• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Time Dilemma (Zero Escape 3) review thread

i know a lot of people have asked this already but i REALLY need to know how bad it runs on a 3ds... is it really game breaking or it's like VLR but with laggy cutscenes =/? I don't mind the graphics but if it's unplayable because of small hit boxes and textures i may have to wait untill I get a new pc ....=/

( i have a 3ds XL, and a friend that'll probably spoil everything in this game if i'm not finished with it in two weeks after launch so, yeah :| it's a matter of ruinining the experience because of console performance vs. ruining it because of spoilers )

Overall how was the 3ds version? Got a vita but i already have money on my eshop account so im just gonna get it there first.

I said it once and I'll keep saying it: the game runs fine on the 3ds. Any problems aside from resolution and very minimal and absolutly nowhere near game breaking. If it was I wouldnt have spent 32 hours on it. There is only one puzzle in the game where I found the low resolution was a hinderance. The thing you are looking for is kind of small anyways, so....

Mariip

I said it once and I'll keep saying it: the game runs fine on the 3ds. Any problems aside from resolution and very minimal and absolutly nowhere near game breaking. If it was I wouldnt have spent 32 hours on it. There is only one puzzle in the game where I found the low resolution was a hinderance. The thing you are looking for is kind of small anyways, so....

ok, thanks! i'll give it a shot then ^^

selo

Grabbed VLR during the e3 special and loving it (almost done, one more route to go). Since i just had finished DR1 and DR2 on steam, I wanted more of the same'ish stuff and found out the 3rd was coming to steam, so i figured id play vlr and 999 first. 999 isn't on the eshop, so i guess i'll grab that on steam when it comes out :(.

At least I'll know what happens in VLR and a bit of 999 before going in to the 3rd, can't wait for the 30th! (getting steam release, although i'll miss writing notes on the 3ds memo)

hollomat

Banned
Anyone know when it'll be available to purchase on Steam? The page is up and it comes out next week, but it's not available to pre-order/buy. Seems crazy to me that they wouldn't have this available especially with the Steam Summer Sale starting today.

takoyaki

Anyone know when it'll be available to purchase on Steam? The page is up and it comes out next week, but it's not available to pre-order/buy. Seems crazy to me that they wouldn't have this available especially with the Steam Summer Sale starting today.

June 30 (2 a.m. JST) according to neoseeker

the Steam release and physical release are both June 30 (2 a.m. JST)" for Japan. Thanks to the time dilemma posed by time zones, North America will be able to play Zero Time Dilemma on steam at around 10 AM on June 29, depending on how long it takes Steam to update to unlock the game.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
June 30 (2 a.m. JST) according to neoseeker
Yeah, but that sounds more like it's when the game unlocks rather than when it becomes available for preorder. Given that the page advertises the OST and art book as "preorder bonuses" it'd be odd if they don't have it up for preorder.

takoyaki

Yeah, but that sounds more like it's when the game unlocks rather than when it becomes available for preorder. Given that the page advertises the OST and art book as "preorder bonuses" it'd be odd if they don't have it up for preorder.

I see what you mean, that really wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. No idea if/when there will be pre-orders for the Steam version, sorry.

edit:

looking at the Steam page, it sounds like everyone who purchases ZTD on Steam will be able to download the mini OST and artbook as free DLC.

Spike Chunsoft is handling the Steam version worldwide and the artbook is a 3DS/Vita preorder bonus in Japan, so maybe some wires got crossed and there won't be any pre-orders on Steam?

is there a Crash Course for VLR I could take. It's been years since I played it and got 100%. I remember the important stuff but not the context. And to my dismay I guess I forgot to save my file to the cloud on my Vita -_-

I see what you mean, that really wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. No idea if/when there will be pre-orders for the Steam version, sorry.

edit:

looking at the Steam page, it sounds like everyone who purchases ZTD on Steam will be able to download the mini OST and artbook as free DLC.

Spike Chunsoft is handling the Steam version worldwide and the artbook is a 3DS/Vita preorder bonus in Japan, so maybe some wires got crossed and there won't be any pre-orders on Steam?

Yeah, it'll probably be something like free DLC included with purchases for the first two weeks after launch, and then they'll start selling the DLC separately.

Would I still enjoy this game thoroughly if I have not played the 2nd gamedition? I've played and finished 999

You should probably play VLR first if possible (or at least watch a recap), characters and events introduced in that game will feed heavily into this one.

Soriku

Would I still enjoy this game thoroughly if I have not played the 2nd gamedition? I've played and finished 999

Not as much as if you played VLR, which is a great game. VLR has too many important plot developments.

Also ZTD isn't going anywhere, don't feel the need to skip a (very important) entry just so you can play the new game as soon as it's out...

Not as much as if you played VLR, which is a great game. VLR has too many important plot developments.

Also ZTD isn't going anywhere, don't feel the need to skip a (very important) entry just so you can play the new game as soon as it's out..

Yeah, I wish people (including the devs...) Would stop saying "nah you'll be fine, there's going to be a summary." This is some convoluted shit. Play the first two games.

Gvitor

Early in ZTD they summarize some of the events of the past games, but it works more for people who played the games to remember them than to people who never played them to learn about them.

You can play and enjoy 80% of VLR up to a certain point without playing 999, even if it's not recommended. Then after that point, you're not only stop enjoying it as much, but you'll also have 999 spoiled out for you. You absolutely should not play VLR without playing 999 first because of that.

ZTD's case is more extreme. The game wastes no time in introducing late VLR plot points without ceremony and some of the reveals and paths need VLR knowledge to be appreciated as intended.

Don't rush this, people. They went back and labeled 999 "Zero Escape Vol. 1" for a reason. ZTD is Volume 3. This is a story-heavy series. Don't half-ass it.

takoyaki

fanboynation 8.7/10
Zero Time Dilemma is the Zero Escape series' farewell sendoff. A fantastic blend of what made the other two games great. Fantastic story. Fantastic acting. Easily accessible for people who have yet to play the series, but engaging enough for long time fans. If it had to end, I'm glad this was the game to end it.

geeksworldwide 9.3/10
An intriguing story filled with challenging puzzles and a colorful cast of characters makes this game such a joy to play. Combined with the numerous story paths and a slew of different endings, you could be playing this game for quite some time if you want to see how deep the story truly gets. A rewarding experience for series fans and newcomers alike.

edit: beaten by the author ;)

Solid Raiden

Neo Member
How did I not know this was coming out so soon?! I never played 999 but Zero Escape was mind blowing! Time to dust off the vita, baby!

UberTag

Since this is the review thread, I'm gonna plop mine down right here. Please check it.
Because I'm the curious sort...

Personally, I am a bit sad that this is the end, but if it had to end, I’m glad it ended high. It delivered what is probably one of my favorite stories and experiences in a video game. An experience and feeling that only three other games have ever done, and I’ve been playing video games for 25 years. Thank you Kotaro Uchikoshi, Spike Chunsoft, and Aksys Games for the experience.
Might I ask what those three other games would be? After all, that's phenomenally high praise you've given there.

gbland

do i need to play 999 and virtue's last reward to enjoy this game?

EDIT: Never mind, I saw the previous comments

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I just might replay VLR while I wait -_-

Actually, I'm starting it for the very first time right now. 999 is one of my favorite DS games, but I've been putting off VLR for too long.

Edit: I really know next to nothing about VLR... when people talk about how long it is, or how long ZTD is, is this including replays like 999? Are replays part of VLR's story?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
How long this is in comparison to VLR? VLR is great but it's really long. Don't know if I'll have the endurance to jump into this right after finishing that up. VNs are something I need to be in the right mood for.

Parablank

How long this is in comparison to VLR? VLR is great but it's really long. Don't know if I'll have the endurance to jump into this right after finishing that up. VNs are something I need to be in the right mood for.

heard it's about
20-25 hours long

vlr took me 33hrs so I'm pretty happy

Actually, I'm starting it for the very first time right now. 999 is one of my favorite DS games, but I've been putting off VLR for too long.

Edit: I really know next to nothing about VLR... when people talk about how long it is, or how long ZTD is, is this including replays like 999? Are replays part of VLR's story?
Not technically replays. There's a flowchart and yes, you have to go down every route to get the full story.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member

VLR can anywhere between 25-35 hours or so depending on your reading speed and puzzle solving speed, and that's not including replays -- since there are none. VLR doesn't make you start a new save to make different decisions, you simply open the flowchart and jump back to where the decision that you made was, and make the other decision. Unlike 999 you don't have to replay escape rooms, or read text you've already seen in VLR, press Y/Square twice will make the game skip through any text you've already seen, since some routes have sections of text in common.
You'll need to go down practically every single route to get the true ending, but every route and ending is important.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
VLR can anywhere between 25-35 hours or so depending on your reading speed and puzzle solving speed, and that's not including replays -- since there are none. VLR doesn't make you start a new save to make different decisions, you simply open the flowchart and jump back to where the decision that you made was, and make the other decision. Unlike 999 you don't have to replay escape rooms, or read text you've already seen in VLR, press Y/Square twice will make the game skip through any text you've already seen, since some routes have sections of text in common.
You'll need to go down practically every single route to get the true ending, but every route and ending is important.
Aww, I liked the replaying... but wow, i'm kinda pissed. I just started out on the first room and
I got the little paper with the people all over it and it says on there "try counting the number of babies and old people." What the heck?? It's giving away an entire puzzle! I have it on hard already. is the whole thing like that where text will just say "hey solve the puzzle this way"?

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Aww, I liked the replaying... but wow, i'm kinda pissed. I just started out on the first room and
I got the little paper with the people all over it and it says on there "try counting the number of babies and old people." What the heck?? It's giving away an entire puzzle! I have it on hard already. is the whole thing like that where text will just say "hey solve the puzzle this way"?

Nah, VLR can get tough as hell sometimes, certainly far more than 999. Especially if you want the gold files.
The first puzzle is just trying to be kind to you.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
It's just the first puzzle. I think you'll enjoy hard and VLR's two solutions for every room approach.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
PC Review Codes were just sent out. Looking forward to seeing how this version handles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTbPlsmZVLk&feature=youtu.be

yPtFtBd.jpg

For the first time in the series, an options menu! Cursor speed is something I'm especially happy to see, VLR's was far too fast.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

That's basically the tutorial.

Acid08

Banned
I got a response on Amazon about the watch LE:

x2EbiZc.png

It's like half generic response with multiple parts contradicting other parts? I don't know.

Top Bottom