• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 7, Part 1 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chumley

Banned
My only beef with this episode - except that it was a bit dull - was that Karl went to shoot Negan, killed two of his guys then when he had Negan in his sight did.... nothing? Why? I cant see any good reasons he didn't pull the trigger except plot armour. He was quite happy to kill two mooks.

Absolutely garbage staging and editing and corls actor is terrible.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Wasn't Negan hiding behind one of his goons? I thought I saw him step from behind one of his guys when Carl didn't have the gun anymore. Or maybe my brain auto corrected the scene lol

Amikami

Banned
The one that is raping women and ironing faces.

Pretty much.

Rick definitely ain't a saint but c'mon comparing him to Negan is like three times worse than the Shane comparisons. If Negan had killed the entirety of the group, no one could have realistically blamed him but all the other shit goes far beyond.

Coercing wives (Rape), killing all the men, killing children over the age of 12, that shit's just plain fucking evil for the sake of it. Rick has rarely did shit for the sake of doing it. Even at his most unstable "let's just kill 'em" days, he had his reasons even if he was being irrational as hell.

The one that is raping women and ironing faces.

Negan is not raping these women. He is very much against rape. In 7x03 Negan tells Dwight he can have any woman he wants as along as they say yes. And in 7x07 Negan tells one of his wives that she doesn't have to be with him if she doesn't want to be.

AgeEighty

Negan is not raping these women. He is very much against rape. In 7x03 Negan tells Dwight he can have any woman he wants as along as they say yes. And in 7x07 Negan tells one of his wives that she doesn't have to be with him if she doesn't want to be.

Yes, but it's heavily implied that walking away from him will be very bad for her family. They get some kind of easier quality of life because she's his wife.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

It's still rape. Negan just doesn't think something outside of forcible rape is rape. The alternative to that wife not being with Negan is getting a dangerous shitty job, along with her family. It would be like someone saying you can sleep with me, or I'll send your entire family to a war zone. Not much of a choice...

Notice how it's even framed. Dwight can have any woman he wants, if they say yes. So obviously choice has been removed from the equation for that to even be presented to him like that. Negan has to approve of the relationship and the women are used as a perk. He can't be with his actual wife. It's the illusion of freedom on both sides. Those women in his harem are obviously going to say Yes because they don't want to be thrown to the walkers for noncompliance

ZfzA7wQ.gif

It's still rape. Negan just doesn't think something outside of forcible rape is rape. The alternative to that wife not being with Negan is getting a dangerous shitty job, along with her family. It would be like someone saying you can sleep with me, or I'll send your entire family to a war zone. Not much of a choice...

Notice how it's even framed. Dwight can have any woman he wants, if they say yes. So obviously choice has been removed from the equation for that to even be presented to him like that. Negan has to approve of the relationship and the women are used as a perk. He can't be with his actual wife. It's the illusion of freedom on both sides. Those women in his harem are obviously going to say Yes because they don't want to be thrown to the walkers for noncompliance

ZfzA7wQ.gif

I'm going to link Wikipedia (I've lost all respect now). I didn't edit it or anything and it's right there at the end of the 2nd paragraph in the personality section. Negan truly is against rape. It's one of the rules.

Amikami

Banned
I'm going to link Wikipedia (I've lost all respect now). I didn't edit it or anything and it's right there at the end of the 2nd paragraph in the personality section. Negan truly is against rape. It's one of the rules.

I can't tell if you're kidding. Negan is against his definition of rape, which is not the full definition of rape. He's a rapist though. If someone told you ro be my wife/husband, or you and your husband/wife and mother go to the fence/get burned/get killed, dude you're about to be raped or punished.

Edit: Nvm. Think my sarcasm meter broke, or I hope.

Grizzlyjin

I'm familiar, I've been reading the comic for the last decade or so. The problem with that is they're describing Negan in the comics, it's a broad statement about his personality based off instances where he clearly showed a disdain for forcible rape. The show is going in-depth into how his "wives" system works, and yeah... that's rape. He would vehemently be against another Savior just raping someone. But his system of be my wife or do life threatening shit is rape, he just doesn't see it that way.

Ask yourself, if everyone is free to do what they want why are they crying after dealing with him? They're scared. It's a system of rules put in place to benefit him and justify his actions. Just like the iron. Just like the seemingly pointless zombie herding inside the compound. Just like Lucille. Extreme punishments that instill fear and thus give the people under you no choice but to comply. That illusion of choice makes it less likely they'll stand up against you because it doesn't seem random...it's a "rule."

Surfinn

I'm familiar, I've been reading the comic for the last decade or so. The problem with that is they're describing Negan in the comics, it's a broad statement about his personality based off instances where he clearly showed a disdain for forcible rape. The show is going in-depth into how his "wives" system works, and yeah... that's rape. He would vehemently be against another Savior just raping someone. But his system of be my wife or do life threatening shit is rape, he just doesn't see it that way.

Ask yourself, if everyone is free to do what they want why are they crying after dealing with him? They're scared. It's a system of rules put in place to benefit him and justify his actions. Just like the iron. Just like the seemingly pointless zombie herding inside the compound. Just like Lucille. Extreme punishments that instill fear and thus give the people under you no choice but to comply. That illusion of choice makes it less likely they'll stand up against you because it doesn't seem random...it's a "rule."
Yup this.

Hey you guys can call it rape. I'll continue to call it not rape and these women are being smart and want to live a better life. He gives them a choice. IDK maybe I'm just too far #TeamNegan.

Hey you guys can call it rape. I'll continue to call it not rape and these women are being smart and want to live a better life. He gives them a choice. IDK maybe I'm just too far #TeamNegan.

Bruh, it's totally rape, Just cause he isn't holding them down physically, he is still threatening them and their family, thus forcing them into that position.

Nameless

Is Negan this big of an asshole in the comics? I mean yeah, he beats people to death with a modded bat, we're not talking about a great guy here. But does he fuck with, mock, bully, if not out right troll people at every turn? JDM is going for it, and in a bubble it's incredible to watch. But stepping back and looking at what we've seen of Negan as a character, he's coming off as cartoonish -- to the point it's tough to believe he's gotten so many people to not murder him, much less follow him, much less bow at his feet. The guy hasn't shown a lick of humanity.

bitbydeath

Their lives are at no more risk than Hugh Hefners bunnies.

He is not threatening them at all but they do get perks for being married to him, food, nice beds etc

Amikami

Banned

You should have stayed a lurker. In what world do you live in where someone tells you Let me screw you or ill cut your arm and your families arms off not rape. You wouldn't possible reason that you didn't get raped because you had a choice and your life is better with the arm. It less of a team Negan thing and more of a you thing. Christ that's gross. I'm a fan of Negan too, but no need not calling it what it is.

Their lives are at no more risk than Hugh Hefners bunnies.

He is not threatening them at all but they do get perks for being married to him, food, nice beds etc

You mean threatening to kill your husband (sherry) or threatening for you and the rest of your family to be put on fence duty doesn't count...Nice perks doesn't make it not rape. You guys are freaking creepy.

Is Negan this big of an asshole in the comics? I mean yeah, he beats people to death with a modded bat, we're not talking about a great guy here. But does he fuck with, mock, bully, if not out right troll people at every turn? JDM is going for it, and in a bubble it's incredible to watch. But stepping back and looking at what we've seen of Negan as a character, he's coming off as cartoonish -- to the point it's tough to believe he's gotten so many people to not murder him, much less follow him, much less bow at his feet. The guy hasn't shown a lick of humanity.

Pretty much, though he's sincere about Carl and probably Judith. Despite all his threats, kids bring out...well, not the best, but something more towards the positive spectrum then his usual behavior.

Still not sure why they didn't have Negan have to take cover from Carl shooting. It would have helped sell him believing Carl as a threat of a sort, instead of it just being words. In fact, JDM just strolling and whistling in ruined the moment, as it shows the writers are trying to milk Negan as an unstoppable force without weakness or fear until the last possible moment. All at the expense of other characters like Carl who are in need of development themselves.

The kid that plays Carl really can't act. Some of his delivery when it was just Carl and Negan was so flat, it wasnt really giving JDM anything to work with.

You should have stayed a lurker. In what world do you live in where someone tells you Let me screw you or ill cut your arm and your families arms off not rape. You wouldn't possible reason that you didn't get raped because you had a choice and your life is better with the arm. It less of a team Negan thing and more of a you thing. Christ that's gross. I'm a fan of Negan too, but no need not calling it what it is.

You mean threatening to kill your husband (sherry) or threatening for you and the rest of your family to be put on fence duty doesn't count...Nice perks doesn't make it not rape. You guys are freaking creepy.

When did Negan say "let me screw you or i'll cut your arm and your families arms off"? That has never happened. Sherry married Negan to save Dwight because he stole insulin from Negan, a very finite resource, and he was going to be killed for that. As far as I'm aware of, that's a special circumstance for Negan gaining a wife. But she still volunteered.

Negan tells Amber you're more than welcome to go back to Mark. If she decided to go back to Mark I bet he wouldn't have gotten the iron. Y'all need to show some more respect to Negan.

The kid that plays Carl really can't act. Some of his delivery when it was just Carl and Negan was so flat, it wasnt really giving JDM anything to work with.
he has definitely improved a lot compared to many years ago, he shows flashes of being decent but he's definitely nowhere near some of the top tier actors on the show like JDM or Andy Lincoln or Lenny James. Those are putting on clinics.

He just needs to work on his stale delivery of some lines. He is pretty good at emotional scenes I think but the stoic lines aren't the greatest.

Amikami

Banned
When did Negan say "let me screw you or i'll cut your arm and your families arms off"? That has never happened. Sherry married Negan to save Dwight because he stole insulin from Negan, a very finite resource, and he was going to be killed for that. As far as I'm aware of, that's a special circumstance for Negan gaining a wife. But she still volunteered.

Negan tells Amber you're more than welcome to go back to Mark. If she decided to go back to Mark I bet he wouldn't have gotten the iron. Y'all need to show some more respect to Negan.

Gotcha. Now I know you're trolling. Thanks.

BorganXI

So I am thinking about the ending with Negan holding Judith and it got me thinking...

Comic spoilers I guess

Could we get the Lori / Judith death scene here? Maybe with one of Olivia / Rosita / Michonne + Judith

Could that be the catalyst that pushes Rick to start All Out War?

Or would AMC not show that happen?

Gotcha. Now I know you're trolling. Thanks.

Not trolling, man. How about you answer my question on where Negan says "Let me screw you or I'll cut off your arm and your family members"?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always thought Negan was against rape.

Negan is very much against rape. If you're a comicbook reader like myself maybe you can express how he is against rape and not be called a troll like I did.
So I am thinking about the ending with Negan holding Judith and it got me thinking...

Comic spoilers I guess

Could we get the Lori / Judith death scene here? Maybe with one of Olivia / Rosita / Michonne + Judith

AMC would not let that happen.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always thought Negan was against rape.

He also claimed he'd only take half of Alexandria's resources. Look how that turned out. He changed the definition of "half" on the spot, because it suited him.

We've seen that what Negan says isn't what Negan actually does. He's a sociopath who bends the reality in his head to his own convenience. In this case, he's created his own twisted definition of what constitutes rape, one that excuses him of guilt in his head. But that definition in the real world wouldn't fly.

Zaph

Comic spoilers I guess

(Comic and preview spoilers)
it would explain crying Rick and the blood on negan, but no, I don't think they'd go there.

Lothar

Banned
Not trolling, man. How about you answer my question on where Negan says "Let me screw you or I'll cut off your arm and your family members"?

Negan is very much against rape. If you're a comicbook reader like myself maybe you can express how he is against rape and not be called a troll like I did.

AMC would not let that happen.

He says he's against rape and then rapes women. This is worse than when some people said a GoT character didn't get raped because she was his wife, and those people all got rightly banned for that.

He says he's against rape and then rapes women. This is worse than when some people said a GoT character didn't get raped because she was his wife, and those people all got rightly banned for that.

You're referring to
Sansa
, right? That was a forced marriage. Keyword there is forced. Negan is not forcing these women into marriage. I see a difference. If a mod doesn't then so be it.

Effnine

Marry me or I'll do X to you. How is that not forcing someone to do something they wouldn't otherwise do?

I'm really trying to understand the rationale some of you guys are using.

Grizzlyjin

You're referring to
Sansa
, right? That was a forced marriage. Keyword there is forced. Negan is not forcing these women into marriage. I see a difference. If a mod doesn't then so be it.

I honestly can't tell if you're joking or not at this point. This episode really sailed over your head if you thought they were all there because they wanted to be. Here are two quotes from the IGN and AV Club review of this episode.
IGN said:
To Carl's credit though, despite being slightly caught off guard by Negan's harem of traumatized sex slaves, he resisted, and his story this week was probably the best storyline the boy's had on the show to date - outside of having to shoot his own mother

AV Club said:
Negan has a lot of wives, but despite talking about sex from time to time, he doesn’t seem like a guy who ever actually fucks anyone. Which actually makes sense: he uses the threat of sexual violence just like everything else, as a way to destabilize people around him.

He literally threatened that one girl's family if she "decided" to leave...it isn't even some under the surface interpretation. Yes, I'm sure all of his wives have verbally said they wanted to be with him. But if the alternative is having to work with walkers or other dangerous shit, I don't really see how that's even a choice.

Amikami

Banned

I see. I don't have much patience for you one way or another, but you come off as a better person by saying you're trolling. At any rate, I'll answer your last set of questions. No he never threatened to cut of any of the women's arms. I was using that as an example for you.

Negan has threatened women by saying that he'll send her and her family to the fence which is as good a punishment as death for those working the fence. Negan threatened to kill her husband because they ran off...because he was gunna force Sherry's sister to marry him. So I ask you to answer my question, if you were told to marry someone you very much hated, or have you and your family sentenced to live out the rest of their days doing manual hard ass labor that they will very likely get killed doing before dying of old age, would you do it to give you and your family a better life and a fighting chance? Would you have considered it to have been forced upon you even if you were technically given a choice, and if you were forced, wouldn't you consider any sexual acts rape? Answer these questions honestly and show me you aren't a troll or extraordinarily ill taught.

Also, this is the tv show, not the comic. Whatever happens on the comic doesn''t necessarily apply for the show becuase if that the case, from what I'm hearing, Negan as a character would have never burned the beds,
Judith should be
dead,
and Sophia should be
alive.

dustyherb

Yes he is. Also he showed some humanity when apologizing to Carl.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Yes, but it's heavily implied that walking away from him will be very bad for her family. They get some kind of easier quality of life because she's his wife.

Exactly. Nice family you got there, would be a shame if something happened to them = still rape.

The Kree

Banned
Morgan is a fine actor but he can't save Negan. Shit character stuck in the middle of a shit story. My feelings haven't changed a bit since the first episode.

Also, fuck Carl.

Holy fuck.

Probably trolling, but, if genuine, this is legitimately fucking despicable.

Shame on you, man.

So when someone threatens a women with violence if they don't have sex with them and the women complies under threat of violence, it's not rape?

bitbydeath

Marry me or I'll do X to you.

Part in bold is incorrect, as he never threatens them. He even said he has never laid a hand on them.

It is Marry me and you'll get better treatment than the others. (Food, Drink, Room, etc)

He is offering and not taking, that is the difference.

I see. I don't have much patience for you one way or another, but you come off as a better person by saying you're trolling. At any rate, I'll answer your last set of questions. No he never threatened to cut of any of the women's arms. I was using that as an example for you.

Negan has threatened women by saying that he'll send her and her family to the fence which is as good a punishment as death for those working the fence. Negan threatened to kill her husband because they ran off...because he was gunna force Sherry's sister to marry him. So I ask you to answer my question, if you were told to marry someone you very much hated, or have you and your family sentenced to live out the rest of their days doing manual hard ass labor that they will very likely get killed doing before dying of old age, would you do it to give you and your family a better life and a fighting chance? Would you have considered it to have been forced upon you even if you were technically given a choice, and if you were forced, wouldn't you consider any sexual acts rape? Answer these questions honestly and show me you aren't a troll or extraordinarily ill taught.

Also, this is the tv show, not the comic. Whatever happens on the comic doesn''t necessarily apply for the show becuase if that the case, from what I'm hearing, Negan as a character would have never burned the beds,
Judith should be
dead,
and Sophia should be
alive.

That punishment for working the fence was only brought up because Amber cheated on Negan with Mark. She doesn't cheat, no threat is given. If I were given that choice I would marry, but that's not how it works at The Sanctuary.

We have seen other women who get to live just fine and aren't one of Negans wives in 6x13 when Maggie and Carol are captured and as far as we know they weren't even working for points. Though, they do get punished for stealing like Sherry, Dwight, and Tina because one woman lost her pinky finger for stealing gas to search for her dead boyfriend who Daryl killed. But as far as we know that guy wasn't working for points either or working the fence because he was out with "Timmy and dick brigade".

Am I making any sense here man or does it just all sound like bullshit?

Holy fuck.

Probably trolling, but, if genuine, this is legitimately fucking despicable.

Shame on you, man.

Hey, man, I'm just starting a discussion. I made a similar post on a few other forums to get other peoples opinions on the matter and I had 34 people respond to me. Surprise, surprise 22 people agreed with me that it's not rape. The other 12 people disagreed and were respectable about it, unlike you. I beg you to state your opinion on the matter and support it. I'm somebody who is just fine with changing his mind, but calling me despicable and to be ashamed of myself is not going to make that happen.

So when someone threatens a women with violence if they don't have sex with them and the women complies under threat of violence, it's not rape?

Negan never threatened these women with violence other than Sherry but that is because she, Dwight and Tina stole valuable supplies from Negan. Negan never threatened Amber with violence other than working the fence but that is because cheated on Negan. That is breaking a rule just like what Sherry, Dwight and Tina did.

I've seen a lot of things on GAF - blind fanboys of multimillion dollar corporations defending the shittest of business practices you can imagine

But I never thought I'd see someone who's such an enormous fanboy of a fictional character that they'll defend rape for them.

P.S. Negan sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom