• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 6, Part 2 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amikami

Banned
How hard is it to understand?

It's been 2 months since No Way Out.
And 2 weeks since Michonne moved into Rick's house.

That line contradicts nothing.

No. It's been 2 months since No Way Out.
2 weeks sense Michonne started stealing Rick's toothpaste. She's been living there since coming to Alexandria. There's a limited number of houses. Deanna gave the group two and they divided themselves between them.

Right, but see my post above. Why include this information in the beginning of the episode, RIGHT after a time jump? That's confusing and doesn't serve any purpose if it's not referring to how much time has passed since Ep. 9.

As stated in my other post on the last page, they were building toward a FAMILY connection and there was never any real hint of a romantic one, until this episode where it's rammed down our throats (cue Rubio clip).
I mean, a family relationship where Michonne cares about Carl like a son. I don't get how people see this is some huge left turn. Michonne and Rick have been growing closer and closer for multiple seasons.

In simpler terms:

People meet
They become friends
Friends become close through trials and tribulations
Friends begin living with eachother, including caring for the guy's kid like a son
Friends grow even closer and more comfortable with eachother because of those relationships and living together

It's not a big stretch at all. That's just how relationships develop. Like if you knew a man and woman who were close friends and started living together for months, I bet you'd probably be curious if and when they take it further than just friends living together

I'm fine if Michonne dies, I just don't want her to die before Glenn.

Michonne's the first woman Rick's been with that's a proven, battle-tested warrior. I think out of all the partners he's had, she's the one most likely to actually stay alive for a long time to come.

If they still kill her off anyway, I'm gonna be pissed. She's saved other people so many times on the show, I have to wonder how they would even survive without her.

Surfinn

No. It's been 2 months since No Way Out.
2 weeks sense Michonne started stealing Rick's toothpaste. She's been living there since coming to Alexandria. There's a limited number of houses. Deanna gave the group two and they divided themselves between them.

What would be the point of the writers letting us know that they've been sharing toothpaste for 2 weeks, seconds after we're introduced to a major time skip? If that was their only intention, that's just confusing writing.

I mean, a family relationship where Michonne cares about Carl like a son. I don't get how people see this is some huge left turn. Michonne and Rick have been growing closer and closer for multiple seasons.

In simpler terms:

People meet
They become friends
Friends begin living with eachother, including caring for the guy's kid like a son
Friends grow even closer and more comfortable with eachother because of those relationships and living together

It's not a big stretch at all. That's just how relationships develop.

So you really don't feel like Rick and Michonne's interactions were vastly different from what we've seen before (in this episode)? And using a time skip as leverage to excuse away the sudden change in their interactions is just lazy writing, IMO. I'm not saying it's a big stretch for two people (in this context) to eventually be together, in writing, just that the execution of their transition from friendship to romance was poorly, poorly handled and felt forced and out of place. I think it's easier to ignore if it was something you really wanted, and since so many fans DID want it, the writers strung it together. And that's exactly what it felt like.

I get a lot of people like it, and that's fine, but you're fooling yourself if you think there cannot be criticism on how this transition was handled.

Skab

That's one of three big things that bugged me about this season so far. The first and major one is
Carl should not be alive
. The way they did it it is very obvious they gave him character armor as that is the only excuse at all for him being alive. They've made it very clear that if you get bitten the only way to stop infection is by amputating the limb it is on. And if it is not on something you can cut off, you are dead.
And yet he gets bit on the head, eye out and everything. And just some cleaning up by a very amature doctor and sewn up and he's fine minus an eye
. They either should have written something different happening to him or he should be dead!

How do people manage to do this?

If you're going to to watch a tv show, at least pay attention to it.

Michonne's the first woman Rick's been with that's a proven, battle-tested warrior. I think out of all the partners he's had, she's the one most likely to actually stay alive for a long time to come.

If they still kill her off anyway, I'm gonna be pissed. She's saved other people so many times on the show, I have to wonder how they would even survive without her.
I agree with this and i hope she doesn't go. But if she does i think it's going to be someone on negans level that does it. I just hoping they don't do some bullshit and kill her off before Glenn.

In simpler terms:

People meet
They become friends

I agree, and four of those we actually saw before the timeskip.

Also, I feel like there's been several small beats that could hint that there could be something more, if both really wanted it. Just small things. I thought it was pretty clear they were going to be together one day since S4E01

Surfinn

I agree, and four of those we actually saw before the timeskip.

Also, I feel like there's been several small beats that could hint that there could be something more, if both really wanted it. Just small things. I thought it was pretty clear they were going to be together one day since S4E01

I think people make a lot of those connections based on the fact that they WANT it, though, which is fine, but not only were those connections not there for me, I'm just not feeling the suddenness of their interactions.

I'm happy for people who enjoyed it, of course, but that's not me. Hopefully that will change as we progress.

Amikami

Banned
Right, but see my post above. Why include this information in the beginning of the episode, RIGHT after a time jump? That's confusing and doesn't serve any purpose if it's not referring to how much time has passed since Ep. 9.

What would be the point of the writers letting us know that they've been sharing toothpaste for 2 weeks, seconds after we're introduced to a major time skip? If that was their only intention, that's just confusing writing.
Yeah. It could be confusing. I can see that. Especially if you know there's been a timeskip. A lot of people are going to zone in to that 2 weeks because it's the only indication they have. I don't think it's extremely easy to misinterpret either though. The "2 weeks" had a context. Michonne used his toothpaste for 2 weeks. I do think it's a mistake on the writers part not to tell viewers more directly how much time has passed. I shouldn't need to watch the talking dead to find that out. For people who don't, I can see them attaching to the two weeks and going with it because it's the best they have. I myself would say, "oh okay. Well I know it's been at least 2 weeks. Maybe a bit longer. 2-3 weeks?" I wouldn't have guessed 2 months tho.

Why include the scene or 2 week comment? It was cute banter between two characters who were extremely close as friends, and whom would ultimately share their first kiss by the end of the episode. I don't think there's a single problem with the dialogue as it achieved at showing a playful relationship between Rick and Michonne. It's ultimately an arbitrary line of dialogue but if characters said just what they needed to say, episodes would be too short or filled with long drawn out shots of stale characters getting to the point. Sometimes you just gotta let characters be characters and allow their personality to show with arbitrary dialogue. The mistake was not telling us how long it had really been imo.

Tigress

He was shot, not bit.

Thank you for clearing that up for me unlike everyone else who just mocked me but left me wondering what I got wrong (including putting my whole post with three points so I wasn't even sure what part they were mocking). You other people could have at least put a sentence in correcting me. Obviously in the chaos of the show I missed that part. That does make it a lot better.

Surfinn

Yeah. It could be confusing. I can see that. Especially if you know there's been a timeskip. A lot of people are going to zone in to that 2 weeks because it's the only indication they have. I don't think it's extremely easy to misinterpret either though. The "2 weeks" had a context. Michonne used his toothpaste for 2 weeks. I do think it's a mistake on the writers part not to tell viewers more directly how much time has passed. I shouldn't need to watch the talking dead to find that out. For people who don't, I can see them attaching to the two weeks and going with it because it's the best they have. I myself would say, "oh okay. Well I know it's been at least 2 weeks. Maybe a bit longer. 2-3 weeks?" I wouldn't have guessed 2 months tho.

Why include the scene or 2 week comment. It was cute banter between two characters who were extremely close as friends, and whom would ultimately share their first kiss by the end of the episode. I don't think there's a single problem with the dialogue as it achieved at showing a playful relationship between Rick and Michonne. It's ultimately an arbitrary line of dialogue but if characters said just what they needed to say, episodes would be too short or filled with long drawn out shots of stale characters getting to the point. The mistake was not telling us how long it had really been imo.

Great post, and that's exactly my point. A lot of people who have read interviews and know 2 months has passed have extended information that is not readily available in the show itself.

It's a mistake to not only omit how much time has actually passed since the previous episode but also confuse us with a statement that's not representative of the time skip itself.

I agree that it's playful banter, and I don't have an issue with that until it impedes with clarity and continuity of the episodes themselves. My GF and I watched the episode and, right when we saw the picture of Carl, asked out loud "wow, how much time has passed?" Rick then proceeds to mention how she's been stealing his toothpaste for "2 weeks", then we both said, "oh, 2 weeks have passed". We didn't stop to think, "but what if more time has passed?", because there's absolutely no indication of it.

Poor writing, but ultimately, not detrimental to the experience if you know the real time skip outside of watching the show.

Amikami

Banned
Great post, and that's exactly my point. A lot of people who have read interviews and know 2 months has passed have extended information that is not readily available in the show itself.

It's a mistake to not only omit how much time has actually passed since the previous episode but also confuse us with a statement that's not representative of the time skip itself.

I agree that it's playful banter, and I don't have an issue with that until it impedes with clarity and continuity of the episodes themselves. My GF and I watched the episode and, right when we saw the picture of Carl, asked out loud "wow, how much time has passed?" Rick then proceeds to mention how she's been stealing his toothpaste for "2 weeks", then we both said, "oh, 2 weeks have passed". We didn't stop to think, "but what if more time has passed?", because there's absolutely no indication of it.

Poor writing, but ultimately, not detrimental to the experience if you know the real time skip outside of watching the show.

Yeah. Your criticisms are valid and fair. Clarity is important and so many people in this thread thinking strictly 2 weeks shows that there's an issue. It's not just one or two people, its a nice handful, which is a problem and this is on a forum in which we probably get a lot more outside information than the average viewer. They should handle time-skips a bit more carefully.

Thank you for clearing that up for me unlike everyone else who just mocked me but left me wondering what I got wrong (including putting my whole post with three points so I wasn't even sure what part they were mocking). You other people could have at least put a sentence in correcting me. Obviously in the chaos of the show I missed that part. That does make it a lot better.

It was very dark and the scene went quick. I knew what happened because I read the comic and saw it coming. Not sure how you reached the idea that his eye was bit out by a zombie, especially with the kid holding a gun at them, but... whatever, I guess. Also, Michonne and Rick don't need to be together. You're right about that. I'm sure men and women can respect each other and be friends. But, this is a zombie apocalypse and options aren't that great. I just look at the future of that relationship and I'm not entirely sure where you take it. We don't need another Maggie and Glenn on this show, really. And, your third point, about taking the truck a new way home, is probably your most sound complaint. It was very stupid to take those supplies on a joyride.

It was very dark and the scene went quick. I knew what happened because I read the comic and saw it coming. Not sure how you reached the idea that his eye was bit out by a zombie, especially with the kid holding a gun at them, but... whatever, I guess. Also, Michonne and Rick don't need to be together. You're right about that. I'm sure men and women can be friends. And, your third point, about taking the truck a new way home, is probably your most sound complaint. It was very stupid to take those supplies on a joyride.
A joyride? They were still on a run looking for supplies; that's why they stopped at the gas station

A joyride? They were still on a run looking for supplies; that's why they stopped at the gas station

It was an incredible haul that they should've backtracked home with. You take what you can get. Especially since they talked about going out the next day anyway. Why risk it? And why leave the second car there either?

It was an incredible haul that they should've backtracked home with. You take what you can get. Especially since they talked about going out the next day anyway. Why risk it? And why leave the second car there either?
Personally I took it as them being cautious since the last time the group split up during an excursion, it didn't go well

Symphonia

Banned
Personally I took it as them being cautious since the last time the group split up during an excursion, it didn't go well
I'm with thecouncil on this. They had an incredible haul right there, one that would've lasted a good month or two, and they lost it due to their incompetence. They could've redeemed themselves by not being so idiotic around Jesus but, no, they were completely trustworthy of a total fucking stranger.

What, really, was the point of that truck of supplies anyway? Was there something I missed? Couldn't the same plot have been told without the truck? All the truck did was make me think that Rick and Daryl are very stupid in their scavenging capabilities. Everything that happened could have just happened with the car they started out in.

What, really, was the point of that truck of supplies anyway? Was there something I missed? Couldn't the same plot have been told without the truck? All the truck did was make me think that Rick and Daryl are very stupid in their scavenging capabilities. Everything that happened could have just happened with the car they started out in.

I don't get the question. They found a truck full of supplies so they wanted to take the truck back after they were done foraging.

I definitely agree with the fact that they should have gone back ASAP lol.

With that said they did acknowledge how dumb it all was. Doubly dumb that their two best fighters would both go out together. Some other review mentioned it but it's like kirk and spock both beaming down for some reason lol. So careless. But they made a joke about it at the end of the episode so it was worth it.

Surfinn

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they start heading back home once they got control of the truck? When Jesus sneaked on top of the roof?

I don't get the question. They found a truck full of supplies so they wanted to take the truck back after they were done foraging.

I definitely agree with the fact that they should have gone back ASAP lol.

With that said they did acknowledge how dumb it all was. Doubly dumb that their two best fighters would both go out together. Some other review mentioned it but it's like kirk and spock both beaming down for some reason lol. So careless. But they made a joke about it at the end of the episode so it was worth it.

No, I'm saying that it's odd that it was even written into the show. It was a pointless addition to the script unless it was to show, as you say, how dumb they are. I guess that was the point.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they start heading back home once they got control of the truck? When Jesus sneaked on top of the roof?

Eventually, they went back home, yes. They should, however, never met Jesus because after finding the truck (which was a bit before meeting Jesus, I believe), they should've turned around instead of continuing on. Like, what exactly were they hoping to find by continuing the expedition? Some more stuff to jam into the truck's cab? Oh yeah. A soda. Last chance to ever find a soda, I guess.

Amikami

Banned
I remembered that one of the interviews before the mid-season premiere talked about how horrific the mid season would open but that we could expect moments of tinderness and peace and that there was even a comedic episode they attempted. I'm pretty sure that this episode was it.

It's not really anything against any of the criticisms about the whole Rick and Daryl thing as most of them are good. I do think that we were kinda asked to go with the flow this episode. All in all, it really was a comedic western dukes of hazard-like buddy cop adventure between Rick and Daryl. They meet a guy who calls himself Jesus and ultimately causes them to stupidly get their supplies downed in a lake. It was already a silly scenario with a silly conclusion. Every single character was silly. That was the point. It doesn't necessarily mean that there shouldn't be any criticism but I also don't feel the need to take the sample of the characters behavior and use it as prime examples of who they are. It was literally a bunch a slap-stick humor that I actually think was pulled of pretty...humorlessly. Furthermore, we needed a change of pace. A comedic episode in whihc Rick and Daryl run around like country hens with their heads missing was a fun way to do it. Overall, it doesn't need to be taken so seriously.That's just my opinion though. Thought it was a great episode with some minor issues.

Surfinn

No, I'm saying that it's odd that it was even written into the show. It was a pointless addition to the script unless it was to show, as you say, how dumb they are. I guess that was the point.

Eventually, they went back home, yes. They should, however, never met Jesus because after finding the truck (which was a bit before meeting Jesus, I believe), they should've turned around instead of continuing on. Like, what exactly were they hoping to find by continuing the expedition? Some more stuff to jam into the truck's cab? Oh yeah. A soda. Last chance to ever find a soda, I guess.

I see your point. Yeah, that's stupid, I agree.

Daryl's the guy who brought a flower back to console Carol and all that. He's a kind of a softie inside; I could totally see him wanting to try and fulfill Denise' request while they were already out.

...A comedic episode in whihc Rick and Daryl run around like country hens with their heads missing was a fun way to do it. Overall, it doesn't need to be taken so seriously.That's just my opinion though. Thought it was a great episode with some minor issues.

Yeah, it doesn't need to be taken seriously and what you're saying is true... but it was dumb. Haha.

Daryl's the guy who brought a flower back to console Carol and all that. He's a kind of a softie inside; I could totally see him wanting to try and fulfill Denise' request while they were already out.

Yeah, I get that. That flower scene with Carol was one of my favorite parts of this show. But, then again, there was always tomorrow. Quite literally, in this case because they were going out again. I wonder how Denise would've reacted to Daryl telling her that he lost a truckload of supplies for a can of soda that he also lost. Haha. Wait. I'm starting to really see the comedy of this episode. It actually was kinda hilarious, in the end.

Myself and a couple friends decided to finally record our discussions on TWD in a podcast titled DAY AFTER DEAD. I hope it's alright to post it here, we're on episode 2 of the DADcast (lol) and would like to keep this journey going!

If interested, here's the link. -- Any feedback is appreciated, and if there's an issue posting this feel free to delete ;'[

Surfinn

Denise wanted Daryl to see if he could find some soda to surprise Tara

Hmm. I'll have to rewatch that episode but.. damn, if that's all it was, I say just make sure you get home safe with the big ass truck full of food and supplies. Would there really not be a soda in the back of that thing?

T.O.P

Banned
Catched up with the the 9th episode and holy fuck they went all in, some pacing issues but what a fantastic comeback it was

Just a curiosity (gonna watch the 10th episode tomorrow), has Aaron's bf litterally disappeared? Did i forget a scene or something where he got killed? I don't remember seeing him since the motorcycle and the dinner scene with Daryl

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Catched up with the the 9th episode and holy fuck they went all in, some pacing issues but what a fantastic comeback it was

Just a curiosity (gonna watch the 10th episode tomorrow), has Aaron's bf litterally disappeared? Did i forget a scene or something where he got killed? I don't remember seeing him since the motorcycle and the dinner scene with Daryl

He was briefly in one of the scenes in episode 9 - I think he was one of the ones who picked up a weapon and helped Rick fend off the zombie horde.

T.O.P

Banned
He was briefly in one of the scenes in episode 9 - I think he was one of the ones who picked up a weapon and helped Rick fend off the zombie horde.

sdsdgus79.png

Oh wow, i thought it was him but it passed so much time i kinda forgot what he looked like lol

Hmm. I'll have to rewatch that episode but.. damn, if that's all it was, I say just make sure you get home safe with the big ass truck full of food and supplies. Would there really not be a soda in the back of that thing?

She wanted the specific brand, said Tara sleep-talked about it.

It's definitely stupid of them to stop and check a random gas station to see if they have this thing instead of going right home. And also kind of silly that the random gas station they checked had the exact thing Daryl was looking for, but the whole scenario was kind of silly from the get go, that they find this truck full of supplies in a barn with "Sorghum" written on it in giant letters, which is the "criminally underrated grain" that Eugene told them to look for in his "hunky dunky" scene.

I'm guessing most people hated that episode cause it was my favorite of the season. This is what a like about this show, just people living and surviving. I hate the huge constant fucked episodes.

Also I cant believe the Doctor girl is still around, I can't stand her. She feels like she won a walk on role during ComicCon and has just stuck around.

The thing is, Rick was driving, and Daryl obviously told him to stop, but not why. The Ricktator should've said "hell no" and drove straight back; they made it very clear they were in bad need of supplies. But instead Rick pulls over and lets Daryl tie chains to a soda machine. In a normal situation Rick would've never been dumb enough to risk the truck like that.

That's the only real bad writing I thought there was in this episode. The Michonne Incident seemed completely natural to me.

You've already been corrected and realised your mistake but it's still funny that up could have missed the shot not bit part given how out played out.

Also re: the truck and soft drink scene, you could see that shit was going to happen a mile out but even when it did I literally stood up, shouted at the TV and left the room. I missed about two or three minutes after that.

Oh and the Daryl and Jesus dancing around in a field was stupid as hell as well.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
The thing is, Rick was driving, and Daryl obviously told him to stop, but not why. The Ricktator should've said "hell no" and drove straight back; they made it very clear they were in bad need of supplies. But instead Rick pulls over and lets Daryl tie chains to a soda machine. In a normal situation Rick would've never been dumb enough to risk the truck like that.

That's the only real bad writing I thought there was in this episode. The Michonne Incident seemed completely natural to me.

They said after finding the truck they would drive another route back to Alexandria and try to find more stuff on the way back.

Seemed to me they pulled over to the gas station because it is a likely place to find general supplies, not because Daryl spotted the toppled soda machine from the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom