• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 6, Part 1 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plenty of stuff has happened. Is it non stop action with Rick and the gang surviving and slaughtering bad guys? No of course not, even the comic book is people sitting around talking to each other about how they feel half the time. Maggie being pregnant, Rick teaching Ron to shoot, Daryl's crossbow and bike being stolen by Dwight, seeing a new group of bad guys, learning more about Morgan's philosophy on not killing, Abe and Sasha getting closer (how will it effect Rosita). This is all important stuff whether you like the characters and what's going on it all matters.

I agree that these last four episodes where slow with not moving the herd plot forward but all these episodes were needed. Plenty of stuff happened we just won't see most of it play out till the other half of this season.

I'm not bitching about a lack of action.

I'm bitching about the characters being BORING.

Guys, this is a repeat of Season 2. Everyone said "omg it's not about the zombies, it's about the characters, it's a character drama!"

Yes, I know, and I'm saying the characters are shit and the drama put around them is shit.

The well thing was worse because it was a dumb decision made by the group - the decision to crawl across the wire was made by a single inexperienced dude, which makes it far more believable.

I refuse to believe anyone would try and shimmy across a wire over dozens of zombies to get to a car and not tell anyone for back up or support.

I bet the kid tries to shoot Carl but it ends up he loaded the wrong caliber bullets.

*click*

Then he gets eaten by a mob of walkers.

Its probably just going to be an accident. The Zedds come in after the tower falls, idiot new shooter kid at some point is shooting at them, shoots carl, and then he goes on to have his sad episode that everyone in this horrible show has where they are extremely annoying.

I don't know that I've ever posted here for fear of spoilers, but my girl and I love the show and always had hope that the homie Glenn made it out alive.

Glen's my favorite character of the series, but I much would have preferred he died than survive in the stupid way he did. Or let the scenario happen to someone else if you must include something so dumb.

Its probably just going to be an accident. The Zedds come in after the tower falls, idiot new shooter kid at some point is shooting at them, shoots carl, and then he goes on to have his sad episode that everyone in this horrible show has where they are extremely annoying.
He stole those bullets. It won't be an accident because he was planning it out before the zombie attack even happened.

Still more believable than a group of adults sending another adult into a well occupied by a large zombie.

still amazingly stupid and produced because the episode had no other drama than that.

Remember how the well scene was the only scene with a zombie or any type of "drama" in it for that entire episode?

I can't remember any type of "drama" or tension outside of this wire scene. The scene didn't add anything to the story, didn't have any big ramifications to any relationships, it did nothing. It was literally "oh shit we need something to happen, what can we write in?"

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
still amazingly stupid and produced because the episode had no other drama than that.

Remember how the well scene was the only scene with a zombie or any type of "drama" in it for that entire episode?

I can't remember any type of "drama" or tension outside of this wire scene. The scene didn't add anything to the story, didn't have any big ramifications to any relationships, it did nothing. It was literally "oh shit we need something to happen, what can we write in?"

fwiw, it's a scene from the comic, but there it had more set up and made more sense. This was just dumb Spencer trying to be a hero.

dustyherb

I'm not bitching about a lack of action.

I'm bitching about the characters being BORING.

Guys, this is a repeat of Season 2. Everyone said "omg it's not about the zombies, it's about the characters, it's a character drama!"

Yes, I know, and I'm saying the characters are shit and the drama put around them is shit.
Nah season 2 was just a love triangle soap opera between Rick, Shane, and Lori. I don't see anything else going on right now that was as bad as that dumb crap.

I mean if you think the characters are that bad and boring why even keep watching? I think most the characters have gotten better with time and the actors really growing into the roles. I will admit some have gotten worse like Daryl who isn't doing much of anything honestly. There are plenty of characters to be introduced still so maybe you will like what's to come.

Sheppard

I can't put anything pass them, but I think even they would have to realize how silly that would be. The true shocker would be for speculation on a comic spoiler
Negan to kill Maggie in front of Glenn. Killing a pregnant woman isn't new for this show (I think Lori died prior to her baby being cut out of her), but that would really resonate. Either that or killing Daryl, but the fans would riot.

I WAS JUST THINKING THIS! It would be done way better this way.

jond76

Banned
I want to thank all of you hate watchers for keeping this the highest rated cable show. Without your lack of self control and inability to walk away from a show you clearly despise, I may have never had Fear the Walking Dead.

Please continue to hate watch so that I may get another spinoff. I love the show and love zombies. So thanks.

Nah season 2 was just a love triangle soap opera between Rick, Shane, and Lori. I don't see anything else going on right now that was as bad as that dumb crap.

I mean if you think the characters are that bad and boring why even keep watching? I think most the characters have gotten better with time and the actors really growing into the roles. I will admit some have gotten worse like Daryl who isn't doing much of anything honestly. There are plenty of characters to be introduced still so maybe you will like what's to come.

Because

1) I'm invested, it's six seasons

2) The characters were fucking great the last two seasons, but we're back in a holding pattern of characters not doing anything for reasons

3) I've seen the highs of this show after the horrible, horrible lows of Season 2 and Season 3. I stopped watching the show after Season 3 and only picked it up after I heard how Season 4 started off pretty decent.

Like I said, if you have your main characters stuck in a holding pattern waiting for shit to happen and have episodes where the net gain of literally zero plot wise, something is wrong.

Partition

Banned
And I watched every episode of Dexter along with many others. Do people not understand it's hard to leave a show that you have invested so many episodes in? Stop watching it won't help because everyone will be talking about it regardless, and there is always a little glimmer of hope that things can improve; even if those good episodes only come few and very far in between.

If the fans of this show weren't so concerned about "hate watchers" as if they are defending a popstar they stan, and instead were more vocal about criticism, maybe AMC would actually listen.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I want to thank all of you hate watchers for keeping this the highest rated cable show. Without your lack of self control and inability to walk away from a show you clearly despise, I may have never had Fear the Walking Dead.

Please continue to hate watch so that I may get another spinoff. I love the show and love zombies. So thanks.

I like you.

Time to switch to the superior walker show, GAF.

Because

2) The characters were fucking great the last two seasons, but we're back in a holding pattern of characters not doing anything for reasons
Two days. That's how much time has passed.

It may seem long and drawn out to us, but for the characters, a shitload of stuff is happening in a very short amount of time. Walker herd, wolf massacre, losing people, Deanna hardening, Denise stepping up, Carol seeming to question her actions, Morgan's mindset being challenged, Alexandrians getting a wake-up call, Daryl stumbling into another group that's having its own issues, etc.

The characters were literally fighting off a violent gang of killers mere hours ago. A day before, they were dealing with tens of thousands of walkers. Characters are doing a lot of things. You have to remember that it's only been a very short time frame.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Plenty of stuff has happened. Is it non stop action with Rick and the gang surviving and slaughtering bad guys? No of course not, even the comic book is people sitting around talking to each other about how they feel half the time. Maggie being pregnant, Rick teaching Ron to shoot, Daryl's crossbow and bike being stolen by Dwight, seeing a new group of bad guys, learning more about Morgan's philosophy on not killing, Abe and Sasha getting closer (how will it effect Rosita). This is all important stuff whether you like the characters and what's going on it all matters.

I agree that these last four episodes where slow with not moving the herd plot forward but all these episodes were needed. Plenty of stuff happened we just won't see most of it play out till the other half of this season.

The stuff that has happened is just not interesting. Also, it's stitched together with horrible writing. How many boring monologues do we need from all of these people? Talking about stuff that we've been over time and time again. Ugh.

Sendero

Rosita having a scene focused on her, sort of spells doom. She either will be a casualty next week (and make space for Abe+Sasha) or once she see both of them getting closer, will cause her do something stupid on the 2nd half.

It's also interesting that the cleric is constantly appearing, but in a muted way. Same with Sam (the kid afraid of monsters). Something is being brewed there.

As for the tower, I never understood why the wall engineer never considered to enclose it as well. It's the highest vantage point there, which makes it invaluable for multiple reasons. And it's literally just a few meters away from the wall.

jond76

Banned
And I watched every episode of Dexter along with many others. Do people not understand it's hard to leave a show that you have invested so many episodes in? Stop watching it won't help because everyone will be talking about it regardless, and there is always a little glimmer of hope that things can improve; even if those good episodes only come few and very far in between.

If the fans of this show weren't so concerned about "hate watchers" as if they are defending a popstar they stan, and instead were more vocal about criticism, maybe AMC would actually listen.

But I have very little criticism. I like the show. It's about people surviving the zombie apocalypse. There's no cure to seek out, no main zombie to hunt down. There's ups and downs.

I have no problem ditching shows, Under the Dome after 2 seasons, Falling Skies after 3. I barely have enough time to watch the shows I WANT to watch, so if I think a show turns to shit I'll drop it no problem.

Saty

Back to old habits. Stupidity up to the max. Sitting on their hands and not doing anything. A single noisemaker thrown out would send the herd away. Do fucking something! Shoot flares up away to divert them. Start a fire away from the camp. Can't even notice the tower has been slowly giving away for days.
The one thing you certainly DON'T do is let zombies pound your walls and surround you. Same thing that led to the prison falling. People sitting around and not doing anything to draw the zombies away even though they are fully capable to.

Manufactured drama. Camp is breached again by sheer stupidity and idleness of the group. Spencer deciding on his own to do the most stupid thing ever. Annoying teen character looking to murder annoying teen character.

dustyherb

Because

3) I've seen the highs of this show after the horrible, horrible lows of Season 2 and Season 3. I stopped watching the show after Season 3 and only picked it up after I heard how Season 4 started off pretty decent.

Like I said, if you have your main characters stuck in a holding pattern waiting for shit to happen and have episodes where the net gain of literally zero plot wise, something is wrong.
Ya true I wouldn't quit a show I was watching this long either. I think the biggest problem and the comics has it as well is that there's so many characters. It's going to look like our main characters aren't doing shit cause they have to develop the alexandrines and everyone else new. They just need to start killing more characters off which I have a feeling 6b is going to be that start of that. There's just too many "fan favorite" characters right now to balance.

Back to old habits. Stupidity up to the max. Sitting on their hands and not doing anything. A single noisemaker thrown out would send the herd away. Do fucking something! Shoot flares up away to divert them. Start a fire away from the camp. Can't even notice the tower has been slowly giving away for days.
It's only been hours, not days. At the most, 24 hours

Wolf attack > Night time > Tower falls next day

Rosita having a scene focused on her, sort of spells doom. She either will be a casualty next week (and make space for Abe+Sasha) or once she see both of them getting closer, will cause her do something stupid on the 2nd half.

It's also interesting that the cleric is constantly appearing, but in a muted way. Same with Sam (the kid afraid of monsters). Something is being brewed there.

As for the tower, I never understood why the wall engineer never considered to enclose it as well. It's the highest vantage point there, which makes it invaluable for multiple reasons. And it's literally just a few meters away from the wall.

It goes to show you just how unprepared they were for what the outside world was really like. They didn't even think about vantage points

Two days. That's how much time has passed.

It may seem long and drawn out to us, but for the characters, a shitload of stuff is happening in a very short amount of time. Walker herd, wolf massacre, losing people, Deanna hardening, Denise stepping up, Carol seeming to question her actions, Morgan's mindset being challenged, Alexandrians getting a wake-up call, Daryl stumbling into another group that's having its own issues, etc.

It doesn't matter how much time has passed in the show when it's been a month in real time with four episodes.

The show is meant for US. It's shot and acted for the audience to consume. It's not my fault the show had a set up that is taking a four hours of TV time to execute while over a short time in the story, thus dragging it out with episodes where nearly nothing happens other than Daryl losing his crossbow, Glenn walking away, a 90 minute special that could have been a normal length episode (after a fucking fake out) and some idiot causing drama because the writers forgot to write it in.

It's been four episodes since "Thank You", it's time to stop accepting massive filler episodes because "well it's not all about the action" when the entire point of these filler episodes is to try and fill the time between the start of the season (which had big action) and the big action mid season finale.

dustyherb

The stuff that has happened is just not interesting. Also, it's stitched together with horrible writing. How many boring monologues do we need from all of these people? Talking about stuff that we've been over time and time again. Ugh.
I get that I really do, some people are going to find these episodes slow, boring and not like what's going on. But that doesn't change the fact that these episodes are very important and they have had moments that are going to be essential to future episodes and seasons.

And I do agree with you on that there doesn't need to be a damn speech every episode by a new character. Idk what they think there going to accomplish.

Tabris

Boring <> Filler.

I think that's the issue with people calling these episodes filler. They are essential set up episodes which are highlighting the group changing dynamic to Alexandria, the outside threats, and Morgans struggle with trying to maintain the person he became, who Rick was, with the person that he was, that Rick now is. It's all important.

You just find them boring, so call them that, but don't call them filler.

dustyherb

Rick blew his dad's head off and is gonna proceed to plow his mom. Meanwhile this kids girlfriend is gonna get plowed by the son of the guy who killed his dad

getting mega cucked at every turn
Lol when you lay it out like that I would be pretty fucking pissed as well.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Disappointed in AV Club. They've given every episode this season either an A or B. Like, really? They are way too nice to this show.

RangerX

Banned
Just got caught up and the last 3 episodes have really been utter dogshit. Yeah everyone knew that Glenn was alive but he really shouldn't be. Its complete bullshit that he survived that.What was the point of not showing that scene for so long. The writing in this show has deteriorated, not that it was ever amazing anyway, to junior infants primary school level. Everything is a monologue or unnatural dialogue. The structure of this season was awful too. I'm glad that building came down and hopefully at least half the cast get killed and people can get some decent screen time again. See you next week.

Just got caught up and the last 3 episodes have really been utter dogshit. Yeah everyone knew that Glenn was alive but he really shouldn't be. Its complete bullshit that he survived that.What was the point of not showing that scene for so long. The writing in this show has deteriorated, not that it was ever amazing anyway, to junior infants primary school level.

Preach.

And yeah, this show never wins tv acting/writing awards for a reason, and certainly won't if they keep this level of quality up.

I'm looking forward to some deaths next episode, you know deaths of Alexandrians who we've only seen once or twice. It's like Star Trek, you know when they have an away mission with one non-regular cast member - they gon' die!

I will never understand why people that consistently hate on the show week after week continue to watch it.

Must be an age thing i guess as i would spend my time doing something i might/do enjoy instead.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
The only problem I have with this show...how can they end it? Alexandria should have been the end goal and settling down...what else can they do to make it not seem like a repeat of what the show has already done. It's Season 6...with no end in sight.

I will never understand why people that consistently hate on the show week after week continue to watch it.

Must be an age thing i guess as i would spend my time doing something i might/do enjoy instead.

ok, just because I hate the current episodes doesn't mean I'm not a fan of the show.

People who don't like the direction of something but continue to watch are usually invested and care about the show, hence showing their displeasure.

why is this such a hard concept to grasp

dustyherb

The only problem I have with this show...how can they end it? Alexandria should have been the end goal and settling down...what else can they do to make it not seem like a repeat of what the show has already done. It's Season 6...with no end in sight.
There's a ton of material from the comics they still haven't covered not to mention by the time they catch up there will be even more. The show will end way before the comics but there's a whole lot of interesting and original story lines they can still do. Don't expect the show to end anytime soon, it's really just getting going if the writers play it right.

ok, just because I hate the current episodes doesn't mean I'm not a fan of the show.

People who don't like the direction of something but continue to watch are usually invested and care about the show, hence showing their displeasure.

why is this such a hard concept to grasp

I find it a little weird because the show has objectively gotten higher and higher quality as it has gone on. People truly forget the early days.

Anyway I'm still enjoying it. Good times. Midseason finale should be great chaossssss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom