• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zodiac now on sale at CompUSA

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/06/24/news_6101286.html

Formerly available only online from Tapwave, the hybrid PDA/game deck can now be purchased at retail.

Tapwave announced today that Zodiac, last year's upstart PDA/game deck, has officially moved from clicks to bricks. The device, which combines PDA capabilities with gaming functionality, is now available in all 277 CompUSA stores nationwide and on the CompUSA Web site. Tapwave will continue to sell the Zodiac and all of its games and accessories on its own Web site, which was formerly the only place it could be purchased.

CompUSA is offering both versions of the Zodiac: the Zodiac 1 and Zodiac 2. Both feature a 200MHz processor, a 3.8-inch display with half-VGA graphics, a Yamaha soundcard, and a built-in Bluetooth radio. The Zodiac 1 has 32MB of RAM and is available for $299, while the Zodiac 2 has 128MB of RAM and will sell for $399.

Along with the device itself, CompUSA will carry Zodiac games and accessories. Among the games currently available are Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 and the remake of Spy Hunter, as well as several game packs. Tapwave promises that in a few weeks gamers will also be able to pick up Doom II and Duke Nukem Mobile. Later this year the company is expecting to offer several premiere titles, including Street Hoops, Neverwinter Nights, and Tomb Raider, all of which should become available in CompUSA stores and online.

To find out more about the Zodiac, check out GameSpot's feature on the device.

I almost bought one last year, but ultimately decided to wait. I probably won't buy one now, but I hear they have some good emulators on it...

Too bad they couldn't have released to the stores earlier. Now that the PSP is looming on the horizon, I'm not sure how many people will purchase one. Still, might be a good buy if you're in the market for a PDA.

neptunes said:
I heard it could emulate the GBA...but why would you want that?

Yeah, that's ridiculous. I've heard that there are near perfect Neo Geo and SNES emulators for it, but I can't verify it as I haven't followed up on it since last fall.

Well, it has sufficient horspower for Genesis/SNES emulation, and considering it has the right button configuration and more than enough resolution for the SNES, it sounds like a pretty nifty device (when the emulation software is far enough along)

Having held one, though, its a gigantic pain in the ass. If you thought the original GBA was bad enough without grips, this is even worse. There is what, a few milimeters of clearance between Left on the analog pad and the edge of the unit?

The controls are nice - I think the four way buttons are shaped terrible but seem to work decently - but for a "game system", they've really didn't try so hard - control schemes are iffy, and some of the pack in games just don't recognize the buttons at all. It really feels like a PDA first and a game console second.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I'd like to know more about the Neo-Geo emulator. Do you have a link? If that worked well enough, I'll buy the Zodiac in a heartbeat. :)

EDIT: Never mind...doesn't seem powerful enough to emulate the Neo. :p

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
The tapwave is a PDA/Gaming hybrid done right. It's never gonna be a mainstream handheld gaming device, but those who need PDA functionality who are also gamers now have a viable option.

Rhindle

In an ideal world, Nintendo would ditch the DS, and just license the Zodiac design. It has all the potentially good things about the DS (same ARM processor, touch screen), and none of the nonsense (dual screen, microphone, cheap plasticky case).

The reality is that it is a well-designed system that will see virtually no software development and will be forgotten by this time next year.

Top Bottom