• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 7, Part 1 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBboy20

Hiroyuki Sanada going to space again?!
image.php

I really was unsure about this Khary Payton guy playing Ezekiel as I had never heard of him, but he really is doing a great job.
You probably have heard his voice before.

That Cowboy Bebop shirt. 👍
IKR!?

The One and Done™;222223039 said:
Fuck she's gorgeous
IKR!?

eFKac

I'm in the kill Carol camp. Her character arc is going full circle now, I don't need anymore of it.

Decent episode. The kingdom is a silly place but I like Ezekiel and Gerard Butler.
I don't know about the zombie feeding thing. You're gambling on not being the sole provider of pigs to the Saviours, and if you are, they could trace it back and you're royally fucked.

I need more Negan in my life though, hopefully next episode.

Corpsepyre

Banned
What the hell was this episode?! GAAAAAH, this show can be so infuriating at times!

All the 'small talk' scenes where they sit down for lengthy chats get on my nerves. There's also NO reason why they have 16 episodes for this.

Gaz_RB

What the hell was this episode?! GAAAAAH, this show can be so infuriating at times!

All the 'small talk' scenes where they sit down for lengthy chats get on my nerves. There's also NO reason why they have 16 episodes for this.

You just want all violence all the time?

web01

Cgi tiger was super lame.
They could have filmed a real tiger and recomposed the shot or whatever.
It didn't look cheap but it still looked really bad. Looked like something from a children's fantasy movie, it could have talked and I would not have been surprised.

jond76

Banned
Cgi tiger was super lame.
They could have filmed a real tiger and recomposed the shot or whatever.
It didn't look cheap but it still looked really bad. Looked like something from a children's fantasy movie, it could have talked and I would not have been surprised.

Wow, I thought the tiger was great. The whole thing every time was CGI?

The only time I thought CGI was the shot of it laying on the porch and I thought "that neck chain is CGI."

I'm usually very sensitive to CGI and this fooled me. Well done to them.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I want there to be some good, compelling drama. They can't direct or write such scenes for shit without dozing me out!
I mean this was one of the better slower episodes and probably one of the funniest episodes in a long time. Did you just not like the characters?

Sapiens

I know this episode HAD to happen because we get the same damn thing every time there is a new "community" to explore, but the least they could have done it pushed it back a little. I don't usually backseat show run, but they really should have followed up last week with a look at Alexandria and forming some sort of plan to cope or deal with the new world order.

Pretty predictable placement, predictable story and every scene was cliched. Oh well.

Also, they need to stop with the song interludes. They suck so much ass.

When will this show embrace it's artlessness and focus on exploiting the crowd pleasing garbage that it really is?

*I wonder if they borrowed the mesh for that tiger form life of pi?

So once Rick and King team up to take down Negan, what will be the aftermath? Ricktator will not be ok with King Ezekial and his flock of docile sheep.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I mean this was one of the better slower episodes and probably one of the funniest episodes in a long time. Did you just not like the characters?

That's most likely a problem, yes. Couldn't wrap my head around the new character, Ezekiel, and that kid, and their two extremely lengthy sequences, one with Morgan, and one with Carol, really bogged things down for me. We'll see where this goes, but I'm just more interested in Rick's team/plot right now.

Bandit1

I enjoyed a more lighthearted episode, Ezekiel and Shiva were great, and I don't even mind that she's CG, looked pretty good anyway.

So once Rick and King team up to take down Negan, what will be the aftermath? Ricktator will not be ok with King Ezekial and his flock of docile sheep.
I dunno. Rick has his idea of how prepared people need to be, but he also doesn't want to interfere too much. I'm sure he feels burned by Alexandria and how it's turned out so far, but I don't see him declaring war on The Kingdom just because of an ideological difference.

Anyone else feel like the introduction of Ezekiel felt like something out of Sunset Overdrive?

Post-apocalypse tropes are a wonderful thing.

As far the tainted meat goes there is no evidence that shows people will turn right? Thought is was far more of a "fuck you" while still being compliant.

And Morgan's disciple's dad is definitely in custody of Negan. Zeke was sure covering up his death story from the first savior encounter.

As far the tainted meat goes there is no evidence that shows people will turn right? Thought is was far more of a "fuck you" while still being compliant.

And Morgan's disciple's dad is definitely in custody of Negan. Zeke was sure covering up his death story from the first savior encounter.

Why use resources to feed those goons?

Enco

Brilliant episode.

It's much needed after the last. Lol at people wanting more drama/violence after we saw a couple of heads getting mashed in.

Brilliant episode.

It's much needed after the last. Lol at people wanting more drama/violence after we saw a couple of heads getting mashed in.
Theres no satisfying people who want to complain about everything.

Last week it was omg this is too much worst show in the world.

Now its zomg this is so boring worst show in the world

If there's a balance, zomg this show wants to be something it isnt. Worst show in the world!

jett

D-Member
Ezekiel was great. I like the whole Kingdom deal, just a bit disappointed he dropped the act at the end, would've been funnier if he was just that nuts.

And Shiva is definitely one of the more comic book-level idiocies I've seen in the show. Just doesn't make any sense.

dustyherb

Ya I'm pretty sure people wouldn't just turn. I definitely think there's a chance it could cause people to get sick tho. Cause something similar to what happened in the prison during season 4. But ya I mostly just think it's a fuck you.

Damn that actually makes sense since Negan took Daryl. Seems like he wants to take important people from the communities so they fall in line.

This reminds me a lot of the episode where Rick & Daryl got played by Jesus. I'm glad the writers were aware of the fact that the audience would need a pick me up after the premiere.

Loved Ezekiel's introduction. The chemistry between him and Carol was palpable. I'm liking Morgan taking on a protégé as well.

And Richard from The Kingdom looks exactly like The Governor, to a distracting degree.

Yeah it was quite fun.

Yup, it's interesting, I wasn't expecting that to happen with Morgan.

I enjoyed a more lighthearted episode, Ezekiel and Shiva were great, and I don't even mind that she's CG, looked pretty good anyway.

Agreed, I thought the tiger looked quite good.

Ya I'm pretty sure people wouldn't just turn. I definitely think there's a chance it could cause people to get sick tho. Cause something similar to what happened in the prison during season 4. But ya I mostly just think it's a fuck you.

Damn that actually makes sense since Negan took Daryl. Seems like he wants to take important people from the communities so they fall in line.

Yeah.
Can't wait for next week.

bidguy

Banned
so did they just say fuck it and change the episode order ? i remember last weeks promo being about rick and his people

raindoc

What do the saviours think they feed the pigs? Obviously the dead..

Anything but the dead. Pigs feed on pretty much anything, including carrion, but a walker that's been decomposing and building up bacteria/toxins for weeks or maybe even months (at least enough to kill a man with the smallest bite)? Hardly.

Well what do you know? The Verge said they were quitting Walking Dead, but one week later they're serving up another review/recap for Season 7 Episode 2.
I love when people say the premier was "laughably violent" or something to that effect. Guess what? That's called a coping mechanism. The funnier you found it, the more it was affecting you so much that you had to convince yourself it was something else.

It's not the first time I read it too, one or two in this thread said it just made them laugh too.

Sadist

Dear townspeople, King Eziekel has arrived. Great introduction and yay Shiva.

The pig bit was pretty amazing. Had some serious Hannibal flashback with the pig eating the walker. But you know, less dead.

RS4-

That wasn't bad.

And what's this about Chloe Bennett. Is she somehow in this.

edit - oh she was on talking dead. Lolol.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Wow, I thought the tiger was great. The whole thing every time was CGI?

The only time I thought CGI was the shot of it laying on the porch and I thought "that neck chain is CGI."

I'm usually very sensitive to CGI and this fooled me. Well done to them.

They're apparently also incorporating animatronics in there too.

I love when people say the premier was "laughably violent" or something to that effect. Guess what? That's called a coping mechanism. The funnier you found it, the more it was affecting you so much that you had to convince yourself it was something else.

FIRE

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
That's most likely a problem, yes. Couldn't wrap my head around the new character, Ezekiel, and that kid, and their two extremely lengthy sequences, one with Morgan, and one with Carol, really bogged things down for me. We'll see where this goes, but I'm just more interested in Rick's team/plot right now.
I think them getting this plot over with was probably a good thing, however I am pretty sad that we have to wait another week to see Rick & Co.

I'm about 10 minutes in to the new episode and man I should really drop this show. It's beyond awful at this point.
You want to state why?

Azzanadra

Decent episode, I enjoy the world building- Alexandria marked a permanent change for the show, its no longer about moving around and constantly surviving, but rather I think the story going forward will be about being situated in one location.

This was a pretty good episode after how infuriating I found the premiere. The guy playing Ezekiel was great, really dug his voice. And Carol wasn't as annoying as she had been last season. Also I really tend to enjoy the episode with Morgan.

Indelible

The tonal shift of this show is to much, I went from being on the edge of my seat last week to being pretty bored this week. That might be my biggest problem with this show, it just isn't consistent from week to week.

border

To be fair that is a different writer and they address it in the review.

The final edition of Walking Dead Quitters Club was bylined by Nick Statt and Bryan Bishop. It says right there in the headline, "We're done". Not "One of us is done". The end of the article is says "Our Quitting Likelihood after 'The Day Will Come When You Won’t Be': 100%". Our quitting likelihood.

So now a week later Nick Statt is writing new episode recaps on the premise that he never quit, and that he in fact wants Bryan to start watching again. So he either quit and then decided to come back 6 days later, or he never quit in the first place. It strikes me as the height of hypocrisy to criticize the Walking Dead for unearned shock and false drama, when you can't even run your Walking Dead column without resorting to fake shock and false drama.

It's also just a hilarious microcosm of what goes on in The Walking Dead fan communities online -- show does something that upsets people, many of them claim that they're quitting for good this time, then most of them return next season anyway.

The tonal shift of this show is to much, I went from being on the edge of my seat last week to being pretty bored this week. That might be my biggest problem with this show, it just isn't consistent from week to week.
Not even that, they shoulda just continued after the slaughter with rick going back to alexandria and telling everybody what happened. Woulda have been a nom action episode but still exciting

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Not even that, they shoulda just continued after the slaughter with rick going back to alexandria and telling everybody what happened. Woulda have been a nom action episode but still exciting

Because there are characters who haven't been addressed yet. Carol and Morgan ended off on a bit of a cliffhanger last season as well.

But the real reason is in this very thread, mainly the posts from a week ago. This episode was intentionally there to lighten the mood and inject some optimism into the story. If they had continued with Rick & Co it's going to be about grief. There isn't an optimistic angle coming from that set of stories in the near future. At least here they were able to calm down the people who thought this was all too cruel.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
But the real reason is in this very thread, mainly the posts from a week ago. This episode was intentionally there to lighten the mood and inject some optimism into the story. If they had continued with Rick & Co it's going to be about grief. There isn't an optimistic angle coming from that set of stories in the near future. At least here they were able to calm down the people who thought this was all too cruel.

Exactly.

It's always smart to break up the bleakness with some hope and humor every now and then, but it was necessary to follow that premiere with an episode like this. Plus, The Walking Dead has always been criticized for being unrelentingly bleak, so this was also their way of showing that they've taken those criticisms to heart.

Double plus, Morgan and Carol have been in The Kingdom for what, a week now? Assuming Rick and Co's story next week (or the week after, if next week just focuses on Daryl and Negan) picks up after the events of episode 2 and not episode 1, then that means the writers will have smartly jumped over a good chunk of their initial grieving. I mean, we've been through that song and dance more than a couple of times now, so I don't think it's really necessary to see what happens - immediately - after they return to Alexandria.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom