beacuse I almost die. Also, got stuck on
Thief's Hideout, since I can't find a way to get the key to free the thief girl
. Best Zelda since OOT/MM, hoping they keep or even up the formula and we get the "Selda Souls" the "fans" keep asking and finally hear the end to that.

Celine

And Gunman Clive ;)
A few memory banks got burnt in my brain when I played (and beat) duck mode :p

Every Link is just another Link in the wall :p

Jetman

Uh. It takes place hundreds of years after LTTP. It's not the same Link, dude. Just like in most Zelda games.

Whaaat.....I though this was supposed to be a 'direct' sequel to Link to the Past? Weren't the Gravedigger and Seres (the two in front of the Sanctuary at the beginning of the game) in ALTTP?

OK, this is game is kicking my @ss, died three time already, had to rush out of
the Dark Palace
beacuse I almost die. Also, got stuck on
Thief's Hideout, since I can't find a way to get the key to free the thief girl
. Best Zelda since OOT/MM, hoping they keep or even up the formula and we get the "Selda Souls" the "fans" keep asking and finally hear the end to that.

In the area with the thief girl there is a cell on the upper left corner. In it is a crack in a wall that you can bomb or throw the bomb enemy there. Enter the crack and go left into the wall. Go down and you will then enter the bottom left cell with a switch. Use the switch to get above the cell. Walk across the ledge to get above the cell that has the bomb enemy that you were just in. Drop down at the very top and enter the open door there. You will enter a dark room (equipping the lamp will help) with 5 statue like enemies that take a lot of hits to die and can kill you fairly easily. They will rush you. I recommend standing in a corner and letting them come one by one. Once all 5 die a chest will lower that has the key needed to unlock Thief Girl.

It's not the same Link :)

I've been enjoying the game a lot so far...much more than I thought I would. My favorite part is how it is just so damn compelling to go out and explore the world, having access to most items very soon, you rarely get into the situation where you would really love to find the way to someplace but have no gear to get there yet. I've finished 5 dungeons so far, and I spent most of my time simply exploring the world.

I just purchased the zelda 3dsxl and i can't believe i lost my copy of 3D land because it was attached to system and not in my history.

Bullshit

CS basically said my best option would be to buy it again.

Don't go digital GAF

lol @ beef

gimmicky 3D? wall-merging not interesting? annoying NPCs? no feeling of progression or advancement in dungeons due to item system?

I completely 100% disagree with each one of those. Aside from the fact that the 3D is amazingly implemented and essential, and that wall-merging leads to some the series greatest dungeons/puzzles of all time; as you tackle the games dungeons you personally encounter new obstacles and learn new tactics, earn more hearts, and encounter certain specific items in them. progression also comes from discovering overworld stuff and crafting upgrades or doing side quest stuff. Why does item acquisition have to be tied to dungeons? It has lead to semi-tired dungeon design.

whatever, this is one of the finest games i've played in the last ten years. i may even go so far as to call it a masterpiece but I'm not through yet

Jito

Banned
Another awesome example:

screen-shot-2013-11-08-at-5.00.19-pm.png

Such graphics.

Good troll attempt, seen that same troll image a few times saying the graphics were bad. Are you playing this with a magnifying glass because my screen isn't that size or close to my face.

Khaz

About the difficulty I wanted to do a no-death run but I just noticed they got rid of the death counter at the file select screen. Combined with the obligation to take the boss hearts I feel replayability was tweaked down.

Serrato

About the difficulty I wanted to do a no-death run but I just noticed they got rid of the death counter at the file select screen. Combined with the obligation to take the boss hearts I feel replayability was tweaked down.

Death Count shows at the end of the game.

You are not obligated in any way to take the Hearts Boss. Just wait a couple of seconds and the pendant will appear. This is unlike ALTTP where you had to take them to have the pendants/crystal.

Brandson

I played this game all weekend. Although the Link to the Past graphics and overall vibe are better, this is the best looking 3DS game I have. It's also a lot of fun, right from the start. Being able to start playing almost immediately is appreciated, and the wall mechanic works much better than I anticipated. It allows for some creative puzzle solving that isn't always immediately obvious, but is always solvable without frustration. It doesn't feel as gimmicky as the gameplay aspects introduced by the previous DS Zelda games. I like this game a lot.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Another awesome example:

screen-shot-2013-11-08-at-5.00.19-pm.png

Such graphics.

While there could be some points worthy of discussion in the first post you made, you're going to have a hard time finding anyone willing to take the time to debate them seriously with you when you follow up with this trollish cherry picking of a low quality screenshot and combining it with a snarky meme comment.

flowsnake

How to open the chest in a cave in Lorule's desert?
The one where you have to control the wind and sand, i already press 2 buttons that turn on the fan. and i have no idea what to do next.

Where is this exactly? There isn't really a desert in Lorule so I'm not sure if I'm in the right area.

I like those little mini dungeon/treasure hunter places but they are quite hidden.

Well.... I caved.... HAD NO intrest in getting this but I got the limited edition 3DS cause they were selling it at work...... I remembered the frenzy over the Pikachu 3DS and they sold that here too and it lasted months after people had been reselling it. ( I work at a hospital )

Anyway... I have the original 3DS that I'm not selling (black with a triforce decal) and then I have a XL blue that I got that came with Mario Kart... but now I have 3...3DS's

Do you guys trade it in? Should I trade in my blue one? What do I do?

Well.... I caved.... HAD NO intrest in getting this but I got the limited edition 3DS cause they were selling it at work...... I remembered the frenzy over the Pikachu 3DS and they sold that here too and it lasted months after people had been reselling it. ( I work at a hospital )

Anyway... I have the original 3DS that I'm not selling (black with a triforce decal) and then I have a XL blue that I got that came with Mario Kart... but now I have 3...3DS's

Do you guys trade it in? Should I trade in my blue one? What do I do?

try to sell it locally via kjiji or ebay.

StAidan

I agree with you pretty much completely except the difficulty. Comparatively, I think ALttP is a much more difficult game. I haven'tdied once in ALBW (although I'm only about ~4 dungeons in).

I had a tendency to think the same thing at first, because I died a fair amount in LttP when I first played it. But in any of my recent playthroughs (over the past 10 years or so), I don't think I've died at all. In fact, I feel like my skill level between the two games about the same, which would make sense since they are so similar.

The two highest points of difficulty for me in LttP were always the ice dungeon and Turtle Rock, the others were pretty cake. I don't know yet whether ALBW will present comparable experiences, but I guess I'll find out soon :)

DaBoss

There is a mini-dungeon in the desert area in Lorule that is next to the first portal that takes you there and it requires you to use the Sand Rod and the Tornado Rod.

Solution:
Use the Sand Rod to get to the platform opposite of the treasure chest. Then use the Sand Rod to create a "bridge" towards the chest. Only stating Sand Rod placements since it should be obvious when to use the Tornado Rod..

daydream

Banned
I don't own the systems to play 3D World and Tearaway on, but I sure as hell can play Zelda on my XL. Went ahead and picked it up today! I can't remember if I ever beat ALttP on the GBA. Probably I did. I spent a lot of time with that game.

flowsnake

There is a mini-dungeon in the desert area in Lorule that is next to the first portal that takes you there and it requires you to use the Sand Rod and the Tornado Rod.

Solution:
Use the Sand Rod to get to the platform opposite of the treasure chest. Then use the Sand Rod to create a "bridge" towards the chest. Only stating Sand Rod placements since it should be obvious when to use the Tornado Rod..

Whoops I remember going there before I got the sand rod now. Thanks. :)

Conezays

I agree with you pretty much completely except the difficulty. Comparatively, I think ALttP is a much more difficult game. I haven'tdied once in ALBW (although I'm only about ~4 dungeons in).

I agree with this. Loving the game, but it is definitely a bit easier and easier to follow than LTTP. I replayed LTTP recently on the Shield (which was a fantastic experience :) and there were definitely some challenging boss fights/puzzles.

Conezays

Good troll attempt, seen that same troll image a few times saying the graphics were bad. Are you playing this with a magnifying glass because my screen isn't that size or close to my face.

Anyone who's played a 3DS knows games (or at least the majority of them) look MUCH better running in motion. I wasn't wholly enthused about the look of the game based on preview pictures/videos but playing the game myself, I think it looks great. The 3D effect looks wonderful and appropriate for the game.

Any tips for the Baseball minigame? I can't seem to get the hang of it.

You need to hit 3 pots in a row to make the crow comes which gives 20 points. Similar to baseball, swinging early will make the ball go to the right; swinging on time = middle, swinging late = left. So play to plan to snag 3 pots, then hit the bird (it's very lenient on hitting the bird, seems pretty much guaranteed to hit it regardless of whether you swing early or late - or seemed that way to me). Then hit 3 more pots and another bird will come. When you start getting low on pots in the middle, change your stance by using the analog stick so you can hit the pots in the far back. Also, you can try to hit one of the monsters to make the pots respawn if you get low. Keep trying to hit 3 pots in a row to make more birds come for easy points.

Only took me 2 attempts to get 100 points for the heart piece.

I haven't played the baseball game yet but how different is it from Oracle of Age's baseball game?

What exactly does hero mode change? No heart drops and 2x damage?

Top Bottom