• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Four Swords (3DS/DSi) |OT| Multi-player Zelda now with single-player, too!

fernoca

Chesskid1 said:
read the first 3 pages~

do you get any club nintendo points?
Probably the usual "post-play survey"; which appears around 1 week after you download it.

Roto13 said:
So is it safe to say that Grezzo + Zelda = annoying saving?
In what way?
Saving in here is the same as the previous games (only after you beat a "dungeon" -map-).

I think FAS let you quick-save; but not 100% sure.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
BocoDragon said:
I know it's Nintendo. I know we should expect it.

But no online play? Really? REALLY?

It just seems odd to me that they would release some free game, seemingly to make it accessible and give everyone a chance to try it... and then we're bottle-necked by having to physically find other people with DSis and 3DS?

Most people will never get to properly play this.

heh, easier than trying to round up four people with Game Boy Advances who had link cables to play FSA... amirite?

Roto13

fernoca said:
Probably the usual "post-play survey"; which appears around 1 week after you download it.

In what way?
Saving in here is the same as the previous games (only after you beat a "dungeon" -map-).

I think FAS let you quick-save; but not 100% sure.
The dungeons are too long for short bursts of play. It should save after each room. It's a handheld game.

TSA said:
Do you still have the beat the whole game 3 times or whatever before you get the real ending? If so, **** that. Randomly generated segments or not, this was the worst Zelda game back then, and looks like it still is.

Wut? You need a certain amount of rupees (forgot) for the Hero keys. No way you'd get them in the first try.

Roto13 said:
The dungeons are too long for short bursts of play. It should save after each room. It's a handheld game.

There's something called Sleep Mode. Close the 3/DS.

Roto13

Allan Holdsworth said:
Wut? You need a certain amount of rupees (forgot) for the Hero keys. No way you'd get them in the first try.

There's something called Sleep Mode. Close the 3/DS.
Or maybe I want to do something else with my 3DS. I only have like a million games in it.

Vanille

Even if the game wasn't free, there would still be a lot of people defending the lack of online. Just like the crazies who defended its absence in NSMBWii and SF643D. There always seems to be a convenient excuse.

Vanille said:
Even if the game wasn't free, there would still be a lot of people defending the lack of online. Just like the crazies who defended its absence in NSMBWii and SF643D. There always seems to be a convenient excuse.

Online on NSMBWii would literally be the worst thing ever.

dwu8991

Banned
Vanille said:

People seem to forget their was online multi player in Phantom Hourglass and their wasn't too many playing that. There's bound to be more online games from Nintendo in the near future, like Mario Kart.

I kind of like single player.

It's more of a puzzle game rather than a traditional Zelda game. You have to look at obstacles and approach them differently than you would in a regular Zelda.

fernoca

Roto13 said:
Or maybe I want to do something else with my 3DS. I only have like a million games in it.
But the 3DS has no games, stop lying!!! :p

Nah, all I'm saying is that maybe it was a design choice more than Grezzo per se. Plus most dungeons (well so far) are 10-20 minutes; unless one decides to go around looking for everything.

Vanille said:
Technically there's nothing to defend. They don't need to add online to every game, just like every game doesn't need online. That it might make some games "better" for multiplayer, yeah. But is not a requirement.

Some just want online to play the game once online and never touch it again. Same way they want more classic GB games to buy and play for a few seconds and forget they even own it. :p

As said, maybe it was technical limitations, maybe problems, maybe lazyness or maybe they just didn't wanted. :p

It's great, not as great as FSA, but still great. The LttP retro level was amazing!
You need to play this game with someone else at least once. It's so much better that way. The same goes for FSA.

D-Pad

dwu8991 said:
People seem to forget their was online multi player in Phantom Hourglass and their wasn't too many playing that.

Bad comparison. Phantom Hourglass was a single player adventure game that featured a small multiplayer component. Conversely, Four Swords' puzzles are built around multiplayer and cooperation. Before this release, the game required at least two players.

Hylian7

Roto13 said:
So is it safe to say that Grezzo + Zelda = annoying saving?
How is it annoying? Four Swords is a multiplayer game, so saving mid-level wouldn't make much sense. On top of that, the levels are different every time you go through. An autosave system after each level is very appropriate for this game.

dwu8991

Banned
Hylian7 said:
How is it annoying? Four Swords is a multiplayer game, so saving mid-level wouldn't make much sense. On top of that, the levels are different every time you go through. An autosave system after each level is very appropriate for this game.

For the single player, they should've had included a mid-save point.

Hylian7

dwu8991 said:
For the single player, they should've had included a mid-save point.
But this is not a traditional Zelda at all. The levels are meant to be played in one sitting......

You can just use sleep mode or finish the level and then turn the system off.....

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
jstevenson said:
heh, easier than trying to round up four people with Game Boy Advances who had link cables to play FSA... amirite?
Tell me about it. I bought FSA when it was released in 2004. It NEVER happened that I met another person with a GBA.

Effect

Played a bit of the single player. Pretty fun. I can see how this could be a blast to play with other people though.

zigg

I figured the SP wouldn't be so great unless the levels were redesigned to support it, but this level of dissatisfaction is surprising even me.

I'm solidly of the mind that it would have been best to leave the game MP-only. The SPization detracts from the game instead of adding to it.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
zigg said:
I figured the SP wouldn't be so great unless the levels were redesigned to support it, but this level of dissatisfaction is surprising even me.

I'm solidly of the mind that it would have been best to leave the game MP-only. The SPization detracts from the game instead of adding to it.

NOPE.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
zigg said:
Oh god I have no argument. What now.

I want to be able to play the game when I want to play the game. I want to think "oh I want to play that level again" and be able to do it. I want to be able to meander around at my own pace any time I want. I want to be able to access the content of the game on my own terms, in whatever capacity I want.

I do not care how much "worse" the single player is than the multiplayer. The single player could be an irredeemable and unplayable turd, DON'T CARE. I want ACCESS to the CONTENT by MYSELF.

I played through the entirety of Four Swords Adventures, New Super Mario Bros Wii, and 99% of the original FFCC with other people. Then I played them all over again in single player. I am thrilled that the original Four Swords finally gives me the ability to play it in whatever way I want, and frankly I literally do not care about the quality of the mode. As long as it can "be played," I'm happy.

M3d10n

Nuclear Muffin said:
MAtgS: said:
Personally I'm way more bothered by the lack of download play than online. Everyone I know only has regular or lite DSes.
It wouldn't work. The game is about 16MB. The DS only has 4MB of RAM so it simply wouldn't fit (and yes, this DSi Ware version is much larger in terms of game size than the GBA original. Probably mostly down to the greatly enhanced audio quality - and the new audio tracks, though the extra levels will inflate the size too)
The memory isn't the issue. Most DSiWare games hardly take advantage of the extra RAM or CPU speed, due to the graphics hardware being the same. The Pop Island games are good examples: they are full 3D games with lots of shit going on, run at smooth 60fps and support download and play, which means they don't go beyond vanilla DS hardware.

The issue is the effort required versus the results Nintendo wants. The game would have to be structured around download-and-play: all data used in a dungeon would need to fit into RAM all at once since downloading that data via DnP is orders of magnitude slower than loading from the DSi/3DS internal memory, forbidding any data from being loaded mid-level or streamed.

Also, this game being free (even during limited time) is obviously intended to increase DSi and 3DS value and encourage people to visit the DSi Shop and the eShop. This makes the effort required to support vanilla DS units (which were discontinued) not seem worth it, from a commercial standpoint.

The lack of online can be explained the same way: it would require far too much effort. You cannot take GBA codebase and "add online" that easily. An online mode for a game of this type is serious work and the game would need to be programmed around the netcode, which would act as the foundation of everything.

I also don't think Nintendo's internal devs have the know-how to make a game like this online without going through a large amount of hurdles. They might have people working on this kind of stuff at R&D, but I don't think it will show up as a freebie/cheap "rearrangement" of a GBA game.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I know this has nothing to do with this game, but i thought Super Mario Land 2 was supposed to come out this week with Zelda, yet i dont see it.

Mik2121

Woke up, came to check the thread again and surprise... all of you whining about something that can't be fixed instead of playing the game.

Oh well, I have now close to 40,000 rupees and i'm going back to finish the later dungeons you unlock at the end...

For some reason when I was playing multi with my siblings, we kept on getting disconnected, or annoying lag. Do we just need to sit closer together? The wireless bars that are shown on the touch screen are showing full, so I dunno what the deal is.

Anth0ny

Bisnic said:
I know this has nothing to do with this game, but i thought Super Mario Land 2 was supposed to come out this week with Zelda, yet i dont see it.

Tomorrow I'm pretty sure.

Zelda isn't technically a 3DS release. It's a DSi Store release. Mario Land 2 will be this week's standard 3DS virtual console release.

Roto13

DSiWare games come out on Thursday like every other downloadable game on Nintendo systems. This one just didn't for some reason.

57V0P.jpg

Now if I just had people to play with.

Hylian7

Okay....how THE FUCK am I supposed to kill Vaati in single player?

I can never throw the third bomb at the right time to get him down low enough. What am I doing wrong? I keep trying to time it right with switching Links....

Hylian7 said:
Okay....how THE FUCK am I supposed to kill Vaati in single player?

I can never throw the third bomb at the right time to get him down low enough. What am I doing wrong? I keep trying to time it right with switching Links....

Press Y again sets the bomb off.

BTW the lttp level was fun!

Baconbitz

Banned
I just have to say that McDonalds has by far the worst (at least for the 3DS) Internet connection. I got like 3 errors in a row before it connected to the eshop. Then I didn't have enough space so I had to delete a game. Done, reconnect. Nope, takes another three try's. When I finally start downloading the game it gives me an error part way through downloading it. At that point I just waited till I got home.

fernoca

hatchx said:
Wow, that 3DS D-Pad is poorly placed.

I'll be first to jump ship on a 3DS XL.
:p
You can use the analog nub to play, been laying this game with that and works perfectly. Can also be used for all DS, NES, GB, GBC, DSi games.

Tyeforce said:
Where else are they gonna put the D-pad? lol
QITkI.png

Mik2121

hatchx said:
Wow, that 3DS D-Pad is poorly placed.

I'll be first to jump ship on a 3DS XL.
Uhm... hold on, let me try it myself...

*plays around with his 3DS*

Uhm... nop. It's finely placed. It works.

Wait, have you used it?

Top Bottom