• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 7, Part 1 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
My issue isn't about the plot line, I just don't like some of the dialogue choices they pick. The over the top "loaded" conversations really annoy me and they constantly happen and are done by a stern face. They try to hard to be meta. Give me rawness. Meta works best when it is subtle, not stuffed down your throat. Mostly, I'm talking about the scene with Heath and her in the beginning. It just needed a tone down.

I don't mind the episode being focused on her only, completely fine with it and understand it. I also like her as a character and like how she isn't as predictable like Maggie or Sasha.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
There's so many storylines and characters now that it's becoming hard to follow. It's not necessarily bad but it's odd to go from a Rick-centric show to an ensemble cast. I've watched every new episode as it premiered yet I could not remember what had happened to Tara and why she was separated from the group. It took me a while to remember that her girlfriend had died and that's why Eugene was crying when he saw her. Had Tara not mentioned her girlfriend at the dinner table then I would have forgotten.

I had forgotten over the break what all had happened between Morgan and Carol. I had forgotten almost everything about Tara's black friend with the dreadlocks. I think ratings are probably down because it's getting so hard to keep up with all the ancillary characters and locations. Entire episodes focus on these ancillary characters that few care about. Rick is down to featuring in like only 25% of the episodes.

AMC's promo last week decided to go with "scenes from upcoming episodes of TWD", which felt odd at the time, but now I see why. They didn't want to advertise this episode and let people know it was a Tara episode.
Well first off they include in before the episode here's what happened and it clearly explained that Heath & Tara were on a mission and then beginning of the episode also reaffirms that they have been on a mission for supplies. The show has actually had very few storylines going on for one that has so many characters in it and honestly they have done quite well with introducing new characters and settings by focusing an entire episode on it. Going forward the show is going to be show these different locations a lot more, which is why they had to introduce them.

Sora_N

The episode was pretty slow, and they're adding an extra faction to the story.

My guess is that they are building up to some massive gang-up on Negan's crew near the end of the season.

SamuraiX-

Content Roundup – Episode 706: “Swear”

FxBJ6BD.jpg

AMC Inside The Walking Dead:
  • The Making of Episode 706, “Swear” - AMC
  • Inside Episode 706: “Swear” - AMC
  • Preview of Episode 707, “Sing Me a Song” - AMC | International
  • Sneak Peek of Episode 707, “Sing Me a Song” - AMC | International
Producer & Cast Interviews:
Critic Reviews:
Talking Dead's Inside The Dead
  • Scott M. Gimple found the bridge in this episode while filming an episode last season. It's along the same river where Eastman trained Morgan in Aikido.
  • The sand walker sequence required the bridge to be closed off for an entire week. Filming took only 3 days; the rest of the week was spent bringing in and cleaning up the 20 tons of sand.
  • Amy Lynn Tuttle was a sand walker in this episode and compared the work to a day at the spa. "You sweat. You sweat a lot, but I think sweating's cleansing."
PLEASE SPOILER TAG ALL PREVIEW/PROMO AND GRAPHIC NOVEL DISCUSSION. REVIEW THE OP FOR COMPLETE THREAD RULES ON SPOILERS.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Holy cow is this episode boring the shit out of me. I'm only halfway through but yikes. I usually don't complain about filler cause who even knows that means in this show, but fucking hell.

This is the first time this season I wish they'd cut to another storyline to break things up.

They are now dragging this show for the sake of dragging it. They probably had 7-8 episodes worth of material for this season. But dragging it to 16 or however many episodes there is per season.

I really can't stand when they do episodes that are half-flashback and half-present interleaved with each other, with a constant back-and-forth over and over. It's a horrendously jarring way to tell a story. And the writers love doing it... ugh

Other than that I liked the episode. It made me actually like Tara. There's an innocence to her character that's a breath of fresh.air.

Tara with dat season 1 plot armor. Shot at about 75 times that episode? Didn't get hit once. This fucking show.

It's fine. Her hand was covering her face.

Boring episode. The forced humour was terrible. "Are you sure a larder isn't a boat?" Urgh.

The only good thing about this episode was Cyndie. Make her a regular please.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
That was rough one to get through. I will admit that I enjoyed the last 10ish or so minutes. The Cindie character needs to come back, she was actually level headed and normal. The episode was extremely hard to get through until they revealed Oceanside's true backstory and its relationship with The Saviors. That was actually well done and added something.

This was a good episode for Tara as a character. Messing around in the gift shop, walking back to Alexandria with the bright sunglasses...those were nice moments. But dodging hails of bullets from the Oceanside fighters on multiple occasions? Come on.

I'm actually shocked my boy Heath didn't get killed off. With the actor being busy with the 24 revival, I just assumed they'd kill him off first chance they got. Especially since they haven't used him for anything in a loooooooooooong time. Him and Tara have been non-factors in the show for half a season worth of episodes.

Minor Comic Spoilers

I guess since Oceanside is essentially an unknown in the comics, they're just going to do whatever they want with it here. This one being an all female community already takes it in a different direction.

Fliesen

That episode was okay.

It still pisses me off to no end though, when they're in a rather confined space, have a clear shot at taking out invidiual walkers (like when she was standing on that car roof on the bridge) and just don't ...

Tara's dope, one of the last characters to smile from time to time... It's as close to "comic relief" as it gets with TWD, and i'm totally okay with it.

Ronabo

I thought it was funny the lesbian found an all women community.

I liked the episode, even though it was probably just a filler one.

I thought it was funny the lesbian found an all women community.

If this was Monty Python...

Rick: You were in great peril.
Tara: I don't think I was.
Rick: Yes, you were. You were in terrible peril.
Tara: Look, let me go back in there and face the peril.
Rick: No, it's too perilous.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I quite liked that episode. I had forgotten what unique energy Tara brings to the show - she's so unlike any of the other characters. That shot of her walking down the road in sunglasses was such a great moment.

I also enjoy when the show takes a detour to show us a new corner of the zombie apocalypse, so I thought it was pretty cool to see an entirely new and unique community (and one that isn't, really, in the comics). Hopefully we'll see more of them before too long. Especially Cindy - she was a total bro.

Also, I was surprised that Heath didn't die and that we didn't see him back at Alexandria. I guess they just opted leave the door open for Corey Hawkins to come back instead of killing him off. (assuming this was his final episode of the season, which it very well might not have been)

Ugh side character episodes are the worst. Doesn't help that I just watched all of seasons 4.5-6 on netflix. They were more tolerable then.

It's clear all the side communities will come together to fight the saviors.

Jobbs

Banned
If the ratings are going down I hope they realize it could be because the show is boring and too broken up between different storylines

You can't get invested in anything when each week it's a different person and story .. st least GOT checks in with a lot of different chars per episode

I quite liked that episode. I had forgotten what unique energy Tara brings to the show - she's so unlike any of the other characters. That shot of her walking down the road in sunglasses was such a great moment.

I also enjoy when the show takes a detour to show us a new corner of the zombie apocalypse, so I thought it was pretty cool to see an entirely new and unique community (and one that isn't, really, in the comics). Hopefully we'll see more of them before too long. Especially Cindy - she was a total bro.

Also, I was surprised that Heath didn't die and that we didn't see him back at Alexandria. I guess they just opted leave the door open for Corey Hawkins to come back instead of killing him off. (assuming this was his final episode of the season, which it very well might not have been)

I like her too, she's one of the few, if not the only self aware characters on the show.

I hated the episode, they tried to make Tara "funny" with all those "funny lines", but they were actually horrible, too forced. I almost did not finish watching it.

Imagine her being like Spider Man. She spouts bad humor to cover up her fear.

If the ratings are going down I hope they realize it could be because the show is boring and too broken up between different storylines

You can't get invested in anything when each week it's a different person and story .. st least GOT checks in with a lot of different chars per episode

But GoT may do an A and a B plot thread per episode and not pick them up for another 2 weeks. That's just one more moving part to keep track of, allowing for less time to become invested in any one character arc.

BFIB

I really hate when Gimple gets this great idea for a walker set, but it's in the most ridiculous circumstances. Would someone fighting for survival in the apocalypse be driving a truck full of sand?

AudioEppa

The episode overall was shitty, with only a few moments of anything decent.

But I'm not gonna get bipolar pissed off at the show, like em or not I'm used to episodes like this by now. I can't wait for next weekend, hopefully they let the boy do some gangsta shit on the saviors, or continue to downplay him for whatever stupid reason.

I really hate when Gimple gets this great idea for a walker set, but it's in the most ridiculous circumstances. Would someone fighting for survival in the apocalypse be driving a truck full of sand?

I seem to me that the Sand Zombies are all the village men that Negan killed. Negan shot them, probbaly left then still half alive, buried them in sand, and suffocated them.

TVexperto

Wow worst season so far, they need to change things up behind the scenes - never thought this show could get worse than farm season 2

I seem to me that the Sand Zombies are all the village men that Negan killed. Negan shot them, probbaly left then still half alive, buried them in sand, and suffocated them.

I recall that Beatrice stated that the Saviors killed all the Oceanside men execution style. All headshots.

OrionX

They kill everyone who walks into camp and ask questions later. It was clear after their dinner she had been given an ultimatum. Tara knew if she chose to leave they were going to kill her.

Plus when that creepy girl got right behind her and pulled out a knife, I think it set off some warning bells. lol

I really can't stand when they do episodes that are half-flashback and half-present interleaved with each other, with a constant back-and-forth over and over. It's a horrendously jarring way to tell a story. And the writers love doing it... ugh

Other than that I liked the episode. It made me actually like Tara. There's an innocence to her character that's a breath of fresh.air.

Have you ever seen Lost?

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Why do they keep doing entire episodes on one set of characters, it's terrible. Can't they intercut like game of thrones.

This is what annoys me most about this show. Soon as I seen it was a Tara focused episode I groaned. It wouldn't have been so bad if they had cut to Rick and crew for a scene or two then to Daryl or Carol. Being stuck watching a character you may not give a shit about for an hour is not fun TV.

jett

D-Member
It's honestly amazing to me that people would quit over Glenn's death but not over the innumerable absolute trash filler episode TWD has had, like this shit right here.

Moofers

My wife and I enjoyed the episode. Its TWD so we've gotten used to just accepting that the show isn't perfect and sometimes it can be downright bad, but this episode wasn't one of those times.

The only gripe I had was the duuuuuuumb scene where all that sand collapsed. Was it hollow in there or what? That was such an "oh come on" moment but otherwise the rest of it was fine. I commented on how all those women must be terrible shots, but that kind of thing is par for the course in this show. Next episode they'll be popping walker headshots left and right but whatever.

Surfinn

I'm willing to tolerate this shows sometimes downright awful writing when they're able to show some sense of humanity. Tara reminds us that characters can sometimes be like us and exhibit some relatable qualities.

The last two episodes have done a decent job at reminding us that we're watching people survive, not emotionally devoid robots (even amid some horrendous acting and writing).

The positivity has been a nice change and I hope there's more of it to come. Show's been far too grim for some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom