• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Time Dilemma (Zero Escape 3) review thread

I played on n3DS so I don't know if that makes a difference, but it does go that low in a few instances when the entire screen is covered in particle effects. These only last a few seconds. The biggest downside to the 3DS version (assuming the game performs the same on old 3DS) is the low resolution making some puzzle room items and points of interest difficult to spot.

EDIT: I should add that if you have access to a Vita or PC then there's no reason you should bother with the 3DS version, but overall I thought it was slightly more solid of a port than VLR on 3DS. There doesn't seem to be any game breaking glitches this time, at least.

I played on a n3ds and framerate never got that low. It dropped a bit yes, but never as low as people are claiming.

But i agree on the low resolution and puzzles.....

I'm pretty sure i hate you... no offense.

Non taken. :)

Yikes. I wanted to get this on 3DS to have all of the games on one platform but I guess I'll go with the Steam version.

It is perfectly playable on the 3ds. Besides issues with the low resolution and puzzle hints, which only affect one puzzle room, there is nothing about that version that is soooooo terrible that you would completely ignore it.

Other wise I wouldnt have sunk 20+ hours into that version.

Panda Rin

Is there a place to catch up on the events on VLR? I don't mind watching all the paths or lengthy reads, rather not go through the puzzles again (lost my save file).

Gvitor

Yeah, those framerate comments are a bit too much. I never experienced them, others on the thread also didn't. They might happen, but not frequent and bad enough to ruin an experience. The 3DS has other things to offer, such as portability and touch screen controls versus the image and sound quality the PC version has. If you value those things like I and many others do, or simply want to have the whole trilogy in the 3DS, I'd say go for it, they are easy to look over issues.

mStudios

It is perfectly playable on the 3ds. Besides issues with the low resolution and puzzle hints, which only affect one puzzle room, there is nothing about that version that is soooooo terrible that you would completely ignore it.

Other wise I wouldnt have sunk 20+ hours into that version.

I had a question few pages ago, but here is it again:

How do they manage this:

The explanation of the VLR timelines. Is it satisfactory and well esplained?

By that I mean, if it makes total sense what they explained before

takoyaki

very early aggregate scores

screenshot2016-06-23aujlk7.png

metacritic (Vita) (95)

screenshot2016-06-23amguzj.png

opencritic (91)

Vibed

Yeah, those framerate comments are a bit too much. I never experienced them, others on the thread also didn't. They might happen, but not frequent and bad enough to ruin an experience. The 3DS has other things to offer, such as portability and touch screen controls versus the image and sound quality the PC version has. If you value those things like I and many others do, or simply want to have the whole trilogy in the 3DS, I'd say go for it, they are easy to look over issues.

This is my situation. I'm teetering between waiting for Steam, getting a PSTV and jumping through some return and payment hoops, or sticking with my 3DS Watch order. Having every game on the 3DS would be nice, plus portability.

what to do what to do lol

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Um...was anyone else surprised to learn this was coming out this month?

For some reason I thought this was 2017. HYPE.

I thought it would be in August or September. Months away.

Then I see the release date in this thread and was like oh wait what

DNAbro

This is my situation. I'm teetering between waiting for Steam, getting a PSTV and jumping through some return and payment hoops, or sticking with my 3DS Watch order. Having every game on the 3DS would be nice, plus portability.

what to do what to do lol

buy all of them?

takoyaki

iplaypsvita 9/10 [more direct Vita screenshots from the story/puzzle part, no new spoilers]

There is issues though: Slowdown with cutscenes happen a lot and everybody seems mechanical in movement which I found odd. Also found a few bugs in cutscenes like when a character’s mouth opened you could see what was behind their mouth in the room though after redoing, it went back to normal.

[...]There is no lag during gameplay and loading is quick and I guess with the new graphics bugs or weird issues like hair moving around will happen just odd.

Overall, Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma is a great conclusion to the epic series and with all the new gameplay elements it hasn’t hurt the original style, just improved over it and polished it up while leaving a few issues around. I have 21 hours into the game and not even done yet but this seems to be a very long game and well worth picking up. The first two are great to play if you are going into this but also as well not 100% needed but will help knowing things.

Presentation - 9/10
Music - 9/10
Gameplay - 9/10
Lasting Appeal - 9/10

+ Graphics look great
+ Voice acting is done well
+ Team system is a great addition
- Few gameplay quirks
- Bodies seem mechanical
- Some puzzles will make you go insane

I had a question few pages ago, but here is it again:

How do they manage this:

The explanation of the VLR timelines. Is it satisfactory and well esplained?

By that I mean, if it makes total sense what they explained before

You mean the overall timeline or each specific timeline? If it"s the first they give a simpler to understand recap of it. If it is traveling between each specific branch then no. At least not that I recall.

Not sure if I should spoiler this or not, but I will.

Without giving specifics,
is it true that they hint at a possible 4th game? Yes or no will be fine.

CassSept

3DS framerate comments are very disconcerting, I'm starting to lean towards steam version but the portability factor is huge for a VN...

takoyaki

usgamer [review-in-progress, by Bob Mackey]

As of now, I've worked my way through a large portion of Zero Time Dilemma's story fragments, but as with the past games, writer Kotaro Uchikoshi typically aims for Stephen King-size tomes over a story that would be more economical. Still, with a game that shrouds so many truths in mystery, it's definitely hard to lose interest in the plot—especially if you've been a fan of the series since 999 and never thought this final installment would even be a possibility. For the time being, I definitely haven't been disappointed by Zero Time Dilemma, but be sure to check back with USgamer soon for my final thoughts and score.

So I went to preorder a copy of this game for in-store pickup at best buy and they are telling me there isn't a retail copy near me in a 250 mile radius.

So I went to preorder a copy of this game for in-store pickup at best buy and they are telling me there isn't a retail copy near me in a 250 mile radius.

The game doesn't come out until next Tuesday, and, it's looking like Aksys or whoever ships the game to retailers, is late with their shipment like they were with VLR.

takoyaki

reviews2go 8/10 [more details on the technical differences between 3DS/Vita version]

Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma is something I simply couldn’t put down because of how emotional the plot was. On the downside of each version, the 3DS has washed out visuals and a volume issue while the PS Vita version has performance issues during scenes and with some of the button controls. It all comes down to what’s more important to you, visuals/sound or smooth gameplay.

[...]Visually, the games look the same bit different. The PS Vita version has much more detailed and crisper visuals in the 3D Cel-Shading scenes. When you look on the 3DS, there are a lot more jagged edges on the models, there’s less detail on the models, and the color shades look very washed out compared to the same models on the Vita.

Then we have the volume issue on the 3DS. When you play the game on the Vita, there is an obvious difference in how Zero’s voice is compared to everything else. It’s not as loud and sometimes you need to tweak the voice volume to hear him correctly. Along with this, the voice is strangely low in the 3DS version compared to the Vita version. Even with the voice volume all the way up and the system volume cranked all the way up, I had a hard time hearing what he was saying even when I was in a silent room.

Finally, we have performance. The Load Times are the first things I’ll talk about. Loading sequences for the game aren’t bad. The Vita version maybe has you waiting 5-6 seconds for a screen to load while the 3DS will have you waiting 2-3 seconds. The 3DS does have faster load times, but neither is really worth getting down about. You’re not going to be waiting long no matter which version you’re playing.

As far as frame drops are concerned, these are more noticeable on the PS Vita. There are many times where you will see the frames slow down in scenes, in the same way they do when you use physical buttons to move the cursor in escape rooms.

more at the link

takoyaki

hardcoregamer 4/5
While it ends up feeling a bit like the weakest game in the series so far, even a weak Zero Escape game is still an absolute delight, and Zero Time Dilemma is no exception. Between the magnificent and bizarre mystery that keeps you captivated, the colorful cast of characters and the nicely perplexing puzzles, this is one for visual novel, puzzle and adventure game fans alike. Heck, it’s a darn good game for anyone in general and one that can easily get newcomers hooked enough to try the earlier games as well (which you absolutely should, of course). Some parts could use a bit more polish (maybe tone down The Walking Dead influences next time), but in the end, it’s safe to say that Operation Bluebird was a success.

The game doesn't come out until next Tuesday, and, it's looking like Aksys or whoever ships the game to retailers, is late with their shipment like they were with VLR.

I literally cannot order the game for in-store pickup......period.

Like, I cannot even order the game unless I have them ship it to me.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
What's everyones status on the collectors edition of the vita version on amazon?

Not yet shipped
Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date.

placed my order on july 7, 2015 :(

OVDRobo

I somehow only just discovered this game was digital-only in EU, but these scores have convinced me to go the extra mile and pay the import taxes to get the physical Vita version.

Shame about the apparent 3DS performance issues since I wanted to keep the series on one system, but after putting up with the crashing issues in the 3DS version of VLR that never got patched, it's probably the safest bet to go Vita on this one anyway.

Looking forward to seeing how the story concludes.

I emailed Amazon about my watch version just a generic reply and they updated my order to priority shipping or something. The wait continues.

takoyaki

kotaku: Why You Need To Play The Zero Escape Series [Jason Schreier’s update on his Kotaku review & the series in general]

[...]I beat Zero Time Dilemma last night after several marathon sessions. I’ll have a full review up on Kotaku at some point before Tuesday. Short version: it’s excellent.

For now, though, I want to talk to those of you who have never played a Zero Escape game before. Really, what are you thinking? If you like stories, or emotional resonance, or video games that explore the form of interactive entertainment to craft intricate, complicated narratives that can only be told through video games, you need to play these things.

[...]Despite what series director (and overall genius) Kotaro Uchikoshi has said about Zero Time Dilemma being designed for newcomers, you will not appreciate the newest Zero Escape nearly as much unless you’ve played the first two games.

These review scores are looking fantastic so far! Not surprising. This might be the most unappreciated series ever. It's unbelievably good. Can't wait for my copy!

KmA

I've been on a media blackout for this game and these review scores are making me scream!! I'm literally so ready for this.

Smellycat

I've been on a media blackout for this game and these review scores are making me scream!! I'm literally so ready for this.

same haha, I can't wait. What sucks though is that I can't afford to play this game now because I will spend 2-3 days doing nothing but playing it and I can't afford to do that right now lol

takoyaki

gameinformer 8.75/10

"A Mind-bending Adventure Through A Maze Of Death And Heartbreak"

[...]Zero Time Dilemma works best when it’s at its weirdest, forcing players down strange narrative alleyways or making them scratch their heads over vexing puzzles. That said, a number of small aggravations diminish Dilemma’s charm. The escape the room phases have you searching the environment for necessary objects, but sometimes they are unreasonably tiny. […]

And while this third game in a series with complex lore does a commendable job as a standalone title, a few conversations between characters returning from earlier games end up being little more than Wikipedia plot summaries used to help catch new players up to speed. Trying to help newcomers out isn’t a bad idea in itself, but the execution here is particularly poor, with characters suddenly shifting from personal conversations into line after line of exposition. The silver lining to this is that these conversations contain nods to the previous games and adds context, so as fan service they work – even if they bring the pacing to a grinding halt occasionally.

[...]The small aggravations do little to damage Zero Time Dilemma when it’s firing on all cylinders and letting you take control of this interactive story in engaging and memorable ways. The final chapter of the Zero Escape series is an excellent horror adventure both for fans and newcomers, allowing them to be storytellers in addition to players, defying time and fate to create their own twisted, macabre labyrinths.

Top Bottom