• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 6, Part 2 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm actually shocked some people thought the episode was shit. I mean this is a show that has had some really boring stinkers in the past. I think this episode was genuinely funny and provided a much-needed breather after last week's intensity. There was character development, some humorous shenanigans and the introduction of an awesome new guy. I guess shitting on the show has become second nature for some people.

Symphonia

Banned
Me too.

Also why can't they drain the lake. I'm sure it wouldn't be super hard... Totally worth it for the supplies though. Or just get like another truck and have someone snorkel to the towbar to hook a cable on haha.
I'm pretty sure the truck going in the lake isn't the problem, but the fact that all the food - or a good part of it - will be spoiled by being submerged. The foods gone, just let it go. It sucks, sure, but R&D were foolish to not take it back to Alexandria from the get go.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
I'm pretty sure the truck going in the lake isn't the problem, but the fact that all the food - or a good part of it - will be spoiled by being submerged. The foods gone, just let it go. It sucks, sure, but R&D were foolish to not take it back to Alexandria from the get go.

I guess.

jett

D-Member
That was a nice little ep, although Ricky and Daryl were acting pretty stupid even by TWD standards lol. Love the hook up, was hoping for it haha.

tumblr_ndbfa1ncg91qdpinno1_500.gif

Well she looks unrecognizable.

Will be interesting to see if they expand the show next season, as they have got a lot of things they can introduce with this storyline,
like Hilltop and The Kingdom
, on top of Negan and the Saviors. Unless they are going to change it from the comic
and merge Hilltop and The Kingdom into one or cut one out altogether,
to make it easier for the show.

It would definitely shake up the show, if they had
Hilltop and The Kingdom
though. New locations and more main characters from the comic would make it feel like there are more interesting people in the world, not just Rick and his crew.

At least the last episode was actually funny, the show could do with a little more humour once in a while, to break it up a little, between all the death and fighting.

SamuraiX-

NHmLHjv.png

Graphic Novel: All comic-related discussion must be enclosed in spoiler tags. NO EXCEPTIONS! Please tag and label your posts, e.g. [Graphic Novel/Comic Spoilers]
[Insert graphic novel spoilers here]
. All discussion pertaining exclusively to the graphic novel belongs in The Walking Dead Comics Thread.

Comic book readers really are assholes. It's about time you people got your own thread.
Yeah, people are a lot worse here than the usual tv GoT threads that I`ve been into to be honest. Over there, generally spoilers come only when someone is purposely spoiling it. Here, you would think for comic book readers that reading must really difficult for them considering how loosely they drop hints and spoilers without the tags.

yes, FINALLYY, richonne

valentine-charlie-brown.jpg

I've been waiting two fucking seasons for this. As for the rest of the episode,

the jesus mothafucker was annoying me. i kinda know who he is though so I just need his arc to play out more.

also that conversation carl was having with michonne "i'd do it for you" was super ridiculous and stupid to me. zombies are zombies, it does not matter who puts them down. whoever it was when it was alive, their soul and body are separated.

i like both carl and michonne's characters and their actors but I feel like it's not always that good.

overall though, I liked this episode. it's like the conversation I was having with someone earlier in this thread (or the older walking dead thread) every slow episode doesn't equate to filler. not that filler is always the most horrible thing either. but anyways, good episode

ultron87

I expect that the zombie slaughter last episode was the big blow-off for zombies being any kind of actual threat to them. Makes sense to have that general threat go out with the biggest group they'd ever encountered. Zombies can't really conceivably be a overall threat anymore since they've shown that they can stand in a circle and fight off a near infinite number of them. The title of this episode suggests similarly.

also that conversation carl was having with michonne "i'd do it for you" was super ridiculous and stupid to me. zombies are zombies, it does not matter who puts them down. whoever it was when it was alive, their soul and body are separated.
Idk, it's something that has popped up throughout the series. Michonne killing Andrea, Carl killing Lori, etc.

And one theme throughout zombie fiction is that struggle of having to deal with it when it's your loved one that you have to kill. It's easy to say that when it's just another undead monster; it's a lot tougher when it's the face of someone you loved, no matter how hardened you are

Tigress

That's one of three big things that bugged me about this season so far. The first and major one is
Carl should not be alive
. The way they did it it is very obvious they gave him character armor as that is the only excuse at all for him being alive. They've made it very clear that if you get bitten the only way to stop infection is by amputating the limb it is on. And if it is not on something you can cut off, you are dead.
And yet he gets bit on the head, eye out and everything. And just some cleaning up by a very amature doctor and sewn up and he's fine minus an eye
. They either should have written something different happening to him or he should be dead!

And then as soon as Rick and Daryl decide to take a new way home, I was immediately like, that is the stupidest idea ever. Here you have some really good supplies and you are taking them home in a not so agile vehicle. Take the way you know is clear already. Oh wait, this was just an excuse to add something happening to the show (way too obvious).

But then, I've never had much respect for the writing for this show. Honestly I think I like it for the idea of seeing how different people react after the apocalypse (the whole they keep meeting different scenarios). It's got a great premises which carries it through the crappy writing.

Oh, third is
Michonne and Rick felt so tacked on. It was like, where did that come from? They've done no building up to it, just all the sudden cause she's female and he's male and they work together a lot they're together.
It hits my pet peeve of hollywood insisting that if it is a main male and female character, they must be interested in each other. Oh, and that there always must be some one a main character is interested in.

Pilgrimzero

That's one of three big things that bugged me about this season so far. The first and major one is
Carl should not be alive
. The way they did it it is very obvious they gave him character armor as that is the only excuse at all for him being alive. They've made it very clear that if you get bitten the only way to stop infection is by amputating the limb it is on. And if it is not on something you can cut off, you are dead.
And yet he gets bit on the head, eye out and everything. And just some cleaning up by a very amature doctor and sewn up and he's fine minus an eye
. They either should have written something different happening to him or he should be dead!

And then as soon as Rick and Daryl decide to take a new way home, I was immediately like, that is the stupidest idea ever. Here you have some really good supplies and you are taking them home in a not so agile vehicle. Take the way you know is clear already. Oh wait, this was just an excuse to add something happening to the show (way too obvious).

But then, I've never had much respect for the writing for this show. Honestly I think I like it for the idea of seeing how different people react after the apocalypse (the whole they keep meeting different scenarios). It's got a great premises which carries it through the crappy writing.

Oh, third is
Michonne and Rick felt so tacked on. It was like, where did that come from? They've done no building up to it, just all the sudden cause she's female and he's male and they work together a lot they're together.
It hits my pet peeve of hollywood insisting that if it is a main male and female character, they must be interested in each other. Oh, and that there always must be some one a main character is interested in.

He was shot, not bit.

web01

The writing in this episode was ridiculous it was bordering on something from a slapstick comedy in some parts.

Take a new way home after securing a ton of supplies.
Leave the other car behind when you could drive one each as extra security.

They tied up the guy and drove away. And now he is on the roof!!!!
How would they not check in the mirrors as they drove away.
Then Daryl playing chasey with him in the field... just add the Benny Hill music and we are set.
These characters suddenly became complete idiots.

Idk, it's something that has popped up throughout the series. Michonne killing Andrea, Carl killing Lori, etc.

And one theme throughout zombie fiction is that struggle of having to deal with it when it's your loved one that you have to kill. It's easy to say that when it's just another undead monster; it's a lot tougher when it's the face of someone you loved, no matter how hardened you are
yeah, that is a valid point to keep in mind. i guess just when we were watching it seemed so silly. and i know it's cool to just hate on carl & his acting ability - i like the character and the actor, I just don't think the portrayal's that great but that's okay. not every single person has to be a top notch actor. as long as they contribute to engage you in the story

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
How on earth could someone watch that scene and not immediately understand that carl was shot?

JesseZao

One episode was great. One had a lot of dumb stuff in it. To suspend disbelief, you basically had to think Rick and Daryl decided to turn into morons for a episode.

You can always pick at things. I didn't think it was a good idea to not check out the truck more thoroughly since booby trapped supply trucks were an issue previously.

You can always pick at things. I didn't think it was a good idea to not check out the truck more thoroughly since booby trapped supply trucks were an issue previously.
That's exactly what I was thinking! Although I think at the very least, they should just check to make sure there aren't visible wires first.

And I think people are being a bit too harsh. These episode was meant to be palette cleanser and establishing a new status quo. Where they can take some risks because life has been so peaceful and calm for them.

And again the reason they took a different route with the truck because Daryl was hoping to help out Denise. It wasn't just for no reason.

But I agree. Leaving the car behind was silly. Although I saw it more as them being cautious because the last time the group decided to split up, chaos ensued and people died.

Carl should not be alive

What are you smoking?

Alpende

Even though the episode was silly I really enjoyed it. Nice change of pace from the usual grim and dark vibe.

The moment Daryll tried to catch Jesus was so out of place it was hilarious. Really glad they introduced Jesus the way they did, they showed how fights and what he can do. Good stuff.

Sapiens

Carl should not be alive

Oh, third is

It was established that if bite rips off a big chunk of your face, then you should be fine. This was in episode 2.7.

Carl should not be alive

Oh, third is

Hahahah oh man if you are going to hate watch at least pay attention.

K' Dash

Carl should not be alive

Oh, third is

Please be joking...

Faiz

As much as I hate to admit it, I agree with a lot of this criticism.

I'm also going to throw my two cents in and say that the Michonne/Rick connection was the most horrendously forced romance I've ever seen. We skip ahead two weeks and all the sudden they're playing house and asking how their days went? There was almost no indication at ALL they had any romantic chemistry until this episode. Felt like I was watching a brother and sister kiss (I love both characters but.. wow).. very, VERY unnecessarily forced romance. Extremely disappointed.

Ok. My wife and I were more like, "well it's about fucking time".

/shrug.

Comic book readers really are assholes. It's about time you people got your own thread.
Should really just get rid of any comic-book discussion for the Season 7 OT since people aren't bothering to mark comic talk and it really doesn't add anything to the show discussion.

near

Gold Member
I quite liked this episode. It's running themes reflected what seems to be the character of Jesus, and he's introduction was great. I actually have no complaints with this episode, everything made sense with the right sensibilities. I had a feeling after meeting Jesus that the supplies were always going to be a MacGuffin of some sort, and that he's character's nature was best expressed using this plot device, and it worked well. He ended up stealing the truck, losing the truck, being on top of the truck, being chased down with the truck, and knocked out with the truck, and once it served it's purpose the truck was at the bottom of the lake. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of him, and the tone he's character influences on each episode.

Rick x Michonne was cute. I liked that the episode started with her in a robe and head towel speaking to Rick, it immediately made me think 'wow she's really comfortable around the Grimes'. I also remembered how quick she was to stick her sword into the back of Ron without hesitation when he aimed he's gun at Rick last episode, she showed a lot of loyalty. They did well building up to this arc in the story, building each scene up in terms of the relationship Michonne had with Carl and Rick.

All in all an excellent episode, well directed and cut.

As much as I hate to admit it, I agree with a lot of this criticism.

I'm also going to throw my two cents in and say that the Michonne/Rick connection was the most horrendously forced romance I've ever seen. We skip ahead two weeks and all the sudden they're playing house and asking how their days went? There was almost no indication at ALL they had any romantic chemistry until this episode. Felt like I was watching a brother and sister kiss (I love both characters but.. wow).. very, VERY unnecessarily forced romance. Extremely disappointed.
I don't agree with it being forced at all. If anything it was developing in a dormant way throughout the last few seasons.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Carl should not be alive
He was bit? I'll have to watch that part again, because I swore he tore out his own eye, as he was taking the Bible literally and his wandering eye had caused him to sin. Then everyone was saying he was in shock, but in a weird accent so it sounded like shot.

This is the main reason why I just read about the show instead of watching it. Too many characters making stupid choices just to build some tension and forcing the odds to be against them. It's just shit writing. I mean, the world is already fucked, everybody that dies turns into a zombie and there are very few survivors left. There's no need to have your characters have a "become stupid" on/off switch to be activated just for the sake of it. I would imagine whoever has survived six seasons of zombie outbreaks would be pretty smart/capable, and the characters and writing should reflect that.

PaulBizkit

Should really just get rid of any comic-book discussion for the Season 7 OT since people aren't bothering to mark comic talk and it really doesn't add anything to the show discussion.

It's like everybody's talking about last night's episode and all of a sudden... HEY, I KNOW WHAT HAPPENS TO X WHEN HE MEETS NEGAN.

I liked this episode a lot because it showed us how a "typical" day at Alexandria is like. They shower, they look for stuff, they have music cds lying around, carl changes his bandages regularly. My dad always knew michonne and rick would end up together and said something like "well, about time!".

It's hard to make characters subtle when it comes to show interest in another character. It's like, one camera shot of her looking at him smiling and that's it, everybody knows what will happen.

dustyherb

I mark my comic book spoiler talk just fine and I know other people have been as well. There's only people once in a while that don't seem to understand the rules to posting comic book material. Not all of us want to spoil and ruin the show for the rest of you guys.

Cappa

Banned
Carl should not be alive

Oh, third is
I really hope this is a joke post because there is absolutely no way you can be serious

MajorMane

Weird, just watched the episode and Rick clearly says "2 weeks" to Michonne in the very beginning. Why would these interviews contradict the show?

He says that "someone's been borrowing [my toothpaste] for two weeks" inferring that she's been staying over for two weeks, not necessarily that it's been two weeks since the last episode.

dustyherb

Weird, just watched the episode and Rick clearly says "2 weeks" to Michonne in the very beginning. Why would these interviews contradict the show?
Michonne asks Rick, "do you have any toothpaste left."
Rick responds by saying "No, cause someone's been borrowing it everyday for two weeks."

I think all its establishing is that it's been at the very least two weeks. It's not saying it's been two weeks since the killing of the herd. With Danai Gurira on talking dead saying two months I'm just going to go with that for total amount of time.

Surfinn

He says that "someone's been borrowing [my toothpaste] for two weeks" inferring that she's been staying over for two weeks, not necessarily that it's been two weeks since the last episode.

Michonne asks Rick, "do you have any toothpaste left."
Rick responds by saying "No, cause someone's been borrowing it everyday for two weeks."

I think all its establishing is that it's been at the very least two weeks. It's not saying it's been two weeks since the killing of the herd. With Danai Gurira on talking dead saying two months I'm just going to go with that for total amount of time.

I agree that it doesn't mean it's ONLY been two weeks for sure, but why would this be some of the first dialogue we hear in the opening scene after an episode that does an obvious time jump?

Seems like there would be no other reason for Rick to include this bit of information; wouldn't it be a strange coincidence that Rick just happens to mention how much time has passed in any context, right after we time jump?

That's some bizarre writing if it really has been 2 months. Who wouldn't assume it hasn't been specifically two weeks unless they searched outside of the information provided in the show itself?

Amikami

Banned

Yep. Rick was referring to the toothpaste when he said two weeks. Michonne's actually been staying in that house since they arrived at Alexandria. Remember there were two and that's how the group divided. Not sure who else is staying with them. I thought Carol was.

It's not like Rick and Michonne had an actual arc where they went from not liking each over to now trusting with their lives.

It's not like there's been scenes throughout the series that could hint of something more then them just being "friends"

It's not like the crew in terms of writing have developed an arguably even stronger relationship between Michonne and Rick's son.

Rick/Michonne being forced? I mean yeah, I can agree with that.

Surfinn

Yep. Rick was referring to the toothpaste when he said two weeks. Michonne's actually been staying in that house since they arrived at Alexandria. Remember there were two and that's how the group divided. Not sure who else is staying with them. I thought Carol was.

Right, but see my post above. Why include this information in the beginning of the episode, RIGHT after a time jump? That's confusing and doesn't serve any purpose if it's not referring to how much time has passed since Ep. 9.

It's not like Rick and Michonne had an actual arc where they went from not liking each over to now trusting with their lives.

It's not like there's been scenes throughout the series that could hint of something more then them just being "friends"

It's not like the crew in terms of writing have developed an arguably even stronger relationship between Michonne and Rick's son.

As stated in my other post on the last page, they were building toward a FAMILY connection and there was never any real hint of a romantic one, until this episode where it's rammed down our throats (cue Rubio clip).

How hard is it to understand?

It's been 2 months since No Way Out.
And 2 weeks since Michonne moved into Rick's house.

EDIT: I mean 2 weeks since she stole Rick's toothpaste.

That line contradicts nothing.

Hell, last week, she was the first one out the door to help him, after a quick kiss on Carl's forehead before running out.

Surfinn

How hard is it to understand?

It's been 2 months since No Way Out.
And 2 weeks since Michonne moved into Rick's house.

That line contradicts nothing.

She hasn't been living there since they arrived at Alexandria?

Hell, last week, she was the first one out the door to help him, after a quick kiss on Carl's forehead before running out.

Again, this reflects her connection with Carl as a mother figure and her devotion to Rick. If Daryl were there, he would have been right next to Rick, so I don't think that enhances any romantic connection they have.

Oh, third is
It didn't feel tacked on at all, it's been bubbling for what seems like a couple of seasons.

I'm a big critic of this show even though I keep watching it, but this was one of the best episodes in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom