• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

Beepos

Still just as confused.

Some people saying it's a cakewalk and easy and that the puzzles aren't as good and more like obstacles with the item system.

Others saying they find it a decent challenge, that they have died and it has some of the best puzzles in a 2D Zelda to boot.

Guess I'll just have to play and make up my own mind for this one.

At least the general consensus is regardless of challenge/difficulty people have loved it/had fun all the way through which can only be a good sign.

Woah! Desert Palace D:

Thieves Hideout D:

These dungeons are so cool. Too easy though. Only challenging one was Icy Ruins, mostly because of the slipperiness

Moff

Stuck in Ice Ruins

Only found 1 key :/

the only advice I can give is that you should always look at what you did last.
there is a moving plattform that reveals new areas.

go to these areas and after that go where the moving plattform went.

its definitely the hardest dungeon because its not always apparent where to go next.

Pre-release it was the reuse of the old overworld that was my main gripe from this sequel approach and as of right now it’s really the only true flaw I find myself having with the game. There’s nothing fundamentally wrong with this version of Hyrule, it’s quite well laid out with a nice variety of locations yet the feeling of true exploration as you discover a new overworld bit by bit is unfortunately lost by taking this return trip, on top of that even Lorule is a pretty direct Dark World homage as opposed to its own kingdom. I do think it’s a shame that they didn’t fully revamp Hyrule like other games in the series often do but as far as remixing an old overworld from around 20 years ago they did a good job, and it arguably shows the strength of that layout as it still stands up today, sprinkling in some new characters as well as a few more drastic layout changes in areas also helps.
Yup yup yup. Pretty much my only negative. I haven't made it to Lorule yet, but the game so far has been "redo everything from ALTTP with awesome new dungeon layouts!", which becomes a problem when, for example, you know once you get the flippers, you can get the bottle under the bridge, etc. It would have been a lot cooler if this was an ALTTP Hyrule where clearly a couple hundred years have passed. Maybe some things are in ruins, new things have been created, but the overall structure of the map remains the same. And for goodness's sake, how about putting the dungeons in different places?

Llyranor

I agree with those who say that it's too easy/cheap to rent everything. Plus, you only rent once and never have to pay again if you don't die.

Two ways I think would improve the rental system:

1) Periodic rental fees. At set time intervals (or dungeon completion or whatever), R's flying companion comes to claim back the items, at which time you can opt to renew the rental (and renting should probably cost more than 20 rups which is peanuts - let's say 50-100 rups). So, while it's still fairly cheap, renting multiple items x a couple of renewals adds up, giving more incentive to try to purchase items (or making it difficult to keep renting *everything*, forcing the player to make decisions about what to keep)

2) since i've seen posts from people being nearly done with the game not even realizing there was an upgrade system, a nice solution would be to have some of the exploration/puzzles require the upgraded items (eg. 2 lvls of cracked walls for bombs), again giving incentive to purchase the items in order to upgrade

scarlet

the only advice I can give is that you should always look at what you did last.
there is a moving plattform that reveals new areas.

go to these areas and after that go where the moving plattform went.

its definitely the hardest dungeon because its not always apparent where to go next.

Just finished it, I was so stupid.

So another stupid question, how do i find the chest on 1st floor in ice ruins?

edit: got it too -_-"

Now it's time to go to the last dungeon!
Lorule Castle?

Nbz

Having never played ALTTP before, I feel that having no associated nostalgia is a plus, as I have never explored this particular Hyrule, and as a result I'm exploring and constantly being surprised at how dense and secret filled this relatively small map is.

Have beaten the first three very bite-sized dungeons, and am currently exploring Lorule to try and unlock the weather vanes next to each of the 7 dungeons there while also exploring and gathering up rupees. I don't want to go overkill and get all the rupees/items I need in one stretch, so will most likely tackle
The Dark Palace
as my first Lorule dungeon then get back to the exploration.

Kinda gutted that
the sand wand
still isn't available to me,
wanted to go check out that associated dungeon first.

Also this is my first post on Neogaf ^_^ Just got my account activated today after three months of waiting haha.

This game puts Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks into shame, and I loved both games. Albw is the surprise of the year, it took some time to click with me but now I'm amazed.
The renting part could have been better but it's still awesome.

The rental system is flawed for reasons other people stated, that you get too many rupees and its almost impossible to die, so it both removes the joy of finding new items and any potential joy from being careful in your rentals/careful in your playing cuz you can lose everything.

I'm also not so hot on the maimai upgrading. The game is already really REALLY easy, and the levels are all designed around being completed with the main default weapons, so upgrading your gear just seems...superfluous? Overkill? I thought it was out of place in Skyward Sword, as well.

Its a very fun, snappy game, but I'm not a fan of all its major design decisions. And its still kinda ugly.

About the difficulty: fairies saved my ass many times and the fear of losing all my objects was there. Guess it also depends on how you explore the game.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
In the Iwata Asks for this game, I think they mentioned playing with more stringent rental systems. Like having a day/night cycle and rentals lasting for only one in-game day.

Given how relatively easy the game is they seem to have backed off on stuff like that, though maybe ironic given that Hero Mode here is almost overly difficult. Maybe they felt that would make the rental system a lot more dangerous.

Nbz

About the difficulty: fairies saved my ass many times and the fear of losing all my objects was there. Guess it also depends on how you explore the game.

I tried to catch a fairy in my bottle but wasn't able to. Do you have to use the net to get them or something?

Downhome

What the fuck? I had two streetpass hits today and managed to find one of the challenges. The other however states "under the apple tree". What apple tree? Where?

I haven't been playing much, been playing Mario a lot, but wouldn't that be talking about the "streetpass tree" directly to the left of Link's House on the next screen?

EDIT:

Oh my, all the replies, lol.

I never actually played through all of ALTTP so maybe I should go and finish it after playing this game... (Furthest I got was Dark World IIRC)

Same here. I borrowed ALTTP from a friend when I was in high school but never managed to complete it. I'm now more than halfway through on the VC.

And finally got ALBW yesterday. I can only comment on the graphics so far but boy, the screenshots do not do the game justice. Seeing it in 3D and 60fps is just so pleasing to the eye. My concerns over the art design just faded away the moment I booted up the game.

Tunavi

Banned
Cons:
- Way too easy
- Dungeons do feel a little small, could use more of them
- Economy in the game is non-existent since you get tons of money really quick
- Way, way too easy
why I didn't add dungeon hearts, only quarter hearts in my playthrough.

very challenging.

Downhome

One reason I love this Zelda game so much is because it just feels so, I dunno, pure I guess you could say. There are no huge crazy gimmicks that dominate the game and the one gimmick that is there is amazing and is used perfectly. It's not like Minish Cap or, my God, Spirit Train. Heck, not even something like the boat in Wind Waker (which I love on the Wii U in HD now). This one is just simple, straight to the point, classic Zelda. It mixed things up just enough to feel like it was doing something new, and that's all I need. I wouldn't mind if they made a console game like this - the same sort of layout and setup I mean.

Total side note - am I the only one who ALWAYS sees the "Late to the Party Theads", LTTP, as "Link to the Past"? Every time, that crosses my mind.

I'm also not so hot on the maimai upgrading. The game is already really REALLY easy, and the levels are all designed around being completed with the main default weapons, so upgrading your gear just seems...superfluous? Overkill? I thought it was out of place in Skyward Sword, as well.

The problem is that the upgrades are too powerful. The elemental rods are arguably game breaking.

Giggzy

I don't have a 3DS and I'll probably never play this game. I just came in here to say that whoever came up with the OT name, kudos. I love it lol

Nbz

Total side note - am I the only one who ALWAYS sees the "Late to the Party Theads", LTTP, as "Link to the Past"? Every time, that crosses my mind.

Dude! I totally did that for the longest time. I had no idea what it meant for ages until I decided hit up google haha

Jackano

Only for people who always strip off the "A" to A Link to the Past. Same for The Wind Waker.
There is also a LTTP: ALttP thread if you want to blow your mind!

StAidan

Some people saying it's a cakewalk and easy and that the puzzles aren't as good and more like obstacles with the item system.

Others saying they find it a decent challenge, that they have died and it has some of the best puzzles in a 2D Zelda to boot.

Guess I'll just have to play and make up my own mind for this one.

I have rose-tinted glasses when it comes to LttP, but to be honest I'm completely mystified by those claiming that LttP was harder. I can't even remember the last time I died during one of my many LttP playthroughs. The reason ALBW seems easier is because it's the same game that we got 20 years ago. The combat feels very nearly identical, hit points and damage stats were lifted from its predecessor, and the world is already generally familiar.

LttP was never some great bastion of challenge in video games. Anyone of low-to-middling skill could beat it with some effort, and it was a breeze for everyone else.

Dude! I totally did that for the longest time. I had no idea what it meant for ages until I decided hit up google haha

Mind Blown...

I agree the renting-system need some revamp but the game is overly amazing nonetheless. It's the perfect handheld Zelda if you ask me and offers so much in my opinion. I'm not finished yet but I hope I will within this week :)

BY2K

Membero Americo
Shadow Link battles are fun, but it'd be nice if the people I StreetPass wouldn't all have default Link wiith a 50 Rupee bounty...

I also feel that Nintendo made some good and bad decisions with regards to streamlining the experience. I don't think the good decisions should necessarily become the standard in future Zelda games, but they work in this.

Good:

Weather vane save system outside dungeons
Broomstick fast travel
Recharging magic meter and removal of ammunition
Touch screen inventory management
Pinning points of interest on the world map

Bad:

World maps show everywhere right away; should have filled in as you discovered areas a la TLoZ, LA, OoA/S
No dungeon maps; removes the challenge of navigating the environments
Red crosses on the world maps show you exactly where you need to go

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Shadow Link battles are fun, but it'd be nice if the people I StreetPass wouldn't all have default Link wiith a 50 Rupee bounty...
Exploit it while you can for the hardest of the challenges! No damages, not using B/X/Y buttons and such.

Downhome

Speaking of the broom travel thing. I got to where you have to run from one area to the next and I thought I was being all clever by thinking AH-HA, I can just do that to get to the halfway point and then run the rest of the way (I didn't have the Pegasus Boots yet). I was crushed when I got to the end that they called me out on it, haha.

So someone clarify for me

I read this in the thread this morning

It's funnier to me that people can't find the net
given its found in almost the same exact way as in LTTP.

And then read this in the manga OT?

I died in Turtle Rock once because I hadn't found the net yet for capturing fairies and it was just an annoyance to have to go back and get the items again and then make my way back to the dungeon. I couldn't figure out if there was an aspect to it other than being annoying.

???

Speaking of the broom travel thing. I got to where you have to run from one area to the next and I thought I was being all clever by thinking AH-HA, I can just do that to get to the halfway point and then run the rest of the way (I didn't have the Pegasus Boots yet). I was crushed when I got to the end that they called me out on it, haha.

I've read it's actually possible to cheat in such way but only on the 2nd level and only if you use the broom fast travel in Lorule (meaning you have to find the nearest rift in Hyrule → broom to the location closest to the arrival point in Lorule → find a rift nearby to go back to Hyrule).

Just received this yesterday. I will say that this game is gorgeous. I can't read too much as I don't want to get spoiled but the use of 3D is amazing. It really shines here (like it did with MH3U and Fire Emblem, ... poor Pokemon ... ).

Can't wait to play this during Thanksgiving (just me and the girl and a feast!). Even the newly purchased Vita with Tearaway is going to take a backseat to this game!

Beepos

I have rose-tinted glasses when it comes to LttP, but to be honest I'm completely mystified by those claiming that LttP was harder. I can't even remember the last time I died during one of my many LttP playthroughs. The reason ALBW seems easier is because it's the same game that we got 20 years ago. The combat feels very nearly identical, hit points and damage stats were lifted from its predecessor, and the world is already generally familiar.

I don't think anyone was saying LttP was some kind of hard game per say, but you could definitely die, e.g the first time going through Turtle Rock, with those moving platforms in the dark, fire, laser eyes ect. I haven't played ALBW, but from what some people are saying there is no dungeon that comes close to that and well in their FIRST play though they did not die at all. Can't say I did a 0 death run of any 2d Zelda straight up except Minish Cap.

It's been awhile since I have played LttP as well so maybe I am over estimating the few difficult sections in the game. It probably came down a lot to if you knew all bottle locations and keep faeries with you as well - not sure how ALBW handles life resurrection.

I do remember LA be pretty challenging at times however, though that's been even longer still since I played it (I think you could only carry one fairy like life potion at a time and I have memories of the final boss being a pain).

Like I said in an earlier post perhaps the later, hard dungeons of Binding of Issac have confused me the challenges of previous titles.

Lttp was harder simply because the dungeons were more complex, enemies in lbw do more damage so its easier to die in this game not that you should ever be dying.

soultron

Banned
Lttp was harder simply because the dungeons were more complex, enemies in lbw do more damage so its easier to die in this game not that you should ever be dying.

Got to Lorule last night (for the first time) and the first thing that happened to me
was the two cyclops dudes killed me right near the blacksmith house where you start. The enemies in Lorule seem much more resistant to damage/take more hits to down.

Nbz

Got to Lorule last night (for the first time) and the first thing that happened to me
was the two cyclops dudes killed me right near the blacksmith house where you start. The enemies in Lorule seem much more resistant to damage/take more hits to down.

Yep, they are much tougher.
I counted 10 hits on the Cyclops guys, and then the Chimera dudes in the mountains take 15 hits.

Master sword sucks, kill everything with the bow or ideally the upgraded fire rod.

I got my Zelda XL bundle.. Link Between Worlds is amazing. It feels like it's 1993 and Nintendo released a sequel to LTTP and it feels like I'm revisiting old friends and to see what happened to them in their lives.

Top Bottom