• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

Eusis

Heh, I figured that one out on my own. It's a trick the game REALLY likes to have you use, I had the same issue with
the octo baby things on the walls, figuring I had to get the Titan Mitt then deciding to just merge in a wall and pop out. Forgot to experiment if the Titan Mitt could pull them off though...

watershed

Banned
I really love how much is "miss-able". Its entirely up to the player to talk to people, explore, and think about how the game's design and mechanics can enable new secrets. The sense of discovery is much stronger because you aren't led from one side quest or minigame to the next.

Moff

I think I was about 4 or 5 dungeons in until I found the item bag and the maimais, made me feel pretty dumb. at least the maimais should have been introduced by he game, or should be visible in the world from the start.
found the pegasus boots right at the beginning though.

protonion

Just before the final dungeon. Only missed a couple of heart pieces but I won't bother for now. Nintendo delivered hard with this game.

One question about lost woods.

If you enter from the entrance near the miner there is a gap and a trunk that goes north. How do I go there?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa, Zelda II music. Didn't expect that. Up to now I've only noticed LTTP and OOT music.

Edit : I'm now actively searching for the Pegasus Boots and I still can't find them, lol. No one tell me where to find them, though! I want to earn it. I love this game so much, ugh.

The thief in Kakariko has them.

I just won't say how you get them.

EDIT: Seems the below posts do, I only wanted you to figure out the "how" since I told you the "where".

This is how you get them if you want to know:

In Kakariko Village, you know the thief that runs from you?

Merge into the wall and spring out behind him, it will surprise him and he will give them to you.

Clever Nintendo, playing on past players expectations.

All you need to do is go to Kakariko Village.

Remember the dude who stole the Zora Slippers? He's near the Sage's house but will run if you get too close, so you go into Painting Mode and sneak alongside the wall behind him and then pop out

holy shit, I thought I needed them to
get him
, so I completely ignored it. Thanks a lot though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The reason why half the players aren't finding the Pegasus Boots is because
a lot of players are working off of their LTTP expectations and assume they can't catch the runner without already having them. I'm sure a lot of players find that clever but I personally found it frustrating.

ramyeon

Just beat the game. The whole ending cinematic from the death of the final boss onwards had me grinning from ear to ear.
Totally called the Hilda evil mastermind and Ravio alternate Link from about midway through the game, so glad it was right. And it was a happy ending for all. That whole scene where you could approach the complete Triforce was so damn good. Made me remember those times when people would make up methods of getting it in OoT lol.

It wasn't the hardest or longest game I've played this year but I'll be damned if it wasn't one of the most fun. I had an absolute blast with this. Didn't miss any gear/collectables/Maimai except for a couple of heart pieces. Clocked just over 13 hours on it.

I think it was the perfect length for me. Such a cohesive experience, I loved every moment of it and it was never tedious and never overstayed its welcome.

Fou-Lu

So, after stewing over it for a night I have to say, probably my number 2 Zelda game.

1. Majora's Mask, 2. A Link Between Worlds, 3. A Link to the Past, 4. Wind Waker 5. Link's Awakening.

Moff

Just before the final dungeon. Only missed a couple of heart pieces but I won't bother for now. Nintendo delivered hard with this game.

One question about lost woods.

If you enter from the entrance near the miner there is a gap and a trunk that goes north. How do I go there?

grappling hook

Coolwhip

Banned
Nintendo should show this thread to potential customers because damn it makes me want this game so much LOL. I really want to splurge on that epic special edition loz ds xl, and since I never buy myself anything I will make it a christmas gift for myself. lol

Instead of quoting magazines and websites, quoting GAF posters in a trailer. Would be funny and original tbh.

Theres only one thing bugging me bout this game:

In OoT there are 7 sages including Zelda, in LTTP there are 7 maidens, descendants of the 7 sages of OoT and still including Zelda. I just beat the last temple before Lorule Castle and I just realized, theres 7 descendants of the Sages but its not including Zelda. So does that mean that theres 8 now?

So I got another SpotPass today without leaving the house - I came home from work (3DS turned off, haven't left the house since I played last night and there was no Shadow Link) and checked my 3DS and there was no challenge.

Ate some tree fruit. Put the system to sleep and took a nap, when I woke up, I flew back to town and had a challenge.

All of my challenges have come from player "Shade" with different character names - this one is called Byll.

I'm guessing the fruit initiates something or speeds up the process..? Any news or findings on the matter?

CrisKre

This game is so impeccably designed it boggles the mind. It gets everything than made lttp so memorable and charming and expands it. They even figured out how to make it fit for portable without losing content density. In really in awe.

The wall mechanic is such a simple way to bring the classic 2d gameplay from the series and turn it on its head, making the game a whole new beast and bringing it to the new century.

A true modern classic and a game that shows Nintendo still possesses the same expertise that made the company the best software maker in the world.

watershed

Banned
I wish there was more to do with my money. I've already beaten the game but I'm enjoying doing the rest of the optional content. I already own every item. It would be nice to have something else I could improve with my money. Something to add motivation to fighting in the overworld and finding all the treasure chests.

mileS

tumblr_mwobnprCcC1r01qyso1_400.jpg

ramyeon

Final boss spoilers.

The light arrows being used as a painting in the wall was so damn cool. In the last phase he was blocking them and then I turned around and shot the other way, wasn't expecting it to fly all the way around in a circle and hit him but it did! So damn cool.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Haha, I love all these posts about the Pegasus Boots because it's like, one of the first things I got. Haha.
It's funnier to me that people can't find the net
given its found in almost the same exact way as in LTTP.

XaosWolf

Completed this the other day clocking in at about the 18 hour mark with everything maxed out.

An absolute blast to play, my only nitpicks being that the Boomerang is practically useless, and that the
final "dungeon" is pretty boring.
Oh and the Octorok Derby is awful. AWFUL.

The bosses are all fun and there some of the best puzzles of the series in here.
Having the Energy Meter and the ability to rent everything at once actually lets you just get on with your quest and gives you more options when fighting things.

My most useful items were
Nice Bow and Nice Tornado Rod. Ranged and AoE Stun respectively. Couple the stun with the Great Spin, makes the Treacherous Tower a cakewalk. =D

And didn't twig until someone further up mentioned it but
RAVIO IS A BUNNY IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN SUPER OBVIOUS

Final boss spoilers.

The light arrows being used as a painting in the wall was so damn cool. In the last phase he was blocking them and then I turned around and shot the other way, wasn't expecting it to fly all the way around in a circle and hit him but it did! So damn cool.
YES.
Has the same feeling as the final blow in Wind Waker. =D

EDIT: And to those talking about the Pegasus Boots, I didn't get them until very late on.
Also didn't figure out how to get wall MaiaMais. =/

Needless to say I felt pretty silly.

Maiamais are these little octopus things you gather for their mother, she's the one who can upgrade your equipment.

Oh, so that's what was in that cave. This seems like one of those things you'd want to start towards the beginning of the game. Maybe I'll go after them on a replay

Cuburt

The reason why half the players aren't finding the Pegasus Boots is because
a lot of players are working off of their LTTP expectations and assume they can't catch the runner without already having them. I'm sure a lot of players find that clever but I personally found it frustrating.

I found that you didn't actually need them much in this game besides
for getting around faster and getting maimais
. Granted, I had to look it up online to find where they were and there were a few times in the beginning where I'd like to move faster but I found the pace and compact nature of the dungeons and the abundance of fast-travel locations, you don't need to run around as much in this game as you do in LTTP.

One thing I thought was really clever that also spoke to the open nature of the game is that
there was one puzzle with switches and all the explorers that can't make it to the treasure are all talking about how they can't run fast enough to get through the gates but there is another way to get through it and both explorer congratulate you on the clever solution after you get the treasure.

ramyeon

Oh and the Octorok Derby is awful. AWFUL.
I didn't have as much trouble with that as most people did, managed to get 100+ for the heart piece on my second go. Key was hitting those golden pots to spawn the bird (Which you can't miss I think?) and then the crabs to make more golden pots spawn.
And didn't twig until someone further up mentioned it but
RAVIO IS A BUNNY IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN SUPER OBVIOUS
Yep I think that was me haha.
That's pretty much what nailed it for me when I was thinking of similarities between Lorule and the Dark World in LttP. I was like "Wait a second... Link turns into a rabbit there!"

XaosWolf

I didn't have as much trouble with that as most people did, managed to get 100+ for the heart piece on my second go. Key was hitting those golden pots to spawn the bird (Which you can't miss I think?) and then the crabs to make more golden pots spawn.

Yep I think that was me haha.
That's pretty much what nailed it for me when I was thinking of similarities between Lorule and the Dark World in LttP. I was like "Wait a second... Link turns into a rabbit there!"

I got 98 and 99 in a row. It stopped being fun after that happened. =P

And for the second thing:
Also kinda explains just why he had all those items.

I'm super tempted to just download this from the eshop today. Hmmm.
It is certainly worth your (or somebody elses) money.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
So did you guys also just rent all the stuff, never to look back?

Eusis

It's funnier to me that people can't find the net
given its found in almost the same exact way as in LTTP.
Yeah, I figured it was going to be like that, then
I saw the guy that gave it to you. It's like you could just contrast the two to show how Zelda has changed in regards to its NPCs, and unlike other changes the series has had I think I prefer it this way, especially since it's probably a Twin Peaks inspired change given they said that influenced Link's Awakening and its NPCs.

I have no idea what happened between the screens that were released vs the game, but I just started this today and it looks gorgeous in person. The colors, character models, silky movements...I was pretty surprised at how great it looked. Talk about being misrepresented. I had thought the whole Wall Paint mechanic looked kinda bad(visually) in videos and whatnot, but it feels and looks outstanding in person.

I knew it was going to be a great game, but all of the bad mouthing on the visual front is just so very wrong from my short time with it. It's beautiful to look at, and it great in motion.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
This game practically just throws in major concepts and then forgets about them, not to mention it directly contradicts its own predecessors story as
Ganon having the Triforce of Power makes no sense, as at the end of A Link to The Past the Triforce is whole and in Hyrule Castle.
The game clearly says at the beginning the Triforce split at some point, we don't know when and we know that Ganon and Zelda always seem to get their part while the poor Link's have to face a challenge to get theirs.

Auskeek

So after finishing ALBW, I need more Zelda!

I still have OoT: MQ and WW and a plugged in Gamecube. I don't really feel like getting OoT3D or WWHD, convince me that I'm not missing out on much!

Ragus

Banned
Will there be any more dungeons in Hyrule after 7 Lorule dungeons? I feel like like 3 dungeons in Hyrule is a little lackluster.

TCRS

Banned
10/10 for Pink Floyd reference.

Other than that I'm a sad panda that I can't play this. Don't own a 3DS, probably not getting one anytime soon...

Robin64

The musical couple in the milk bar played me the most beautiful rendition of the Skyward Sword theme music. Someone should rip these, or at least make a list of what they play!

watershed

Banned
For Zelda Wii U I just want a bigger more in depth version of this game. Completely open world, no handholding, tackle any dungeon in any order, an item rental system of some sort, a little more story, and more npcs/towns/sidequests.

This game more than any recent Zelda captures that feeling of adventure from old Zelda games.

Top Bottom