• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

I bought this game just an hour ago. The clerk said, "oh, Zelda, pretty retro, eh?" And then he went on for a while about Nintendo and how he doesn't play them much any more, and told me about Black Friday deals that other stores have. Society's greatest issue is people who don't know when to stop talking.

On the plus side, I have this game. I'll probably save it for car rides next week.

Madouu

Dammit, how did I miss that stupid octopus?! Well, let's collect them all now.

It knew you were going to be mean to it so it hid!

There's a bunch of stuff people have been missing due to the nature of the game, stuff such as
the pegasus boots, how to get a second quick equip slot, bottles and the Mai Mai
. And this is without mentioning the usual hidden heart containers, chests and fairy fountains. It's pretty interesting to see.

is the second item slot missable? Just got the master sword and aint got that yet

But I DID get the Pegasus boots and glove all by myself, so shut up

Garcia

Just venting a little bit of the frustration that built up at Turtle Rock. LOL

I bailed out after spending 5 minutes without knowing what else to do (as you reach the first stairs). I went to another dungeon, the Swamp Palace. How I love the amount of detail and that every dungeon has its own theme. <3

DaBoss

is the second item slot missable? Just got the master sword and aint got that yet

But I DID get the Pegasus boots and glove all by myself, so shut up
I got all 3 all by myself, so SIT DOWN SON.

Yes, it is missable. Go to the southern forest area left of Link's house (the one with the stump in the middle).

I just finished with 100% aside from streetpassing. The ending was pretty cool, but I have one question about it.

What was the "answer" to the Majora's Mask remake requests Aonuma teased a while back? I didn't notice anything related to Majora's Mask in the ending.

Ragus

Banned
Just finished my 1st dungeon in Lorule. This game just keeps on giving. Not only the dungeon was very enertaining -
Thieves Hideout
, but after finishing it, I found a hole in a ground, which
took me to a Pegasus Boots test with 300 ruppes.

The overwold is stunning in this Zelda. It's so, I dunno, alive? And it's packed with content. I enjoy walking around Hy/Lo as much as I enjoy completing dungeons. I don't want to say anything to early, but it really may top LA, WW and OoT as my favourite entry in the series.

Tuck

Ha, are you suggesting that's the only improvement ALBW makes over Spirit Tracks? Because there are certainly much more meaningful changes than that, starting with the fact it uses an analog stick and buttons rather than the polarizing stylus scheme.
Controls were the least of the DS games' problems.ALBW is better in every way, I agree with that.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I saw the Hilda thing coming from the first time she talked to the Zelda painting fairly early on in Lorule. You could just tell she was jealous by the wording they used. Subtle, but effective IMO.

I called it
the moment Yuga first opened his mouth and said "Her grace will be pleased" in his very first scene.

jmls1121

Banned
It knew you were going to be mean to it so it hid!

There's a bunch of stuff people have been missing due to the nature of the game, stuff such as
the pegasus boots, how to get a second quick equip slot, bottles and the Mai Mai
. And this is without mentioning the usual hidden heart containers, chests and fairy fountains. It's pretty interesting to see.

Its amazing. Its like old school zelda. I have never really been a critic of the "hand holding" in recent zelda games, but making things obtuse like in LBTW makes the game play entirely different.

I got the 2nd slot but i don't have the pegasus boots yet. And I will NOT be looking for help online, which imo is tantamount to cheating in a game like this.

I bought this game just an hour ago. The clerk said, "oh, Zelda, pretty retro, eh?" And then he went on for a while about Nintendo and how he doesn't play them much any more, and told me about Black Friday deals that other stores have. Society's greatest issue is people who don't know when to stop talking.

On the plus side, I have this game. I'll probably save it for car rides next week.

I picked this up a couple days ago (saving it for Thanksgiving weekend) and the Gamestop clerk barely acknowledged my existence. He made a couple jokes with the cute girl working with him, slowly searched for the copies that weren't pre-ordered, then mumbled something about the rewards card before ringing up my total and shoving the game and receipt at me without a bag.

It was poor customer service, but still better than the usual, which is what you described. I have no idea why some clerks want to ramble on about what I'm buying and how much they do or do not like it.

Blues1990

I guess this is considered an off-topic post, but it is Zelda-related, so whatever.

Anyway, I've recently purchased some old video game-related LP's/audio CD's in a sale, and this was one of them. (There was also this album called Toy Music: Dancing Super Mario Bros., which included a dance track that retells the back story of the NES Zelda game.)

Haha reminds me of when people say it didn't look "lived in".

I still don't understand what that was supposed to mean :lol

On a different note, did I miss any ores in one of the dungeons? I've got one in I think
Thieves' Town
and the one in the
Dark Sanctuary
. The only dungeon I've yet to do is the one on Death Mountain.

Voror

Any tips for the intermediate race in Hyrule? I've got the Pegasus Boots but I just can't seem to get near close enough in time.

Quoting for new page.

Here are some of Zelda and Hilda:
qfTquT2.png
2KRpRyb.png
wJrRvuG.png
zmLMCQ4.png
WVNmCVI.png

Moff

Finally finished it.

19.5 hours
30500 collected rupees
0 deaths
20 hearts
100 maimais

And not a single minute i did not enjoy this great game
Easily goty for me and one of the top 3 zelda games ever made. Thank you nintendo.

And now right into hero mode, which i'll probably enjoy even more

Feep

Banned
I've kind of cancelled/postponed that project though... it wasn't going very well. And honestly I'm pretty glad I'm not working on it while I'm playing aLbW. It's not an easy standard to live up to.
Bro! But it looks so cool...

What are you working on now?

jwhit28

It's funny that one of the design philosophies behind this Zelda was trimming the fat when all I want is more. Forget remakes and do another top down Zelda as a follow up to Majora's Mask. Maybe even use both Hyrule and Termina.

daydream

Banned
Started this up and couldn't stop playing for 2+ hours. Looks and plays wonderfully. Can't wait to sink some more hours into this.

I'm still loving the Link model, it's so good. So goddamn good.

I just finished with 100% aside from streetpassing. The ending was pretty cool, but I have one question about it.

What was the "answer" to the Majora's Mask remake requests Aonuma teased a while back? I didn't notice anything related to Majora's Mask in the ending.
There were some slight hints that point to Lorule maybe being Termina. Such as majoras mask, people wearing masks to become monsters, and some other subtle things such as them even talking about the moon crashing.

However I think it was perhaps lost in translation and that Aonuma didnt intend to hint at MM. I think he meant more along the lines of asking people to play ALBW before asking for MM remake. I think he just meant for people to stop focusing on the next project when his current one hadn't released yet.

Aonuma didn't direct this game.
Doesn't change that he had an influence over the project. Including at one point when all the staff was taken to develop Nintendoland he was working on the project with two other people for awhile.
I still don't understand what that was supposed to mean :lol

On a different note, did I miss any ores in one of the dungeons? I've got one in I think
Thieves' Town
and the one in the
Dark Sanctuary
. The only dungeon I've yet to do is the one on Death Mountain.
theres one you can get in the desert palace and another you can get if you go to Lorule's sanctuary. However with two of them you can still upgrade your sword.

Just finished the game and it really invigorated my enjoyment of the series. Hopefully the Wii U title takes notes. I find it puzzling reviewers and users here who complained about it not feeling like an adventure or dungeons not being satisfying because of Ravio's shops with the items. Every dungeon except the first three have items in it and even the first three build on newly introduced mechanics/items.

Now I want a spinoff title with Ravio and Hilda.

BY2K

Membero Americo
After having played this game, I'm excited AS FUCK for Zelda Wii U and I really hope it's the VGX announcement Nintendo will make.

ZELDA. IS. BACK. FULL. FUCKING. FORCE.

Parablank

does anybody mind helping me with the
dark palace
?

I'm basically done in this dungeon but I still can't get the barrier to the boss room to open up. I've bombed up all 6 windows on the second floor and I'm still missing a beam of light in the top left corner. Where is the last window?

ramyeon

theres one you can get in the desert palace and another you can get if you go to Lorule's sanctuary. However with two of them you can still upgrade your sword.
There's none in the Desert Palace, the ones missing are in the Lorule Sanctuary and Skull Woods dungeon.

You can upgrade the Master Sword twice, too. That's why there's 4.

Nashville, TN, United States 11/25/2013 4:33 P.M. Departure Scan 11/25/2013 4:25 P.M. Arrival Scan
Chicago, IL, United States 11/25/2013 5:38 A.M. Departure Scan
11/25/2013 2:40 A.M. Arrival Scan
Palatine, IL, United States 11/25/2013 1:56 A.M. Departure Scan
Palatine, IL, United States 11/22/2013 8:23 A.M. An exception in the sorting process has occurred. UPS has taken corrective action.
Doraville, GA, United States 11/22/2013 8:26 A.M. Arrival Scan
Knoxville, TN, United States 11/22/2013 4:35 A.M. Departure Scan
11/22/2013 3:50 A.M. Arrival Scan
Louisville, KY, United States 11/21/2013 11:25 P.M. Departure Scan
11/21/2013 9:23 P.M. Origin Scan
United States 11/21/2013 9:20 A.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

:(

After having played this game, I'm excited AS FUCK for Zelda Wii U and I really hope it's the VGX announcement Nintendo will make.

ZELDA. IS. BACK. FULL. FUCKING. FORCE.

Would Nintendo really announce Zelda at VGX though? I'd love for that to happen, but I don't know if that's just wishful thinking.

Hopefully, it'll borrow some of ALBW's ideas and build on them.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Would Nintendo really announce Zelda at VGX though? I'd love for that to happen, but I don't know if that's just wishful thinking.

Hopefully, it'll borrow some of ALBW's ideas and build on them.

NA loves Zelda. A lot more than Japan. They could use the new momentum ALBW is giving the series to hype up the Wii U game. Plus, it's publicity for the Wii U.

Kazerei

Banned
Any tips for the intermediate race in Hyrule? I've got the Pegasus Boots but I just can't seem to get near close enough in time.

I find it easier to cheat. Warp to Lorule using the nearby crack, fly to Skull Woods, go to the broken house and warp back to Hyrule, then finish. It's not much faster, but it requires less skill.

I finished the game earlier, it was a lot better than I anticipated so time for impressions.

Despite being a fan of the series I’ve never considered my liking for 2D/top down Zelda entries to match my love for the 3D entries, I still enjoy them but Link’s Awakening is the only one I really rated. So as you may gather A Link to the Past is a game I enjoy but not to the levels of praise it often receives (though I do understand why it’s highly praised), so the announcement of a direct sequel left me having shall we say middling hype.

Pre-release it was the reuse of the old overworld that was my main gripe from this sequel approach and as of right now it’s really the only true flaw I find myself having with the game. There’s nothing fundamentally wrong with this version of Hyrule, it’s quite well laid out with a nice variety of locations yet the feeling of true exploration as you discover a new overworld bit by bit is unfortunately lost by taking this return trip, on top of that even Lorule is a pretty direct Dark World homage as opposed to its own kingdom. I do think it’s a shame that they didn’t fully revamp Hyrule like other games in the series often do but as far as remixing an old overworld from around 20 years ago they did a good job, and it arguably shows the strength of that layout as it still stands up today, sprinkling in some new characters as well as a few more drastic layout changes in areas also helps.

Right so that’s the closest thing to a negative point out of the way, this game was a lovely refresher for the series. Despite enjoyment of the recent Zelda games there have been some pressing issues scattered about the various entries, too much guidance, clumsy pacing, the damn train in Spirit Tracks and so on but ALBW is free of these hindrances that had crept into the series as of late. This outing dials things back but not so far back that it doesn’t take on board the strong points from recent entries be it fleshing out the world via characters or even bringing in a certain item I loved dearly in Spirit Tracks, in a sense this game is like the link between 2D and 3D Zelda design philosophies, you could even say that it's a Link between Worlds....sorry.

Taking the dungeons for example, I feel there’s a heavier puzzle/obstacle overcoming presence here reminiscent of the 3D games approach to dungeon design compared to A Link to the Past while of course working from the top down template of the 2D games gives it the strength of those games as well. With the game being built up in 3D they can also reduce the “flatness” of rooms in a more effective way as well as giving a sense of scale beyond just switching floors with staircase transitions, factor in the other kind of 3D that the handheld specializes in and it all comes together very nicely. As a result you’ve got fast flowing dungeons carefully balancing what you could call well guided exploration, combat and puzzles together in a true Zelda blend. Admittedly there is a loss of the more sprawling labyrinthine nature of dungeon design seen in some of the older games but to be quite honest that design never did much for me at all and in its place we have dungeons designed in such a manner that backtracking doesn’t come across as an issue, the game never outright points you in the right direction yet the design leads you organically to the right places.

The dungeons on show here have what I find to be a perfect length, they’re not quite bite sized, and they’re not drawn out, they give their relevant items a good workout often on top of the dungeons own gimmick. Each dungeon has its own flavour, a lot of them of course being directly inspired by their SNES predecessors yet with enough of a twist to edge out of ALttP’s shadow. The freedom to tackle Lorule dungeons in (mostly) any order isn’t game changing but it is appreciated and can ever so slightly alter the potential difficulty of a dungeon based due to the gear they hold within which I imagine is useful to take on board for hero mode.

Speaking of freedom, the way items are handled ties in with that. I didn’t die during my playthrough but I came close enough twice to feel the fear of losing my rentals. Having early access to most items leads to a more immediately accessible overworld which has more pros than cons I’d say such as being able to just fully explore what you want as early as you want for the most part. Buying the items is made worthwhile through the very well handled upgrade system, not only are some of these upgrades quite significant and useful, it also offers an extra incentive to explore Hyrule once more for the little critters that make your upgrades possible, not often are collectables handled as well as this.
The addition of a regenerating energy meter for item use is one I’m a fan of, items that would formerly use magic come across as more usable on a whole without being too open to abuse (outside of a few upgraded items I guess, Tornado Rod can be pretty cheesy). Some old items are given greater interaction with the environment such as the hookshot in particular, alongside this most items work in tandem with Link’s newest trick, the ability to merge into walls.

I felt that turning into a drawing was more than just the obligatory new Zelda game gimmick that I initially expected it to be. The walls add another way to traverse across the environment at various levels which sounds like a minor detail however how well this mechanic is integrated with Link’s array of items and in some case the movement of parts of the environment itself adds another layer of “Zelda puzzle logic” to the proceedings, to think before this new addition truly clicked I was left puzzled as to how to cross a small gap in the overworld.

Music has one hell of a base to work from, as far as I’m concerned A Link to the Past has quite possibly the strongest soundtrack in the series and the remixes on display here do the classics justice, I’d stop short of calling this soundtrack truly fantastic since the vast majority isn’t new but there’s no denying its quality. Visuals also take from ALttP though without the same level of success, not that I find the visual style bad, it’s actually quite a faithful adaptation of the old style. What greatly benefits the visuals is the game running at 60fps and superb use of 3D depth that enhances the experience.

Overall despite leaning a bit too heavily on its SNES heritage for my liking I found A Link Between Worlds to be an improvement on A Link to the Past and quite possibly my favourite Zelda game using the top down format. I can only hope the next 3D Zelda game draws from the strengths of this one.

this sir is for you. feel the same way
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyWsFfd9pqE

Croc

Banned
I'm in the
Dark Palace
now. Can anyone tell me how to get to the room on the bottomish left part of the map on 1F? It's the only room I haven't visited yet and aside from it I have the dungeon completed. Still can't figure out how to get in though...

I tried
the same trick used to get the Ore and the 300 rupee
, but that didn't seem to work.

MilkBeard

I just picked up the game and played about a half an hour. The first thing that surprised me was how smooth and visually appealing the game is, especially with the 3D effect on. The reason for this is because a lot of people mentioning that the game is ugly. That article by Jeremy Parish comes to mind. Can't say I agree with him, at least with what I've played. It really comes together in motion, I would say. The cutscenes are the lowpoint, at least from what I've seen. They show the barren/flawed character models. But even then, I don't really mind. The game stays panned far back so really the animation/frame rate make up for that.

And the music, of course, is excellent. Probably moreso than what I would have expected. It outclasses Wind Waker HD's score, in my opinion.

Kazerei

Banned
I'm in the
Dark Palace
now. Can anyone tell me how to get to the room on the bottomish left part of the map on 1F? It's the only room I haven't visited yet and aside from it I have the dungeon completed. Still can't figure out how to get in though...

I tried
the same trick used to get the Ore and the 300 rupee
, but that didn't seem to work.

In the room above it, place a bomb on the moving platform so that it explodes when the platform is at its lowest

Top Bottom