• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 7, Part 1 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like the two shows are sort of at the opposite ends of the spectrum:

Game of Thrones rushes through everything - The Walking Dead stretches everything out.

Game of Thrones kills too many characters - The Walking Dead kills too few.

Game of Thrones has zombies that move fast - The Walking Dead has zombies that move slow.

Yeah, I guess it's not fair to compare the two shows....one is based off a book where the other is based off a graphic novel, so GoT will obviously have more content. I just wish TWD had a bit more going on is all....maybe get some more writers on board? I dunno.

Savitar

One thing you know you'll see in the walking dead thread is people being upset about something. I love Negan, the guy can be entirely menacing and threatening and be so damn charming and silly the next. But that's what makes his acts of violence so much worse, because he's able to switch it on and off just like that and he knows how to play mind games with you. That's what the mattresses were all about, keeping them down, he was smart, he knew to come early, keep them off their game, make sure everyone knew the score. By threatening to kill Olivia he sent a message and he would have acted on it as well. You know it. They know it. In fact if he made a mistake it was probably not braining someone in so the rest of the town could see it first hand....but they heard the stories, the know what happened and the mind can be so effective in imagining.

I mean hell, the townspeople see Rick, how he is, what he is saying, you think that doesn't have them freaked out and scared. This is freaking Rick. What ever knocks him down without him wanting revenge or coming out on top. Yet here he is brought to heel. He knows they can't win. Kill Negan? The others are still there, they will kill everyone. Rick is right, they don't got the numbers.

And that's also why Daryl is around as well....people see...oh shit, Daryl, the bad ass loner who does some crazy shit and the whole lone wolf kinda thing but is a good guy is absolutely nothing more than a beaten down lackey. I mean the guy looked terrible. You think that being seen by some wouldn't get to them.

I'm having fun. I'm enjoying it.

Raptor

The way Negan talks is starting to annoy me greatly, everytime he speaks is like "look...what..we...have...here!" Im sick of it.

Simon would become the leader. He's Negan's right-hand man.

No, Simon would be next in line (notice how he wasn't there in Alexandria).
images

Dwight is high level, but really is someone Negan likes to fuck with (he has his wife).

He's nowhere close to being terrifying.

jrDev

Did some people not watch the first episode of this season? You kill them at the gate, good job. You solved the problem momentarily. Soon the rest of his army gets word of what happened and then Trevor from GTAV comes with everyone and makes Rick wish he got killed by Lucille since they'll tear all his loved ones peace by peace. Rick is actually thinking rationally for once and dropped the tough guy thing for the sake of keeping his people alive. He will get his revenge in time but not today.

Edit: plus if he did something stupid like lob grenades over the fence he would've killed Daryl.
This is probably why they didn't, though how would they even know Daryl was there? This episode was poorly written...

Amikami

Banned
He's nowhere close to being terrifying.

Nor is Carol. Not sure what that has to do with anything. Dude you're deflecting everytime someone makes a decent point. Going balls deep on the situation was just gunna be bad. I don't see what the hell you're seeing.

This is probably why they didn't, though how would they even know Daryl was there? This episode was poorly written...

Poorly written? No I wouldn't say that at all based on this moment unless you're referring to other reasons. Even in this scene, Rick didn't know anyone was coming. Negan said a week. Rick mistakenly took him for his word. Negan absolutely wanted to catch them off guard and it's only been 3 days. He didn't see Negan coming until he saw Negan at the gate, and so he then sees Daryl as well.

In past seasons I've wondered if this show could possibly get any worse and the cast and crew of The Walking Dead continues to surprise. Negan is basically a villian from a saturday morning cartoon. He's about as compelling as one of the goons from Scooby-Doo. The Scooby-Doo goons had better dialogue though. I don't want to get into King Tigerman or whatever he's called. I will continue to watch out of some masochistic need to see how bad it can get.

PaleFolklore said:
Negan is basically a villian from a saturday morning cartoon. He's about as compelling as one of the goons from Scooby-Doo. The Scooby-Doo goons had better dialogue though.

Negan has too many monologues. He comments on everything and it does get annoying. I can't wait for one of the good(ish) guys to shut him up.

:jnc

Who? Fucking Dwight?

They'd all be fighting over which of them becomes Negan! That's sort of part of the problem. There's Negan and then a bunch of nameless nobodies. We should have had an episode on the Negan side of things actually showing us some tough lieutenants or seconds in charge.

Or, better yet, one of those Princess Bride Dread Pirate Roberts scenes. "He took me aside and told me his secret. 'I am not Negan,' he said. 'It's the name that instills fear.' The previous Negan wanted to retire, so we moved, brought on a whole new set of villages, all the time with him calling me Negan. Then we pretended to kill him off and he's living like a king in Patagonia!"

Anyway, I would have shot him in the face, laid waste to the scrubs at the fence (sorry, Daryl, going all Spock on you but the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one) and then seen which of those asshats wanted to challenge the new king. Maybe I'd be screaming "I'm fucking Negan you bitches!!!" while I emptied my gun in his smiling face.
We've got a badass over here!

f38ecce392270ae18bc5ad0ef90b502c.jpg

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
:jnc

Who? Fucking Dwight?

They'd all be fighting over which of them becomes Negan! That's sort of part of the problem. There's Negan and then a bunch of nameless nobodies. We should have had an episode on the Negan side of things actually showing us some tough lieutenants or seconds in charge.

They're not nameless nobodies: they're all Negan. >:)

Also, we saw a few of Negan's commanders in previous episodes - Daryl killed one with a rocket launcher and Carol killed one with a spike. There's also Dwight and Simon, as stated above.

Anyway, I would have shot him in the face, laid waste to the scrubs at the fence (sorry, Daryl, going all Spock on you but the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one) and then seen which of those asshats wanted to challenge the new king. Maybe I'd be screaming "I'm fucking Negan you bitches!!!" while I emptied my gun in his smiling face.

Negan had more men, plus bigger and better firepower. Even if they had been successful in killing Negan Prime, Rick and his people would have been wiped out. Especially when you consider that Rick and Co. killed a ton of The Saviors last season, Negan Prime is probably the only thing keeping the remaining Saviors' vengeance at bay.

5olid_5nake

To be honest, I thought that by introducing Negan the show would pick up the pace a bit, but unfortunately for me, whenever I have to check at the clock every ten minutes, it's usually not a good sign (with the exception of the first episode).
I don't understand why this last episode had to be longer, except for their insatiable hunger for commercials.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
They showed the hilltop to be a pretty easily defendable place. Move your collective asses there, with all the guns, torch everything in Alexandria you can't bring along, and fuck Negan.

They're not nameless nobodies: they're all Negan. >:)

Also, we saw a few of Negan's commanders in previous episodes - Daryl killed one with a rocket launcher and Carol killed one with a spike. There's also Dwight and Simon, as stated above.

Negan had more men, plus bigger and better firepower. Even if they had been successful in killing Negan Prime, Rick and his people would have been wiped out. Especially when you consider that Rick and Co. killed a ton of The Saviors last season, Negan Prime is probably the only thing keeping the remaining Saviors' vengeance at bay.

Based on the reactions I'm seeing in here (including my own), I think they didn't do a great job setting that up. That and Negan hamming it up just doesn't work for me, but I'll shut up at this point.

Audioboxer

Alexandria is surrounded by buildings, couldn't they just go get more mattresses?

Sure. I think more anger will come from the fact it's a power play, not that Negan and Co actually use all the stuff they steal.

Taking all the mattresses just to burn them is such a big fuck you. No one sane should be burning any sort of resource in this world.

Seik

Banned
''I just shoved my dick deep down in your throat, and you said thank you.''

Ayyyyyyyyy.

Being Rick, I would've shot Negan right in the face the moment I'd see him on the other side of that fence. Daryl would probably die, but holy shit, he would've understood that shit.

Now they have fucking NOTHING, they're defenseless as fuck.

Sure. I think more anger will come from the fact it's a power play, not that Negan and Co actually use all the stuff they steal.

Taking all the mattresses just to burn them is such a big fuck you. No one sane should be burning any sort of resource in this world.

I get the fact the mattresses being burnt would be a bit annoying but.....

In a world where like 80% of people are dead I'd imagine finding new mattresses would be piss easy. It's more of an inconvenience than a reason to cry and get all pissed off.

Javier

''I just shoved my dick deep down in your throat, and you said thank you.''

Ayyyyyyyyy.

Being Rick, I would've shot Negan right in the face the moment I'd see him on the other side of that fence. Daryl would probably die, but holy shit, he would've understood that shit.

Now they have fucking NOTHING, they're defenseless as fuck.
They need to unite forces with The Kingdom and Hilltop and form the Triforce.

The Kingdom = Power
Alexandria = Courage
Hilltop = Wisdom

Savitar

Well, that sounds pretty much like the only possible outcome at this point. :p

Surely the Elves will come. Elrond will not leave them hanging!

Oh wait........and yeah the first image of the mattresses was confusing as fuck, didn't know if it was concrete, ash or something else at first. It was only after they reversed the shot that really knew what they were.

Surely the Elves will come. Elrond will not leave them hanging!

Oh wait........and yeah the first image of the mattresses was confusing as fuck, didn't know if it was concrete, ash or something else at first. It was only after they reversed the shot that really knew what they were.

And the eagles!

Rick basically had a whole speech at the impromptu town meeting thing as to why they couldn't fight back right now. It's easy to say just shoot Negan but would you really do that in that situation if you were actually there and it wasn't a TV show. Also glad I wasn't the only one who thought the burning mattresses were a UFO.

Mediking

Andrew Lincoln is now my favorite actor. The man is crazy talented. He digs deep to deliver super good emotional charged scenes. The show is good but he is the true star. Anybody know any actors similar to him? I kinda think Di Caprio is similar but I think Lincoln even surpassed him.

Has Rick ever been happy in this show? Has anyone ever genuienly had a laugh? Everything is always life and death on this show. Andrea's sister had the right idea.

Neegan just got lucky pre-Alexandria Carol wasn't around during all his shenanigans. She would have killed his entire crew and made them think she was baking cookies the whole time.

Even the writers realize this, that's why she was off having a breakdown during all this.

God help him when she realizes he has Daryl...

Carol "Oh you took all the guns? That's cute. You're still dead."

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Question

At the end of the episode s07x04:

What was that crash site thing that micchone was looking at? where she was breathing really heavy?

Neegan just got lucky pre-Alexandria Carol wasn't around during all his shenanigans. She would have killed his entire crew and made them think she was baking cookies the whole time.

Even the writers realize this, that's why she was off having a breakdown during all this.

God help him when she realizes he has Daryl...

Carol "Oh you took all the guns? That's cute. You're still dead."

I was just thinking this when I was watching the most recent episode.

"How convenient that this is all happening now that Carol is gone and having a morality crisis."

Has Rick ever been happy in this show? Has anyone ever genuienly had a laugh? Everything is always life and death on this show. Andrea's sister had the right idea.

Not in the past 2-3 seasons I don't think. Funny thing is when they first arrived at Alexandria the people there tried to get them to enjoy life and not think about survival/killing all the time, but they never allowed themselves to do that because of everything they've been through. Can't blame them, but it does makes you wonder how much trouble could have been avoided these past 2 seasons if they didn't try so hard to keep that edge.

Not in the past 2-3 seasons I don't think. Funny thing is when they first arrived at Alexandria the people there tried to get them to enjoy life and not think about survival/killing all the time, but they never allowed themselves to do that because of everything they've been through. Can't blame them, but it does makes you wonder how much trouble could have been avoided these past 2 seasons if they didn't try so hard to keep that edge.
He seemed happy in that episode where he smanged Michonne

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
He was happy a couple times with Judith. And Michonne. I think he derived some sick pleasure out of killing those people from Terminus too. Like being able to fulfill his promise to use the machete with the red handle.

Oh, And when Rick slit that dude's neck and the blood got all over him, the townspeople looked at him like he was crazy and he just gave a "...What?" I always took that reaction as a really dark joke on his part. Subtle gallows humor

The way those front two are angled, it looks like a downed starfigher of some sort. That's why so many thought it was a UFO. I think the prop guys could have done better arranging them.

They look rectangular. I go immediately to bed. Negan took everyone's bed less than 10 minutes before this scene. You people are crazy. Please seek professional help.

6UgLvSw.jpg

Betty

Banned
The way those front two are angled, it looks like a downed starfigher of some sort. That's why so many thought it was a UFO. I think the prop guys could have done better arranging them.

It absolutely did, I couldn't tell it was mattresses until they did the close up shot.

They look rectangular. I go immediately to bed. Negan took everyone's bed less than 10 minutes before this scene. You people are crazy. Please seek professional help.

Nope, it looked like a downed ship to me too until the closer shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom