• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 6, Part 2 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I mark my comic book spoiler talk just fine and I know other people have been as well. There's only people once in a while that don't seem to understand the rules to posting comic book material. Not all of us want to spoil and ruin the show for the rest of you guys.

Agreed. Also, as comic readers, I think that if we want to continue to post comic stuff in this thread, we should all be more proactive in reminding each other to keep things tagged and labeled, and not to hint about anything that might happen in the future. The hints might not be that big or spoilery, and all in good fun, but a lot of people genuinely would rather not know what to expect and I think that needs to be respected.

Maybe we could post this:

NHmLHjv.png

Graphic Novel: All comic-related discussion must be enclosed in spoiler tags. NO EXCEPTIONS! Please tag and label your posts, e.g. [Graphic Novel/Comic Spoilers]
[Insert graphic novel spoilers here]
. All discussion pertaining exclusively to the graphic novel belongs in The Walking Dead Comics Thread.

every 50 posts or so, to help keep the rules fresh in everyone's mind.

someday

Banned
I'm guessing most people hated that episode cause it was my favorite of the season. This is what a like about this show, just people living and surviving. I hate the huge constant fucked episodes.

Also I cant believe the Doctor girl is still around, I can't stand her. She feels like she won a walk on role during ComicCon and has just stuck around.
I'm pretty sure that Doctor girl is the only actor on this show that has won an Emmy. She's incredibly talented.

They said after finding the truck they would drive another route back to Alexandria and try to find more stuff on the way back.

Seemed to me they pulled over to the gas station because it is a likely place to find general supplies, not because Daryl spotted the toppled soda machine from the road.

I guess I missed them saying they'd try to find more stuff, but that just seems out of character for Rick. They had a big score with that truck and got greedy. Now they have some supernatural weirdo who keeps getting up in their business.

Daffy Duck

Anyone else a little confused by the picture of Carl at the start, so now they have the ability to print off pictures/develop them?

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I guess I missed them saying they'd try to find more stuff, but that just seems out of character for Rick. They had a big score with that truck and got greedy. Now they have some supernatural weirdo who keeps getting up in their business.

As soon as they said it I thought "that's a terrible idea".

Was out of character for Rick in general perhaps, but in keeping with his "today is our lucky day" vibe he had going on.

I think their behavior with the truck is actually very good writing, but maybe just without enough set-up, or the problem of having what should have been the mid-season finale as the opener instead. We need to see how chill they've gotten. They have so many mega badasses, more than their comic counterparts, even, and everyone helped put down those zombies. They are fed. Clean. Happy. Joking. They are even more comfortable, I think, than they were at the prison. They've grown a little complacent. And we need to see that before shit gets real with whatever the season is about to bring.

Rich and Michonne is probably the first romantic relationship I've ever actually cared about on this show, and it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that it would eventually happen, so finally.

You would think years after a zombie outbreak they wouldn't be wasting juice on baby monitors and cameras watching Judith.

I think you underestimate the amount of normalcy people might crave. Much of this episode was about that. Buddy time, toothpaste (which is nice but not necessary; there are other solutions), comfort, family, luxuries (like soda). Sitting on a couch with a baby monitor is such a ridiculously mundane thing that after years of running around panicked, those little comforts in Alexandria must be heavenly.

But that's just my read on it.

MisterR

What would be the point of the writers letting us know that they've been sharing toothpaste for 2 weeks, seconds after we're introduced to a major time skip? If that was their only intention, that's just confusing writing.

So you really don't feel like Rick and Michonne's interactions were vastly different from what we've seen before (in this episode)? And using a time skip as leverage to excuse away the sudden change in their interactions is just lazy writing, IMO. I'm not saying it's a big stretch for two people (in this context) to eventually be together, in writing, just that the execution of their transition from friendship to romance was poorly, poorly handled and felt forced and out of place. I think it's easier to ignore if it was something you really wanted, and since so many fans DID want it, the writers strung it together. And that's exactly what it felt like.

I get a lot of people like it, and that's fine, but you're fooling yourself if you think there cannot be criticism on how this transition was handled.

It feels like you just really want to find something to criticize about it. There was nothing really forced about it. They've been growing close for a long time, they are two attractive, healthy adults of the opposite sex living together who already have a long established bond. It's a natural result.

MisterR

How do people manage to do this?

If you're going to to watch a tv show, at least pay attention to it.

One of the things I find amusing in all the Walking Dead threads on Neogaf, is that there are almost always a bunch of people who make huge posts complaining about plot holes and it turns out they either didn't see or understand what was actually going on in the episode.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
RIP Michonne. Gonna use her to send Rick further into the darkness ooooh.

Hmm, just turning that around a bit...
"RIP Rick. Gonna use him to send Michonne further into the darkness ooooh."
That would make for an interesting season.

One of the things I find amusing in all the Walking Dead threads on Neogaf, is that there are almost always a bunch of people who make huge posts complaining about plot holes and it turns out they either didn't see or understand what was actually going on in the episode.

Also, I feel like of all the threads on many forums that I've followed, TWD is up there in terms of nitpicking. Holy moly.

dustyherb

Add to that all the people who constantly use the term filler incorrectly. Using it to describe everything they don't enjoy which seems to be every episode lol.

As soon as they said it I thought "that's a terrible idea".

Was out of character for Rick in general perhaps, but in keeping with his "today is our lucky day" vibe he had going on.

Rick seems to swing widly between "trust nothing" and "hey it's all good", and Daryl seems to swing in polar opposite of him. You would think after all the times they've gotten screwed by letting their guard down, he would not take chances.

It seems like they wanted to make this episode about painting Daryl as Rick's buddy replacement for Shane. It reminded me a bit of the very first episode, with Rick and Shane joking around. So for me this episode is not just about showing the progression of Rick and Michonne's relationship, but also Rick and Daryl's friendship.

But they're still idiots for stopping at that gas station.

But the thing is, you can't keep your guard up all the time. You can't. Not if you want to live any semblance of a normal life. You can't be that paranoid and anxious and in a constant state of readiness.

bitbydeath

Rick seems to swing widly between "trust nothing" and "hey it's all good", and Daryl seems to swing in polar opposite of him. You would think after all the times they've gotten screwed by letting their guard down, he would not take chances.

They talked about that though, they have to keep taking chances in order to expand their community which will lead to a greater chance of survival.

Just watched the first two episodes.

1. The start of ep 1 was exciting, with it looking like Sasha or the burly mustached guy were gonna get killed. I like both characters, but I like it even more when shows arent afraid to off seasoned characters. And then, a bolt of lightning from heaven strikes (in the form of Daryl with his RPG) and saves the day :/ disappointing. Seeing those bikers explode was undeniably cool though.
2. SUPER disappointed to see Ricks hot blonde girlfriend get killed by the zombie horde. I really liked her. And then having to hack her hand of with an axe? Traumatizing.
3. FINALLY, Glenn is going to get the death he should have gotten in the first half of the season! Nope. Another bolt of heavenly lightning to the rescue. This time, with Sasha and mr mustache unloading their AR's on the attacking horde, with seconds to spare (of course). Even more disappointing.
4. Carl takes a headshot, but survives. Can any of the main characters die these days?
5. This Jesus guy looks like fun. Kooky and capable.

DedValve

Banned
This was a FANTASTIC episode. Great chemistry all around for all of Ricks interactions.

And Jesus Christ approves of Rick and Michonne. I was going to say he should be the one to wed them but

A) We still have the priest
B) Only the best friend who gets a certificate overnight can wed the groom, according to traditional TV laws

But the thing is, you can't keep your guard up all the time. You can't. Not if you want to live any semblance of a normal life. You can't be that paranoid and anxious and in a constant state of readiness.

Definitely not "all the time" but at the right time.

If you have a shitload of supplies in a big conspicuous slow moving vehicle, you should probably keep your guard up at that point. I mean look at what happened with the propane truck they were driving at the start of last weeks episode. (Maybe Daryl should have brought the rocket launcher with him this week too).

Also, I feel like of all the threads on many forums that I've followed, TWD is up there in terms of nitpicking. Holy moly.
it's a combination of the fact that it's such a popular show but also because zombie apocolypse is something so many people have imagined in their heads that they all think they're goddamne experts and would do better in every situation lol.

Also I love the fact that Rick and Daryl can both be similar but also be polar opposites in their ways of thinking. Those 2 are true brothers. Been around from the start. They might have the best understanding and respect of one another compared to any other 2 characters on the show.

Never 4get when Carol hated rick and was saying he was a bad leader and has no honour and our boy daryl was all "rick HAS honour".

it's a combination of the fact that it's such a popular show but also because zombie apocolypse is something so many people have imagined in their heads that they all think they're goddamne experts and would do better in every situation lol.

Also I love the fact that Rick and Daryl can both be similar but also be polar opposites in their ways of thinking. Those 2 are true brothers. Been around from the start. They might have the best understanding and respect of one another compared to any other 2 characters on the show.

Never 4get when Carol hated rick and was saying he was a bad leader and has no honour and our boy daryl was all "rick HAS honour".

The Rick/Daryl relationship is one of the better ones, but I still think Michonne/Carl has been handled the best.

dustyherb

Here's an article talking about what they are trying to do with Negan's language. Some spoilers about when he will show up. So don't read if you don't want to know.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/2...g?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

Gimple, "But I will say that my goal is for, at the very least, in some way — might not be all the time, and it might not even be directly through your TV box — that people will be able to get full-octane Negan. I’m still playing around with it, but I will say I do have the material two ways right now. I’ll see what I can do with it. One way or another I want people to see full-octane Negan".

Kirkman, "So those words are going to be filmed, and people are going to be able to get those words, but there are definitely some broadcast limitations that we’re going to have to deal with. We’re sorting that out now, but I will say that, worst-case scenario, the extras will be extra-special on Blu-ray."

Sounds like either way we are going to get foul mouthed Negan even if it's only on Blu-ray. Im just glad to hear they are trying to figure it out even if it's only sometimes he gets to act that way.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Here's an article talking about what they are trying to do with Negan's language. Some spoilers about when he will show up. So don't read if you don't want to know.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/2...g?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

Gimple, "But I will say that my goal is for, at the very least, in some way — might not be all the time, and it might not even be directly through your TV box — that people will be able to get full-octane Negan. I’m still playing around with it, but I will say I do have the material two ways right now. I’ll see what I can do with it. One way or another I want people to see full-octane Negan".

Kirkman, "So those words are going to be filmed, and people are going to be able to get those words, but there are definitely some broadcast limitations that we’re going to have to deal with. We’re sorting that out now, but I will say that, worst-case scenario, the extras will be extra-special on Blu-ray."

Sounds like either way we are going to get foul mouthed Negan even if it's only on Blu-ray. Im just glad to hear they are trying to figure it out even if it's only sometimes he gets to act that way.

Fantastic news! :D

bitbydeath

Still find it ludicrous that violence is way more accepted in the US over swearing and nudity.

Just seems completely backwards to me.

AMC willing to give the okay on suicidal, cannibal and sexual assault themes. Blood and very graphic gore. But saying Fuck is such a big hurdle.

Still find it ludicrous that violence is way more accepted in the US over swearing and nudity.

Just seems completely backwards to me.

Yeah. Being from the UK I'll never understand why America is okay with showing excessive violence but the slightest mention of an f bomb and you are basically done for.

Almost certainly alone on this...

...but I really do not like Daryl, or more accurately I despise the obvious bias the writers have for him. A bias that has been clear as day since S3 that tends to take away from other characters. It doesn't help that Daryl's arc has literally been on repeat for three seasons.

Thankfully, they're handling Carol a bit better now and not forcing her into every storyline. I was worried she was just going to become Daryl's wonder woman with her two super hero episodes dedicated to her.

Surfinn

...but I really do not like Daryl, or more accurately I despise the obvious bias the writers have for him. A bias that has been clear as day since S3 that tends to take away from other characters. It doesn't help that Daryl's arc has literally been on repeat for three seasons.

Thankfully, they're handling Carol a bit better now and not forcing her into every storyline. I was worried she was just going to become Daryl's wonder woman with her two super hero episodes dedicated to her.

I do agree his character development has been pretty much on standstill. Love him, always will, but he needs some serious direction as we move forward.

But.. you don't like Daryl? That's honestly the first I've heard of it. That's pretty much the equivalent of not liking Rick or Andrea from the comic, for me.

-griffy-

Banned
With FX getting brave and dropping un-censored "fucks" in back to back episodes of People vs. OJ (albeit in a timeslot 1 hour later), I wonder if AMC will follow suit and let Negan drop a couple on Walking Dead without dropping the audio.

dustyherb

Nah your definitely not alone. Over the past few years I've seen Daryl get a huge following of people who just don't like him at all. Precisely because of what you said he keeps taking away big moments from other characters but still is somehow not grown as a character since season 3. The most recent example of him using the rpg on Negan's men when it should've been Abraham

I personally love Daryl but that's just because he's been my favorite character since season 1. But I do agree they really need to either figure out what to do with him. I know Gimple and Norman have talked about it in detail. Or just kill him off at this point if they don't know where to go with his arc.

I am some theories on what they could do with his character but it wouldn't be even for around 2 more seasons before they could do it. So I'm interested to see if he dies sometime soon or if he doesn't what they do with him throughout the next few seasons.

Here's my theory on what they could do

Major comic/ most recent comic spoilers
it seems like they are building up Daryl to have major conflict with the saviors with him encountering Dwight and blowing up their little motorcycle group. So if Daryl ends up surviving Lucille I could see them directing his character towards what Dwight is currently doing in the comic.

That would require Dwight to die unlike his comic counterpart but after all out war you could have Daryl trying to lead the saviors like Dwight did. And then just like Dwight can't handle it anymore and leaves sanctuary, Daryl could do the same. And Rick being worn out from the war makes Daryl in charge of the army just like in the most recent issue when he make Dwight in charge.

Mascot

Binge-watched all the available S6 episodes over the past couple of days and it reminded me how boring and uneventful TWD can be when viewed this way. I'l enjoy it a lot more from now on in weekly chunks, I think.

Surfinn

Binge-watched all the available S6 episodes over the past couple of days and it reminded me how boring and uneventful TWD can be when viewed this way. I'l enjoy it a lot more from now on in weekly chunks, I think.

I actually think the opposite. Much harder to watch week to week as nothing happens (even from a non-action point of view). Experienced this with S2; hated it week to week, loved it back to back.

But I agree. TWD (show only) has largely been plagued with unevenful, uninspired, dull dialogue with absolutely fantastic bullet points hit as planned. It's a strange variance of quality.

S1 and 2 were the most consistent as a sum of their parts, I think (still not devoid of problems), but these issues seem increasingly apparent after that.

Daryl's character seems to yo-yo the opposite of Rick all the time. And since he has gotten far less screen time than Rick this season, it seems a bit off now.

Like he's supposed to be much less trusting of strangers now because of how he got screwed over by those people who were running off with the diabetes girl. But after that episode he's been a bit of a background character until last week.

And that's basically been his only storyline. I'm sure I'm missing some cycles in here but like he's basically on repeat:

Mopey loner --> Carol helps him be a softy again --> Prison dies --> Mopey loner --> Beth helps him be a softy again --> Beth dies --> Mopey loner --> Aaron helps him be a softy again --> Crossbow dies --> Mopey loner --> Rick helps him be a softy again.

-griffy-

Banned
Daryl's character seems to yo-yo the opposite of Rick all the time. And since he has gotten far less screen time than Rick this season, it seems a bit off now.

Like he's supposed to be much less trusting of strangers now because of how he got screwed over by those people who were running off with the diabetes girl. But after that episode he's been a bit of a background character until last week.

And that's basically been his only storyline. I'm sure I'm missing some cycles in here but like he's basically on repeat:

Mopey loner --> Carol helps him be a softy again --> Prison dies --> Mopey loner --> Beth helps him be a softy again --> Beth dies --> Mopey loner --> Aaron helps him be a softy again --> Crossbow dies --> Mopey loner --> Rick helps him be a softy again.

Let's not discount the multiple episodes he spent riding his motorcycle slowly in front of Abraham and Sasha's car, who were driving slowly in front of the slow walking herd. A lot of development there for him.
parade-1445004360.gif

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Thought it was a great episode. Do not trust Jesus one bit. Saw the Doctor and Tara hookup coming from a while's off. Michonne and Rick needed to happen.

But.. you don't like Daryl? That's honestly the first I've heard of it. That's pretty much the equivalent of not liking Rick or Andrea from the comic, for me.

He comes off as a super hero too often for my liking. It hasn't been that bad this season [besides EP9] which I'd attribute to his screen-time but for the longest time [in comparison to other main characters] he came off as some guy that's almost never in the wrong. Some people may like that, think he's "badass" - I don't like it.

It doesn't help that Normans performance for quite a while now has been mumbles and grunts.

I really do agree with this, especially about Daryl's arc being just continually repeated. I can appreciate his character development from the first couple of seasons, but the forcing-Daryl-into-every-storyline trend doesn't do the plot of the show any favours, let alone the rest of the supporting cast. Poor Tyreese, Abraham and Glenn. Poor Eric, too, who received the gift of a broken ankle and lost his job as recruiter so Daryl could go through another circular arc. I don't think Eric has had a line of dialogue all season! (Which is a shame, as he and Aaron are really funny together in the comics.) I know the comics aren't perfect with cast balancing either, but it's the Rick and Carl show plus the supporting cast, so screen time is a bit more evenly spread out. Well, outside of Father Gabriel!

Hilariously, I'd been rewatching the series from the beginning a few months ago, and had completely forgotten that Daryl used to to eloquently speak complete sentences without mumbling. He also had neater hair, which was nice. I think he bathed more, too. How do you regress on the bathing front, especially in Alexandria?

Urgh, yep.

Surfinn

He comes off as a super hero too often for my liking. It hasn't been that bad this season [besides EP9] which I'd attribute to his screen-time but for the longest time [in comparison to other main characters] he came off as some guy that's almost never in the wrong. Some people may like that, think he's "badass" - I don't like it.

It doesn't help that Normans performance for quite a while now has been mumbles and grunts.
There's nothing wrong with his performance (the problem is the writing), but I can agree with this criticism, except the super hero part. He's just been stuck in routine and hasn't had to do anything but be the good guy lately.

I really do agree with this, especially about Daryl's arc being just continually repeated. I can appreciate his character development from the first couple of seasons, but the forcing-Daryl-into-every-storyline trend doesn't do the plot of the show any favours, let alone the rest of the supporting cast. Poor Tyreese, Abraham and Glenn. Poor Eric, too, who received the gift of a broken ankle and lost his job as recruiter so Daryl could go through another circular arc. I don't think Eric has had a line of dialogue all season! (Which is a shame, as he and Aaron are really funny together in the comics.) I know the comics aren't perfect with cast balancing either, but it's the Rick and Carl show plus the supporting cast, so screen time is a bit more evenly spread out. Well, outside of Father Gabriel!

Hilariously, I'd been rewatching the series from the beginning a few months ago, and had completely forgotten that Daryl used to to eloquently speak complete sentences without mumbling. He also had neater hair, which was nice. I think he bathed more, too. How do you regress on the bathing front, especially in Alexandria?

It also doesn't help that Daryl appears to occupy a lot of the important roles in the comic.

Besides having his own tracker/hunter roles, he's also the right hand man which was Abraham/Tyreese in the comic.

He's Rick's "brother" which was Glenn in the comic.

He's the deuteragonist, which is Carl in the comic.

etc...

What the hell is AMC's problem? They're not a network. Why all the restrictions on cuss words? Same for FX.

Money. Keeping those sponsors bringing in that money happy.

Even though I think sponsors would bring in the money regardless if there's cussing because the ratings are so good.

Paganmoon

About freaking time Michone and Rick got it on, the story arc with that blonde mom never made any sense.

And that guy, he's literally Jesus or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom