• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 7, Part 1 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javier

"What you said does not make you a sinner, but it does make you a tremendous shit".

Best quote of the series right there.

Jobbs

Banned
"What you said does not make you a sinner, but it does make you a tremendous shit".

Best quote of the series right there.

Hatred and thinking about wanting someone dead are absolutely 1000% biblical sins, though

Father whatever his name is just says shit

Weird. I think he's one of the worst characters ever because he feels like a Saturday morning cartoon. Zero depth, endless shtick. After the 800th time he bounced and smiled and said something threatening it for annoying

Gonna have to agree with you here. His exposition is starting to feel drawn out

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Anyone else think JDM's body shape takes away the "scaryness" from the negan character? In the comics he's huge!

He's so thin and scrawny that i think coral could take him 1 on 1.

My wife mentioned this the lady episode. She noted how he never takes off the jacket and how skinny he is under it.

Just saw the episode last night. Thoughts:

Spencer is a douchebag. Father Gabriel is the bomb. So much better than in the comics lol.

More shades of Negan. I do like that we saw different sides of him, mostly in his interactions with Carl. Especially when Carl was crying about the bandage. I think they made it clear that he really does like him. Also seeing a behind the scenes look at how the saviors function was cool. It's clear a lot of Negan's power come from his mind games and random bursts of extreme violence. He keeps talking about sexing people but he never really does it or forces it. Just uses it to mess with people around him like Olivia and Dwight (re: his wife). More mind games on Carl, even the outbursts of extreme violence are mindgames. It's how he holds power over people rather than being this imposing force. His whole persona is carefully constructed and just like Ezekiel it seems he is putting on a show almost every single time he's interacting with his people.

Rosita, boooo you for being mean to Eugene.

Seems like Rick and Aaron hit the jackpot. Should be interesting to see what they do with it.

Did Daryl notice Jesus?

Also I'm glad it seems Dwight/his wife are helping Daryl escape. At least I think it's them. They're too good for this saviors shit.

Anyone else think JDM's body shape takes away the "scaryness" from the negan character? In the comics he's huge!

He's so thin and scrawny that i think coral could take him 1 on 1.

Yeah- it's a logistics thing. He pulled a Christian Bale for a role in a miniseries last year: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/27/jeffrey-dean-morgan-weight-loss_n_7451710.html

I'm hoping he is able to put some back on as we move forward. He's the perfect guy for the part, IMO. It was just bad timing coming off of his previous role.

Zaph

Yeah- it's a logistics thing. He pulled a Christian Bale for a role in a miniseries last year: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/27/jeffrey-dean-morgan-weight-loss_n_7451710.html

I'm hoping he is able to put some back on as we move forward. He's the perfect guy for the part, IMO. It was just bad timing coming off of his previous role.

I'm surprised they didn't pad him out a bit until he was able to gain back the weight.

His gaunt appearance and hairline makes him look like he's wasting away, when instead he should look in peak fitness thanks to his position in The Saviors.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
He's not physically scary but he's a scary dude in general because of how mental he is,

Waldini

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo boring.

*sighs*

Excellent opening. Things went downhill fast.

Get on with it already. Haven't we spend enough episodes dragging? Jesus.

Jobbs

Banned
He's not physically scary but he's a scary dude in general because of how mental he is,

disagree. I think all fear and tension is dissolved because of how shallow and one dimensional his character is. the writers just make him do the same move in response to every situation and it lost its impact after the first few scenes. If he doesn't seem like a real person but a cardboard cutout cartoon badguy he just isn't scary.

disagree. I think all fear and tension is dissolved because of how shallow and one dimensional his character is. the writers just make him do the same move in response to every situation and it lost its impact after the first few scenes. If he doesn't seem like a real person but a cardboard cutout cartoon badguy he just isn't scary.
He's insane. He bashed Abe and Glenn's skulls into a mush and enjoyed every second of it.

The problem with Negan's characterization is that it was heavily frontloaded with the premiere. His insanity never lived up in subsequent episodes. If he bashed Abe in the first episode and then Glenn in the 3rd or 4th, it would have made a greater impact and a character. Instead people already forgot about the premiere and few posters are delusional in saying giuz maybe negan isnt such a bad guy. That was inevitable. If your character is crazy, you have to keep the crazy train running otherwise you run the risk of character gaps. I think Governor was better done in this regard.

Jobbs

Banned
He's insane. He bashed Abe and Glenn's skulls into a mush and enjoyed every second of it.

The problem with Negan's characterization is that it was heavily frontloaded with the premiere. His insanity never lived up in subsequent episodes. If he bashed Abe in the first episode and then Glenn in the 3rd or 4th, it would have made a greater impact and a character. Instead people already forgot about the premiere and few posters are delusional in saying giuz maybe negan isnt such a bad guy. That was inevitable. If your character is crazy, you have to keep the crazy train running otherwise you run the risk of character gaps. I think Governor was better done in this regard.

There's not much fear he'll kill anyone because he just did in the premiere and they won't consider it again until another finale/premiere. zzz

Watched the latest episode on my new 4K tv with all the right gadgets and gizmos working.

It looked fantastic but it also took away something from the series. It stripped back something. It was like I was actually there with the characters but I noticed something.....

The production quality and the acting of the 'extras' was piss poor this episode

Carl's not an extra

I see what you did there.

No I meant the pleb holding the baseball bat, the guy getting burnt with an iron and the two goons who were sitting on the back of the van when it stopped in the road for some reason right at the start.

Oh and the fat chick

The thing is that Negan really isn't a bad guy compared to the Gov. He has code and some redeeming qualities. He really didn't do anything worse than what Rick and Co did throughout the series. Negan also isn't insane like the Gov, keeping his dead daughter in his room with jars full of walker heads. Negan also isn't a cannibal. He's not as bad as many think he is.

hampig

The thing is that Negan really isn't a bad guy compared to the Gov. He has code and some redeeming qualities. He really didn't do anything worse than what Rick and Co did throughout the series. Negan also isn't insane like the Gov, keeping his dead daughter in his room with jars full of walker heads. Negan also isn't a cannibal. He's not as bad as many think he is.

Except that he is a pretty shitty guy. He's using all these people so that he can act on every whim he has. He's just smarter than the Gov. He's good at manipulating people and keeping them in their place. He has no problem killing or torturing people, even if they haven't really done anything wrong. He's pretty bananas.

Revolver

I'm confused about Michonne's plans. Is she going on a suicide mission? Maybe she thinks the Saviors would fall apart without Negan but she has to know if she fails the fallout would hurt Alexandria. Seems like too much of a risky move with so many lives at stake. Rosita I can sort of see since she's grieving pretty hard and was never super close to anyone left.

I'm confused about Michonne's plans. Is she going on a suicide mission? Maybe she thinks the Saviors would fall apart without Negan but she has to know if she fails the fallout would hurt Alexandria. Seems like too much of a risky move with so many lives at stake. Rosita I can sort of see since she's grieving pretty hard and was never super close to anyone left.

I assume that all of them sans Rick are going for the suicide mission route and then are going to fuck it up for everyone

Negan just doesn't come across as believable in any way. Like how on earth did he come into power? The world of the walking dead is full of people being really dumb, but the fact that Negan managed to rule the saviors through just fear alone is beyond me, the dude seems like a joke.

Like alright, beating the shit of someone with a bat is fucked up and intimidating but in order to do that, all the saviors have to watch him and think "yeah, this dude is out for our best interests". In a world where Shane gets offed for being over the top and a bit psycho, the fact this lad can arch his back all the way to supreme leadership is just really really dumb.

JDM is a good actor and is capable of more. The way Negan is currently written, he's only about two scenes from revealing a "damaged" tattoo.

jett

D-Member
Negan is the most entertaining character this show has ever had. TWD is at peak fun factor when he's around. Hopefully they don't kill him too soon.

CORL showed some signs of acting skills this episode. I honestly wish Negan had simply cut his fucking hair. Cut that shit already, damn it.

Negan just doesn't come across as believable in any way. Like how on earth did he come into power? The world of the walking dead is full of people being really dumb, but the fact that Negan managed to rule the saviors through just fear alone is beyond me, the dude seems like a joke.

Like alright, beating the shit of someone with a bat is fucked up and intimidating but in order to do that, all the saviors have to watch him and think "yeah, this dude is out for our best interests". In a world where Shane gets offed for being over the top and a bit psycho, the fact this lad can arch his back all the way to supreme leadership is just really really dumb.

JDM is a good actor and is capable of more. The way Negan is currently written, he's only about two scenes from revealing a "damaged" tattoo.

I agree, Negan's way of governance doesn't make any sense whatsoever. He's free to take his people's wives? Why would they stand up for that? He treats everyone like they're his slaves. In the "real world" he'd have a group of lieutenants that wield almost as much power as him. He's treated like he's all-powerful.

But this has always been a dumb, silly show, so I don't care to be honest.

Surfinn

I never understood this train of thought. Do people really believe Negan does this stuff because he "has to"? That's the type of rhetoric he uses to manipulate those around him. He likes it. In both the comic and the show, he enjoyed bashing brains. He could just as easily shot them or hung them, but he decided to use a bat and make it more brutal because he wants to. Can any reader or watcher really sit here and tell me he doesn't greatly enjoy beating people to death or torturing them emotionally/physically? Dude's a little crazy, even if he is surprisingly organized and successful as a tyrant.

Didn't do anything worse? Sure what Rick/co did was terrible and it was wrong, but they didn't enjoy killing people in their sleep. They didn't take pleasure in choosing to murder people (except maybe the terminus folks, but they had already attacked and terrorized them before hand, so that was more of simply finishing the threat/taking revenge) and didn't flaunt their power around, using it primarily because they can like Negan does. He convinces everyone (including some readers and viewers) that people are choosing things when the reality is.. anyone in the same position would have to do them to survive or at least have a life that isn't complete hell. Didn't he even force someone into being his wife in order to have access to medication? That's hardly a choice.

He convinces you you're making the decisions but he sets you up to have to do them in order to have a life that isn't living hell everyday.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car

I agree with this so hard.

The comic has yet to get into his backstory. Without getting spoilery, his comic character is definitely not just a dude with a bat bashing in skulls. Negan's a ferocious fighter, an absolute killer. He likely earned his way to the top of a rough group of folks by killing his way there. The fear factor came after.

RenditMan

Banned

North Korea is a good example of someone leading by force and the people thanking them for it.

The comic has yet to get into his backstory. Without getting spoilery, his comic character is definitely not just a dude with a bat bashing in skulls. Negan's a ferocious fighter, an absolute killer. He likely earned his way to the top of a rough group of folks by killing his way there. The fear factor came after.

Yeah, and those on the top are really doing well (sans the whole Negan fucks my wife thing). There's infinte amounts of food and resources and you get to bully everyone else.

Chumley

Banned
Watched the latest episode on my new 4K tv with all the right gadgets and gizmos working.

It looked fantastic but it also took away something from the series. It stripped back something. It was like I was actually there with the characters but I noticed something.....

The production quality and the acting of the 'extras' was piss poor this episode

Where are you getting it in 4k? Or do you just mean upscaled 1080p?

bitbydeath

The difference between Negan and Rick is Negan wants to build an army so he scares others into following him, hence why he only killed two and brutally. Which would have only been one if Daryl didn't break the rules.

Rick wouldn't be as brutal but he would have left no survivors.

Who's the bigger monster?

Parch

Completely agree. This whole storyline is just so unbelievable.

Kid sneaks into camp to kill Negan. Starts shooting people. Then Negan shows up, walks right into his sights, kid doesn't shoot.

So they walk around letting Negan do his douchebag routine. At one point he even hands Lucille to the kid, and the kid does nothing.

Negan treats everybody like crap, burning people in the face, and everybody does absolutely nothing.

The whole point of the writing now is to have Negan do his smartass nonsense and have every other character do absolutely nothing about it. All of the crap these people have been through and all the violent things they done for a lot less, and Negan is this invincible untouchable god that just does whatever he wants. It makes zero sense and completely unbelievable.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
L+SD ratings:

Season 7

Episode 1: 17.0 million 8.4 A18-49
Episode 2: 12.5 million 6.1 A18-49
Episode 3: 11.7 million 5.7 A18-49
Episode 4: 11.4 million 5.4 A18-49
Episode 5: 11.0 million 5.2 A18-49
Episode 6: 10.4 million 4.9 A18-49
Episode 7: 10.5 million 5.0 A18-49

Surfinn

The difference between Negan and Rick is Negan wants to build an army so he scares others into following him, hence why he only killed two and brutally. Which would have only been one if Daryl didn't break the rules.

Had Negan not created a notoriously hideous image for himself as a tyrant, it's possible this could all have been avoided. If it weren't Rick/co, it would have been someone else eventually. Though I disagree with Rick's initial offensive thoroughly.

Amikami

Banned
Why the hell are the leaves all over the road when everything around is green?

Old leaves maybe? Not like cars are going up and down the roads clearing 'em. Honestly though, I have no idea how long it takes leaves to completely decompose without the interference of people.

Lynn616

The one that is raping women and ironing faces.

Vagabundo

My only beef with this episode - except that it was a bit dull - was that Karl went to shoot Negan, killed two of his guys then when he had Negan in his sight did.... nothing? Why? I cant see any good reasons he didn't pull the trigger except plot armour. He was quite happy to kill two mooks.

Jobbs

Banned
My only beef with this episode - except that it was a bit dull - was that Karl went to shoot Negan, killed two of his guys then when he had Negan in his sight did.... nothing? Why? I cant see any good reasons he didn't pull the trigger except plot armour. He was quite happy to kill two mooks.

reaaaaally bad writing

if they wanted the same outcome they coulda just had the guys rush him and restrain him before neagan was in the sights or just have him shoot at neagan and miss

I simply do not understand this. it shattered my immersion in the show more than anything has in a while

reaaaaally bad writing

if they wanted the same outcome they coulda just had the guys rush him and restrain him before neagan was in the sights or just have him shoot at neagan and miss

I simply do not understand this. it shattered my immersion in the show more than anything has in a while
he's still a dumb kid, a testosterone fueled teenager. I agree that this show has more contrivances than most but to me this isn't one of them. He was always in way over his head.

reaaaaally bad writing

Yup, should have done it like the comics and had Dwight tackle Carl before Negan showed up. Really don't understand why they just didn't do that. Only issue I had with the episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom