Destiny will continue to have paid expansions/DLC (Read OP)

Destiny's microtransactions and paid expansions are both selling well, Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg said on an earnings call today, November 3. As such, Destiny players can expect to see more of both in the future. Not one or the other, but both--and at the same time, Hirshberg explained.

There was some confusion caused by kotaku that since the microtransaction store was implemented it would fund future DLC entirely.

This isn't the case. Microtransactions will fund the newly constructed live team that I assume is responsible for the awesome Halloween event and DLC will still release as larger content packages.


Remember bungie never spoke on the issue it was all caused by kotaku spreading some confusion.


Full Article @ Gamespot

Mod edit:

This is in line with what Kotaku reported a month ago, so while not new news, it is the first time this has been confirmed: Kotaku article from a month ago.

Kotaku said:
This is all part of a new plan that could start as early as this month, according to two people familiar with Destiny’s development. Rather than sell big expansion packs like they did last year, Bungie is planning on giving out quests and missions for free, sources say. This will likely involve big drops every few months until the fall of 2016 but could also include trickles of smaller stuff throughout the year.

That means the game’s next paid expansion will be Destiny 2 in the fall of 2016, as has been known for a while now. That’ll be $60.
 
Activision lmao

Company behind WoW's financial paradigm shift to putting shit on the store, raising expansion prices, etc wasn't going to let that potential go to waste for Destiny
 

Ophelion

Member
Edit: Changed my mind. This is misinformation nonsense. Someone really wanted to just make a mountain out of a mole hill.
 

Human_me

Member
im_shocked.gif
.
 

MrDaravon

Member
I need to find the original Kotaku article, but I don't remember Bungie/Activision's official statement even suggesting that we would be getting full-on expansions for free now because of the cosmetic DLCs, I thought it just implied we'd be getting smaller free things from the Live team over the course of the year.
 

Kriken

Member
Well they WERE going to be free, but now we decided to use the money for the expansions to help finance the purchase of King instead, so...
 
There was some confusion caused by kotaku that since the microtransaction store was implemented it would fund future DLC entirely.

This isn't the case. Microtransactions will fund the newly constructed live team that I assume is responsible for the awesome Halloween event and DLC will still release as larger content packages.


Remember bungie never spoke on the issue it was all caused by kotaku spreading some confusion.


Full Article @ Gamespot

So Bungie just didn't bother to clarify a fairly massive misunderstanding by the community, and instead saved it for an earnings report?

That either speaks to intense incompetence, or outright malice.
 

Lothars

Member
Do they count taken king as a paid expansion or something different? If they do than this really doesn't change anything meaning they could still be offering content like dark below and house of wolves for free.

If they count Taken King as separate than the expansions than yes that's an issue but the quote is really not clear.

Expansions like TTK will always be paid, I'd assume things like Dark Below would be the free updates.
Exactly
 
A company making sure that they will potencialize their earnings by expanding their succesful business model.

I'm schocked.
 

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Ugh, not sure how I feel about this. I normally don't mind optional cosmetic microtransactions, but that Kotaku article painted a picture I was really hoping for. The sting of disappointment is real. :(
 

Arrrammis

Member
Well, no way that this thread could go wrong.

Anyways, personally I'm fine with this. People who want extra emotes can buy them, people who don't want to buy them don't have to.(Seriously, some people can't seem to grasp this concept) From what we've gotten in game so far this year, the live/events team seems way more motivated, and if the emotes selling is what is causing that, I'm all for it. I'll join the angry pitchforks and torches mob if they sell stuff that actually affects your character, but for now it's great. Also, since they are slowly feeding more content into the game, I expect to have fewer DLC's, but have them be much more new content. I am honestly excited to see what they do with the extra funds.
 

DrArchon

Member
I was about to make a snide comment about Activision eventually requiring a subscription fee for Destiny, but then I remembered that you need to buy all the DLC to realistically keep playing the game so yeah.
 

Tagyhag

Member
This reminds me of when Jeff Gerstmann was talking about it.

He asked if microtransactions are being used to pay for Destiny's live team, then what the fuck did it have before? What happened to the 500 million budget?
 

Alucrid

Banned
Shitty if it's what it seems like it is. Of course the taken king is also paid dlc, so he could be talking about the yearly expansion after destiny 2 launches
 

kadotsu

Banned
So now that the live team was kickstarted, what are they doing? Some candles and more ways to spend silver for masks isn't really what I would call satisfying content.
 

Gold_Loot

Member
Expansions like TTK will always be paid, I'd assume things like Dark Below would be the free updates.
Pretty much this. Of course you're going to have the usual suspects spewing the "Fuck Bungie" BS without actually processing any information.
 

Arrrammis

Member
This reminds me of when Jeff Gerstmann was talking about it.

He asked if microtransactions are being used to pay for Destiny's live team, then what the fuck did it have before? What happened to the 500 million budget?

It was all invested into a story, writing, and cool cutscenes, but then the corporate *******'s decided they didn't like the overall story and decided to flush that whole budget down the toilet.

So now that the live team was kickstarted, what are they doing? Some candles and more ways to spend silver for masks isn't really what I would call satisfying content.

Multiple quests being slowly added, new monthly events, and a challenge mode of the endgame activities looming seems like quite a bit to me. Even the "candles" as you say brought more questlines and activities for people to pursue.
 

JoseLopez

Member
Hah, my friend told me he knows a dude that buys literally everything so the dances and shit and the expansion packs.
 

cakely

Member
Well, poop.

I thought the Micro trans-jacksons would give us trickle content through Destiny 2.

We got "The Dark Below" in December ... nothing is coming that quickly, right?
 
I mean...I can't say I bought any of the dances because I thought it meant free DLC...I bought them because I get a kick out of them. If they'll fund big events like the Halloween ones, I'm okay with that as well.

Personally, I didn't think we'd be getting raids or high level endgame activities for free, so I'm just glad that the possibility of another raid launching between now and September 2016 is a real one.
Even if it costs $20
 

GhaleonEB

Member
So Bungie just didn't bother to clarify a fairly massive misunderstanding by the community, and instead saved it for an earnings report?

That either speaks to intense incompetence, or outright malice.
Alternately, they announced their plans for the next year and implied strongly, without announcing it a year in advance, that expansions will continue after that year.

Microtransactions alongside expansions is the status quo for Destiny:

End of year expansions.

Stream of events/etc. during the year funded by the cosmetic microtransactions.
 

Krakn3Dfx

Member
So people paying for expansions/DLC are what's funding expansions/DLC, and the microtransactions are just ActiBungie being ActiBungie.

57823592.jpg
 

mr2xxx

Banned
They are a publicly traded company, how would you explain to your investors that you are giving away the thing that you easily sold for $30-$40 a piece for free? Investors are like
latest


when it comes to making money from DLC and micro-transactions.
 
This isn't new. Bungie will have free smaller "DLC" and paid for expansions, microtransaction will help pay for the "DLC" like Queen Bounties, Trials, HoW (no raid type stuff). Unless I am reading it incorrectly.
 
Good. I think I'd let Destiny go until Destiny 2 if there were no more paid DLCs. The free content is too miniscule and sparse to keep me interested. Cabal raid plz.
 
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well, whatever. I'll still buy it. Still worth it. Bring it on.
 

kiguel182

Member
If by expansions they mean stuff like The Taken King then it's good and it means they won't do sequels I guess.

If they mean stuff like Dark Below then it's a bummer since I was hoping that stuff would become free.
 
I knew the rumor was too good to be true, but I hope that microtransactions act as a subsidy of sorts for paid DLC (i.e., making something like The Dark Below and House of Wolves $10 instead of $20.)
 

Lothars

Member
This isn't new. Bungie will have free smaller "DLC" and paid for expansions, microtransaction will help pay for the "DLC" like Queen Bounties, Trials, HoW (no raid type stuff). Unless I am reading it incorrectly.
Which I think you are or at least there's been no proper clarification.
 
Top Bottom