• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

For Zelda Wii U I just want a bigger more in depth version of this game. Completely open world, no handholding, tackle any dungeon in any order, an item rental system of some sort, a little more story, and more npcs/towns/sidequests.

This game more than any recent Zelda captures that feeling of adventure from old Zelda games.

I agree except for the bolded part.

Although ALBW is one of the best Zelda's I have played, if not the best, it kinda lost that feeling you get when you found a new item. Instead of an item rental system, make the items obtainable in an item dungeon/sidequest/puzzle. I would also like them to separate the dungeons into item dungeons and main story dungeons. That way, the main dungeons can be tackled in any order depending on the items you have obtained.

I would also like them to implement a limit on how many items you can bring, preferably two items and have the unused items stashed in your house. Do away with the overworld/dungeon map (or maybe make the overworld map only accessible in one place like the fortune tellers house).

I have a couple more ideas but I really have to go. Maybe will add more later.

E-phonk

Banned
My copy just arrived from amazon - not reading anything in here, but I'm really excited to play this as ALTTP is my favorite zelda that I replay every few years. I know it's world inside out.

DryvBy

I finally got my game and charged my 3DS all night. Got to work today, took out Pokemon Y in place of Zelda, tried to turn it on. Nothing. Oh, now I remember why! I didn't plug the charger into the outlet last night.

Guess I'll read the manual. Oh, wait...

Leezard

I found that you didn't actually need them much in this game besides
for getting around faster and getting maimais
. Granted, I had to look it up online to find where they were and there were a few times in the beginning where I'd like to move faster but I found the pace and compact nature of the dungeons and the abundance of fast-travel locations, you don't need to run around as much in this game as you do in LTTP.

One thing I thought was really clever that also spoke to the open nature of the game is that
there was one puzzle with switches and all the explorers that can't make it to the treasure are all talking about how they can't run fast enough to get through the gates but there is another way to get through it and both explorer congratulate you on the clever solution after you get the treasure.

Oh, what is the other solution? I tried the "obvious" one but couldn't make it through.

Log4Girlz

I really love how much is "miss-able". Its entirely up to the player to talk to people, explore, and think about how the game's design and mechanics can enable new secrets. The sense of discovery is much stronger because you aren't led from one side quest or minigame to the next.

Oh god, that sounds great. If they make the next 3D one like this, I'd die. I need to buy a 3DS don't I?

So after finishing ALBW, I need more Zelda!

I still have OoT: MQ and WW and a plugged in Gamecube. I don't really feel like getting OoT3D or WWHD, convince me that I'm not missing out on much!

The graphical improvements are good, but probably not worth full price. I got OoT in a 2+1 free thing, that was good enough.

duckroll

I finally beat the game. Probably not going to go through a Hero Mode run just yet, since I don't want to burn out my interest in the game. Maybe next month though. I had quite a blast. The game is really fun, the design decisions mostly worked better than I expected, and the music was fantastic. It does feel a bit small overall though, but it was paced well for a portable game.

The best thing about the game was the overall design. It feels really fun to explore and play around in, and I might have enjoyed that aspect more than LTTP. The collection aspects are pretty rewarding, especially for the item upgrades. I think by not really giving any direct hints as to where you're supposed to go or how you might get to certain optional areas makes solving them much more rewarding. Great stuff.

The worst thing is definitely the lack of challenge. The combat balance feels really tuned down, and once you have a few heart containers there's pretty much no way to really die. Some of the bosses would have been way more satisfying if not for this problem. I guess Nintendo is still deathly afraid of anyone not being able to finish one of their new games. Oh well.

I'm really surprised at how well the item rental and magic bar system ended up working out. The way the game is designed, the removal of artificial limits on pretty much everything (no more rupee bags, no more bomb bags, no more arrow quivers!!) in the game makes the pace much faster and changes the focus from inventory management to just solving the challenges in the game. It also allowed dungeons to be turned into themed mega-puzzles from the start, so you begin solving the dungeon from the moment you enter it, instead of having a sub-section where you need to find the item first.

I don't think I would like to see the actual item rental system return in another Zelda game though. What the system showed here is that dungeons can be fun without containing the item you need to solve it, but at the same time the actual rental process felt sort of pointless. You get so much money that it's not an issue renting everything from the start, and since it's so hard to die there really isn't any downside to having everything. That does remove the aspect of feeling like you earned the items.

What I would probably prefer them to do is to expand on the overworld, and hide the items all over it instead. That would encourage exploration even more, and it would also make many of those secret treasure caves with puzzles much more rewarding instead of just being rupee chests. It would also retain the non-linear aspect of the game, since you can choose to either explore the overworld to find items, or use the items you have found to tackle the relevant dungeons.

As it is though, this is a huge step forward for Nintendo's approach to Zelda, and I appreciate they decided to take that step. Removing the more annoying aspects of tutorials and handholding in exchange for a more natural learning curve for players is a great move. The next step would probably be to acknowledge that there are Zelda gamers out there who would actually like the option for something more challenging from the start.

tl;dr summary

Pros:
- Really fun
- Fast paced
- Great overworld for exploration
- Fun dungeons with a puzzle focus
- Superb music

Cons:
- Way too easy
- Dungeons do feel a little small, could use more of them
- Economy in the game is non-existent since you get tons of money really quick
- Way, way too easy

watershed

Banned
I didn't realize until now how many silly items were removed from this game. I hope the developers keep this in mind for all future Zelda games. The magic meter instead of item counts is amazing as well.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think I would like to see the actual item rental system return in another Zelda game though. What the system showed here is that dungeons can be fun without containing the item you need to solve it, but at the same time the actual rental process felt sort of pointless. You get so much money that it's not an issue renting everything from the start, and since it's so hard to die there really isn't any downside to having everything. That does remove the aspect of feeling like you earned the items.

What I would probably prefer them to do is to expand on the overworld, and hide the items all over it instead. That would encourage exploration even more, and it would also make many of those secret treasure caves with puzzles much more rewarding instead of just being rupee chests. It would also retain the non-linear aspect of the game, since you can choose to either explore the overworld to find items, or use the items you have found to tackle the relevant dungeons.

I agree that it is too easy just to get every item as it is.

But I'm not sure hiding them all over the map would be an ideal solution either. It could be potentially annoying not gaining entrance to dungeons because the item you need is tucked away in a secret treasure cave somewhere.

I think maybe making items more expensive and available to be bought only could work as well. It should be made in a way that forces you to actually choose your path.

Robin64

The game is definitely way too easy on the first playthrough. Hero mode is for us guys.
So it's a bit of a shame you need to beat normal mode first to unlock it, by which time you might not want to dive right into hero mode.

Eusis

I agree that it is too easy just to get every item as it is.

But I'm not sure hiding them all over the map would be an ideal solution either. It could be potentially annoying not gaining entrance to dungeons because the item you need is tucked away in a secret treasure cave somewhere.
Well, look at how you got items to access the second and third dungeons, or how many new items or abilities have been unlocked over the Zelda series such as getting Epona in Ocarina of Time. It doesn't need to just be finding a chest, that could actually be an item that makes a dungeon EASIER but not reach it entirely (like how upgrading some items makes their dungeons much easier), but the main item could be part of a little event you hunt down. And hell, that's one of the big things I liked about older Zelda games in contrast to newer ones where it felt like everything was doled out at the time they dictate rather than you getting to explore the world and getting more stuff to be more capable and versatile.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The only problem I fear with having the items outside the dungeons is people missing them and getting annoyed when they get stuck. (Look at how many easily missed the bug catching net and boots) One could prevent access to a dungeon without a certain item but then you risk having to make that dungeon based around one item because that's all you can be sure the player has.

I suppose one could bring back an item similar to Ooccoo that allows one to mark a spot in a dungeon to return to so if you do realise you can't make any further progress you can always return to that spot later without having to go through the rest of the dungeon.

Reknoc

well you cant even enter most (all?) dungeons in this without the item you need for the dungeon. Maybe you could have something near the entrance give a hint to where the item is.

The only problem I fear with having the items outside the dungeons is people missing them and getting annoyed when they get stuck. (Look at how many easily missed the bug catching net and boots)

Missing the Net and Pegasus Boots will not get you stuck, you can beat the game without them.

One could prevent access to a dungeon without a certain item

That's exactly what happens. Ice dungeon cannot be entered without Fire rod, Turtle Rock dungeon cannot be entered without Ice rod, and so on. There are pillars with item icons telling you what item(s) you need for this dungeon.

Have you already forgotten what's in the game? lol

Dascu

I would imagine that you start the game with some core items (bombs, boomerang, bow and lamp perhaps), that give you access to most of the game from the start. The other items (hookshot, magic rods, whatever) are then found in dungeons or side-quests and such, and can be acquired in a non-linear fashion. So something more like a tier-based unlocking of weapons and areas to explore.

---

Zelda WiiU speculation aside, I got this game yesterday and played it up to Lorule. It's fantastic so far and I can't wait to get home and play more.

Clefargle

Got the XL bundle, plus a free DL of Oracle of Seasons. Now all I am missing is Oot3D and Ages and I'll have every zelda possible on the 3ds.

Loving this hell out of this game though, just beat the 2nd lorule dungeon. Itching for more goodness!

Auskeek

I thought it was pretty obvious. One of the townspeople gives a pretty hefty clue about it....

If this is about the
pegasus boots
, I had to use the hint ghost and felt really stupid after doing so. Especially since he SPELLS IT OUT FOR YOU.

I like it when the hint ghosts give you cryptic or fun explanations for things. He just ruined the fun this time.

monlo

Why is everyone focusing on Majora's Mask so much? It's not the only reference to other games in the Zelda series. I saw some
Wind Waker
stuff in ALBW as well.

Because in the timeline of the series, Majora didn't exist yet. ...Unless this game isn't designed to be a sequel to Zelda 1...

monlo

If this is about the
pegasus boots
, I had to use the hint ghost and felt really stupid after doing so. Especially since he SPELLS IT OUT FOR YOU.

I like it when the hint ghosts give you cryptic or fun explanations for things. He just ruined the fun this time.

No, at least, I thought it was when you first talk about that
mysterious fellow with his back to the wall to one of the townsfolk. Can't exactly remember though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Missing the Net and Pegasus Boots will not get you stuck, you can beat the game without them.

That's exactly what happens. Ice dungeon cannot be entered without Fire rod, Turtle Rock dungeon cannot be entered without Ice rod, and so on. There are pillars with item icons telling you what item(s) you need for this dungeon.

Have you already forgotten what's in the game? lol
I'm talking about a theoretical future game. Sure the items you can miss in this game are not important but it still highlights that it is easy for people to miss them. People even missed the pouch upgrade despite the mother telling you where to look.

Sure you need the ice rod to enter Turtle Rock, but that's not the only item you need to complete it. The beauty of ALBW is that the dungeons can assume the player has most items at their disposal so can have puzzles that require any item to complete rather than the old pattern where the dungeon is based around mostly one item.

Semajer

I just finished Hero Mode 100%. The 4x damage is REALLY noticeable. It's a good thing you can carry so many fairies, as I was dying pretty rapidly at points the last two dungeons, and the Tower.

Overall it took me just over 31 hours to 100% normal and Hero Mode. I still need to finish the Streetpass challenges for both files, and get 999 on the cucco minigame, but other than that I'm done. The best Zelda game in a long while.

Fabrik

Banned
I have no idea what happened between the screens that were released vs the game, but I just started this today and it looks gorgeous in person. The colors, character models, silky movements...I was pretty surprised at how great it looked. Talk about being misrepresented. I had thought the whole Wall Paint mechanic looked kinda bad(visually) in videos and whatnot, but it feels and looks outstanding in person.

I knew it was going to be a great game, but all of the bad mouthing on the visual front is just so very wrong from my short time with it. It's beautiful to look at, and it great in motion.

Yeah tastes and everything but I don't know what Jeremy Parish smoked.

teeny

Would a happy middle be to have a core selection of upgradable items that can be rented, bought and then upgraded with crafting materials and then have a selection of items that can only be found in dungeons or mini dungeons central to the plot?

That way, dungeons can be designed to take advantage of a wide range of items accessible at the start with one or two larger puzzles that utilise the found item. More of the over world can also be locked away until the dungeon items are acquired, preserving the sense of discovery that is so important in a game like Zelda.

Alternatively, items could have a second usage that is unlocked via upgrades found in dungeons, such as the double hookshot in Twilight Princess.

Honestly, I get both the pros and cons for the rental system in ALBW. It only needs a little tweaking and if Nintendo built on it instead of scrapping it it could result in the best designed Zelda yet.

monlo

I finished the game earlier, it was a lot better than I anticipated so time for impressions.

Despite being a fan of the series I’ve never considered my liking for 2D/top down Zelda entries to match my love for the 3D entries, I still enjoy them but Link’s Awakening is the only one I really rated. So as you may gather A Link to the Past is a game I enjoy but not to the levels of praise it often receives (though I do understand why it’s highly praised), so the announcement of a direct sequel left me having shall we say middling hype.

Pre-release it was the reuse of the old overworld that was my main gripe from this sequel approach and as of right now it’s really the only true flaw I find myself having with the game. There’s nothing fundamentally wrong with this version of Hyrule, it’s quite well laid out with a nice variety of locations yet the feeling of true exploration as you discover a new overworld bit by bit is unfortunately lost by taking this return trip, on top of that even Lorule is a pretty direct Dark World homage as opposed to its own kingdom. I do think it’s a shame that they didn’t fully revamp Hyrule like other games in the series often do but as far as remixing an old overworld from around 20 years ago they did a good job, and it arguably shows the strength of that layout as it still stands up today, sprinkling in some new characters as well as a few more drastic layout changes in areas also helps.

Right so that’s the closest thing to a negative point out of the way, this game was a lovely refresher for the series. Despite enjoyment of the recent Zelda games there have been some pressing issues scattered about the various entries, too much guidance, clumsy pacing, the damn train in Spirit Tracks and so on but ALBW is free of these hindrances that had crept into the series as of late. This outing dials things back but not so far back that it doesn’t take on board the strong points from recent entries be it fleshing out the world via characters or even bringing in a certain item I loved dearly in Spirit Tracks, in a sense this game is like the link between 2D and 3D Zelda design philosophies, you could even say that it's a Link between Worlds....sorry.

Taking the dungeons for example, I feel there’s a heavier puzzle/obstacle overcoming presence here reminiscent of the 3D games approach to dungeon design compared to A Link to the Past while of course working from the top down template of the 2D games gives it the strength of those games as well. With the game being built up in 3D they can also reduce the “flatness” of rooms in a more effective way as well as giving a sense of scale beyond just switching floors with staircase transitions, factor in the other kind of 3D that the handheld specializes in and it all comes together very nicely. As a result you’ve got fast flowing dungeons carefully balancing what you could call well guided exploration, combat and puzzles together in a true Zelda blend. Admittedly there is a loss of the more sprawling labyrinthine nature of dungeon design seen in some of the older games but to be quite honest that design never did much for me at all and in its place we have dungeons designed in such a manner that backtracking doesn’t come across as an issue, the game never outright points you in the right direction yet the design leads you organically to the right places.

The dungeons on show here have what I find to be a perfect length, they’re not quite bite sized, and they’re not drawn out, they give their relevant items a good workout often on top of the dungeons own gimmick. Each dungeon has its own flavour, a lot of them of course being directly inspired by their SNES predecessors yet with enough of a twist to edge out of ALttP’s shadow. The freedom to tackle Lorule dungeons in (mostly) any order isn’t game changing but it is appreciated and can ever so slightly alter the potential difficulty of a dungeon based due to the gear they hold within which I imagine is useful to take on board for hero mode.

Speaking of freedom, the way items are handled ties in with that. I didn’t die during my playthrough but I came close enough twice to feel the fear of losing my rentals. Having early access to most items leads to a more immediately accessible overworld which has more pros than cons I’d say such as being able to just fully explore what you want as early as you want for the most part. Buying the items is made worthwhile through the very well handled upgrade system, not only are some of these upgrades quite significant and useful, it also offers an extra incentive to explore Hyrule once more for the little critters that make your upgrades possible, not often are collectables handled as well as this.
The addition of a regenerating energy meter for item use is one I’m a fan of, items that would formerly use magic come across as more usable on a whole without being too open to abuse (outside of a few upgraded items I guess, Tornado Rod can be pretty cheesy). Some old items are given greater interaction with the environment such as the hookshot in particular, alongside this most items work in tandem with Link’s newest trick, the ability to merge into walls.

I felt that turning into a drawing was more than just the obligatory new Zelda game gimmick that I initially expected it to be. The walls add another way to traverse across the environment at various levels which sounds like a minor detail however how well this mechanic is integrated with Link’s array of items and in some case the movement of parts of the environment itself adds another layer of “Zelda puzzle logic” to the proceedings, to think before this new addition truly clicked I was left puzzled as to how to cross a small gap in the overworld.

Music has one hell of a base to work from, as far as I’m concerned A Link to the Past has quite possibly the strongest soundtrack in the series and the remixes on display here do the classics justice, I’d stop short of calling this soundtrack truly fantastic since the vast majority isn’t new but there’s no denying its quality. Visuals also take from ALttP though without the same level of success, not that I find the visual style bad, it’s actually quite a faithful adaptation of the old style. What greatly benefits the visuals is the game running at 60fps and superb use of 3D depth that enhances the experience.

Overall despite leaning a bit too heavily on its SNES heritage for my liking I found A Link Between Worlds to be an improvement on A Link to the Past and quite possibly my favourite Zelda game using the top down format. I can only hope the next 3D Zelda game draws from the strengths of this one.

I disagree with nothing you wrote. A+.

My only comment is that item rental changes the way the player approaches the world/dungeons (for a Zelda game...) as well as how the devs design the dungeons). The player no longer has to "prepare" for any dungeon in particular, and the devs have to setup the dungeons in such a way that any variance of Link can beat it. I think the game is well designed around that concept, but stylistically, the concept could be targeted as a con to the previous top down Zeldas. It's just different (and well done!). In other words, "opinions...man".

dock

I'd like to hear more impressions from people that didn't play much/any of ALTTP. All the coverage so far is from people that played it originally, or later on GBA. I've played all of the handheld zeldas bar Oracle of Seasons, so I'm okay with 2D zeldas.

afoni

Banned
I'd like to hear more impressions from people that didn't play much/any of ALTTP. All the coverage so far is from people that played it originally, or later on GBA. I've played all of the handheld zeldas bar Oracle of Seasons, so I'm okay with 2D zeldas.
LTTP is not my jam.
ALBW is my jam.

I disagree with nothing you wrote. A+.

My only comment is that item rental changes the way the player approaches the world/dungeons (for a Zelda game...) as well as how the devs design the dungeons). The player no longer has to "prepare" for any dungeon in particular, and the devs have to setup the dungeons in such a way that any variance of Link can beat it. I think the game is well designed around that concept, but stylistically, the concept could be targeted as a con to the previous top down Zeldas. It's just different (and well done!). In other words, "opinions...man".

This is a fair point, some others have mentioned that the way dungeons are designed in this game mean that you only really make use of the one necessary item within them which can be limit the potential for more varied puzzles requiring multiple items. I was actually expecting some dungeons to require at least two items to enter and progress through but oh well, perhaps next time if they return to a similar open item system.
Fortunately with Painting Link and most dungeons playing to another sort of central gimmick they manage to feel varied regardless of limitations on how many items you may use.
Regarding preparation though in the later stages of Lorule I was upgrading the relevant dungeon item before heading into their dungeon in the hopes of giving myself a little advantage, at the very least I think it was a good move for Turtle Rock.

So I pretty much 100%'d this game in under 18 hours. While I've always criticized the padding in recent Zelda games, this one could probably use a bit more of it. :p I have no real desire to play Hero mode.

pixelpai

Neo Member
am I the only who died on the way to Tower of Hera by going east right in front of the tower
(Rosso's Ore Mine)
? Those
fire-breathing lion/hawk
things killed me in a blink of an eye. I assume I was not supposed to go there?

am I the only who died on the way to Tower of Hera by going east right in front of the tower
(Rosso's Ore Mine)
? Those
fire-breathing lion/hawk
things killed me in a blink of an eye. I assume I was not supposed to go there?

You can
get a heart piece and deliver milk to the mountaineer there,
but it's not essential.

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
I've just finished the game! It was amazing. The dungeons were extremely well done, and I was actually quite fine with their length.

The painting mechanic, non-linearity and rental system just work so well. I hope the Wii U Zelda will follow a lot of these ideas.

The soundtrack was absolutely fantastic. Nintendo needs to release it. I really liked the graphics in motion too.

Collecting all 100 Maiamai's was really fun too.

edit: Checking Activity Log shows my total time was 29:26. I did everything except collecting 1 bottle and some pieces of heart, I believe.

Gartooth

Finished the game yesterday! Really fun experience and probably my favorite Zelda since Majora's Mask. Went back and scoured for every remaining item to get 100% and I can't wait to see people tackle
Advanced Treacherous Tower
on Hero Mode.

Anyway I will probably take a couple week break from the game before going back to do Hero Mode. Hopefully by then whatever "secret" it has won't be posted all over the front page of GAF.

Liethe

I'm talking about a theoretical future game. Sure the items you can miss in this game are not important but it still highlights that it is easy for people to miss them. People even missed the pouch upgrade despite the mother telling you where to look.

Sure you need the ice rod to enter Turtle Rock, but that's not the only item you need to complete it. The beauty of ALBW is that the dungeons can assume the player has most items at their disposal so can have puzzles that require any item to complete rather than the old pattern where the dungeon is based around mostly one item.
Hmm. I literally just turned off my 3DS after finishing Turtle Rock. I'm pretty sure I used nothing but the Ice Rod. (upgraded one at that!)

Forkball

Going for the Master Sword now. I just realized that with all the items, it's possible to get all the heart pieces really early right? I want to try that after the Master Sword.

Gartooth

I never actually played through all of ALTTP so maybe I should go and finish it after playing this game... (Furthest I got was Dark World IIRC)

Tadale

After seeing so many people in this thread barrel through the game, I put it away on Saturday so I could save it for the Thanksgiving holiday, when I have some time off of work and I'll be traveling a bit.

But the first two dungeons were really great, and I'm excited to see what kind of stuff the game comes up with in the later dungeons. It's also the first game on 3DS I've played since like Kid Icarus where I've kept the 3D on the entire time - it's very impressive, and 60 fps maybe should have been a mandate for all games if they were really invested in selling the 3D.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I haven't finished the game yet, but finished all the dungeons, and I'm looking for weapons upgrades and hearts before going to the final stage.

The game is great, it's really really good.

I like the rental system, and it's not true that all items are available. There ARE special items to be found on dungeons (or after them...) and most dungeons (not all) are designed to be completed with a special item, so you still get to use the items in fun ways and solve puzzles with them.

There are also a lot of puzzle rooms in the map that make use of items on creative ways.

The only difference between this game and other Zeldas, is that now you can choose the order you complete the dungeons, and that's awesome; and you can explore the map earlier, which is good. Rental system is great. Also, the boomerang is absolutely worthless.

Finally, the wall merging Link is a lot of fun, great mechanic, hope they make a sequel to this game and keep that power but change the world.

I wish I had been able to play Hero mode my first time through. On a second run, I already know too much about the game, and I feel I'm going to need other house rules or else I can just trivialize the game because I know where all the heart pieces are and can abuse the upgraded tornado rod.

I like the rental system, and it's not true that all items are available. There ARE special items to be found on dungeons (or after them...)
There's only one weapon unavailable for you to rent early on.

KHlover

Banned

I never played A Link to the Past past its intro. (The dungeon of Hyrule castle has to be the most boring location in any Zelda game so far :S)
Blasphemy, I know :p

A Link between Worlds is AWESOME so far. I really like the snappy dungeons (short but awesome), the controls, lack of handholding, item rental system (although buying the items is FAR too cheap imo, 800-1200 rupees are a joke) and the difficulty (already died three times after only completing 4 dungeons - that's 4x more than in any Zelda game I've played in the last 12 years together). Collecting upgrade "material" is a great incentive to explore the map, which has a nice size - it takes you ~3-4min to traverse it S-N or E-W. Any bigger and traversing it over and over again as you'll do in this game (+ Dark World!) would be too cumbersome. The OST of this game is amazing, btw.

On the other side, at the time being I don't have any real negatives :D
GOTY so far (
Yet to play SM3DW though :p

Serrato

I never actually played through all of ALTTP so maybe I should go and finish it after playing this game... (Furthest I got was Dark World IIRC)

YES YES do it. Although you will lose some things (like the stamina bar for a mana bar) and some other items, it's still the master for some things. And I might say that ALTTP is harder than ALBW. Especially the last dungeons.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I wish I had been able to play Hero mode my first time through. On a second run, I already know too much about the game, and I feel I'm going to need other house rules or else I can just trivialize the game because I know where all the heart pieces are and can abuse the upgraded tornado rod.

There's only one weapon unavailable for you to rent early on.
Yes, but you still have to solve puzzles to get (items not for rental)
flippers and pegasus boots; then there's the big gloves, the sand rod, the sword upgrades, the new suits and stamina scroll
. All awesome items and upgrades.

The worst thing is definitely the lack of challenge. The combat balance feels really tuned down, and once you have a few heart containers there's pretty much no way to really die. Some of the bosses would have been way more satisfying if not for this problem. I guess Nintendo is still deathly afraid of anyone not being able to finish one of their new games. Oh well.

I'm really surprised at how well the item rental and magic bar system ended up working out. The way the game is designed, the removal of artificial limits on pretty much everything (no more rupee bags, no more bomb bags, no more arrow quivers!!) in the game makes the pace much faster and changes the focus from inventory management to just solving the challenges in the game. It also allowed dungeons to be turned into themed mega-puzzles from the start, so you begin solving the dungeon from the moment you enter it, instead of having a sub-section where you need to find the item first.

This is exactly what I feared would happen in this thread and unfortunately it came true. I really enjoyed the game and it has many, many virtues (although I think people are understating/forgetting how much of it has been lifted from ALttP), but the rental system is flawed in its execution. I didn't even have to "farm for rupees" as I previously said; I naturally got enough that I could buy the items outright, having not died when you're forced to rent at the beginning, reducing both the enjoyment I would have got from careful renting AND the feeling of discovering items.

Another issue I have is how the dungeons were designed to be finished with one item, which made them very easy and straightforward. Why on earth did they have this restriction? There is nothing to say that you couldn't have had the exact same non-linear world structure, except with dungeons requiring at least TWO items to gain entry. Isn't that the whole point of renting, so that you can spend money noncommittally on various combinations of items?

Top Bottom